HOIK! [Guide] - Rapid Player/NPC/Etc Transport Using Only Sloped Tiles.

Hello! May I ask a question about how to improve an elevator, if it's possible. I tried to make this one
2015-08-08_145144.jpg to be fully mechanical, and failed.
After adding some wires it started working but I had no choice which way to go.
2015-08-10_221351-horz.jpg Obviously, I could move only via big or small circle. I used it in one of the arenas.
After some thought I added more floors, much more wires, levers & actuators, a plate on the top to reset them all and doubled the plate with a switch, just to be sure.
elv_all.jpg
2015-08-10_215530.jpg
And after all it's not so smart an evident as I'd like. One has to remember which way leads every combination of the levers and it's a bit frustrating. Is there a way?

Last edited:
Hello! May I ask a question about how to improve an elevator...
Not certain what you are trying to achieve here; seems like you've made things a little over-complicated. Try and strip things back to their bare essentials again. If you want just an up 'elevator' with stops where you have to click to go up again, then try figure 6 in diagram 1:
If you want and up and down in the same shaft then you'll need to actuate (all) the teeth (so only the up *or* down teeth are solid at any given time). e.g. fig 15 in diagram 2:
Note that you don't need a horizontal lead-in to the up hoiks and it's just as easy to have the first tooth at head height.

Anyone know of a way to make up/down hoiks that intersect with a horizontal minecart rail but do not interfere with its operation? As in, people traveling through on minecarts would not be forced to go around it by dismounting... for example.

up/down hoiks that intersect with a horizontal minecart rail but do not interfere with its operation?
It is very easy with wires. You need one actuator for each meaningful tooth connected with two plates on platforms - before and after the tooth (or blocks). In fact, a railway doesn't work like platforms and can not prevent your moving down, so you don't need to electrify the rails.
Capture 2015-08-29 09_32_08.png 2015-08-29_100449.jpg

I am attempting to build a hoik transport system to move me from my house around the map (and back), instead of a teleporter system. I am using the figure 15 switched up/down to move up down (positions A to B). And I'd like to be able to flip a different switch to travel to another position (C). Then I'd like to hit a switch and go back to A. Position D is just part of my newest attempt to get the C to A track to work properly. A to B works, B to A works, A to C works, and C to D works. I need help getting C to A, or D to A to work. Images below.
RxAa8tn.png

wiring
pP9RWi7.png

Edit: I have solved it. Pictures follow. the second pair are how I'll set the outputs into different NPC's homes
LD0GhMR.png

VRzuhxG.png

Bs9FlvM.png

b98uz2s.png

Last edited:
I've run into another problem. When sending the player from an NPC house back to the storage area, if the player travels from one of the lower bank of houses, they travel just fine. But if they start in the upper bank, they get stuck. Which is odd because the connecting setup is the same for both. Images follow.
upload_2015-9-8_19-43-42.png

upper bank

upload_2015-9-8_19-43-52.png

lower bank

upload_2015-9-8_19-44-8.png
I
Where I get stuck

index.php
I
Where I get stuck
The down tooth to the right of your (almost invisible) shoulder doesn't have a clear 1 tile gap below it. I.e. the player needs a full 1 tile gap below them when overlapping that tooth. This will kick you 2 tiles to the left on the return leg. So them you get remove that troublesome head height tooth that you're standing on. From there you will either need to shuffle all the head height 'top' teeth one tile to the left, or have a waist height one to realign you with the existing run. (There's a few different ways to solve this, of course.) :)

I'd personally turn the slope on the upwards teeth the other way around too. But it doesn't actually matter, provided you stay perfectly still.

Thank you for the discovery of the hoik and the excellent tutorials how to build and use them. :)

Thanks to this i was able to farm a RoD!

In honor of the hoik we build a simple hoik loop in our underground minecart ride:
mwtcMKz.gif

ty, i will post it when its done. Still working on it :)
Hoik loop will be the only hoik mechanics in it sadly, cause its a server and if i remember correctly that this causes hoiks to sometimes behave glitchy (ex. people get sometimes stuck in the loop cause of latency)... correct me if im wrong :)

ty, i will post it when its done. Still working on it :)
Hoik loop will be the only hoik mechanics in it sadly, cause its a server and if i remember correctly that this causes hoiks to sometimes behave glitchy (ex. people get sometimes stuck in the loop cause of latency)... correct me if im wrong :)

I never had such troubles on servers, the hoik code might be handled client-side.

its a server and if i remember correctly that this causes hoiks to sometimes behave glitchy
It depends how you combine them with wiring. For example, when using servers there tends to be a few tick delay between hitting a plate and the block states changing, so you might not get diverted properly in some hoiktronic mechanisms. Plain, solid hoiks should work ok (I think), but sometimes weird graphical glitches happen, like invisible mobs/player, while in transit. I'm not much of one for connected play though :indifferent:).

do you think there's any way to HOIK on console without crashing the game?
Yes, it should be no problem, as far as I know. Mobile and console uses have posted many creations that I've seen. Unless you've just had a bad update (that will have affected many other players), I expect you are just unlucky. Which console is it?

Also, what is it, exactly that you are trying to do when your game crashes? Where in the world are you, etc?

Yes, it should be no problem, as far as I know. Mobile and console uses have posted many creations that I've seen. Unless you've just had a bad update (that will have affected many other players), I expect you are just unlucky. Which console is it?

Also, what is it, exactly that you are trying to do when your game crashes? Where in the world are you, etc?
I am on PS4, I just stand still when I am using HOIK, the 2 times my PS4 crashed are:
1. HOIKed into the lihazard wall and 2 when I tried "super fast horizontal movement".
maybe I am just unlucky.

maybe I am just unlucky
Maybe. Like I say, don't think I've heard of such troubles before. If using player hoiks is what's causing you trouble (not just a coincidence, etc), then it might be to do with rendering: changing lighting modes can crash the PC version when going even faster (portal based hyper-speed tricks, after 1.3 update). So maybe, if you have continued troubles, the only thing I can suggest is switch to a different lighting setting... (Presuming you have trippy, white, color, etc modes in settings.)

Maybe. Like I say, don't think I've heard of such troubles before. If using player hoiks is what's causing you trouble (not just a coincidence, etc), then it might be to do with rendering: changing lighting modes can crash the PC version when going even faster (portal based hyper-speed tricks, after 1.3 update). So maybe, if you have continued troubles, the only thing I can suggest is switch to a different lighting setting... (Presuming you have trippy, white, color, etc modes in settings.)
PS4's Graphic settings are locked at High quality and Color lighting, but I think that zooming in might prevent crashes.

hoik stairs technique
So you get hoiked up as you walk to the right? There have been a few that have worked in this way, posted in replies here, and in the (history section) of the top post. Is your's fairly smooth, or a bit sticky to get into? (Could make a gif to demonstrate.:))

Back
Top Bottom