Game Mechanics Improving Teleporter Mechanics

Good idea?

• Yes!

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • No!

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters
What would stop someone from setting up 3 teleporters and teleporting to one then changing the frequency to easily teleport to the other one? I
It would take some time.
but keeping the old ones as well would be good for a short distance you don't want to waste a frequency on
That would also be useful to keep them working the old way as well, but the frequencies for sending and wires to receive?

@Myrmeleon Just link up multiple teleporters with different frequencies. I don't see what you're getting at.

What would stop someone from setting up 3 teleporters and teleporting to one then changing the frequency to easily teleport to the other one? I don't see how this breaks anything.

What I'm getting at is that if teleporters would work like this they would only work in pairs, severely limiting the possibilities that we currently have been working with.

What if i want to teleport from point A to point B to point C in a continuous loop to juke a boss? I don't want to waste time walking over to a seperate set of teleporters or changing its frequency every time.

This would be great, however I think it should be a different item, rather than replacing the current Teleporter item.
There is a lot of other uses for the current Teleporter which goes beyond basic travel, such as the linking two teleporters to one, and even using them to activate traps and other cool mechanics possible in Terraria.
I think that this Teleporter should be a separate item, which is fairly difficult to obtain for balance issues. Maybe something like:
1 Teleporter
50 Nanites
500 Wire
Just a suggestion of what it could be made of. If it's still too easy to obtain, maybe an item from an upcoming update could be added to the recipe, to add more challenge in getting the teleporter.
With the two different teleporters, it would hopefully suit everyone's needs. Personally, I like the idea of this, but I do kind of think that this is quite an unbalanced item to obtain for so little from the Steampunker, and shouldn't replace the current teleporter.

I still like the idea of this item very much, though it could do with some minor change.
TPKQY8m.gif

I still think that there would need to be some sort of balancing to ever work.
[DOUBLEPOST=1420330574][/DOUBLEPOST]
This would be great, however I think it should be a different item, rather than replacing the current Teleporter item.
There is a lot of other uses for the current Teleporter which goes beyond basic travel, such as the linking two teleporters to one, and even using them to activate traps and other cool mechanics possible in Terraria.
I think that this Teleporter should be a separate item, which is fairly difficult to obtain for balance issues. Maybe something like:
1 Teleporter
50 Nanites
500 Wire
Just a suggestion of what it could be made of. If it's still too easy to obtain, maybe an item from an upcoming update could be added to the recipe, to add more challenge in getting the teleporter.
With the two different teleporters, everyone would be happy. Personally, I like the idea of this, but do kind of think that this is quite an unbalanced item to obtain for so little from the Steampunker, and shouldn't replace the current teleporter.

I still like the idea of this item very much, though it could do with some minor change.
TPKQY8m.gif
Love this idea! Maybe it would need a Few tweaks though.

But would it take more time (and money) than setting up an entire network of wires and teleporters?

This is irrelevant, as that would be done once before actually using the teleporters. (Also building is a crucial element of the game, what are you trying to say here?) Changing the frequency would have to be done every time you want to change your destination, which would just be counter productive.

Well let's say that once the Wireless Teleporters are linked they stay linked unless clicked on with a certain tool and the command prompt comes up. Also it could be possible to set up a chronological order for them to teleport to in said prompt (if multiples were hooked up).

I still think that there would need to be some sort of balancing to ever work.

They why not try and suggest something instead of just not really contributing to the discussion?

T
1 Teleporter
50 Nanites
500 Wire

I believe this is a great idea but clearly the separating of the two teleporters would appease both sides of the people; those who use teleporters only to travel long distances, and those that use them in more....creative ways.

But thats a lot of wire. 5 gold worth of wire to be exact. Adding together all the materials to craft this would be about 10 gold (I think my math is correct. Kinda too lazy to actually crunch numbers right now) which would be pocket change by the time you get to the mech bosses and the steampunker.

Maybe throw in some Shroomite bars for futuristic tech? I mean it does make the hoverboard so it kinda fits.

