Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Desert Fossils are intended to be for the creation of ranged weapons that is why i initially suggested making it a viable option and variant to necro as it's about the same difficulty to get now.

Same difficulty? You have to kill a boss to get access to Necro. The Underground Desert has no such gate-keeper.

Also, the desert isn't that tough. It definitely requires being on your toes, and it has environmental hazards. But even with just Gold Armor, you should be fine if you're using a weapon with any kind of range.

A boss you can literately cheese with explosive bunnies on all difficulties. Mind you, Skeletron is the easiest boss to cheese. Always has been.

6. When we designed Black Spot, the original goal was "a mount that's good for doing long distance travel, and bad for fights", and it just didn't really occur to us that people would use it for boss kiting, and that wasn't intended. So yeah, its probably going to get nerfed pretty substantially, which I'm sad to see, because its fun, but it ended up being used in a way that was more broken than we intended.
Please don't over do nerfing it, was the bright spot of my Master Mode playthrough.

On the topic of the rocket launcher: when you combine it with the shroomite armor and other ranged accessories you've acquired at this point in the game it inflicts catastrophic amounts of self-damage when you get caught in the blast zone of the rocket (ranging from 100+ damage to 200+ damage when in stealth). The payoff you get for using the weapon doesn't seem to be worth the risk considering the number of enemies that charge at you, quickly putting you in a situation where a direct hit with a rocket would hit you as well. I think the self-damage could be cut down by 30-50%... anything that would get it out of the triple digits.

I also wanted to voice some support for 1.4 in response to some suggestions.

On Zenith: Assuming that you're going to obtain this on your own without using multiple worlds, you'd be lucky to obtain the two Moon Lord swords you needed from killing him even 10 times, with each of those swords being 1 of 9 possible rewards. Then on top of that you need an enchanted sword, which you probably won't find in the wild, so you have to fish for golden crates and hope for a 2% drop from them. You should be long done with all of the game's content by this point so there's nothing to balance it against.

On summoners: I don't understand the taboo against using weapons from other classes. I like to suit up in spider armor in early hardmode to keep enemies off my back while I'm trying to explore, mine, farm, etc., but I don't see why I should be obligated to just stand there while the spiders work, or put myself in danger to use a whip just because it deals summon damage as opposed to some other kind of damage. There's also a clear and viable path for summoners to get started early on: for whips craft snapthorn, and for armor and summons kill queen bee. You can restrict yourself to only using summoner weapons to kill queen bee, but that's more of a self-imposed challenge than something I feel like the game balance needs to account for. I guess there's some debate over whether you still deserve to be called a summoner if you, say, suit up in bee armor, summon a bunch of imps, and equip a minishark...

Rainbow Crystal Staff with max sentry buffs still does worst than any Plantera weapons. I get that sentries are supposed to be free damage, but you did expect better results from maxing your sentry damage (which requieres you to wear Valhalla armor and one sentry equipment) and using one of Moon Lord's drops, which usually kills most bossess in the game in few seconds.
Same could be said about Lunar Portal Staff, but at least it can help a bit agaist the Celestial Pillars. But I really hope either their damage or speed get a decent buff.

Just an update from my end guys, I've been reviewing my feedback list, and been doing number crunching/analysis of the proposals and the equipment it would impact, and have started converting some of it into formal proposals.

Worth noting I've got about 150 notes in my feedback list, and while some are quick review, and some are far more time consuming, so it'll be a process working through it. I'm about 20% done processing stuff so far.

Once the entire proposal list is finalized, I'll have to get approval from Red/Cenx, and then discuss feasibility with Yorai. Some stuff might be a good idea, but end up taking a lot of time that could be spent getting better returns elsewhere, so it both needs an official sign-off and a "we'll spend the time on it" sign-off. And from there, I'll start spear-heading implementation, which usually takes a lot less longer than the review process itself. :)

I'll keep adding notes to the list as I'm working, I haven't "closed" discussion on it yet, so no need to worry there, but I figured it would be nice to share a status update!

I think there should be a balance where corruption, crimson and hollow can't spread to nearby pylons in villages. I think this is needed becouse most of your towns get destroyed in hard mode by the world evil and by hollow. In the current state you enter hardmode and pray that at least some of your villages survive so you dont have to move them, but the reality is that probably 70% of the villages you built are now ruined.

On summoners: I don't understand the taboo against using weapons from other classes.

The logical argument goes that melee, range, and magic are considerably less beholden to trying to juggle damage types. Even granting that magic also has a persistent curse in mana sickness (and MP refilling slower the more you use, amid expensive/spam-necessary weapons), making it the only class that gets told to stop attacking or be kneecapped. And yes, mana stars are a thing, but A) require being discomfortingly close for a squishy wizard even with a magnet, and B) are limited in availability during boss fights because mob spawns are counterproductive and statues have a spawn limit, so I don't understand why in getting three upgrades for the mana flower which I understand was very unpopular due to mana sickness, none of the upgrades even slightly take the edge off it. Whiiiile ranged got to have infinite basic boolet/arrow items so that even people with terrible aim can fire infinitely. But I digress.
Summoner was even given whips so they could have a non-minion weapon that runs on the same damage type, but that too has it's foibles. Limited selection, insufficient range for the fact that summoner armors are comparitively paper even post-moonlord (barring the sentry-specific crossover event sets, but that's... it's own bugaboo, the sentry-specific angle that smacks of "we didn't expect people to ever use these outside the event" which is a recurring theme lately, that apparently noone expects anything that people would logically do, even things that are almost as old as the game itself, much less that people might not follow a strict pattern in a sandbox game... yes, I'm a grump.), no seriously if you're going to say "you have a way to attack without direct involvement so you don't need defense" then you'd need to actually make summons themselves effective enough in general to justify it - I'm fine with actively involving myself, but there's definitely room for improvement. If melee guys get free infinite ranged elements to weapons of their damage type because getting close to lategame bosses is generally a bad idea, then I see little reasonability in asking the guy in the thinnest armor to do what the guy in the thickest armor is prevented from having to do. And the fact that four out of six(treating the four OOA things as one because they can't stack and work identically save for two not working with brand of the inferno's blocking gimmick, but that's outside the purview of summoner anyway and likely also on the "we only thought you'd use that for the event" theory list.) summoner-specific accessories are post-plantera is it's own hangup.

