Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like Quad-Barrel still needs some work. How about making it so that three bullets fire almost directly where the cursor is pointing instead of one?

Magma Stones are infinitely farmable, in fact, I've gotten 20+ of them while trying to get a Fire Feather.

I'm sure there's some kind of reason why they don't want to put a bunch of unnecessary transmutations in the shimmer's code, maybe more entries on a compare list might potentially cause lag anytime you throw an item in? /shrug dunno.
I doubt that's the reason why. I think the devs just didn't think of it ahead, lol.

The "inactive" Guide to Peaceful Coexistence is a Material, but the Guide shows no recipes. I suppose it is a bug.

I've been playing through the Don't Dig Up seed as melee, and here's my thoughts on mechanical bosses and plantera:

-Chain guillotines are relevant for a really long time, but not overpoweringly dominating
-Light discs actually feel better than chain guillotines now. I think prefixes is the major factor here
-Sergeant United Shield is still great, and easier to get from travelling merchant now.

-Excalibur doesn't feel super useful against bosses but is very good for pirates and exploration, since it guards the back as well
-Gungnir feels viable now, but I'd only really use it in a spears-only run
-Brand of the Inferno does great single-target damage, but lacks Excalibur's safety features. I'd only really consider using it instead of Excalibur if I was saving up my hallowed bars for something else

-True excalibur is really excellent for crowd control and for re-fighting destroyer. Also very good against Plantera and exploring the jungle. This felt game-changing and powerful. I feel like it made Plantera easier than before, but it's also risky staying that close in the second phase. Kind of like the new night's edge and the Wall of Flesh.
-True Night's Edge felt good for aerial fights like refighting Skeletron Prime and Twins or Pirates.
-Chlorophyte Saber and Claymore aren't as good as the two above, but that makes sense given their easier availability. Honestly, they feel more like swords for non-melee players to craft out of extra chlorophyte. They are still good, especially the saber's wall-piercing ability and the claymore's single target damage, but I swapped them out pretty quickly.
-Chlorophyte partisan is awesome still. Even used it in place of the True swords sometimes.
-Terra blade: just got it but it feels safe just like True Excalibur and way easier to aim than old form. The real game changer is the beam every swing; I've never seen that before, so it makes it feel so much faster-firing than other weapons.

Summons:
-Blade staff without whips felt stronger, but I know it wasn't changed. Maybe because broadsword weapons have local immunity now?
-Optic staff finally feels as good as it could be (at least with the 2 summon slots I had); before I always liked it but it felt kind of janky or 'missing' a lot. This is better.
-Tiki staff aims way better now. This was noticeable with pirates, where they were machine-gun chucking spears at difficult angles.

Other:
-Old One's Army costs are so much more reasonable now, thank you! I always loved this part of the game but it was a bit tedious before playing tier 2 8 or 9 times to get everything you needed.

I know that this is probably by design, but I don't think NE should be this powerful. I accept that it should be the strongest PHM weapon, but right now, it's also better than most early HM weapons. It can shred Destroyer in under a minute and can easily handle Skeletron Prime. To me, the point of the start of HM was to render most, if not all, of your gear obsolete and to have to fight your way to being strong enough to beat the mech bosses. If a PHM weapon can easily defeat 2/3 of them, then that kind of defeats the point.

Summoners and Melee will prefer Corruption worlds over Crimson ones now.

Farm some Ancient Shadow Armor, throw it into the Shinmer to turn it into regular Shadow Armor, throw it again to collect Demonite and Shadow Scales, craft Nightmare Pickaxe and Obsidian Outlaw Armor. If Melee, mine Hellstone to make Molten Armor.

All before any bosses! Its a Reaver Shark (pre-nerf).
laughs in Flask of Icho-- oh crud you're right.
Start with a Corruption world for easy Demonite or Underworld-tier gear and then grow an artificial Crimson for the Ichor.
I wonder if that was intentional... I know finding a Shimmer pool is a real game changer but given the Reaver Shark nerf, was it the intention to be able to skip progression again?

