Weapons & Equip Items that could use a resprite

Scarecrow

Lunatic Cultist
I think we can all agree that with the new updates, and much better sprite work, there are now quite a few veteran items that look super out of place with the updated art direction the game is taking.

I looked at quite a few items, and not only are there some that could simply be updated to look better, but there are a few that would greatly benefit from and or need a resprite. with that said, here's a bunch of resprited items.

IMO, spellbooks are in dire need of some artistic attention, they are all obviously sharing the same book sprite, which is okay and all, but then you realize that a lot of them are simple pallet swaps, and or extremely slight variation from the default water bolt sprite. the biggest offenders I found were the Demon Scythe, and the Razorblade Typhoon, being direct pallet swaps of the water bolt. And then there's the Cursed Flames, which doesn't very well fit the spell itself very well. a purple book with blue highlights shooting lime green flames seems kinda odd to me.

In the end I made these 3 re sprites

Demon Scythe
Demon_Scythe.png
Before

Demon Scythe.png
After

Cursed Flames
Cursed_Flames.png
Before

Cursed Flames.png
After

Razorblade Typhoon
Razorblade_Typhoon.png
Before

Razorblade Typhoon.png
After

This one isn't so bad that it is in dire need of a new sprite, but the thing is, they resprited the minishark to look more like a minigun, and when you look at the megashark, it looks more like a standard 1 barrel machine gun than a minigun. To me that seems like an unfitting visual upgrade. With that said, here is the new megashark

Megashark.png
Before

Megashark Redux.png
After

here's the minishark as a comparison as well
Minishark.png

essentially I made my resprite a bigger, fatter minishark with a chain of bullets being fed into the barrel.

Phaseblades have been around forever, with their sprites completely untouched. visually they are the black sheep of the meteorite set, looking like none of the other meteorite items. plus the blade itself looks more like cheep plastic with those white dent lines in it. so I took the time to completely redo the sprite, while keeping the same general shape of the handle, giving it a shade closer to the space gun, and most importantly, making the shading of the blade itself a million times better.

Red_Phaseblade.png
Before

Phaseblade.png
After

and for those that hate the pointy tip
Phasebladealternate.png

Slimes are simplistic monsters, however @MegaMage314 pointed out that they could be vastly improved. Unfortunately I'm not totally sure if I could downright fix all his issues, but none the less, I improved a few of them as an example
Red_Slime.png
Blue_Slime.png

Green_Slime.png
Black_Slime.png
before

slimes.png
after

That's all I got for the time being, and I am hoping to continue expanding this suggestion as a mini side project. if any of you think there are some sprites in the game that could use improvement, let me know in the comments, and let me what you think of the ones that you already see in the OP.

Attachments

• Eater of Souls.png
    Eater of Souls.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 449
  • EoW.png
    EoW.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 471
  • Corrupter.png
    Corrupter.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:
I thought most of those sprites were fine. The only thing that could be changed is the lightsaber's color schemes. The handle should be meteorite that is tinted the color of the blade, and the blade itself should be more colorful.

I like everything except the Megashark resprite. Just seems kinda weird.
...weird how? you can't just say "dun like, is weird" and move on.

I thought most of those sprites were fine. The only thing that could be changed is the lightsaber's color schemes. The handle should be meteorite that is tinted the color of the blade, and the blade itself should be more colorful.
are you kidding? the phasesabers as they are, are so oversaturated with color, that they don't even look like they are made of light. any more and they will have barely any shading at all.

Last edited:
Some of the old slime sprites definitely have to be redone, a lot of them don't even follow the 2x2 pixel rule.
lots of those slime sprites are just from the game naturally resizing the original slime sprite to make it bigger. It does it with weapons too, so I'm not so sure if I can do much about that. However, I did heavily improve the shading of said sprite
slimes.png

I like the spells but I don't like the corruption enemy resprites as the colours just are too bright for the corruptions dark feel for instance EoW resprite is pretty much Peach, the megashark resprite as I prefer the old one, the top of the phasesaber being slanted I just don't like and the slime sprites seem too bright for my taste

Last edited:
i like the demon scythe, the cursed flames, and the razorblade typhoon, and i like the slime and megashark sprites, although i wouldn't replace the old sprites with those ones, and i don't feel the eaters really fit the corruption theme, although those sprites would work pretty well in terraria otherworld.

