Game Mechanics Improving Teleporter Mechanics

Good idea?

• Yes!

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • No!

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters
The only thing I would change is boost teleporter prices, maybe to about 5-10 gold each, otherwise this seems a bit too OP.
The idea is great though.

(I can never bother wiring teleporters and just buy the wire then use TEdit.)

What if instead we get a new Portal item from the lunar boss, which uses the same "frequency" idea to teleport you around? As it would be an endgame thing, there wouldn't be anything left to exploit unfairly, I think.

Here's an issue. Say you have A, B, and C all on the same frequency, spaced like this:

A.....B..C
If you want to go from A to B or C, you can go directly to B and need to activate it one more time to go to C. But if you wanted to go from B or C to A, you'd just endlessly warp to C or B respectively. It should just cycle you through all the teleporters on that frequency, rather than the nearest.

It would be easier if you could name a Teleporter, and when choosing which Teleporter to go to, a list of names will be brought up. There should also be a Main Teleporter. Something looking like the Teleporter from Call of Duty: Black Ops
[DOUBLEPOST=1420694610][/DOUBLEPOST]My Teleporters work with all switches and pressure plates

How about a Wireless Transmitter instead of new teleporter? They would be connected to normal teleprters to transfer signal between them. Like, you make a teleport then instead connecting another one, you connect transmitter. Then you make another teleport and link to transmitter and set the same frequency. And this makes teleport linked, but doesn't break their original mechanic.

Transmitters could also come with different types, varying in cost and range. Range would be limited, so you don't teleport anywhere too easily.

I think it sucks hardcore having to wire miles and miles and miles of wire. If someone honestly wants the currently teleporter functionality - fine - but add another teleporter type that doesn't have to be wired, PLEASE!

so...this will makes things easy....a LOT easier. Too easy actually.

why? if you place an unlinked teleported at home, and take a teleporter with switch to you, then you can easily build a 'magic mirror' to go back to home and go back to the place where you teleported.

*snip*
If you have gotten the teleporter you have most definitely gotten the magic mirror. And if you haven't I don't know what to say to you o_O

And if "making" a magic mirror makes the game so easy shouldn't magic mirrors be romoved then? No? Ok then.

Also bringing a mirror would be way more inventory smart than a lever and teleporter. It saves you a space of inventory. You know that one item you throw your dirt away for? Yea. You save space for that.

If you have gotten the teleporter you have most definitely gotten the magic mirror. And if you haven't I don't know what to say to you o_O

And if "making" a magic mirror makes the game so easy shouldn't magic mirrors be romoved then? No? Ok then.

Also bringing a mirror would be way more inventory smart than a lever and teleporter. It saves you a space of inventory. You know that one item you throw your dirt away for? Yea. You save space for that.
It's not that it acts as a magic mirror, it is that you can teleport home and back where you was.
This can of course save time, but it'll also be too boring

hmm, suppose there was an item called a transmitter, that worked on the frequency mechanic already mentioned, it would work as a remote switch that could be used to set off wiring remotely. if two transmitters are set to the same frequency, they would act as if they were wired together, attach a transmitter to a teleporter that is on the same frequency as a transmitter on another teleporter and you get taken to it. this transmitter would obviously be very end game and hard to obtain for aforementioned balance issues...

I admit this is a super rough idea, but just to add some other thoughts to the mix

Firstly, as mentioned several times by others, these new mechanics should be implemented on different teleporters rather than existing ones.

Secondly,
Right-clicking a teleporter will bring up a menu that allows you to select a frequency (0-999.)
0-999 means a thousand different frequencies, and that means to utilize all of them, you'd need to rig up 2000 teleporters in one world at least. So tell me, how many of you have actually hooked up more than 200 teleporters in one world? It is overkill. 0-99 is more than enough.

0-999 means a thousand different frequencies, and that means to utilize all of them, you'd need to rig up 2000 teleporters in one world at least. So tell me, how many of you have actually hooked up more than 200 teleporters in one world? It is overkill. 0-99 is more than enough.
Now the question with data types comes up: A Byte can store values from 0-255, so we could have frequencies from 1 to 250 (and 0 for no frequency set), but if anyone needed more than that, we'd have to take a Short (Int16), which can then store 65536 different values.
A different idea would be to use strings (text) instead of numbers. This would make it easier to remember which frequency is which, and would make it a lot easier on bigger Multiplayer servers, since you could prefix each key with your character name to avoid conflicts. This would, of course, increase RAM usage (not much, but if there's a lot of TPs, it can get significant) and potentially save file size (though only marginally, since the saves are compressed).

I don't care about the coding side, I merely said the possibility of someone using over 200 teleporters in one world is absurd. There's no point in having that many frequencies if people hardly even utilize half of them.

Firstly, as mentioned several times by others, these new mechanics should be implemented on different teleporters rather than existing ones.

Secondly,

How about on a server? You'll need more than 100 connections then.

Back
Top Bottom