They why not try and suggest something instead of just not really contributing to the discussion?

I believe this is a great idea but clearly the separating of the two teleporters would appease both sides of the people; those who use teleporters only to travel long distances, and those that use them in more....creative ways.

But thats a lot of wire. 5 gold worth of wire to be exact. Adding together all the materials to craft this would be about 10 gold (I think my math is correct. Kinda too lazy to actually crunch numbers right now) which would be pocket change by the time you get to the mech bosses and the steampunker.

Maybe throw in some Shroomite bars for futuristic tech? I mean it does make the hoverboard so it kinda fits.

I have suggested multiple things and here is another suggestion scroll up.

I agree definitely, I was thinking of some sort of ore to add in and completely forgot about Shroomite!
It was intentional to make the Teleporter cost around 10 Gold, as I believe that it's quite an increase compared to the normal Teleporter. However, I completely agree with the addition of Shroomite bars.
If we simply slightly modify the recipie:
1 Teleporter
50 Nanites
500 Wire
10 Shroomite Bars
It now requires the Autohammer, Chlorophyte and lots of Glowing Mushrooms. I think this nicely balances things for such a powerful, but great, item!

EDIT: Just did a proper working out of the costs: it costs exactly 32 Gold 5 Silver to buy all the Wire and Nanites and the Teleporter itself. It's quite a lot, but by the time you've defeated Plantera, it should be affordable to make a few of these. For a name, something simple such as "Wireless Teleporter" should work fine.

Last edited:
I support this. Since everybody is complaining about it being easy I suggest something:

When choosing a teleporter frequency, you will have to "pay with wires depending on how far the teleporter with the same frequency is.

For example:

Let's say I already have a teleporter (teleporter_x) set on frequency 1

And now I am placing the second one (teleporter_y) and choosing the frequency. I decide to select 1

If teleporter_y frequency = teleporter_x frequency then you will have to pay an amount of wires to link them depending on the distance they are (and maybe a plus of nanytes?)

Still, I believe that sodapone's idea is better as it is right now. if many people complain, then I think this would be a good solution.

Edit: Nevermind, I just saw the shroomite idea and it's better than mine :( . Maybe we could call it something like "Radio Teleporter"

I still deserve some likes though

Since everybody is complaining about it being easy

It's not just that this mechanic would be too easy, it's that the current teleporters work completely fine, and this would remove their creative and unique aspect. They are supposed to be a project you put time and effort in.

@Awordley You know... It's not like making wireless teleporters a seperate item is what I suggested in the fifth response to this thread. Once again we see how well people read the threads they comment on.
Anyways, I think that making it use 500 wire to craft isn't necessary. It'd just be more money grinding, which just impacts the fun. I think a Teleporter plus some nanites, shroomite and maybe a bit of wire would be enough. You could also throw in some Ectoplasm if you want it to be a bit harder to obtain, but honestly - 500 wire is just insane.

so...this will makes things easy....a LOT easier. Too easy actually.

why? if you place an unlinked teleported at home, and take a teleporter with switch to you, then you can easily build a 'magic mirror' to go back to home and go back to the place where you teleported.

I find that a bit too lame, if you place teleporters everywhere because it's so easy, then you wouldn't even enjoy a normal walk through the forest. no, you just skip everything,

"oh look, i found the lihzahrd, time to set my teleporter and lets use that when ready"
"who needs hellevators? just one time going to hell, set my teleporter, and done"
"who gives a thing that i lose time to go to my farm? I'll simply set my teleporter there"

Places you don't bother will you never visit in that way,
That's not really what I like

PS: I didn't read every post, may happen someone already said that multiple times

This is an interesting idea by itself (as it would allow to create teleporter mazes without creating a wire mess), but balance is a large question. And wires aren't that hard to put down in the current version - if you position yourself and cursor correctly, smart cursor can be used to quickly lay down wires even mid-air, which was previously a huge pain.

