PS4 Loads of bugs and crashes (for devs)

Ipos

Terrarian
First off let me say im happy with the update in general, been a long wait.. and i fully understand you guys chose to release the update early because hiring testers wouldve taken so much more time. Technically youre using us as your testers so here i am to give some feedback after playing Terraria 1.0.3 for a few days with my y brother in coop.

(ALL EXCEPT FOR POINT 3 WERE ENCOUNTERED IN THE NEW EXPERT MODE)

1: Whenever we boot out of a level it will take alot of time to reload the character select screen and map select screen.
2: When my y brother is invited often his screen will be completely black untill he resets the whole game and is reinvited again.
3: I personally had after joining a legacy level that everything on the screen was flashing (all decorative pieces) and my game was slowing down untill i quit the game via ps button.
4: As others have told, i too constantly have 'invulnerable' enemies (that usually are multiple enemies in one taking turns to get hit with the top one not getting hit, if the dupes are killed they drop their loot, if the top is killed only the top drops its loot and the rest dissapears.)
5: Other enemies flat out dissapear after being hit once or twice.
6: The moment we entered the hell layer we had extreme lag spikes persisting for a while back above ground again.
7: Inventory constantly seems to reload faultily not showing the number of items in a stack on the respective icon.
8: Crashes during non combat play, usually during a jump or when browsing a chests contents.
9: Harpies apparently are invisible yet attacking regardless (my y brother reported this, i havent been to sky island range myself yet)
10: Items in chests seem to not be very default to their type, my y brother found a breathing reed in a spider chest for instance.
11: Also already reported by numerous people, in multiplayer the goblin invasion doesnt work, we get the message but the event doesnt actually start (preventing us to unlock the goblin mechanic)
12: When booting out of a menu (with circle) we activate whatever we are near, this can be throwing torches off walls but also resetting the spawnpoint on a bed, its a minor annoyance but still.. shouldnt happen.
13: Casting cloud magic (crimson type) the clouds are spawned on the edge of screen untill you block em against a wall, after that they will cast where you aim them normally.
14: Unsure if intended but grubbys and sluggys seem to spawn moderately often underground.
15: Despite having destroyed a pulsating heart in the crimson there has yet to be a meteorite, neither when we destroyed the heart nor ever after did a meteorite drop.
16: When equipping new accesoires with L button from the menu it often screws up the color palet that i have set with dyes on my character, like despite having a green dye set to my eye shield (boss shield) it stayed blue from dyes on other slots.. untill i started mixing up the order of equipped accesoiries.

UPDATE (BAD STUFF HAPPENING !!)

17: moved bug catching net in inventory and it completely dissapeared, not accidentially trashed or dropped, it was 100% gone. Had to rebuy it.
18: Now jungle also giving 4 second lagspikes, recorded the first time it happened but it keeps happening.
19: Saved & exited at above event and my y brother lost a whole world as his world was overwritten with mine?! (hes VERY shook up about this now cause he had almost all his stash from multiple characters in that world...)
20: When i logged back into my world the whole minimap was black as if it was still undiscovered, after waiting a minute or so it resetted back as if it was loading.
There seems to be a LOT of loading going on constantly and mind you im on a PS4 pro for godsake so why is this causing so much problems???!!
21: My y brother just crashed after making a mythical item and had that progress lost aswell on his character.
22: Enemies often keep dissapearing, this is horrendous when you need to farm a specific item such as vines for instance.
23: Had ALL effects (crimson rod, grappling hook, projectiles from snowball cannon etc) become invisible making playing impossible after i colored my grappling hook and threw it a few times. Had to full restart and remove the paint from the inventory slot tab again to fix it.

UPDATE GAMEBREAKING:

Sadly came across more now.