I like this, the only thing i find weird is the megashark's tail, but other than that this is a great suggestion

yeah okay, all you ever do when you see my sprites is say "sorry they are bad"
you never explain why, you never point out mistakes.

basically all you're doing is giving me a big ":red: you, you suck."

either give me constructive criticism, or don't comment at all.

Okay, here are some actual reasons. The spell books don't look to bad, besides being a bit extravagant, but he slimes look a little too retro, with the bright sheen and a dark outline, and the corruption monsters just don't really look like they belong in the corruption, with all the bright greens and purples. Changing the phase blades is kind of nice, but it looks a bit bright, like a there is a transparent sheen covering it.

While I understand what you are aiming for, I can not come to accept your rendition of the Eater Family... Something about the shade of purple you used and slight stylistic choices you made seem to turn me away. Then again, it may simply be my ignorance after years of playing with the original sprites. Despite that however everything seems well done and would get my seal of approval.

aren't your new eater sprites based on Terraria: Other World? maybe that's why they don't fit with the original Terraria.

Okay, here are some actual reasons. The spell books don't look to bad, besides being a bit extravagant, but he slimes look a little too retro, with the bright sheen and a dark outline, and the corruption monsters just don't really look like they belong in the corruption, with all the bright greens and purples. Changing the phase blades is kind of nice, but it looks a bit bright, like a there is a transparent sheen covering it.
well to remedy those complaints with my reasoning

first of all, in case you didn't notice, Terraria is taking a huge stylistic overhaul. It would probably justify my reasoning for this thread more to compare my sprites to sprites that were added to 1.2 and later. The new sprites are a lot better shaded, and a lot more colorful than they were in the past.

I purposely made the spellbooks complex to make them more distinguishable from one another. I suppose I should do the Crystal Storm as well then to justify them a bit more.

I'm not sure how they appear to not belong in the corruption. all of them aside from the corruptor share the same color pallet, only a bit more saturated to accommodate modern Terraria sprites, they have the same general shape, I made them a bit more pink to make them look more like purplish rotting flesh than cat poop. (considering they drop rotten chunks of flesh) The corruptor I suppose I should have explained, I stylized it around cursed flames. I think it would be cooler if their spit was replaced by a bolt of cursed flames, and they will drop said item instead of world feeders.

I'm not sure what you mean by the slimes, I might just have lower contrast on my monitor.

as for the phaseblade... again contrast, but its a sword made of light, not a bent plastic toy. which is why it has pure white in it.

well to remedy those complaints with my reasoning

first of all, in case you didn't notice, Terraria is taking a huge stylistic overhaul. It would probably justify my reasoning for this thread more to compare my sprites to sprites that were added to 1.2 and later. The new sprites are a lot better shaded, and a lot more colorful than they were in the past.

I purposely made the spellbooks complex to make them more distinguishable from one another. I suppose I should do the Crystal Storm as well then to justify them a bit more.

I'm not sure how they appear to not belong in the corruption. all of them aside from the corruptor share the same color pallet, only a bit more saturated to accommodate modern Terraria sprites, they have the same general shape, I made them a bit more pink to make them look more like purplish rotting flesh than cat poop. (considering they drop rotten chunks of flesh) The corruptor I suppose I should have explained, I stylized it around cursed flames. I think it would be cooler if their spit was replaced by a bolt of cursed flames, and they will drop said item instead of world feeders.

I'm not sure what you mean by the slimes, I might just have lower contrast on my monitor.

as for the phaseblade... again contrast, but its a sword made of light, not a bent plastic toy. which is why it has pure white in it.

Copying Shadedragon, its quite clear that your resprites don't really fit in with the corruption. Anyways, with everything else, okay.
ayE7uHh.png

QLZZFvK.png

index.php
index.php

They look better. I know they are going to change the slime sprites a little, by making them more transparent.

Back
Top Bottom