PC Lesser known uses for certain items

J Bame

Terrarian
Using the exact same build every single time eventually gets boring. This is what leads people to try out new strategies and loadouts: Sometimes you try out a new class, other times an entirely new armor or accessory combination. But there are some slightly obscure combos out there that aren't obvious at first glance, and don't always seem like they would work, but lead to very unique and fun loadouts. These are not hidden top tier strategies, I wouldn't even call some of these "good", but they are certainly a fun new thing you can try out in your next playthrough.

1708089038193.png
The Hidden Whip Set​

All of the Old One's Army sets are inherently mixed class sets. They give less class bonuses than dedicated class armors, and as summoner sets they fall far behind, with 0 minion slots and just sentry slots that are very limited for bosses. However, the Shinobi Infiltrator set stands out above the rest, and can fill in your desire to have an Obsidian Armor for the late game.

With a 60% summon damage increase and 20% melee speed, the armor gives a massive DPS increase to whips, and 54 defense is more than any other Summoner armor can hope to have. But it does not end here: This armor's dedicated sentry is the Lightning Aura, a very fast-hitting sentry with very low base damage. Low base damage and fast attack rate... sounds like the perfect match for Kaleidoscope's 20 tag damage. Even with Lightning Aura getting a 50% tag damage penalty, this 20 tag damage ends up being about 33% increased damage for the auras.

For crowd control, Kaleidoscope is innately a massive hitscan hitbox with infinite pierce. Cover the area around you with Lightning Auras, summon as many Xeno Staff minions as you can, and you'll see that not even the pillars can stand up to you. Your crowd control will be extremely good... but unfortunately crowd control is just about the only use you'll find for this. Sentries are fun and all but they don't keep up against bosses. And even if they could, melee weapons are bound to contribute more single-target DPS than Whips. And even if that wasn't true, Spooky Armor with maxed-out Xenos will have more DPS no matter what.

But hey, you may start keeping a Kaleidoscope in hand when using this armor set.

1708089899515.png
Papyrus Scarab... an all class item?​
Papyrus scarab is the Recon Scope of the summoner class. Summoner emblem is a good item, Pygmy Necklace is a good item, so naturally an item that is literally Summoner Emblem and Pygmy Necklace combined is an incredible item. These massive summon bonuses... do you really need to be a summoner to make use them?

It's common knowledge that with Summoning Potion and Bewitching Table you can summon 3 summon slots without changing your loadout at all. Some loadouts take note of these slots, and slightly change their setup to include global damage bonuses to improve their contribution as much as possible, barely hurting the main class' weapon: using Menacing over Lucky, choosing Avenger Emblem over something with slightly more raw stats, etc. More advanced loadouts mix Old One's army armor pieces to get better stat armors, these usually come with 20-30% summon damage on their own... you can get quite a lot more Summoner damage than you may think

But even with all this summon damage the minions will only have a fraction of what your main weapon will have, so is an accessory that gives them even more damage and an extra minion truly better than a big main weapon bonus like Recon Scope? Let's see an example.
1708090579946.png

Ranger build with a lot of minion focus. I'm going to use a Tsunami as my main weapon, and summon Xeno Staff UFOs to back me up. What is the better 6th accessory, Recon Scope or Papyrus Scarab?

If every accessory is Menacing, without buffs we will have 94% increased summon damage. We also have 94% increased ranged damage (i swear it wasn't intentional) with a 1.15x multiplier thanks to the shroomite headgear. This is without counting the last slot's bonuses, which could be either Papyrus Scarab or Sniper Scope. Which one will do more, we are about to find out.

Unreal Tsunami with Ichor arrows has about 1100 DPS at base. Each Ruthless Xeno Staff summon has 105 DPS, we have 3 summon slots so 315 DPS. After all our damage increases this becomes 2454 and 611 respectively.

With Recon Scope, Tsunami's DPS goes up to 2707. With Papyrus Scarab, our Xeno Staff DPS becomes 880. Recon Scope adds 253 DPS. Papyrus scarab adds 269.