24: Though i (host) could, my invited y brother could not open dungeon chests, instead he consistently crashed, tried multiple chests, crashed every single time. (game breaking)
25: Had a crash while i was holding a godly boomerang under cursor, lost boomerang. Apparently during crashing it still saves something as it wasnt in the chest i was picking it up from anymore.
26: Crashes also causes unintended duping of items prev boxed vs in-inventory of old character data.
27: When in hell layer we found out its the host that causes lag, when i am top layer and my y brother was in hell there were no lagspikes for either. When i enter hell layer and my y brother is at top layer we both lag. (see bottom of thread for ideas about what causes it) Strangely when making a lava well on top layer, it just droops down normally from the bucket and does not cause any spikes.
28: I fail to plant seeds in clay pots so i cant do any gardening either apparently.
29: Whole (non minimap) map resetted to black after quitting the game and restarting after my y brother crashed the first time trying to open a dungeon chest. Had to rediscover it.

note: My y brother no longer wants to play this game at this point so were both going to wait for fixes. Which also means im not going to be able to 'test' this game anymore in mp for you guys so this is my last post to this thread.

Thanks.

Last edited:
First off let me say im happy with the update in general, been a long wait.. and i fully understand you guys chose to release the update early because hiring testers wouldve taken so much more time. Technically youre using us as your testers so here i am to give some feedback after playing Terraria 1.0.3 for a few days with my y brother in coop.

(ALL EXCEPT FOR POINT 3 WERE ENCOUNTERED IN THE NEW EXPERT MODE)

1: Whenever we boot out of a level it will take alot of time to reload the character select screen and map select screen.
2: When my y brother is invited often his screen will be completely black untill he resets the whole game and is reinvited again.
3: I personally had after joining a legacy level that everything on the screen was flashing (all decorative pieces) and my game was slowing down untill i quit the game via ps button.
4: As others have told, i too constantly have 'invulnerable' enemies (that usually are multiple enemies in one taking turns to get hit with the top one not getting hit, if the dupes are killed they drop their loot, if the top is killed only the top drops its loot and the rest dissapears.)
5: Other enemies flat out dissapear after being hit once or twice.
6: The moment we entered the hell layer we had extreme lag spikes persisting for a while back above ground again.
7: Inventory constantly seems to reload faultily not showing the number of items in a stack on the respective icon.
8: Crashes during non combat play, usually during a jump or when browsing a chests contents.
9: Harpies apparently are invisible yet attacking regardless (my y brother reported this, i havent been to sky island range myself yet)
10: Items in chests seem to not be very default to their type, my y brother found a breathing reed in a spider chest for instance.
11: Also already reported by numerous people, in multiplayer the goblin invasion doesnt work, we get the message but the event doesnt actually start (preventing us to unlock the goblin mechanic)
12: When booting out of a menu (with circle) we activate whatever we are near, this can be throwing torches off walls but also resetting the spawnpoint on a bed, its a minor annoyance but still.. shouldnt happen.
13: Casting cloud magic (crimson type) the clouds are spawned on the edge of screen untill you block em against a wall, after that they will cast where you aim them normally.
14: Unsure if intended but grubbys and sluggys seem to spawn moderately often underground.
15: Despite having destroyed a pulsating heart in the crimson there has yet to be a meteorite, neither when we destroyed the heart nor ever after did a meteorite drop.
16: When equipping new accesoires with L button from the menu it often screws up the color palet that i have set with dyes on my character, like despite having a green dye set to my eye shield (boss shield) it stayed blue from dyes on other slots.. untill i started mixing up the order of equipped accesoiries.

Ill keep it at that and will add whatever we come across to this thread in the future.

Thanks.
Hi @Ipos, thanks for sharing this info. Just to clarify... Pipeworks didn’t release the update early, to save on hiring testers or otherwise. It was thoroughly tested internally. None of the severe issues were experienced in the months of testing it, otherwise it would have never been released.

You have a great list of things that can be looked into. I’d recommend sending it straight to
Pipeworks through their preferred method here: https://fs30.formsite.com/505games/form15/index.html

Hi @Ipos, thanks for sharing this info. Just to clarify... Pipeworks didn’t release the update early, to save on hiring testers or otherwise. It was thoroughly tested internally. None of the severe issues were experienced in the months of testing it, otherwise it would have never been released.

You have a great list of things that can be looked into. I’d recommend sending it straight to
Pipeworks through their preferred method here: https://fs30.formsite.com/505games/form15/index.html
I take it then most problems were cases on the individual calibration from legacy to the current version? It was a new character and new map we encountered all these bugs in however so it does seem unlikely. I will follow your advice btw. I also saw a req for save data, its a bit of a hassle but maybe ill do that too at some point.