When the lunar events were added, and there were four pillars, one per primary damage type (Or strictly speaking, at the point WoF started dropping a summoner emblem), that cemented summoner being a "main" class, regardless of after-the-fact claims. It's alone in still being told "well you're not supposed to do that, hybridize" in the manner it's being told. There's keeping a goldenshower or similarly "important-for-side-effects-rather-than-damage" weapon on hand for utility, and then there's "well don't actually try to stick to your damage type for your primary output". Perhaps this whole thing wouldn't have come up if all weapons did the same kind of damage, but we're not in that period of the game's life anymore. Outside the awkward bonus spread on the Old One's Army stuff, there are two properly hybrid armors (one melee/range, one magic/summon) in the entire game, and three sets in the entire game that affect damage globally without helmet swap "fit a single category anyway" traits (technically four with the gi, but that's not a set and it's also not hardmode AKA "most of the game" friendly), and three non-categorized damage accesories. Even with damage% reforges, overall design does not encourage trying to not stick primarily to a single type.

I see little reasonability in asking the guy in the thinnest armor to do what the guy in the thickest armor is prevented from having to do.
Exactly.

SUMMONER ARMORS

Summoner armors should really have defense between melee and ranged, to better support whips. My recommendation is a defense boost to each armor of roughly 1.7x.

My suggestions:
Bee armor – 13 -> 22 (+9) [+3 to each piece]
Spider armor – 20 -> 35 (+15) [+5 to each piece]
Forbidden armor – 26 -> 38 (+12) [+4 to each piece]
Hallowed Hood – 1 -> 17 (with full set: 43)
Tiki armor – 35 -> 59 (+24) [+8 to each piece]
Spooky armor – 30 -> 51 (+21) [+7 to each piece]
Stardust armor – 38 -> 65 (+27) [+9 to each piece]

Each armor now has more defense than equivalent ranged and mage armors, but less defense than equivalent melee armors. With these changes, summoners can afford to put themselves in more danger to benefit from whips. The days of fragile summoners would be over.

OTHER ARMORS

I've mentioned Cobalt armor already, but another armor whose stats could use an improvement is Mythril armor. I'll quote Jota Bame's post (again): "It doesn't have low stats, but they are not high either. It doesn't take too long to get, but it's not as easily obtained as Cobalt/Palladium either." He gave it a grade of C, which means "Mediocre, there is definitely another armor you should be wearing instead." Buffing it should hopefully give it a legitimate role in the progression.

Also, Palladium armor's regeneration might be a bit too powerful for being so early in Hardmode progression. It has low stats, but the regeneration is so powerful that it makes the low stats irrelevant. Jota gives it an A, and says that it's viable up until Plantera – this is armor made from one of the two earliest Hardmode ores. I think the Rapid Healing buff's regeneration rate could be reduced from 3 life per second to 2 life per second, which puts the regeneration more in line with the Squire's Great Helm. In exchange, it could then receive improvements to its underpowered stats.

To clarify how Cobalt armor should be improved, it should be buffed to the point where it is a valid alternative to Molten armor, Jungle/Meteor armor, and Necro armor all three. Otherwise there's no reason to craft it over those armors which you already have. (And Palladium armor needs to better raw stats even than that, although perhaps with slightly lower defense, just as Titanium armor's defense is slightly lower than Adamantite armor's.)

Last edited:
Exactly. Summoner armors should really have defense between melee and ranged, to better support whips. My recommendation is a defense boost to each armor of roughly 1.7x.

My suggestions:
Bee armor – 13 -> 22 (+9) [+3 to each piece]
Spider armor – 20 -> 35 (+15) [+5 to each piece]
Forbidden armor – 26 -> 38 (+12) [+4 to each piece]
Hallowed Hood – 1 -> 17 (+16) [with full set: 43]
Tiki armor – 35 -> 59 (+24) [+8 to each piece]
Spooky armor – 30 -> 51 (+21) [+7 to each piece]
Stardust armor – 38 -> 65 (+27) [+9 to each piece]

Each armor now has more defense than equivalent ranged and mage armors, but less defense than equivalent melee armors. With these changes, summoners can afford to put themselves in more danger to benefit from whips. The days of fragile summoners would be over.

Agreed, the stardust especially. Valhalla armor having a whopping 68 armor, while still having 60% dmg buff is insane compaired to stardust. Like Stardust should be the DPS one sure but that isnt really factored right when their dps is roughly the same while defense is massively in ones favor. o_O

Current Valhalla Knight
68 armor
60% summoner dmg
1+3 sentry slots (+1 with accessory)
1 minion (+ 5 minions with builds+buffs)
+4 regen
+30 move spd

Current Stardust Armor
38 armor
66% summoner dmg
1+5 minions (+5 minions with builds+buffs)
Stardust Guradian
1 sentry (+1 with accessory)

So valhalla can have 11 total helpers and stardust can have 14. There isn't enough difference between the 2 to justify the massive defense difference.

Stardust should at least have 54~ armor imo however, this way they are more in line of one being defensive and the other offensive. Different play styles that are fun with their own advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited:
So valhalla can have 11 total helpers and stardust can have 14. There isn't enough difference between the 2 to justify the massive defense difference.

I understand your point that summoner armors need to be tankier but you can't just completely ignore the fact that all sentries are extremely incompetent compared to the Dragon/Cells/Xeno staff. There is no way in hell that, in practice, Valhalla Knight comes near Stardust in DPS.

I understand your point that summoner armors need to be tankier but you can't just completely ignore the fact that all sentries are extremely incompetent compared to the Dragon/Cells/Xeno staff. There is no way in hell that, in practice, Valhalla Knight comes near Stardust in DPS.

You'd be surprised how fast they can kill moonlord but yes sentries don't do the same kind of dps many of the end game basic minions due simply do to being stationary. Hence why Valhalla being tanky makes sense. But also it has access to 6 minions still on top of the 5 sentries so the dmg ends up very similar in terms of clear times.

The last 2 sentries are more or less ok in dmg. If not need a minor buff, real issue is frost dragon lol

Last edited:
Considering that defense-piercing feature you mentioned before, could Nanites and the resulting things made from them gain usage from that? I think that would help offset the many mobs immune to Confusion and how late in the game it is obtained.

Pirate farming nerf. The Pirate's Curse was made specifically to counter AFK Farming Pirate Invasions, which is most obvious by it's high knockback resistance and ability to avoid traps. However, when a game has such low chance rates for items such as the Lucky Coin, Coin Gun, etc, and people are unlucky, they will want to make farms. If that's how people want to get their items because they are actively searching for something and don't want to be left at the mercy of pure RNG for their gameplay, why restrict them?

Same thing for Rod of Discord farms. Why do Chaos Elementals not spawn if you don't move or anything? This was specifically to nerf farms people made as to not be at the pure mercy of RNG.

The pump duping should be reversed, it's been heavily nerfed and I think people liked it, as they were able to get large amounts of liquids easily.

Why can't you break meteorite with bombs? They're a pain to mine the entirety of, especially since you're also fighting off meteor heads, while avoiding getting hurt by meteorite ore. It's not like they weren't meant to be able to break it by then, as Nightmare/Crimtane pickaxes are available post-EoW/BoC, it simply makes it more tedious.

