PC Idea: "One-Time Use" Pressure Plates?

Lycos Hayes

The Destroyer
Okay, so, in building my Castlevania: Symphony of the Night build, I realized there is quite a few places where there's one-time use pressure plates that permanently affect the castle in some way.

I know it's realistically not possible to have them be one time use in the current version, but I thought we could brainstorm how Logic Gates can help us build a psuedo one-time use mechanism that is operated once and never functional again.

Unless someone can help me understand boulder mechanics.... XD

Okay, so, in building my Castlevania: Symphony of the Night build, I realized there is quite a few places where there's one-time use pressure plates that permanently affect the castle in some way.

I know it's realistically not possible to have them be one time use in the current version, but I thought we could brainstorm how Logic Gates can help us build a psuedo one-time use mechanism that is operated once and never functional again.

Couldn't we just put an actuator under the block the pressure plate is on and then have some sort of mechanism to destroy the pressure plate item?

No, I need something that doesn't disturb the interior structure of the castle short of actuating the structures that are in the way... only once.

Hello!

Boulders are an object that cause a lot of fascinating things to happen. When you place one, it gets placed as the 2x2 Boulder tile we all know and love. Mining any of the tiles for the object, or having the 2 tile space its resting on become air, cause it to start moving.

A boulder in motion will do damage to anything in its path, and will also trigger pressure plates when applicable. So, for a one-time pressure plate, you can build something akin to a boulder trap somewhere that has background walls to prevent mobs from spawning, and have the boulder drop onto a Yellow pressure plate which sets off your actual map changes. For best results have the actuated block platform be one tile tall, then put the pressure plate directly below it.

By permanent, do you mean forever, or until you want to reset it?
If you want permanent, the boulder idea is pretty cool.
You could also use a dummy track; will try to write it out but can build to show if you'd like: The initial signal sends a dummy from teleporter 1 to 2, where it encounters an alternating up/down hoik, initially set in the down position which sends it onto the plate you want, which also sends it back to its starting position. But, that plate also alternates the hoik to be up. Every time after that, the dummy will still be sent through but over that plate, not onto. To reset, just alternate the hoik. And of course, the up hoik will need to send the dummy into another plate that sends it back to starting position, but won't send out the signal of the first plate. Is a bit particular to build of course, but not hard. But boulder is even easier so that's probably best.

As @AeonicEclipse says, basically what you are looking for is a reset track, that has been set up to activate from the get go, and has no other mechanism attatched to it that might accidentally modify it. Boulders are a viable and space efficient alternative.

Capture47.PNG
Capture47w.PNG

Last edited:
I'm not certain if that'd work, but I'd assume using an OR gate with both inputs switched off, one of the inputs connected to the pressure plate and the other one connected to the gate itself you could have it activate only once: As soon as the pressure plate is triggered, it will activate the gate's first input, which will activate the whole gate, which will in turn activate whatever mechanism you want to activate as well as activating the second input. Triggering the pressure plate again will switch off the first input, but since the second one is still active, the gate won't toggle, so no signal ist sent.

On an unrelated note, I don't think I've ever used the word "activate" as often as in this post.

You can make a one time use pressure plate by wiring it to a short hoik track. When a dummy ghost is sent down the track the first time, it hits a pressure plate along the way that toggles a hoik tooth so that any subsequent ghosts going down the track won't activate that pressure plate anymore. That pressure plate in the track can also be hooked up to other parts of the castle that you want to be altered (via red wire in the example below).

TxaTDiO.png
YeRN3M4.png

I also wanted to point out that we can accomplish almost anything in Terraria currently - if you can think it up, it can be built ;).

I also wanted to point out that we can accomplish almost anything in Terraria currently - if you can think it up, it can be built ;)

I think, perhaps, Joe that @NiraExecuto was trying to answer the OP's question in the way he asked it,

I thought we could brainstorm how Logic Gates can help us build a psuedo one-time use mechanism that is operated once and never functional again.

i.e. in what way could the Logic Gates of the upcoming update be speifically used to create a one time signal.

Hey, which group/where is this posted? I don't seem to have permission to see (and it doesn't say more than that)...

The simplest one use pressure plate setup is to have actuated half blocks either side of the plate, connected to the plate, so that they become solid and shield the plate after first use. Like this (with similar horizontal setup and a one-time boulder relay (like inoms just ninja edited into his post;))):
The first two I demonstrate could easily be setup so that they could be reset by another 1 use plate before them (in the progression of an adventure map), so that if player dies (or restarts a section) they will be able to activate them once again. The second, horizontal setup could include actuated hoik teeth to be sure the player exits on the correct side, so they don't accidentally get stuck.

Of course, how much any one-use system remains one use depends upon what gear the player is allowed to have...?

The simplest one use pressure plate setup is to have actuated half blocks either side of the plate, connected to the plate, so that they become solid and shield the plate after first use.

Oh, yeah! I forgot about the half block method--I like that one. Kind of assumes that the player won't cheat by pickaxing in an adventure map though :(

As @AeonicEclipse says, basically what you are looking for is a reset track, that has been set up to activate from the get go, and has no other mechanism attatched to it that might accidentally modify it. Boulders are a viable and space efficient alternative.

The Right one seems the best option for a SIMPLE mechanism to use currently.
Hey, which group/where is this posted? I don't seem to have permission to see (and it doesn't say more than that)...

The simplest one use pressure plate setup is to have actuated half blocks either side of the plate, connected to the plate, so that they become solid and shield the plate after first use. Like this (with similar horizontal setup and a one-time boulder relay (like inoms just ninja edited into his post;))):
The first two I demonstrate could easily be setup so that they could be reset by another 1 use plate before them (in the progression of an adventure map), so that if player dies (or restarts a section) they will be able to activate them once again. The second, horizontal setup could include actuated hoik teeth to be sure the player exits on the correct side, so they don't accidentally get stuck.

Of course, how much any one-use system remains one use depends upon what gear the player is allowed to have...?

Oh, I forgot to mention that my post was located in the Obsidian Academy. I completely derped on it and didn't realize that it is set to Private for content.

I think I'm going to go for a Boulder Tech method as it is the simplest to implement that is one-time and it can fit in the dead-space and shadowpainted.

As for gear, the map in question will not be providing anything that will allow players to destroy terrain. It's mostly a challenge to recreate the castle. Depending on the size. I MAY try building the inverted castle....

Lava removes pressure plates; you'd have to make sure it wasn't enough to settle in your castle afterwards though.

Just for completion, an alternative to @DicemanX's or @inomanoms' hoiktronic devices (with the same 'mono-stable' flip-flop logic) would be a bird statue setup like this (other mob statues are available):
Note: there is lava inside each of those bubble blocks, of course. (Other bird termination setups are possible.)

The advantage over boulder-tech is you could reset all the 1 time triggered devices with a master-reset (e.g. bird tower), say at the start of the map (rather than having to re-install the map file). Also, you could extend the bird track so as to make a door that appears to slide open a block at a time.
[doublepost=1461026363,1461003076][/doublepost]Ops, I'm a bubble block noob, didn't realise the lava would escape single tile bubbles on world reload, so best go with something more like this:

you can now use an OR gate and put some wire to itself so when it turns on, it stays on
Indeed. Thus:
Note that this type of feedback of output to input is what creates the smoke. It's presumably a safeguard to stop the gates getting stuck in infinite loops, toggling themselves on and off.

Back
Top Bottom