Weapons & Equip [Mage] LifeLeech Staff!

LoM2

Retinazer
Heh. I bet the title has you thinking "OMG ITS A MAGE LIFESTEAL WEAPON BOO"

Yeah, I'm not about to do that. Reign in your raging and ranting.

But hey, as long as I'm still in the dark magic mood, why not?

v5hbN3d.png
LifeLeech Staff
JK4u5JW.png

[It looks better than my Skeletal Staff at least]
Crafting:
/ x 20
At a demon/flesh altar.

(I know Crimtane doesn't really fit the mood. I might change it to just Demonite if I come up with a Crimson Counterpart for this.)

Damage: 40 (*) (Crystal, see below)
Use time: 20
Knockback: None
* I have NO idea if this is correct. I built this with the DPS in mind and I'm assuming a monster's invincibility time is 0.5 seconds, as I can't find where it lists a NPC's invincibility time. If anyone knows if this is incorrect (and preferably the actual invincibilty time) please tell me.

EDIT: I've been informed it's 0.67 seconds and stats have been changed accordingly.

When crafted, it will be in it's inert form (left). Hold and left click to send a crystal flying at your target. Once it hits something, it latches on and deals continuous damage. (Think Piranha gun). You may have two crystals out at a time, only 1 crystal may be latched onto an enemy. Right clicking retracts both crystals. Once it does damage, it changes into it's active form, shown on the right. If it kills whatever it's latched onto, it retracts instantly. Crystals ONLY do damage to the monster they're latched onto and not anything else that happens to be in the way.

No, it's not just a mage Pirahna Gun. Once it latches on, it deals 60 DPS (I know that's pretty low, bear with me here). After you retract it, you can use the lifeforce you just sucked up as a weapon. Left click again, and you shoot out a green flame projectile with infinite piercing and a high velocity.
Upon launching this projectile, the LifeLeech staff will revert to its first form. If you do not shoot out a lifeforce thing for more than 20 seconds it will also revert to it's inert form (So you can't just carry around a nuke in a stick.)

You gain 1 damage for the lifeforce beam for every 2 damage dealt. Crystals can only be latched on for a total of 10 seconds. Defense WILL be factored in.

Theoretically the max damage dealt by the projectile would be 600, if you use the crystals against 2 enemies with no defense and 600 health. Fair enough considering that would take ten seconds. (and that no such enemies actually exist.)

Any constructive criticism is welcome, especially in terms of balance. Also if you have any questions please ask, I understand that I may have not done the best job of explaining this weapon.

Last edited:
Ummm why is there "lights" off in one of the staves, and the other one has lights on? When it's "lifeleeching" it would gain that bright shade of x color?

Ummm why is there "lights" off in one of the staves, and the other one has lights on? When it's "lifeleeching" it would gain that bright shade of x color?
Basically yeah. I explained it in the Function spoiler, although it got kinda mixed in.

It looks like it was made out of Cursed Flames, so I made mine out of Ichor

Here it is:

GbSM5Hm.png
and
9NIfxhY.png

[DOUBLEPOST=1424490041][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and NPC Invincibility time = 2/3 of 1 second = ~0,67s

So, If it latches onto a slime the green beam deals very little damage? Also, can you use other weapons while the crystal is latched?

So, If it latches onto a slime the green beam deals very little damage? Also, can you use other weapons while the crystal is latched?
Yep. Kind of the point, but even so it'll instantly kill the slime and allow you to fire a fast piercing beam.

Nope. Think Piranha gun, though you don't have to hold down the mouse.

btw, if you make a crimson alt, will it have diff stats?
If I make it as basically a clone, then no, because this was a PAIN to balance in the first place.

If I decide to make it a counterpart but not have it function the same, then yes, because, you know, it functions differently.

It looks like it was made out of Cursed Flames, so I made mine out of Ichor

Here it is:

GbSM5Hm.png
and
9NIfxhY.png

[DOUBLEPOST=1424490041][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and NPC Invincibility time = 2/3 of 1 second = ~0,67s
Thanks... Back to recalculating then.

This seems pretty balanced, and it'd be useful for countering the mobs of mobs seen during events.
SUPPORT.

Seems interesting, may not be entirely balanced, but that's what devs are for, and we have nothing like it.
Support!

OMG ITS A MAGE LIFESTEAL WEAPON BOO!!!!!1111111111111

Where's the mana cost? And it sounds too unique to be a non-biome chest weapon.

ermm... mob invincibility timer is actually 1/6th of a second as outlined:
ZeroGravitas said:
Swords and traps can only hit a mob or boss (or boss segment) six times per second, as each piecing hit triggers a 1/6s (10 game ticks) invulnerability cool down.
This weapon would be piercing so the 6 times a second rule would apply...

As a general idea the weapon is a pretty good one and is a pretty good damage dealer.
One question though, do damage boosters affect the lifeforce beam?

Back
Top Bottom