I don't think close NPC housing should give such an amount of price increase. NPC prisons really should be allowed, because sometimes people like to focus on the rest of the gameplay rather than socially distancing NPCs, which is usually not my top priority. Building in Terraria is not the focus for everyone.

I would love to have discussion, thank you for reading.

The pump duping should be reversed, it's been heavily nerfed and I think people liked it, as they were able to get large amounts of liquids easily.

There’s a pretty cool new way to get large quantities of liquids, through liquid bombs. You can get water bombs from lava fishing (an odd place to get WATER bombs of all things, but whatever), craft those into dry bombs, and craft THOSE into whatever liquid bomb you want. This spreads the desired liquid insanely fast. You can just chuck down a few bombs and fill an entire lake. Even better, when you have one of them in your inventory, you can buy more from the demolitionist.

There’s a pretty cool new way to get large quantities of liquids, through liquid bombs. You can get water bombs from lava fishing (an odd place to get WATER bombs of all things, but whatever), craft those into dry bombs, and craft THOSE into whatever liquid bomb you want. This spreads the desired liquid insanely fast. You can just chuck down a few bombs and fill an entire lake. Even better, when you have one of them in your inventory, you can buy more from the demolitionist.
I guess so, but it's still a pretty big chore for really large scale artificial lakes and oceans. You do have a good point, however.

Last edited:

Hello everyone!

For those of you who don't know me, I'm Leinfors, and I do QA for Terraria! One of the big focuses of this update was a pretty big rebalancing pass on many dozens of weapons, armors, and items in the game!

However, Terraria has many thousands of items, and there is only so much time to go around, and its hard for one single person to dictate the balance of so many items without bias. Some items were changed before I was quite as involved, and while I've documented them, I didn't have time to fully review them myself. I'd like to continue iterating on this process, and for that, I would like to open discussion with the community here!

So here is the plan:
Between my other duties in the following weeks, I'm going to look into followup balance changes. I have certain things that are already on my radar, but I'm interested in hearing what you guys think might need adjustment. I'll be looking for the following:
- Balance changes we've made that you think were not enough, or were too much/disagree with
- Old items that were overlooked in our changes
- New items/equipment that you feel needs adjustment

I'm really eager to hear what you guys think, and I'd like to have a dialogue about this. I'm interested in discussing the "why" of some of our changes (when they are changes I made), and I'd like to hear your thoughts about it and other feedback you'd like to share.

A couple of ground rules I should elaborate on here though.
1. I'm only one member on a team, and I don't have absolute authority. Even if I'm convinced, all of my changes need to be approved before they pass, so I can't just change what I want.
2. This is meant to be a discussion thread, and I'd like to see evidence and convincing arguments in favor of changes. If I'm not convinced, then I'm not going to advocate for changes, but I promise that I am interested in hearing it out . . . I want to make more changes!
3. Evidence and persuasive points win the day here. Number of or passion behind a complaint absent evidence or strong logic won't convince me, nor will the number of likes, etc. a post gets. If a change is correct, then making a strong case for it should be easy. :)
4. My focus is primarily items. It is very unlikely that I will be making changes to enemies/bosses. It is also very unlikely for me to be able to completely overhaul weapons in the style of the Charged Blaster Cannon or Medusa Head. We are talking stat changes here, rather than overhauls.
5. Please be respectful to other posters here, we're all here to make Terraria a better game, and the best way to have a discussion is if we all get along! :)

index.php

While we are here, for reference, here are the current up to date balance changes for 1.4!

- Ghosts should now despawn easier.
- The conditions under which Ghosts spawn is reduced substantially, having a cap on how many can spawn at once, and are unlikely to spawn during Surface Daytime if it is not a Graveyard.

(Note: 1.4.0.1 was the live release, and changes and additions are only included for posterity and for 1.3.5.3 content changes)

- Meteorites now no longer fall until after Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulhu have been defeated
- Killing Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulhu again will boost the drop rate of subsequent Meteors for the following night (instead of breaking more Orbs/Hearts)
- Meteorites can no longer be destroyed with explosives
- Pirate Captains now spawns a Ghost Pirate when they are killed
- Dunerider Boots can now be tinkered with Rocket Boots to make Spectre Boots (not much of a balance change, but kinda relevant I think!)

Note: For weapons, Use Time is how much time must pass between each attack. A lower Use Time means less time between attacks, so a faster weapon. A higher Use Time means its slower. So when a weapon's Use Time is decreased, this is a buff. If it is increased, this is a nerf. Hope that clears things up!

Moon Lord
- Moon Lord’s attack pattern has been slightly tweaked to be more consistent, as the different eyes would become desynced over time, resulting in a more random fight (which was not intended). In addition, the amount of time that his forehead eye spends open is slightly increased
- Moon Lord’s Phantasmal Death Ray will now penetrate blocks that are between it and the player
- Enemies should no longer spawn during Moon Lord’s fight, unless they spawn outside of his radius in multiplayer
- Moon Lord will now drop his loot even if you die during his death animation

Golem
- Golem attacks more aggressively the more players are present in Expert, and also slightly harder to cheese
- Golem will now enrage when out of the jungle or on the surface

Plantera
- Plantera's Tentacle Chompers now have health scaling in Expert Multiplayer

Skeletron Prime
- Expert Skeletron Prime now moves faster when spinning.

Brain of Cthulhu
- Expert Brain of Cthulhu and his Creepers now have increased knockback resistance per player present on a server, ultimately becoming immune to knockback
- Brain of Cthulhu's Creepers now have health scaling in Expert Multiplayer

Eater of Worlds
- Eater of Worlds now has more segments, even more so in Expert Mode

King Slime
- King Slime is now somewhat harder to abuse with ropes

Martian Saucer
- Martian Saucers in difficulties below Expert no longer have a phase two, and die as soon as their turrets are destroyed
- There are now less Martian Saucers per invasion, and they are less likely to chain spawn
- Martian Saucers can now shoot their death beam through blocks. However, they are slower and their beams easier to avoid.
Crimslimes
- Now inflict the Blindness debuff and drop Blindfolds

Crimson Axe
- Now inflicts the Cursed debuff

Giant Cursed Skull
- Now inflicts the Cursed debuff on contact and via projectile, and drops Nazars

Tomb Crawler
- Head Damage decreased from 16 to 14
- Body and Tail Damage decreased from 10 to 7
- Life decreased from 50 to 40
- Reduced size
- Only 1 Tomb Crawler should spawn at a time under normal circumstances

Sand Slime
- Damage increased from 10 to 15
- Life increased from 40 to 50
- Knockback multiplier decreased from 0.8 to 0.7
- Now only spawns as uncommon enemies in the Underground Desert