Would you look at that, Papyrus Scarab is actually slightly better than Recon Scope's massive 10% damage and critical strike chance increase in a dedicated build. Do note that i'm ignoring buffs to simplify the calculation (most importantly, Archery) but this should tell us that Papyrus Scarab is always a good addition to your build, provided that it already has a lot of summon damage bonuses.

1708644859707.png
Regeneration at the click of a button​
Honey is a very potent buff. Regeneration better than a Band of Regeneration, and protection against Damage over time debuffs. However it is rarely used because it's too much of a hassle to keep honey pools around all the time.

However the Honey Bucket allows you to access the buff directly from your hotbar. Simply place the honey on you every once in a while and pick it back up, this keeps the buff refreshed. Make sure not to carry more than one bucket, else when the honey is placed the honey will become an empty bucket and move away from the current slot, making it MUCH more annoying to use. If you are afraid of losing the honey in the middle of exploration, just keep some spare honey buckets in your Piggy Bank or any other portable inventory.

Is this worth it, you may ask? Well, let's see here. Without counting the accelerated natural regen you just get a free Band of Regeneration, not a massive bonus, but you are also just placing a bucket down. It's a nice passive buff. However it's also very handy to put out On Fire and to cancel out Poisoned Damage over Time. It is not a good idea to try to place down the bucket in the middle of combat, ESPECIALLY against a boss, but you can get a nice survivability boost for very little effort while exploring.
1708091475996.png
Phoenix Blaster... stronger than clockwork assault rifle?​

1.4 nerfed Clockwork Assault Rifle. 1.4.4, due to the autofire setting, had to tweak Phoenix Blaster's stats to not be so overwhelming with it turned on. This actually increased its DPS a little. How do these two guns compare now? Using Meteor Shots on both (crystal bullets are hard to calculate DPS for)

Clockwork rifle has 173 DPS, 208 when reforged to Rapid

Phoenix Blaster is 162 DPS, but 210 when reforged to Unreal

So they are very, very close with their best modifiers. But Phoenix Blaster has much higher base damage, meaning it gets less punished by defense, meaning Crystal Bullets can go harder with it. So if you got lucky with an Unreal Phoenix Blaster... you may skip Clockwork Rifle altogether.

1708093891742.png
No more Space Gun.​

Meteor armor gives a lot of damage, but no mana. Its set bonus gives infinite mana to the space gun. So naturally, with Meteor Armor you use primarily Space Gun, right? Space Gun is a measly 60 DPS. A diamond staff is 53. A water scepter comes only a little later and it has 107 DPS.

So do you just use Jungle armor with stronger weapons and ignore meteor armor altogether? Well not necessarily. Meteor armor has very good damage bonuses, so you can simply use the stronger weapon until your mana runs out, and switch to the Space Gun while mana is regenerating. And that leads me to my next point: Space Gun is not the only magic weapon that costs 0 mana with Meteor Armor equipped. And i'm not talking about the Zapinators, either. Im talking about... literally any other Melee or Ranged weapon.

Space Gun with Magic Power and Meteor Armor bonuses has almost 90 DPS. Handgun with meteor shots has 136. It doesn't matter that it won't get Magic damage bonuses, a TON of ranged and melee weapons will get more DPS than a Space Gun. Really, space gun isn't that good.

1708094170219.png
Beetle Shell is not a melee armor.​
This one is really simple and similar to the above. Beetle armor with the Shell only gives 11% melee damage, 5% melee crit and 6% melee speed. This is barely better than an Ale. Using Beetle Shell is practically the equivalent of using an armor with no damage bonuses, nothing forces you to stick to melee.

1708094287930.png
The best weapon to apply Ichor...​

... Is NOT the Golden Shower. Not even close. Applying Ichor isn't special. Any gun or bow with Ichor ammo or any melee weapon with an Ichor Flask can do the same. But what is the best weapon to apply the debuff?