Edit: Nvm it looks like Shadow Armor just shimmers into its Ancient form again... crisis averted?

Last edited:
laughs in Flask of Icho-- oh crud you're right.
Start with a Corruption world for easy Demonite or Underworld-tier gear and then grow an artificial Crimson for the Ichor.
I wonder if that was intentional... I know finding a Shimmer pool is a real game changer but given the Reaver Shark nerf, was it the intention to be able to skip progression again?

Edit: Nvm it looks like Shadow Armor just shimmers into its Ancient form again... crisis averted?
Yup, deleted after realizing

Just played through Dungeon, Pumpkin Moon, Golem, Old One's Army, Frost Moon, and Duke Fishron with melee.

Thoughts:
-Horseman's blade is legitimately great now, competes with Terra blade against invasions (especially solar eclipse) and pretty good vs Golem, but risky. Even used it against Betsy once. Not super good in most aerial fights.
-The Sky Dragon's Fury is kind of wimpy now in its left click attack, considering its range is exceeded by a lot of other swords now that spin in a circle (specifically Terra Blade and Horseman's Blade). Its right-click attack is better than both those swords, though, so it may not need a change. But would it hurt to extend its circle of energy a bit?
-North Pole doesn't feel much better than before, and possibly worse. Granted, I was fighting in Underworld on the upside down seed, but shooting horizontally against Old One's Army felt like it was missing a lot of the ground troops. When I did get it to vertically fall on bosses, it was really good, but overall this feels like a downgrade for general use.
-Christmas Tree sword is great now, stronger than everything listed above, but requiring closer range.
-Flying Dragon is good; its area of effect is pretty small compared to the Terra Blade, but damage is nice (still less than Christmas tree sword in fights I tried).
-Seedler, Possessed Hatchet, Paladin's Hammer, and Golem Fist all seem pretty much like before, which is just fine, since they all had a niche of sorts. Seedler and Possessed Hatchet's homing capabilities are a bit less useful now that Terra Blade has such a wide area and can hit more reliably.

Non-melee weapons:
-Tempest staff is much better now, I think just the fact it fires as it returns makes it much more consistent. I switched to it from Ravens and never went back.

Other:
-Golem redesign is very good.
-Old One's Army price changes continue to be the best part of the update
-Headless Horseman redesign really took me by surprise, and made them a lot more interesting.

****I would like that in this version the bar where we change the enemy spawn rate had a lock at 1.0 like the rain to make the rate normal
****I would like the search to have capacity, for example if I searched for wood and a workbench, everything that was possible to do with wood and the workbench was already available.....
I hope this becomes available in the next versions ;-

Okay, finished the melee Expert run. Did Martian Invasion, Empress of Light, Lunatic Cultist, refought some old bosses, and did pillars and moonlord

Melee weapons:
-Flairon and Influx Waver seem like before but more reliable. Pretty good weapons
-The flying dragon really seemed like the best weapon for most of the time between obtaining it and getting solar weapons. Influx waver had higher damage but harder to aim. Flying dragon was perfect for invasions and bosses. North pole was the worst out of everything mentioned in this post; maybe I was using it wrong because I had a fast projectile speed from melee speed and was underground most of the time from don't dig up seed.
-Starlight's extra reach doesn't make a huge difference (had legendary starlight with mechanical glove), but weapon is still a thrill to use. Dangerous but good vs Fishron, excellent vs lunatic cultist
-Star Wrath and Lunar portal both dropped from the Moon Lord, used them against OOA and they were very fun, no more missing with the stars or the beam.

Other stuff:
-Tempest staff was so good I didn't feel a need to get anything else all the way up to stardust
-Pillars are way better! Solar pillar nerf made it still risky but not unfairly cheesy anymore. The Nebula teleporters feel easier, too. But the storm divers and milkyway weavers feel tougher, nice balance. Less enemies dead helps too.
-Moon Lord nerf helps a lot, thanks. Still really dangerous but it feels like I can take a phantasmal sphere or two

I'm going to do a summoner run on No Traps next. I don't know if this is useful but I'll keep updating until the

Not sure if moving Teleporters to pre-Hardmode was a good move, though I understand the logic behind doing so [considering the numerous modes of transport that 1.4.4 offers].

There may be some context here that I'm missing, seeing as how 1.4.4 is still very new, but it's placement of being post-Mech made a LOT of sense for obvious reasons, let alone the reason why Pylons aren't usable during Boss Battles or certain Invasions [kind of defeating the purpose]. 🤔 ☕

Green slimes (and seems blue slimes as well) seem unaffected by the hunter potion.

1665534578241.png

I think not allowing wiring in the Temple before Golem is defeated is a mistake. Temple generation, although better, still isn't perfect, which occasionally leads to players being borderline softlocked. Actuators used to be a simple way around this, but now that's gone, continuing if worldgen screws you over is much tougher and even outright unfair to an unexperienced player.

I think not allowing wiring in the Temple before Golem is defeated is a mistake. Temple generation, although better, still isn't perfect, which occasionally leads to players being borderline softlocked. Actuators used to be a simple way around this, but now that's gone, continuing if worldgen screws you over is much tougher and even outright unfair to an unexperienced player.
Can you at least hoik as a solution?

Can you at least hoik as a solution?
Probably at least sometimes, but I don't think that players should have to resort to a glitch to progress.

Also, I think the Jungle birds competing with frogs for daytime spawns sufficiently nerfs frogs. Also, again, reducing Jungle town spawns makes the world feel more empty, which goes against all that JE did to make the world feel more alive (not to mention that jungles in the real world are teeming with life). Also, the Jungle birds are awesome, and I want to see more of them.

EDIT: Does anyone else think that the Jungle birds could use sounds? It would help the ambience.

Last edited:
Probably at least sometimes, but I don't think that players should have to resort to a glitch to progress.

Also, I think the Jungle birds competing with frogs for daytime spawns sufficiently nerfs frogs. Also, again, reducing Jungle town spawns makes the world feel more empty, which goes against all that JE did to make the world feel more alive (not to mention that jungles in the real world are teeming with life). Also, the Jungle birds are awesome, and I want to see more of them.

EDIT: Does anyone else think that the Jungle birds could use sounds? It would help the ambience.
I think you should still be allowed to place wires and actuators before you beat golem in the temple to fix this then.

One thing to make the stardust cell staff worth using is if it gave a buff like a health regen or an additional debuff like daybreak. This would help make it an alternative to the stardust dragon.

Please allow Strange Plants to spawn in pre-hard mode. The change made the Dye Trader even more awkward for new players since they have no idea about his special dye function in prehardmode.

It also made collecting strange plants significantly worse in general. If ya'll are worried about easy money grinding from strange dyes, then lower the prices. There are lots of easy ways to make money in this game anyways.

Please allow Strange Plants to spawn in pre-hard mode. The change made the Dye Trader even more awkward for new players since they have no idea about his special dye function in prehardmode.

It also made collecting strange plants significantly worse in general. If ya'll are worried about easy money grinding from strange dyes, then lower the prices. There are lots of easy ways to make money in this game anyways.
I think the reason they moved Strange Plants to Hardmode only was because they didn't want normal dyes to be overshadowed by the special dyes. In my opinion though, Red Acid Dye doesn't look particularly amazing anyway, so I didn't mind when they were Pre-Hardmode.
When they made the change though, they made Strange Plants detectable with the Metal Detector to make them easier to find. I have a feeling that in Pre-Hardmode this may affect the player's ability to find chests and Life Crystals early game which is very crucial.
Perhaps they could be made to grow post-Skeletron or something? So many decisions, none are perfect though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom