Game Mechanics Make mana crystals cost more stars

Do you think that mana crystals should be more expensive?

• Yes, raise the cost to 5 stars.

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • Yes, raise the cost to 7 stars.

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • Yes, raise the cost to 10 stars.

Votes: 13 17.1%
  • No, I like my stars easy to get. (explain why)

Votes: 24 31.6%

• Total voters
Another reason why it should be back to 5 stars was because I maxed out my mana at the first night.

Another reason why it should be back to 5 stars was because I maxed out my mana at the first night.

If you maxed out your mana in one night, that means you got 9 mana crystals for the max of 200 mana. This would cost you 27 stars, a pretty high amount for one night.

On such a night in a version where it took 5 stars per crystal, this would still be worth 5 and a half star crystals, which would put you at 6 mana crystals at the end of the first night. Just 18 more and you are done, which is really no big deal.

Long story short, if you are getting that many stars per night, changing it to 5 isn't going to make much difference.

If you maxed out your mana in one night, that means you got 9 mana crystals for the max of 200 mana. This would cost you 27 stars, a pretty high amount for one night.

On such a night in a version where it took 5 stars per crystal, this would still be worth 5 and a half star crystals, which would put you at 6 mana crystals at the end of the first night. Just 18 more and you are done, which is really no big deal.

Long story short, if you are getting that many stars per night, changing it to 5 isn't going to make much difference.
It really depends on how you play the game and your setup. With a skybridge and Frostspark Boots, you could probably get a few dozen easily. But playing for the first time*, every fallen star to me was rare and precious. New player - easily killed, easily lost, easily stuck... I was lucky if I got two per night. I still maximised mana before HP.

Anyway: my point is that even being a lone defenceless character that can only jump 3 blocks, I still maximised mana before HP*. Even though it was 5 stars per mana crystal. Lowering it further doesn't really seem necessary.

(* My first world - playing for the first time - was a large one. I dug so far underground that from my spawn point, I reached the underground jungle. This was with a pickaxe that couldn't even mine Crimtane or Crimstone. So it's not like I was only active above ground - I was heavily active underground too.)

Agreed, 3 is a way too cheap.

Imho, that should be a single fallen star per point of mana pool (it means that mana crystal should cost 20 stars as it adds 20 mana). Such a high cost can be balanced by adding ready-made mana crystals to some area-specific loot (maybe from mushroom caves or fishing crates)

Agreed, 3 is a way too cheap.

Imho, that should be a single fallen star per point of mana pool (it means that mana crystal should cost 20 stars as it adds 20 mana). Such a high cost can be balanced by adding ready-made mana crystals to some area-specific loot (maybe from mushroom caves or fishing crates)
I think that 20 stars is an extremely large amount. I suppose it could make the crystals themselves valuable enough to be found in loot chests, but then no one could get any mana early on.

Mana is easier to max out than health because you don't die and return to your spawn point when you run out of mana. They are not comparable as one is vital to not being reduced to gory chunks that causes Plantera to leave and the other is an ammo source for a selection of weapons.

I don't understand why having it be three stars is a problem. You're still using the stars as time goes on to make Mana Regeneration and Magic Power potions, and if you play multiplayer with other casters then you'll have to share these resources with others that run out.

Saying it should be higher because that "makes the game more difficult" is the same as saying Brock's Pokemon should be level 25 - the only difficulty added is tedium from having to grind.

Does Crimson and jungle 30 blocks from spawn clear this issue up

I think Crafting for mana stars to increase
1st:3 stars
2nd:4 stars
I venture into the crimson the very first day and every once in a while do brain of cthulhu first night. I can see how this could be a challenge with less experienced players but you could build a skybridge if you really want the stars.

2nd:4 stars
Can you please clear up what your trying to say? It is very hard to understand.

And I don't think that crimson and jungle "30 blocks from the spawn" is a reason to debunk my suggestion.

The should have been two posts

What I mean is that the amount of stars consumed and in the inventory should make them cost more
[DOUBLEPOST=1451621399,1451621320][/DOUBLEPOST]
Neither of which have anything that interferes with my suggestion. :l
I'm talking to temmie not you

Back
Top Bottom