Well, Ichor is extremely good. If you are going to keep swapping to a sidearm to inflict the debuff, it would be nice if you could get other debuffs while you are at it, right? Therefore a melee weapon with an Ichor Flask and an innate debuff comes to mind, like the Shadowflame Knife. So, what would the weapon affected by Flasks that could inflict the most amount of debuffs in one weapon use?

That would Cool Whip: Big hitscan hitbox with infinite pierce, applies Frostbite, the strongest DoT you can get in Early Hardmode, and 6 tag damage is a massive increase for any Blade minions you had summoned or even Sanguine Bats. It also has a Snowflake. It doesn't do anything, but it looks like it does so it's nice to have.

You could upgrade to Kaleidoscope later on, when the Frostbite really doesn't do anything, and the 20 tag damage and 10% tag crit is a MUCH bigger bonus to your side minions. Or use Daybreak, a high-velocity weapon with at least 100 DoT in the form of Daybroken.

1708095513499.png
Rainbowflame Knight​

What is the best use for a DoT? Spread the debuff as much as possible, leaving all enemies at half health or lower, let the DoT finish the job while you divert your attention to something else. This Rainbowflame Knight is a build that aims to bring these DoTs to their full potential, so this actually covers several items.

The most obvious ones are Frost Armor, Cursed Flames Flask, and Shadowflame Knife. 3 fire debuffs covered. But there are two unexpected items i'd like to give attention to:

1708096005801.png
The magma stone: Right at the start of hardmode, where you dont have the armor, weapons nor accessories to stand up to the new enemies, you can get a Cursed flames flask and combine it with this item. After that you have a very safe way of dealing with enemies, all you really have to do is hit them a couple times and let the DoT finish the job. The Hellfire's contribution to this will matter less and less as you go on and get stronger and stronger items, but I think this is a notable use for an underappreciated item.

1708096192980.png
Sergeant United's Shield, actually the best weapon that this build can have. Sure, the Shadowflame Knife is your Best DPS, coupled with another DoT that no other weapon can inflict, but the homing and piercing ability of the shield, paired with its high base damage but slow attack rate, is exactly what the Rainbowflame Knight is looking for: In just one weapon use a lot of enemies on your screen will lose a chunk of their HP and get all the debuffs applied at once. Since the weapon homes in you can play as defensively as you want and no enemy will be able to reach you.

This build is actually excellent for Queen Slime: The homing piercing shield combined with the fires makes quick work of all the summoned slimes, and without their help, the Queen is just a flying target dummy.

But what about other bosses? Well... DoTs can speed up the Twins fight quite a bit; keeping the debuff on both twins means that when the one you focus on dies, the other one will have lost a chunk of its health. You can also bully Prime by burning away his arms but by that point you should switch to something else.

And that's about all i know of. Again, for the most part this isn't post isnt meant to give light on extremely powerful hidden strategies, it is primarily focused on creative new ways to use the items in this game. Terraria is a constantly expanding game with hundreds of items, it would be boring if we played the same way every time.

Last edited:
Great write up, I'd like to add this melee speed yoyo build I made a while back titled "Sbeed"

Terraria__Whats_that_purple_spiked_thing__1_23_2023_11_06_52_AM_2-1.png

Hive-Five is a great yoyo paired with high melee speed it also has incredible range, this build is my go-to for Skeletron and works decent for Wall too.

Impractical use for Meteor Armor: while using a Zapinator and out of mana, you can switch to it via loadout to continue shooting while regening mana. It could also work with other magic weapons as long as you also switch to a Zapinator during the regen.

Panic necklace makes you schmooooooooooooove especially with controlled damage like spikes and lava. (You can use water walking potion on lava and dip down whenever you want to take damage) (Pretty useful in fights where you need to get away in a pinch)

Building in a non-journey world and detest mobs? Use Angler Armor: the set bonus reduces spawn rates!

And of course I need to spread the Golf Cart gospel: this insane mount gives DOUBLE the iframes per hit allowing it to ram through enemies and trivialize Duke's phase 3.