Edit: i have sadly had to update this thread already today, the glitches are escalating so badly that even i dont feel like playing anymore as i feel like im risking all my saved content after what happened to my inventory having items dissapear and my younger brother lost his WHOLE WORLD (in slot 1) as it was overwritten with MY world after i saved & exitted a session.

I have used the form from your link to refer to this thread, and i will wait till there are hotfixes IN PLACE before ill touch this game again.

Sending save data wouldnt really have a point since these glitches all happen in multiplayer.

Last edited:
I take it then most problems were cases on the individual calibration from legacy to the current version? It was a new character and new map we encountered all these bugs in however so it does seem unlikely. I will follow your advice btw. I also saw a req for save data, its a bit of a hassle but maybe ill do that too at some point.

Edit: i have sadly had to update this thread already today, the glitches are escalating so badly that even i dont feel like playing anymore as i feel like im risking all my saved content after what happened to my inventory having items dissapear and my younger brother lost his WHOLE WORLD (in slot 1) as it was overwritten with MY world after i saved & exitted a session.

I have used the form from your link to refer to this thread, and i will wait till there are hotfixes IN PLACE before ill touch this game again.

Sending save data wouldnt really have a point since these glitches all happen in multiplayer.
There are some known bugs regarding items disappearing and these fixes are slated to be in the next hotfix. The hotfix has not been sent in for certification yet, but it will be soon:
  • Fixed a bug where launching the game and activating build mode would delete highlighted items.
  • Fixed a bug where hotbar items would be deleted when activating build mode in split-screen.
  • Fixed a bug where using the last item of a stack in build mode, would consume a unit of a stack highlighted on the hotbar.
And Pipeworks is investigating the bug of worlds being overwritten by other worlds. More info can be found here: Status Update on Additional PS4 Hotfixes & Xbox One Release

There are some known bugs regarding items disappearing and these fixes are slated to be in the next hotfix. The hotfix has not been sent in for certification yet, but it will be soon:
  • Fixed a bug where launching the game and activating build mode would delete highlighted items.
  • Fixed a bug where hotbar items would be deleted when activating build mode in split-screen.
  • Fixed a bug where using the last item of a stack in build mode, would consume a unit of a stack highlighted on the hotbar.
And Pipeworks is investigating the bug of worlds being overwritten by other worlds. More info can be found here: Status Update on Additional PS4 Hotfixes & Xbox One Release
Will the overwritten world return? Or is my y brothers world (and content) wiped forever?

Also, what about the duplicate enemies? And the extreme lagspikes in multiplayer hell and jungle biomes? Those are the bugs that made us stop playing.

Will the overwritten world return? Or is my y brothers world (and content) wiped forever?

Also, what about the duplicate enemies? And the extreme lagspikes in multiplayer hell and jungle biomes? Those are the bugs that made us stop playing.
Unless you have a backup on a usb drive of the world, I doubt there is a way of getting it back. It's always a good idea to backup the characters and worlds to usb when you can. Just the ones that you care about. Like backing up your valued data or photos on the computer.

I'd recommend sending in as much info as possible about the duplicate enemies and lagspikes to Pipeworks. The more info they receive on it, the easier it may be for them to track down the cause of the bugs. You can send your info here: https://fs30.formsite.com/505games/form15/index.html

i think the game overwrites the last world you were in with the multiplayer game when you save and exit. like it actually saves as if it were your game and not just a server. and it puts it over the last played game in your memory. i sent this through the preferred method. but thats what i think is happening. probablly needs more testing.

Unless you have a backup on a usb drive of the world, I doubt there is a way of getting it back. It's always a good idea to backup the characters and worlds to usb when you can. Just the ones that you care about. Like backing up your valued data or photos on the computer.