Flying Fish
- Money drop value increased from 90 Copper to 3 Silver
- Flying Fish are now slightly less common on Rainy Days

Clown
- Damage increased from 50 to 60
- Defense increased from 20 to 25
- Life increased from 400 to 800
- Knockback multiplier decreased from 0.4 to 0.2
- They now attack much faster
- Happy Bombs now explode when near the player
- They now throw Chattering Teeth Bombs as well

Etherian Lightning Bug
- Projectile Damage increased from 20 to 100 (Note: This was actually an accidental placeholder number. It did 1 damage to the Etherian Crystal, and was likely to do the same to most players)

Hoplite
- Decreased Javelin Damage from 48 to 36

Angry Tumbler
- Defense decreased from 10 to 6
- Health decreased from 60 to 50
- Max speed decreased from 4 to 3
- Money drop value decreased from 1.3 Silver to 1 Silver

Bone Throwing Skeletons (Expert Only)
- Projectile Damage decreased from 80 to 60

Other
- Purple, Red, Yellow, and Black Slimes now drop 1-3 extra gel each
- Man Eater type enemies can no longer be killed by mining the block they are attached to
- Umbrella Slime money drop value increased from 25 Copper to 1 Silver
- Granite Elementals can no longer fly through walls
- Beehive Bees in the Jungle will now target enemies as well as the player (not including the Queen Bee)
Ninja Set (Rework)
- Instead of throwing bonuses, each piece now gives a global 3% critical chance
- New Set bonus: 20% movement speed

Gladiator Set (Buff)
- Helmet, Breastplate, and Leggings Defense increased by 1 each

Fossil Set (Moved to Earlier Tier / Nerf)
- Fossil Helmet Defense decreased from 3 to 2
- Fossil Plate Defense decreased from 6 to 4
- Fossil Greaves Defense decreased from 4 to 2
- Each piece of the set now gives 3% Ranged critical chance
- New Set bonus: 20% chance not to consume ammo
- Now available earlier due to the change to Desert Fossil mining

Green Cap (Buff)
- Defense increased from 0 to 2

Night Vision Helmet (Buff)
- Defense increased from 2 to 4

Cactus Set (Nerf)
- Cactus Breastplate Defense decreased from 2 to 1

Forbidden Set (Rebalance)
- As a whole set, Forbidden is unchanged. However, the benefits of Forbidden Robes and Treads have been split evenly, with each now giving 40 mana and +1 Minion count

Titanium Set (Rework / Nerf)
- New Set Bonus: Titanium Barrier
- As you attack enemies, titanium shards accumulate and spin around you
- These shards deal damage to enemies at close range, and inflict knockback.
- Use them defensively to keep enemies away, or for the bold, aggressively to inflict extra damage.

Hallowed Set (Rework / Buff)
- New Set Bonus: Holy Protection
- Familiar to most users as Shadow Dodge, Hallowed has had its previously stat-based set bonus replaced with a periodic immunity to damage.
- Upon attacking an enemy, you will gain a buff. If an enemy hits you during this buff, you will gain a very brief immunity to damage.
- After this period of immunity, at least 30 seconds must pass before you can re-activate the immunity buff.

Squire Set (Nerf)
- Squire Great Helm and Greaves Defense each increased by 1
- Squire Great Helm's healing decreased by 50%

Chlorophyte Set (Melee) (Rebalance)
- Chlorophyte Mask Defense decreased from 25 to 20
- Chlorophyte set bonus now gives an additional 5% Damage Reduction if you are wearing the Chlorophyte Mask

Turtle Armor (Buff)
- Set bonus now gives 15% Damage Reduction
- Set bonus Thorns damage now does twice as much

Spectre Armor (Mask) (Buff)
- Set bonus projectiles now deal 100% of the original damage instead of 50%
- The "recovery rate" that determines how many new projectiles can be generated over time has increased from 150 to 250

Spooky Set (Buff)
- Overall Defense increased from 27 to 30, with each piece gaining 1 Defense
- Spooky Breastplate now gives +2 Minion count instead of +1
- Spooky Leggings now give 20% movement speed

Valhalla Set (Nerf)
- Total Defense of the set is increased by 4, but has been redistributed
- Valhalla Helmet Defense increased from 14 to 20
- Valhalla Breastplate Defense decreased from 30 to 24
- Valhalla Greaves Defense increased from 20 to 24
- Valhalla Breastplate's healing decreased by 50%

Nebula Armor (Nerf)
- Healing Booster effect now gives 3 HP/s instead of 5, with a maximum of 9 HP/s possible now

Solar Armor (Buff)
- Solar Helmet critical chance bonus increased from 17% to 26%
- Solar Breastplate melee damage bonus increased from 22% to 29%
- Each piece of the set now gives 1 HP/s regen
- Instead of 30% damage reduction whenever you have charges, you now have 12% damage reduction at all times, and 20% additional damage reduction while charges are active. In practice, this is roughly equivalent to the same 30% it used to give due to how the two values are multiplied.
- Recharge time between shield charges reduced by 1 second

Stardust Armor (Overhaul / Buff)
- Stardust Guardian now has a more much vigorous and aggressive attack, and he will attack automatically without prompting. All resemblance to a certain anime is purely coincidental.
Shortswords (Rework / Buff)
- Shortswords can now be used in all directions, not just forward
- Gold Shortsword damage increased from 11 to 12

Flails (Overhaul)
- Flails now have entirely new behavior, and a few different functionality modes.
- If you click and hold the mouse button, they will swing around rapidly, doing half damage, low knock back and hitting rapidly in a small circle around you.
- If you click and use them normally, you will shoot them forward similar to how they use to be used, but they will move much faster than they did before.
- Finally, if you click while it is in midair after having shot it forward, it will drop suddenly and lay on the ground, dealing half damage hits rapidly. This can be used as a stationary damaging obstacle like a Spiky Ball on enemies walking towards you.
- Some flails have had some stat tweaks to fit with this new setup, such as having slightly longer or shorter range, but generally speaking, all of them should perform better than before.