Saying Beetle Shell is barely better than an ale is kinda misleading seeing as Ale is the most broken potion in the game, heck, it's basically +22% damage for melee users.

Last edited:
it was 1.4, not 1.4.4

handgun and phoenix blaster got a stat rework in 1.4.4, and then had to be tweaked again in a hotfix because they felt too slow

after that phoenix blaster is now in this position where if it's nerfed it's too close to handgun to be an upgrade, but right now in infringing in CAR's DPS... it's a delicate situation

Impractical use for Meteor Armor: while using a Zapinator and out of mana, you can switch to it via loadout to continue shooting while regening mana. It could also work with other magic weapons as long as you also switch to a Zapinator during the regen.

Panic necklace makes you schmooooooooooooove especially with controlled damage like spikes and lava. (You can use water walking potion on lava and dip down whenever you want to take damage) (Pretty useful in fights where you need to get away in a pinch)

And of course I need to spread the Golf Cart gospel: this insane mount gives DOUBLE the iframes per hit allowing it to ram through enemies and trivialize Duke's phase 3.

Saying Beetle Shell is barely better than an ale is kinda misleading seeing as Ale is the most broken potion in the game, heck, it's basically +22% damage for melee users.
melee speed doesnt affect most melee weapons, with those ale is basically a slightly better Wrath potion that lowers Defense. It's actually kinda bad when you put it that way. Unlike Magic power that is literally +20% damage for magic users. Or a 1.1x multiplier for bows. Or Summoning's free slot for all classses...

it was 1.4, not 1.4.4

handgun and phoenix blaster got a stat rework in 1.4.4, and then had to be tweaked again in a hotfix because they felt too slow

after that phoenix blaster is now in this position where if it's nerfed it's too close to handgun to be an upgrade, but right now in infringing in CAR's DPS... it's a delicate situation

melee speed doesnt affect most melee weapons, with those ale is basically a slightly better Wrath potion that lowers Defense. It's actually kinda bad when you put it that way. Unlike Magic power that is literally +20% damage for magic users. Or a 1.1x multiplier for bows. Or Summoning's free slot for all classses...
when it does affect things it matters a lot, also yeah the other potions you mentioned are insane as well

I think something that deserves a mention here is the blowgun: the relatively obscure pre-hardmode weapon that becomes a top tier pick at the start of hardmode if you can grab a few cursed flames, crystal scards, or ichor to make darts out of. It and abigail are the 2 weapons that are mediocre to bad in pre-hardmode, but become really powerful as a hardmode starter weapon, and I feel like abigail is definitely the more well-known of the 2.

All of the Old One's Army sets are inherently mixed class sets. They give less class bonuses than dedicated class armors, and as summoner sets they fall far behind, with 0 minion slots and just sentry slots that are very limited for bosses.
Maybe replacing shinobi helmet with spooky/tiki mask could fix this?

I've tried this. Tiki Mask + Shinobi Infiltrator's Torso + Red Riding Leggings. Not an objectively terrible set, and better than Obsidian armor after its first nerf, but if you're using any minion better than Sanguine/Blade, then nah. At least it has defense.

As for my contribution to the topic, Chlorophyte melee armor is a pretty decent option for classless tanking. This is the reason I stopped trying to make hybrid ranged/magic tank sets with Squire's Helm, because none of them were better than melee Chloro. Not too surprising since it's basically a combination of two armor pieces you might use anyway, plus a 20 def 5% DR helmet that comes with an auto-turret. It's good.

As for my contribution to the topic, Chlorophyte melee armor is a pretty decent option for classless tanking. This is the reason I stopped trying to make hybrid ranged/magic tank sets with Squire's Helm, because none of them were better than melee Chloro. Not too surprising since it's basically a combination of two armor pieces you might use anyway, plus a 20 def 5% DR helmet that comes with an auto-turret. It's good.
Wouln´t turtle armor be better for classless tanking? Turtle armor barely gives melee bonuses so you are not loosing to much damage, it gives 15% damage reduction, a nice thorns effect and 67 defense.

