Official Like-bombing, like abuse and related social activities

Good to know that it is basically 5 to 10 people causing all this ruckus. I like having few Likes. It makes the ones I do get that make me feel like I brightened someones day, just a little bit.

What exactly is like bombing, if someone would are to explain?

The fact that people care this much about likes on a forum is hilarious all in itself.

What exactly is like bombing, if someone would are to explain?

The fact that people care this much about likes on a forum is hilarious all in itself.

Like bombing would be if I went and liked every single one of your posts, and every status message that you've ever posted, and every comment on every profile you've ever made. And the more status messages / comments you had, the more likes you would get, and if 10 people did that, you could get 1000 likes in an hour.

Like bombing would be if I went and liked every single one of your posts, and every status message that you've ever posted, and every comment on every profile you've ever made. And the more status messages / comments you had, the more likes you would get, and if 10 people did that, you could get 1000 likes in an hour.
That's what I figured it was but wasn't 100% sure.

Those people should have their likes reset. It should be mandatory. Not a negotiation. It's inflating egos, causing problems, and is utterly sad that people care this much about it. It shouldn't be a problem but it obviously is and the only fair and practical solution should be a reset.

It has not escaped the staff's attention that the pursuit of 'likes' has gotten completely out of hand on this forum. What was a minor annoyance on TO has quickly become a full-blown distraction to a large segment of the community and the staff. Worst of all, it has turned the attention of many away from the primary reason this forum exists: to discuss a game that we all love.

i'm happy that the terraria staff consistently shows they care about keeping things genuine and quality. thank you guys.

there have been quite a few forums that i lost interest in, due to problems like this. it's not exciting or interesting to check what's new when the majority of new posts are garbage. seriously, thank you all for caring. c:

If you behave as you normally would, nothing is going to happen. If you go out and like-bomb someone, or get a like-bomb for whatever reason, you'll likely see some sort of reaction, whether its a negative reaction or not is up to the moderation team. The staff can tell the difference between a like-bomb and a likable post.

All the staff are looking for here is that we all behave and exercise a little common sense. This isn't something you need to be scared about, nor should you argue against it.

This is a good summary of the thinking here. There is no boogeyman, just an ask for common sense utilization and a clear direction around it. :)

Some mentioned that this occurred on TO. It certainly did, in a far more isolated fashion. Certainly the staff here were aware of a possible recurrence. Those who read the rules know that asking/begging for likes has been against the rules since day one.

Bombs were not banned because we wanted to take a wait and see approach - would people abuse the situation and take it out of hand? We now have our answer and are taking clear action - the action we debated having in place prelaunch. Our general mantra - on most things - has been to keep things more open and see if privileges are used responsibly or abused. For the most part, it's the former - and that's the ideal state. :)

Exploring the removal of (at least) the likes leaderboard this week. Also will be adding additional functionality to change how likes work in the event we decide to explore that. Any large changes on that front will be discussed with the community beforehand.

Again, thanks for the reasonable and open discussion here. Quite refreshing. :)

No offense, but this is ridiculous. Likes have no real affect on you, shouldn't you be able to like whoever you choose as much as you want if you like their posts?
You will still be able to, that won't change.

A few people have been abusing it though, they don't even read the posts that they are 'liking'. They are subverting likes into a game that has side effects that annoy others, as Baconfry just said. Those are the activities that we are addressing, not the vast majority of people who use 'likes' as they were intended. Most people won't see any changes at all.

shouldn't you be able to like whoever you choose as much as you want if you like their posts?

Yes you should and you can. If you like a post, then click the like button. This doesn't apply to people that like posts they actually like. It applies to people that try to game the system or annoy, harrass, or troll others through the use of likes.

EDIT: Ninjaed by TK.

This has nothing to do with the topic, or anything else on this forum. This forum is about a video game, not politics. Please find a different site to express those sorts of opinions. Thanks.
While I may not agree with them, I think it was perfectly clear that they were implying that this is something obvious that has taken too long to happen. They then backed that up by comparing it to something else that they felt was obvious and taking too long to happen. By most standards, that's on-topic. You may be a moderator, but seriously, get the stick out of your bum.

While I may not agree with them, I think it was perfectly clear that they were implying that this is something obvious that has taken too long to happen. They then backed that up by comparing it to something else that they felt was obvious and taking too long to happen. By most standards, that's on-topic. You may be a moderator, but seriously, get the stick out of your bum.
I agree with you up until the last sentence, that was really uncalled for.. I don't see how it could go anywhere but more off-topic.

Never knew about like-bombing on TO, i have no clue why it arises here.
Yeah, I'm not sure either. It seems like it wouldn't be an issue. Does anyone care about likes?

I agree with TeddyBearYoshi. I sympathise with your statement. The last sentence was clearly meant to convey contempt, but this was not the best way to do so. A reasonable level of maturity would be appreciated here, and vulgarities don't help your situation.

Back
Top Bottom