Cactus Sword (Nerf)
- Damage decreased from 9 to 8
- Use Time increased from 25 to 32
- Knockback decreased from 5 to 4.5

Trident (Buff)
- Damage increased from 11 to 14
- Knockback increased from 5 to 6
- When held, gives unrestricted movement in water

Chain Knife (Buff)
- Damage increased from 11 to 12

Enchanted Sword (Nerf)
- Damage decreased from 24 to 23
- Use Time increased from 18 to 21
- Knockback decreased from 5.25 to 4.25

Falcon Blade (Nerf)
- Damage decreased from 30 to 25
- Use Time increased from 15 to 20

Light's Bane (Buff)
- Size Scale increased from 1.1 to 1.4 (Makes it bigger)

Amazon (Nerf)
- Damage decreased from 20 to 18
- Crafting: Stingers Required increased from 2 to 12
- Crafting: Jungle Spores Required increased from 3 to 9

Beekeeper (Nerf)
- Damage decreased from 26 to 24
- Use Time increased from 20 to 22
- Knockback decreased from 5.3 to 5
- Is no longer autoswing

Muramasa (Buff)
- Damage increased from 19 to 21

Fiery Greatsword (Buff)
- Use Time decreased from 34 to 30

Breaker Blade (Buff)
- Damage increased from 39 to 43
- Use Time decreased from 30 to 29
- Gained a special mechanic where it will deal 2x damage to enemies with over 90% health

Cobalt Sword (Unchanged)
- Unchanged, but listing here intentionally to avoid confusion. We didn't forget it, Cobalt Sword's damage was previously much higher than it should have been (stronger than Palladium and about the same as Mythril), but we are using it as the new baseline which the rest of the swords are being compared to.

Palladium Sword (Buff)
- Damage increased from 41 to 45

Mythril Sword (Buff)
- Damage increased from 44 to 49

Orichalcum Sword (Buff)
- Damage increased from 47 to 50
- Use Time decreased from 26 to 25

Adamantite Sword (Buff)
- Damage increased from 50 to 56
- Use Time decreased from 27 to 26

Titanium Sword (Buff)
- Damage increased from 52 to 58
- Use Time decreased from 26 to 25

Phasesabers (All) (Buff)
- Damage increased from 41 to 42
- Use Time decreased from 25 to 20

Beam Sword (Nerf)
- Use Time increased from 15 to 20 (Does not impact Projectile cooldown)

Fetid Baghnakhs (Nerf)
- Damage decreased from 70 to 60
- Use Time increased from 7 to 8
- Only gains 25% benefit from increased melee speed stats

Anchor (Buff)
- Damage increased from 30 to 55
- Use Time decreased from 30 to 20

Format C (Buff)
- Damage increased from 29 to 35

Gradient (Buff)
- Damage increased from 34 to 44

Chik (Nerf)
- Damage decreased from 39 to 38

Amarok (Buff)
- Damage increased from 43 to 47

HelFire (Buff)
- Damage increased from 41 to 45

Excalibur (Buff)
- Damage increased from 57 to 66
- Use Time decreased from 25 to 20

Brand of the Inferno (Buff)
- Damage increased from 44 to 85

Sleepy Octopod (Buff)
- Smash attack now does 3x damage, up from 2x

Code 2 (Buff)
- Damage increased from 47 to 54

Chlorophyte Claymore (Buff)
- Damage increased from 75 to 80

True Night's Edge (Buff)
- Damage increased from 90 to 105

Psycho Knife (Rework / Buff)
Note: Functionality overhaul renders this weapon akin to an upgraded Fetid Baghnakhs. It maintains its Stealth bonus.
- Damage increased from 70 to 85
- Use Time decreased from 20 to 8
- Only gains 33% benefit from increased melee speed stats

Keybrand (Buff)
- Damage increased from 70 to 85
- Now deals up to 150% extra damage based on how injured an enemy is

Kraken (Buff)
- Damage increased from 90 to 95
- Now has a 10% critical chance

Scourge of the Corruptor (Buff)
- Average projectiles spawned from each shot increased from 2.3 to 2.66

Golem Fist (Buff)
- Damage increased from 76 to 90

Christmas Tree Sword (Rework / Buff)
- Projectile has been completely overhauled. Instead of firing one ornament, it fires several ball ornaments and a star ornament that will hover in place for a few seconds before falling to the ground.
- Is now autoswing

Daybreak ("Buff")
- Technically a bug fix, but it makes Daybreak better, fixed an issue where Daybreak would not spread its debuff if your attack killed the target in one hit. Now spreads the debuff to nearby enemies even if the attack kills the target in one hit
Bone Javelin (Moved to Earlier Tier / Nerf)
- Converted from Thrown to Ranged
- Damage decreased from 29 to 20 due to earlier tier

Bee's Knees (Nerf)
- Damage decreased from 26 to 23
- Use Time increased from 23 to 24

Handgun (Buff)
- Use Time decreased from 12 to 10

Hellwing Bow (Buff)
- Damage increased from 20 to 22
- Use Time decreased from 14 to 13
- Knockback increased from 5 to 5.5

Clockwork Assault Rifle (Nerf)
- Damage decreased from 19 to 17

All 6 Ore Repeaters (Buff)
- Use Time decreased by 1

Marrow (Buff)
- Damage increased from 40 to 50

Ice Bow (Buff)
- Damage decreased from 46 to 39
- Use Time decreased from 21 to 16
- Now auto-fires
Note: Despite the damage reduction, this will result in a stronger bow overall, albeit more defense-impacted than bows like Marrow. Change is primarily meant to introduce variation between the bows.

Daedalus Stormbow (Nerf)
- Damage decreased from 43 to 38
- When using Holy, Unholy, Hellfire or Jester arrows, shoots an average of 2.66 arrows, instead of the normal average of 3.33 arrows

Dart Pistol (Buff)
- Damage increased from 28 to 33

Dart Rifle (Buff)
- Damage increased from 52 to 62

Toxikarp (Buff)
- Use Time decreased from 14 to 10

Hallowed Repeater (Buff)
- Damage increased from 43 to 53
- Use Time decreased from 19 to 16

Flamethrower (Buff)
- Damage increased from 27 to 35
- Applies a 15% damage penalty to the next hit for each enemy a projectile pierces

Phantom Phoenix (Buff)
- Damage increased from 24x2 to 32x2
- Use Time decreased from 20 to 18
- Phoenix projectile now fires on every 3rd shot instead of every 4th

Chlorophyte Shotbow (Nerf)
- Average arrows per shot decreased from 2.7 to 2.33

Venus Magnum (Buff)
- Damage increased from 38 to 50

Grenade Launcher (Buff)
- Use Time decreased from 30 to 20

Rocket Launcher (Buff)
- Damage decreased from 50 to 45
- Does 2x damage on direct hits to a single target

Proximity Mine Launcher (Rework / Buff)
- Does 3x damage when mines are stationary, normal damage when they are still moving
- Use Time increased from 40 to 50
- Reduced the number of active mines that you can have at once

Piranha Gun (Rework / Buff)
- Now shoots 3 Piranhas, which can attack the same or different targets
- The rate at which the Piranhas can bite has been decreased slightly on an individual basis, but the total DPS the three Piranhas can do is now much higher

Pulse Bow (Buff)
- Damage increased from 65 to 85
- Use Time decreased from 22 to 20
- Damage reduction for each target hit increased from 10% to 20%