I'd recommend sending in as much info as possible about the duplicate enemies and lagspikes to Pipeworks. The more info they receive on it, the easier it may be for them to track down the cause of the bugs. You can send your info here: https://fs30.formsite.com/505games/form15/index.html
I have sent below vid via the form with explanation, we dont know what causes it only when it starts and how long it lasts.

i think the game overwrites the last world you were in with the multiplayer game when you save and exit. like it actually saves as if it were your game and not just a server. and it puts it over the last played game in your memory. i sent this through the preferred method. but thats what i think is happening. probablly needs more testing.
I have sent below vid via the form with explanation, we dont know what causes it only when it starts and how long it lasts.
Thanks @BartonA and @Ipos for sending in your bug reports using the form. (Here it is for others that might come by and read this: https://fs30.formsite.com/505games/form15/index.html)

Your info being sent in is great, and could help them find the source of the bugs easier. The more info the better.

I have a hunch that atleast the Hell layer / biome lags so badly because of something being faulty with the lava. Whenever i cut below lava it doesnt emediately drain, it stays in place for about 5-10 seconds and then instantly drops.
As you can also see in the video in the jungle at 0:29 something similar happens with the water, that might be the reason for both then.. there should be someone looking at the code for those two subjects.

Tested coop (not splitscreen) with younger brother yesterday.

positive:
-Crashing when opening dungeon and other special chests seems fixed.

negative:
-New lagspikes unrelated to hell or jungle layer, seems to be related to displacement of water toward hell layer though, the type that freezes and instantly depletes water.
-Still enemies dissapearing after one hit at my younger brothers end. (makes the game unplayable for him)
-Still amount # missing on items when going into menu, often.
-Fisherman quests still bug out making him ask for the same fish youve just caught, repeatedly.
-enemies spawned into walls being stuck during a blood moon. (havent had this bug before)

We cant play this game like this.

when i am in the xbox version for atleast an hourly character on mini map isa white square on when on map my character is all glitches out . pls help

when i am in the xbox version for atleast an hourly character on mini map isa white square on when on map my character is all glitches out . pls help
Hi there @jetsfan53, there has been a new update (about two weeks ago) to PS4 and Xbox One that may have fixed some minimap graphical displays.

If you’re on the latest version and are still having issues, please send in a bug report here: https://fs30.formsite.com/505games/form15/index.html

Include as much detail as possible.

Theres another really, and in my opinion, game breaking bug, i recently logged into my account on ps4, and decidee to take my Op character i made and start a expert world, i do this and now whatever is in my first slot on the toolbar, bugs out with the item model being invisible, it works, but with melee, you can swing the sword but you cannot move until you stop, ranged weapons, you cannot move or shoot until the bullet either exits the map bounaries, or it hits something, and no matter what i do, save and exit doesnt work to fix it and soon, he item dissapears forever, ive lost 2 SDMG’a 4 Solar eruptions, vampire knives and much more because of this, im still looking for a way to fix, i dont know if its the map, ir the character

EDIT: i just learned it is in fact the map that triggers the bug, and i tested many way to fix and sadly the only way to fix your problem, is deleting the world, because after i went to my normal world my items fixed after i put them in a chest, save and exited, reset the application, and reclaimed them and they worked (items i used to testing were a few cutlasses on fixing the problem if it occured)

Last edited:
Theres another really, and in my opinion, game breaking bug, i recently logged into my account on ps4, and decidee to take my Op character i made and start a expert world, i do this and now whatever is in my first slot on the toolbar, bugs out with the item model being invisible, it works, but with melee, you can swing the sword but you cannot move until you stop, ranged weapons, you cannot move or shoot until the bullet either exits the map bounaries, or it hits something, and no matter what i do, save and exit doesnt work to fix it and soon, he item dissapears forever, ive lost 2 SDMG’a 4 Solar eruptions, vampire knives and much more because of this, im still looking for a way to fix, i dont know if its the map, ir the character

EDIT: i just learned it is in fact the map that triggers the bug, and i tested many way to fix and sadly the only way to fix your problem, is deleting the world, because after i went to my normal world my items fixed after i put them in a chest, save and exited, reset the application, and reclaimed them and they worked (items i used to testing were a few cutlasses on fixing the problem if it occured)
That's some good info to share @Groovatron, thanks! When you have a moment, if you haven't already, I encourage you to send that in to the developers and include as much info as you can remember here: https://fs30.formsite.com/505games/form15/index.html

You can also send in a copy of your world so they can see it firsthand, instructions are here: SEND US A COPY OF YOUR SAVE DATA

Back
Top Bottom