Am I the only one that thought this idea was stolen right out of modded mine craft?
[DOUBLEPOST=1420329508][/DOUBLEPOST]
Actually you can but thank you for pointlessly arguing instead of asking how. They are simple to figure out just require some tinkering.
I've done it right but only my npcs and teleport

@Awordley You know... It's not like making wireless teleporters a seperate item is what I suggested in the fifth response to this thread. Once again we see how well people read the threads they comment on.
Anyways, I think that making it use 500 wire to craft isn't necessary. It'd just be more money grinding, which just impacts the fun. I think a Teleporter plus some nanites, shroomite and maybe a bit of wire would be enough. You could also throw in some Ectoplasm if you want it to be a bit harder to obtain, but honestly - 500 wire is just insane.
I understand that you had made a similar post about this Teleporter suggestion being a separate item. I do remember seeing the post when I was reading through.
However, I wasn't trying to take your idea at all, I simply wanted to state my own opinions which could improve the suggestion, which happens to be the same idea as yours.
I do not believe there are any rules stating that I cannot post about an idea I have, if it is the same as someone else's. I simply suggested adding this Teleporter as a separate item, and just because you had the same idea as me and posted it before me, it doesn't mean that I cannot also state my opinion about this suggestion. It doesn't matter if we have the same idea, it's a post not a thread, multiple of the same idea is allowed.
You cannot judge how well people read through threads that they comment on, simply due to the fact that we have the same idea.

Now on topic, if you believe that 500 Wire is more of a grind, I'm happy to hear what you believe the Teleporter could be made of. What I posted is just a rough suggestion, I'm sure there's a recipe that we can both agree on.

I've done it right but only my npcs and teleport
Actually instead of pretending like you know everything you should've asked for help. The teleporters are broken yes. They do not work with switches but work with timers. This is perfect for either the three or five second timer. Or if you want to teleport the second you walk into it you can use the one second timer or a bird engine.

500 wire should cost about 25 gold... add that to the cost of the Teleporter itself and it costs 45 gold... That isn't grindy at all smash a few pots and your golden. The ratio of value to cost is favoring value. Perhaps they could sell a bundle of wires available from the mechanic that would cost 25 gold and could be used in more futuristic crafting recipes. Aside from that ectoplasm is so easy to get! Walk backwards halfways into the dungeon and swing your sword once and boom ectoplasm.

500 wire should cost about 25 gold... add that to the cost of the Teleporter itself and it costs 45 gold... That isn't grindy at all smash a few pots and your golden. The ratio of value to cost is favoring value. Perhaps they could sell a bundle of wires available from the mechanic that would cost 25 gold and could be used in more futuristic crafting recipes. Aside from that ectoplasm is so easy to get! Walk backwards halfways into the dungeon and swing your sword once and boom ectoplasm.
With "harder to obtain" I wasn't talking about an endgame character with ultimately the best possible equipment, but about the fact that someone who just unlocked the Hardmode Dungeon has a not-too-easy time there. Of course those materials are easy to get endgame. If you've beaten the game and just want to build some nice stuff, things shouldn't be too hard, because then you could get frustrated, which wouldn't be nice.
In my opinion the problem with the 500 wire is that making it cost more isn't going to change much - people can easily get money. But if the crafting requires different crafting materials from different areas, it requires a bit of work to get it - not just a bit of grinding for a bit of money, but going to a few different places. Some diversity in activities.
My proposed recipe would be this:
  • 1 Teleporter (2g50s)
  • 50 Nanites (5g)
  • 50 Wire (2g50s)
  • 10 Shroomite Bars
  • 10 Ectoplasm
Makes one Wireless Teleporter (total sell value: 15g)
In this case, if the player wanted to make, say, 10 Wireless Teleporters, they'd harvest some glowing mushrooms, then gather some Chlorophyte, then they could go to the HM Dungeon for the Ectoplasm, and then they could gather the rest of the Chlorophyte and Mushrooms. They'd need to do different things for their Teleporters, and that variety keeps the fun, instead of just standing around in an automatic money grinder while going to the toilet and afterwards buying a hundred of them.

Back
Top Bottom