A whip won't outDPS minions no matter what, if you are going to use this set you need to go all the way in with Sentries for crowd control. The full shinobi set grants much more sentries and boosts lightning auras significantly.

Surprised this beats Squire's helm, though i guess you dont have anything else to put in your other two slots other than Turtle Chest anyways

A whip won't outDPS minions no matter what, if you are going to use this set you need to go all the way in with Sentries for crowd control. The full shinobi set grants much more sentries and boosts lightning auras significantly.
The only sentry I ever use is ballista so squire/valhalla armor for OOA is always my way to go, perphaps I should give the other armors a chance.

Dirt Rod can break rolling cactus (and the less relevant life crystal boulders) specifically if you place the dirt block inside of it. This makes it the only projectile that can do so anywhere onscreen regardless of line of sight. The obvious caveat of this is that you need to have the dryad for it, and not everyone explores the underground desert after downing a boss. Though it makes me wonder what other uses it may have.
this might be too niche for this thread

I've mentioned this before on other threads, but it makes sense to put it here as well.

The honey bucket is an incredibly useful item that you should (probably) carry around with you at all times. Honey flows slowly enough that it's pretty easy to pick it up immediately after you pour it, making it able to be reused as long as you don't have any more empty buckets/honey buckets in your inventory that it could stack with. The most common use is to pour it on yourself for the honey buff, which is a nice boost to your regeneration. The honey buff also decreases damage taken from damage over time debuffs by 2 per second, which is enough to completely negate poison (incredibly useful in the underground jungle, or to prevent dying to gas traps when playing no traps/get fixed boi). Pouring honey on yourself also puts out the "on fire" debuff, which is nice if you happen to fall into lava or get set on fire by an enemy. In addition to pouring it on yourself, you can also pour it on bee hives in the jungle (the ones on the ceiling that release bees when they hit the ground) to destroy them, since they get destroyed on contact with liquids.

Later in the game, you can also use it to activate the cute fishron mount's speed bonus. Using one bucket is fine when exploring, but during a boss fight you might want to carry a stack of them to avoid needing to pick it up every time. Note that using a stack of them in this way will create random puddles of honey in your world, so maybe stay away from this strategy if you want to avoid that. If you happen to have the infinite honey bucket, you can do the same thing, but without needing to craft a bunch of honey buckets.

As for getting one early on in the game, the most reliable ways (aside from finding a random pool of honey) are to find a beehive (the one you can spawn queen bee from) and breaking some blocks for the chance to spawn honey. When doing this, don't break the blocks that are exposed, since you don't want to release bees on yourself. You can also get one by throwing a bucket of water or lava into the shimmer, which is really handy for getting a large quantity of them.

Last edited:
Dirt Rod can break rolling cactus (and the less relevant life crystal boulders) specifically if you place the dirt block inside of it. This makes it the only projectile that can do so anywhere onscreen regardless of line of sight. The obvious caveat of this is that you need to have the dryad for it, and not everyone explores the underground desert after downing a boss. Though it makes me wonder what other uses it may have.
this might be too niche for this thread
I respect you for finding an use to Dirt Rod of all things, but it's too niche indeed

The honey bucket is an incredibly useful item that you should (probably) carry around with you at all times. Honey flows slowly enough that it's pretty easy to pick it up immediately after you pour it, making it able to be reused as long as you don't have any more empty buckets/honey buckets in your inventory that it could stack with. The most common use is to pour it on yourself for the honey buff, which is a nice boost to your regeneration. The honey buff also decreases damage taken from damage over time debuffs by 2 per second, which is enough to completely negate poison (incredibly useful in the underground jungle, or to prevent dying to gas traps when playing no traps/get fixed boi). Pouring honey on yourself also puts out the "on fire" debuff, which is nice if you happen to fall into lava or get set on fire by an enemy. In addition to pouring it on yourself, you can also pour it on bee hives in the jungle (the ones on the ceiling that release bees when they hit the ground) to destroy them, since they get destroyed on contact with liquids.
Holy :red: I found another Honey Bucket enjoyer, my brother where have you been

i'm adding this to the thread right now, how could i forget

I've mentioned this before on other threads, but it makes sense to put it here as well.