Stynger (Buff)
- Does 2x damage on direct hits to a single target (Only applies to the initial bolt, not the fragments)

Celebration (Moved to Earlier Tier / Nerf)
- Damage decreased from 65 to 25 (Note: Rocket damage is very high and is added to this. Even Rocket 1s deal 40, so the actual damage reduction is 105 to 65 even using the worst Rockets)
- Bonus Critical chance of 10% removed
- Now sold by the Party Girl after Golem

Elf Melter (Buff)
- Damage increased from 40 to 60
- Applies a 15% damage penalty to the next hit for each enemy a projectile pierces

S.D.M.G. (Buff)
- Damage increased from 77 to 85
- Chance to not consume ammo increased from 50% to 66%
Wand of Sparking (Buff)
- Increased damage from 8 to 14
- Use Time decreased from 28 to 26
- Increased On Fire! chance from 33% to 50%
- Now has a 10% critical chance

Magic Missile (Rework / Buff)
- Projectile is faster and has homing if you release it
- Has a moderate AoE damage explosion on impact
- Use Time increased from 17 to 18
- Mana Cost increased from 10 to 12

Flamelash (Rework / Buff)
- Now pierces and can hit a second time. Has a moderate AoE damage explosion after the second hit.
- Damage decreased from 40 to 36
- Use Time increased from 20 to 30
- Mana Cost increased from 12 to 18

Staff of Frost (Buff)
- Use Time decreased from 20 to 16
- Mana cost decreased from 14 to 12

Cursed Flames (Buff)
- Damage increased from 36 to 50
- Use Time decreased from 20 to 15
- Mana cost decreased from 12 to 9
- Related: See Cursed Inferno buff

Flower of Frost (Buff)
- Damage increased from 55 to 60
- Use Time decreased from 20 to 12
- Mana cost decreased from 17 to 11
- Increased Frostburn chance from 50% to 100%

Crystal Storm (Buff)
- Damage increased from 25 to 32
- Mana cost increased from 4 to 5

Poison Staff (Rework / Buff)
Note: Previously, due to piercing immunity frames, only one projectile from each shot would hit each target, resulting in a lot of lost damage. We've implemented a system that allows ALL of the projectiles to hit a target, dramatically improving its shotgun-like functionality. However, to offset this gain, it has had to have some of its stats reduced. On the whole, this should now be a stronger weapon.
- Damage decreased from 48 to 43
- Reduced number of enemies that each projectile can hit from 4 to 3
- Each projectile will deal 25% less damage for each target it hits
- Projectiles now have a limited range

Crystal Vile Shard (Buff)
- Damage increased from 19 to 25
- The duration that the projectiles linger (and deal damage) is increased by roughly 70%

Clinger Staff (Buff)
- Height of the Clinger flames increased by 50%
- No longer has a hit limit
- Can now inflict Cursed Inferno debuff (Related: See Cursed Inferno buff)
- Can now inflict critical hits

Medusa Head (Complete Overhaul)
- Rather than being charged, this weapon is now channeled and its range substantially reduced.
- When channeled, it will be held in front of the player. If no enemies are present, it will not fire, and will consume no mana.
- When in range, it will constantly attack nearby enemies, consuming mana for each attack.
- Can hit up to 3 targets with each attack (does not consume extra mana per target)
- Damage is now set to 40
- Mana cost has been decreased from 18 to 15, however, it can now fire up to 4 times per second, increasing the speed at which it consumes mana

Sky Fracture (Nerf)
- Mana cost increased from 14 to 17

Spirit Flame (Buff)
- Use Time decreased from 30 to 22
- Mana Cost decreased from 18 to 14

Rainbow Rod (Rework / Buff)
- Now pierces and hits up to 3 times.
- Has a moderate AoE radius on impact
- Damage decreased from 74 to 50
- Use Time increased from 18 to 25
- Mana Cost increased from 18 to 21
- Can touch tiles without exploding now.

Unholy Trident (Buff)
- Use Time decreased from 22 to 17
- Mana cost decreased from 25 to 19

Tome of Infinite Wisdom (Buff)
- Damage increased from 24 to 32
- Use Time decreased from 30 to 25

Venom Staff (Rework / Buff)
Note: Has received the same general overhaul as Poison Staff. Should be much improved in actual use, but needs stat reductions to offset this change. Give it a try before you judge!
- Damage decreased from 63 to 44
- Reduced number of enemies that each projectile can hit from 7 to 5
- Each projectile will deal 25% less damage for each target it hits
- Now has a range before projectiles die, 50% longer than Poison Staff's

Wasp Gun (Buff)
Note: The adjustments made to Wasp Gun may sound like a nerf on paper, but due to Defense effects, the loss of total hits in exchange for higher direct damage will actually result in dramatically more DPS for the Wasp Gun. Less Wasps, more damage.
- Damage increased from 21 to 31
- Use Time increased from 11 to 18
- Wasps can now bounce/pierce only 3 times instead of 4
- Wasps per Cast: Reduced to an average of 3
- Mana cost increased from 6 to 10

Nettle Burst (Buff)
- Damage increased from 28 to 35
- Mana cost increased from 10 to 12

Spectre Staff (Buff)
- Damage decreased from 72 to 65
- Each projectile can now hit up to 3 times, rather than only once
- Mana cost increased from 11 to 15

Staff of Earth (Buff)
- The actual damage this weapon does is mostly unchanged, but lists its "max speed" damage now rather than its "low speed" damage
- Now has a 20% critical chance
- Mana Cost increased from 15 to 18
- Use Time decreased from 40 to 24
- Projectile speed greatly increased, as a result, has better range and much harder to fall below the minimum threshold to maintain maximum damage

Heat Ray (Rework)
Note: There were too many "full piercing" weapons at this tier, and not enough high single target damage weapons. Heat Ray changed to avoid redundancy with Shadowbeam Staff and Staff of Earth and give the class more versatility.
- Damage increased from 55 to 80
- Use Time decreased from 16 to 10
- Can no longer pierce and hit multiple enemies

Bat Scepter (Rebalance)
- Average Bats per cast increased from 2 to 2.5
- Mana cost increased from 3 to 6

Charged Blaster Cannon (Complete Overhaul)
This weapon still charges, but it now fires constantly while charging.
- For the first second of charging, you will fire 6 single-target pellets, each dealing a base damage of 100 (up from 50)
- For the next two seconds, you will fire 3 total piercing blasts, each dealing a base damage of 250 (up from 100)
- After this, it will shoot the laser beam, which is unchanged from the original implementation
- You can also quick-fire pellets without charging. The fire rate of these pellets is much higher than the previous implementation.
- The mana cost of charging is unchanged, however, quick firing will naturally consume more mana as the fire rate has increased significantly.

