How do you feel about RNG in Terraria?

some drops feel like they take 2 years to obtain when you have your mind set on them.
but when you dont mean to get them, you do.
it hurts.

When within reason it's fine, but the game devs seem to have a hard-on for RNG, and almost everything leads back to it... It's quite annoying tbh. Want that item that makes placing walls much faster? Gotta wait for the random chance of of the traveling merchant to show up, while counting on the random chance of him selling said item to you, or let's kill this boss 10 times in a row, even tough it's same thing every single time because i want that specific drop from him, that he won't give me. I swear they like our suffering sometimes.

I agree, RNG is annoying at times. OK, it is VERY annoying at times. So something like "drops this item on 4th kill" might be nice, as long as it's not abused of.
But what I hate the most is the Goblin Tinkerer (well, reforging, to be precise). I love the idea of reforging. And with endgame stuff it costs a lot, which is understandable. But the randomness! oh gosh the randomness! You could spend one platinum reforging a sword and finish with the modifier you stared with. I spent about 10 platinum (or more) trying to reforge all my accessories to Warding for Duke Fishron. And now I want to reforge all of them to Menacing. I spent 6 platinum on one accessory, and it isn't even Menacing yet! I would appreciate if a list of modifiers were made, so that it would be impossible to have the same modifier twice in a row!

I'm alright with RNG when it comes to everything except item drops. You can hardly prevent RNG in features such as critical hits or reforges. You can reduce the annoyance that is RNG item drops to the minimum by making craftable items that need X material drops and these drops are common drop from Y enemy, RNG is still involved, but it doesn't make you feel a pathetic unlucky :red: if you don't drop the item you want on the 1000th kill even tho the item is meant to drop with a chance of 1/1000. You're supposed to let your players know they are achieving something or they'll most likelly leave much before even starting grinding. Luck is not a factor that should be relevant when it comes to obtaining item. Bonuses are not bonuses if you did not earn them by doing something extraordinary, you do not perform extra good by being lucky.

You know why we all have hundreds of hours in Terraria? Is it from exploring? Is it from killing bosses? Or is 99.99999% of ALL OF OUR TIME wasted by grinding enemies for this ONE ITEM? Seriously.... the Ankh shield, anyone? And then when you get past the road block that you were at GUESS WHAT? YOU HIT ANOTHER ONE, AND YOU HAVE TO GRIND MORE. Playing Expert mode... every boss is a massive roadblock that you will need to grind for hours to get the right items, and then you have to build this massive elaborate arena to be able to even have a chance. Expert mode doesn't involve more skill (most of the time); it involves more GRINDING.

Is the RNG necessarily bad? I wouldn't say it's a bad concept... But it NEEDS TO BE TONED DOWN.

You know why we all have hundreds of hours in Terraria? Is it from exploring? Is it from killing bosses? Or is 99.99999% of ALL OF OUR TIME wasted by grinding enemies for this ONE ITEM? Seriously.... the Ankh shield, anyone? And then when you get past the road block that you were at GUESS WHAT? YOU HIT ANOTHER ONE, AND YOU HAVE TO GRIND MORE. Playing Expert mode... every boss is a massive roadblock that you will need to grind for hours to get the right items, and then you have to build this massive elaborate arena to be able to even have a chance. Expert mode doesn't involve more skill (most of the time); it involves more GRINDING.

Is the RNG necessarily bad? I wouldn't say it's a bad concept... But it NEEDS TO BE TONED DOWN.
I dunno about expert mode, unless you grind for money to get teleporters and chesse the bosses, it is quiet hard. On to how I feel about RNG. It Is a way of making the game longer, but also more rewarding if you grind for longer, honestly, most griniding items and weapons can be bypassed quiet easily. All you need is some bombs and grenades with a little armor and eow and boc are out leaving you with good armor and a pickaxe, go to the underworld and get molten armor, then with a molten bow you can kill wof. Hallowed mimicks drop piercing weapons for the destroyer, get his souls and use them to make a megashark, kill other two mechs. the gear from the mechs can be used on plantera and golem. THEN is when rng is a huge factor, if you are going for turtle armor, other wise, range and summoner armor don't require much grinding, and spectre only a little, move on from those teirs take on cultist, beat pillars fight moon lord.

For many things, the RNG is reasonable.

However, for some things, it is just absolutely over-the-top silly.

For example, Arkhalis. Yeah, okay, it is quite powerful early-game but it quickly loses its effectiveness as you progress through the game.

You'll always get some person who pops up and says "BUT STUFF LIKE THAT NEEDS TO BE RARE!!!!!!"

uh......why, again?

It's a nifty little thing that's fun to play with, but it is so ridiculously rare that you will probably never see one outside of the Builder's Workshop or an Adventure Map.

When items are that stinking rare, they might as well not even exist, because hardly anybody is ever going to find one anyways, and if they don't, there's an increasing chance that when they do, they'll oo and ahhh over it for..... 3 seconds before it gets tossed into a treasure chest, because face it, if you've got a Terrarian, you sure don't need that Arkhalis that you just stumbled upon while Clentaminating your world.

As for things like the Ankh Shield... I actually feel that the Ankh Shield is rather fair -- most of the items can be farmed by setting up a farm (15-20 minutes of your time, depending on what resources you have at the time) and once you get the farm going with candles, battle potions, etc... you usually get the item in 100-300 kills from my experience which really doesn't take long at all. The only part of the Ankh Shield I feel can be ridiculous is the Nazar, because if you foolishly left Normal Mode without it.... have fun starting a new Normal Mode map, because chances are... it will take you 20+ hours to get one in Hardmode because the mobs that drop it almost never spawn and there's no way to force them to spawn.

The Nazar, and one other item I feel is slightly too hard to get, and that happens to be a Moon Charm. It has the same drop rate as any other Ankh Charm item, however.... the mobs that drop it (werewolves) only appear... one night out of every 8 days. 9 minutes out of 192 minutes, or, 4.6% of your total in-game time is viable time to farm it.

Hopefully you have a good farm set up and you don't accidentally miss the correct night, because if you do... have fun waiting another mandatory three hours (you can cut it down to 2.5 hours with an Enchanted Sundial) of actual playtime before you can even TRY again.

Oh wait.... that reminds me. Fishing Accessories, esp. the Cell Phone ones.... well. Sometimes they are ridiculous, sometimes not. They just need to fix that bug that if you do more than 150 quests, it permanently resets the drop rates.

Back
Top Bottom