I actually think pouring honey on yourself for the buff is mostly useless, and not for the reason you might think: Bottled Honey is actually a buff as well as a heal, and if you drink it via the QuickBuff Hotkey, you will be granted the 15 seconds of Honeyed that drinking it as a healing potion would give you, without the healing potion cooldown. Perhaps that can be my contribution to this thread, as all this realistically costs is one bottle per use (don't tell me sand is expensive); the honey is not removed when you craft these, letting you make as many as you want with just one tile of liquid somewhere in your base. I carry hundreds of these in my Void Bag and basically have the buff all the time.
Later in the game, you can also use it to activate the cute fishron mount's speed bonus. Using one bucket is fine when exploring, but during a boss fight you might want to carry a stack of them to avoid needing to pick it up every time. Note that using a stack of them will create random puddles of honey in your world, so maybe stay away from this strategy if you want to avoid that. If you happen to have the infinite honey bucket, you can do the same thing.
I rescind my previous comment, this  is actually a good usecase for the bucket. You can also make Columns of Bubbles filled with Honey for the same purpose to not leave Honey pools everywhere in your world; that does take more preparation, but it also saves you from needing to pour honey on yourself while flying at mach 3 in the heat of battle.

I really doubt this is lesser known, but the Golf Club (Wedge) and Snake Charmer's Flute are decent ways to find floating islands if, for whatever reason, you don't have/don't want to use gravitation potions.
The Wedge lets you look up high into the sky by hitting a golf ball straight upwards, so you can look for the rain that drips off the bottom of floating islands.
The Snake Charmer's Flute is basically almost free infinite vertical movement. Not only does it go very high on its own, but you can also place a single block right next to the top and just summon another snake rope on top of that one. I get that you can do the same thing with placing a ton of ropes, but I personally don't like having huge ugly ropes that are a pain to get rid of all over the place.
The only thing you need to do to get these is to visit the underground desert, which is nice.

I actually think pouring honey on yourself for the buff is mostly useless, and not for the reason you might think: Bottled Honey is actually a buff as well as a heal, and if you drink it via the QuickBuff Hotkey, you will be granted the 15 seconds of Honeyed that drinking it as a healing potion would give you, without the healing potion cooldown. Perhaps that can be my contribution to this thread, as all this realistically costs is one bottle per use (don't tell me sand is expensive); the honey is not removed when you craft these, letting you make as many as you want with just one tile of liquid somewhere in your base. I carry hundreds of these in my Void Bag and basically have the buff all the time.
While the bottles are a better overall source of the honey buff (especially during a boss fight), you can't use them to remove the "on fire" debuff or use them to remove bee hives like the bucket can. So those are other potential (if a bit niche) use cases for the bucket.

honestly i'm too afraid of wasting potions to be constantly pressing B, and tbh this is something that i'd patch out
I really doubt this is lesser known, but the Golf Club (Wedge) and Snake Charmer's Flute are decent ways to find floating islands if, for whatever reason, you don't have/don't want to use gravitation potions.
The Wedge lets you look up high into the sky by hitting a golf ball straight upwards, so you can look for the rain that drips off the bottom of floating islands.
The Snake Charmer's Flute is basically almost free infinite vertical movement. Not only does it go very high on its own, but you can also place a single block right next to the top and just summon another snake rope on top of that one. I get that you can do the same thing with placing a ton of ropes, but I personally don't like having huge ugly ropes that are a pain to get rid of all over the place.
The only thing you need to do to get these is to visit the underground desert, which is nice.
Im pretty sure Gravity Potions are a dozen times faster than any other alternative method, i dont see why you wouldnt want to use them

Back
Top Bottom