Nebula Blaze (Buff)
- Use Time decreased from 15 to 12
- Mana cost decreased from 18 to 12
Immunity Frames (Buff)
Some Summons now use their own damage immunity timer system. In practice, what this means is that they will no longer interfere with the use of other weapons by maxing out the enemy's immunity frames. All affected minions are set on their own damage timer to most correctly match their pre-change DPS, but some changes are to be expected comparing 1.3.5 DPS to 1.4 DPS. In general, even if there is some minor loss or gain of DPS compared to pre-change performance, it should be worth the improvement to overall performance. Examples of minions impacted by this change:
- Slime Staff
- Spider Staff
- Pirate Staff
- Optic Staff
- Raven Staff
- Deadly Sphere Staff
- Stardust Dragon Staff
- Some of the new summons also utilize this system

Imp Staff (Buff)
- Damage decreased from 21 to 17
- Fire Rate increased dramatically

Raven Staff (Buff)
- Damage increased from 37 to 55
- Flight speed doubled

Rainbow Crystal Staff (Buff)
- Damage decreased from 150 to 80 (Keep reading :) )
- Fixed accuracy issues, improved the speed at which sparkles explode. Should easily do much more damage than before.

Other
- Summoned minions now adjust their damage dynamically based on your current equipment and damage buffs. If your Summon damage increases, or decreases, the Summons will change accordingly.
Bone Arrows (Buff)
- Now pierces one time

Chlorophyte Arrows (Rework / Buff)
- No longer pierce targets
- Projectile speed is increased
- Can now bounce several times, and will "Smart Bounce" at a nearby target if one is in range
- Post-bounce arrows only deal 66% damage

Holy Arrows (Nerf)
- Falling Stars can no longer pierce and hit a second target
- Falling Stars now do 50% of the original damage instead of 100%

Nano Bullets (Buff)
- Damage increased from 10 to 15
- Price of Nanites increased

Venom Bullets (Buff)
- Damage increased from 14 to 15
- Related: See Venom buff
- Price of Vial of Venom increased

Venom Arrows (Buff)
- Damage increased from 17 to 19
- Related: See Venom buff
- Price of Vial of Venom increased

Crystal Dart (Buff)
- Damage increased from 15 to 17

Cursed Dart (Buff)
- Damage increased from 9 to 10
- Related: See Cursed Inferno buff

Ichor Dart (Buff)
- Damage increased from 10 to 12

Other:
- Arrows and Thrown ranged weapons no longer have a chance to drop as items for reuse
Wings
Wing Balance has been heavily balanced across the entirety of the game.
With only a few exceptions, wings found at the same tier should be roughly equivalent in power to each other. Exceptions are usually wings that are notably hard or easy to get, with difficulty being a factor in determining how good they should be.
Unfortunately, its difficult to share exact stats for wings, partially because there are dozens of them that have been changed, and their stats don't easily translate to changelog numbers.
The best short summary is that over a dozen sets of wings were buffed, and that Leaf and Frozen Wings have been reduced in power, as they were too strong for their tier.
Other major notes:
- Butterfly and Bee Wings can now only drop after the Mech Bosses, but their power has been increased proportionally.
- Previously, most wings from Wall of Flesh until Golem were very similar in power, and didn't offer a lot of reason to upgrade until you were post-Golem, where the wing power spiked. The growth of these wings have now been spread out, creating a more gradual, consistent increase in wing power across the course of the game.
Other Accessories and Mounts:
- In addition to its previous Confusion effect, Brain of Confusion now gives a 1/6 chance to avoid enemy attacks. Upon avoiding an attack, you will gain a temporary buff that gives 20% critical chance for a few seconds, during which time you cannot avoid additional attacks.
- You no longer gain stacked benefits from wearing multiple Celestial Stone variants
- Titan Glove and its tinkers now give autoswing to all Melee Weapons (and Whips!)
- Shrimpy Truffle now gives its increased speed and damage bonus when in the rain.
- Basilisk Mount now has a double jump

Bat Hook (Nerf)
- Pull In Speed decreased from 16 to 13 (This is the speed at which it pulls the player to the hook)
- Shoot speed decreased from 15.5 to 13.5 (This is the speed at which the hook moves when firing it)

Thorn Hook (Buff)
- Pull In speed increased from 11 to 12
- Shoot speed increased from 15 to 16

Lunar Hook (Buff)
- Pull In Speed increased from 13 to 16
- Shoot speed increased from 16 to 18
- All axes, hamaxes, chainsaws and other tools with axe-functionality have their wood cutting speed increased by 20%
- All drills and chainsaws now dig faster than their non-mechanical counterparts, but have shorter range. Additionally, optimized digging loadouts still perform better on pickaxes/axes, but drills and chainsaws will be faster on non-optimized loadouts
- Desert Fossil can now be mined at any pickaxe power or with bombs. However, it is fragile and adjacent fossil blocks may break when you mine it, costing you some of the ore.
- Desert Fossil based gear is now weaker because it is available sooner.
- Hellforges now require Demonite Pickaxe or higher to break. They also now protect the tiles below them from being broken while in the Underworld. This does not apply outside of the Underworld.

Cactus Pickaxe (Nerf)
Use Time decreased from 16 to 15
Damage decreased from 5 to 4

Bone Pickaxe (Buff)
Mining power increased from 50 to 55

Reaver Shark (Nerf)
Mining power decreased from 100 to 59 (No longer able to mine Hellstone)

Laser Drill (Buff / Rework)
- Range increased from 10 to 11
- Use Time decreased from 7 to 6
- No longer has axe functionality
- A substantial number of Buff Potions have had their durations increased, many as much as twice as long
- Invisibility Potion now has an added benefit of reducing enemy spawn rates and maximum spawns by 20%
- Restoration Potions no longer heal mana, but heal 10 more life for a total of 90, and induce even less Potion Sickness, now only 45 seconds
- Sharpening Station's Armor Piercing bonus has been increased from 4 to 12

Well Fed Buff (Buff)
- There are now over 50 new food and drink items in the game
- Well Fed has been divided into three different buff tiers, with the weakest being equal to the original, and the strongest being twice as strong as the original
- All Food items in the game, new and old alike, now give different tiers of Well Fed depending on how hard to get they are and how late in the game they are
- Some low tier food items can give a long duration, while some high tier food items can give a short duration
- Finding the right food for you depends on finding the right balance of tier, duration, and how easily you can obtain it
- As a bonus, Well Fed now gives a mining speed buff as well!

