NPCs & Enemies Justice for Vultures

bazelgeiss

Terrarian
Vultures have been demonized by media for decades, leading to the harmful misconception that they are cruel, aggressive killers. In reality, this is far from the truth. Vultures rarely, and I mean RARELY attack live animals. I know Black Vultures can be little :red:s, but even then, it's not common or standard behavior. They almost exclusively eat dead animals, using the strong acids in their stomachs to break down most toxic microbes (with others being filtered out through the intestine). I like to call them "Nature's Garbage Men", as they greatly decrease the amount of dead animals laying around. This keeps areas cleaner and reduces the risk of spreading diseases.
If you're going to do any further research on vulture diets because of this post, I strongly recommend using official resources and scientific articles rather than news outlets.

Anyway, I feel the mob in Terraria unintentionally helps perpetuate that harmful stereotype. I know this may seem like a very small, or even pointless criticism to most of you. I completely understand that. But as a passionate bird nerd, I do want to try and make a difference, even if its just the smallest change.

Right now, Vultures are struggling to survive in our world. 14 of 22 species are threatened with global extinction, with poisoning being the greatest threat. Due to the previously mentioned misconceptions, I feel that their conservation efforts are hindered. People tend to overlook the vital role they play as scavengers in the ecosystem, making it much more difficult to communicate how important vulture conservation efforts are.

Now, I understand the vulture mob plays the important role of "early game pain in the :red:" in Terraria, so I don't expect it to be removed entirely. Perhaps it could be replaced by a new ariel mob, or have added features to make it less vulturelike (maybe a cobra face?)

Different desert vultures species being added as critters would be amazing, though. I find them very cute, they would make excellent additions to my bird tower.
Maybe killing a bunch of desert enemies could attract/spawn them? To display their scavenging behavior.

I also have an idea for a vulture summon. Since vultures eat carrion and have their special digestive systems that prevent disease, a summon that does increased damage on crimson and corruption enemies would be super cool!

I actually had an idea before to make Vultures only attack you if you're close to death, say below half or a quarter health, to make them seem more of a scavenger than a bird of prey. While very unlikely, I think changing Vultures to be either passive or opportunistic and adding another enemy, perhaps a "Desert Raptor" to replace their old purpose would be fantastic.

I had another idea for bats, to make them a mob that runs  away from the player and make a new "Cave Horsefly" (or something similar) to replace them as the flying cave threat.

I had another idea for bats, to make them a mob that runs  away from the player and make a new "Cave Horsefly" (or something similar) to replace them as the flying cave threat.
No real opinion on the main post (I'm a bird enjoyer as well though so I guess I'd support), but nah, bats are far too iconic as the "annoying little digital equivalent of the mosquito that lives in your room every summer without paying taxes". Making them passive would change them to the Minecraft version which is just "the mild nuisance that exists but doesn't have any reason to be there"

wait till he learns that dolphins are considered innocent critters in terraria /j
I have an idea.
Make the vulture that hurts you a fictional vulture breed, and have the bestiary say they are the only known species to actually pluck out the eyes of people.
And then add other vulture breeds and make them friendly

wait till he learns that dolphins are considered innocent critters in terraria /j
I have an idea.
Make the vulture that hurts you a fictional vulture breed, and have the bestiary say they are the only known species to actually pluck out the eyes of people.
And then add other vulture breeds and make them friendly
Now I'm starting to think this is why vultures in valheim are a fitctional breed called voltures

As a fellow bird enjoyer, I see your points. I do admit it is a bit hard to change something that's been in the game for so long, but a simple rename to distinguish them enough from IRL ones like the quote below works.
Now I'm starting to think this is why vultures in valheim are a fitctional breed called voltures
We could call the Terraria ones Viletures. Problem solved.

As a fellow bird enjoyer, I see your points. I do admit it is a bit hard to change something that's been in the game for so long, but a simple rename to distinguish them enough from IRL ones like the quote below works.

We could call the Terraria ones Viletures. Problem solved.
sounds corruption, i demand a crimson version immediately LOL

Back
Top Bottom