Cursed Inferno Debuff (Buff)
- Damage per second increased from 12 to 24 on both player and enemy versions of the debuff
- Ghoul, Clinger, and Spazmatism Cursed Inferno duration decreased somewhat to mitigate the increased danger to the player
- All other sources of this debuff are intended recipients of the improved damage

Venom Debuff (Buff)
- Damage per second increased from 12 to 30 on both player and enemy versions of the debuff
- Pygmy and Queen Spider Staff Venom duration decreased to mitigate the increased potency
- Black Recluse and Sand Poacher Venom duration decreased somewhat to mitigate the increased danger to the player
- All other sources of this debuff are intended recipients of the improved damage
- Biome Crates are now guaranteed to drop a chest item, instead of only sometimes
- Dungeon Crates will now always drop a Gold Lockbox
- Flower Boots are now included in the Jungle Crates loot pool
- Penguin and Turtle Pets can now be obtained rarely from their respective Biome crates
- Gold Crates now have a chance to drop Life Crystals and Enchanted Swords
- All fishing crates now come in pre-Wall of Flesh and post-Wall of Flesh variants. Pre-Wall of Flesh variants do not contain Hardmode Ores.
- Wood, Iron, and Gold Crates drop better quality ore depending on which level of crate it is. Wood Crates, for instance, only drop Copper/Tin/Iron/Lead.
- Bait is more likely to be consumed
- Very high fishing power now gives decreasing returns
- Fishing Power is 1.1x during Blood Moons
- Swordfish is now less common when fishing
- Golden Carp is less common when fishing
- Angler’s Quest rewards are now more likely to give you the Info Accessories. Additionally, he will not give you duplicates of an accessory you have in your inventory, unless you already have them all already
- Amber is slightly more common from Fossils, and can generate naturally in the Underground Desert
- Basic Dye materials now give 2 of that dye instead of 1 when crafting
- Blessed Apple now only drops from Unicorns, but at a higher drop rate than before
- Coin Portal chances when breaking pots has been decreased by half
- Enemies have an increased chance to drop bonus amounts of money when killed
- Enemies drop extra money during Blood Moons
- Golden Keys should now drop more often from enemies and pots, and Dungeon Slimes are slightly more common
- Gold Critters are now more rare
- Jellyfish and Granite Golems spawned from statues now drop their items even less frequently, and decreased the sell value of some of those drops
- Lava Charms can only be found in chests within the lava layer now, but Lava Fishing now provides a secondary renewable source for them
- Mandible Blade can now be dropped by Antlion Swarmers
- Moon Lord now drops Super Healing Potions instead of Greater Healing Potions
- Mushroom Grass Seed drop rate increased from 1/50 to 1/40
- Nature’s Gifts now spawn slightly more often in the Jungle
- Picksaw now has a ¼ chance to drop from Golem in addition to his other loot, instead of being part of his main drop pool. This drop rate is 33% from Expert Treasure Bags.
- Rod of Discord's drop rate in Expert mode is now 1/400
- Strange Plants no longer generate during worldgen, and will not start appearing until Hardmode
- Throwing Knives in chests now come in much larger stacks
- Water Walking Boots now have a 1/10 chance to appear in Water Chests, increased from 1/15
- Several Martian Invasion drops are now dropped from regular Martians instead of Martian Saucers, decreasing the random nature of the Martian Saucer’s drop pool
- The Nurse now charges increasing amounts of money for healing as the game progresses
- Sandstorms are now significantly less common, particularly in the early game
- Reduced the intensity of Mighty Wind, pushing you less
- Rain is slightly less common
- Dungeon Spike damage has increased from 40 to 60, and inflicts Bleeding
- Temple Wooden Spike damage has increased from 60 to 80, and inflicts Bleeding
- Gem and Rainbow Torches now give 10 torches per crafting instead of 3
- Glowsticks and Torches now stack to 999
- All Bombs, Grenades, and Dynamite now stack to 99
- Ore Bars now stack to 999
- Alchemy Seeds and Plants now stack to 999
- Tissue Samples and Shadow Scales now stack to 999
- Pirate Map and Snow Globe items can now stack to 20
- Did an extensive review of sell values across the entire game, increasing the consistency of sell values and adding sell values to many items without one
- Improved consistency of money drops from bosses

Heya, thanks for giving me and others a chance to give our feedbacks, even if this is Terraria's final huge update.

There's one thing about balance that strikes me as still needing to be looked at: Melee. Or to be exact, True Melee (no projectiles that aren't onhit) for swords and spears. Right now I'm doing a true melee playthrough for true melee (specifically the two mentioned above and flails) at Journey-Master with "for the worthy" seed no less. It's pretty apparent that True Melee suffers from 3 huge problems so far:

1. The heavy imbalance of the reward you get from using those compared to their risk.
2. The lack of variety in hardmode.
3. Many of them aren't unique.

My general idea with these true melees is to buff their rewards for hitting enemies or bosses, and making them more unique.

Here's my documentation of changes I would like to put onto a mod once TModLoader goes to 1.4. The second section is focused on true melees, but it's not complete yet. Feel free to take a look as typing into this forum with my phone feels absurdly slow. The Link.

Thank you for taking your time with my feedback!

Best suggestion that does introduce new content would be a new NPC (or non-NPC method that works similarly), that for a fee can transmute any 'evil' item into its equivalent, and would apply to everything specific to one of evil biomes. (This would also, by extent, solve issue of requiring to go to other worlds to create even artificial alternate evil, as you'd be able to transmute seeds and simply make artificial biomes.) And would be best if it works for other world-exclusive items (ores, anyone?)

The dryad sells the equivalent seeds when in the graveyard. Using those you can make artificial biomes without world-hopping. You can also spawn the respective biome mimic by creating that artificial biome. Fishing in that biome allows you to get the orb/heart items. The only missing items after that are the ores, which can be obtained by killing the BoC. I don’t know what items aren’t available without worldhopping, except red/purple solution so maybe you could elaborate?

I do think the alternate solution should be available, and it could even use similar conditions. (steampunker in a graveyard) It would make creating biomes for filling the bestiary so much easier. It took forever to get the crimson enemies, because I refuse to make a crimson world on principle, so I was stuck waiting for bricks to transform.

Last edited:
1. The heavy imbalance of the reward you get from using those compared to their risk.
2. The lack of variety in hardmode.
3. Many of them aren't unique.

Well... what do you expect? You limited yourself to at most-half of the melee weapon categories. The weapons that you deemed "not true melee" were put into the game for a reason.

If you limit yourself to less than half of the options available, then yes, it won't be balanced, there will be little variety, and they won't feel unique. "True Melee" is not a thing in Terraria and is not intended to be.

I guess so, but it's still a pretty big chore for really large scale artificial lakes and oceans. You do have a good point, however.
What about the endless buckets? Those seem very helpful, and are the intended infinite water source. you can cover several blocks at once to speed up the water placement and use the builder tools to increase the number of blocks you affect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom