NPCs & Enemies Martian Merchant NPC: So Martian Madness gets an NPC, too.

CrazyDragon

Queen Slime
I was reading about Martian Madness on the wiki, and it brought up that it's the only one without an NPC. Let's change that!

He/she/it/whatever you call an alien could have a 10% chance to move in every morning after beating Martian Madness. One big change to note is that after beating the invasion once, no more Martian Probes spawn. You'll see why below. They could defend themself with a Space Gun.

Items Sold:

Martian Conduit Plating: 25 Copper

Martian Probe (Item): 10-20? Gold
Consumable
Material
Summons Martian Madness
When used, it actually acts like a captured critter and is released, but instantly flies away and cannot be attacked. It can also be put in an Extra-Terrarium (see below).

Red Planet Treat: 1 Platinum
Summons a baby Scutlix.
Just a pet item for a cute little baby martian creature.

Wireless Transmitter (Credit to @Wyvernil): 30 Gold
Emits a wireless power signal
"Wireless wires!?"
Sends out a signal that can have the direction adjusted with a hammer. When it connects to another, if activated, the other one can have Wire hooked up to it to emit the same signal given to the first. It has a limit of 500 tiles.

Not sure what else they you call an alien could sell, so feel free to leave your suggestions below.

Quotes:

These first two are by or inspired by @FirnenYT:

"My prices are out of this world!"

"I know Scutlixes are generally considered war animals, but just look at how cute their babies are!"

These next three are by or inspired by @yugiohhero:

"Do you happen to have a Cell Phone? I need to phone home."

"Did you do something to my hearing? No matter where I go I seem to hear music."

Nurse: "Please don't let [Name of Martian Merchant] get hurt. I'm the one in charge of fixing whatever's inside him. [Name of Guide] says he has three hearts in his head."

One final piece of dialogue by yours truly:

"Why is [Name of World] so flat? Why does it end with oceans? It's as though this place was built by one of those crazy Flat-Marsers!"

Names:

Crater

T.E

Lucas

Clone #51

Kang

Other Items:

Extra-Terrarium:
Material
Can be placed
"Holds extra-terrestrial spyware."
Crafted from a Terrarium and 20 Martian Conduit Plating
Let me know if it should hold anything other than the probes.

Probe Cage:
Can be placed
Just appears as a little probe flying around in a red, Mars-y environment.

Scutlix Egg:
Material
Has a 5% chance to be dropped by a Scutlix
Just so you can put something else in the Extra-Terrarium.

Scutlix Cage:
Can be Placed
Crafted with an Extra-Terrarium and a Scutlix Egg
Just appears as a baby Scutlix (like the pet) in a red, Mars-y environment.

That's all for this one. Let me know if I should add or change anything.

Last edited:
Some ideas for devices the Martian can sell:

DNA Manipulator:
A pod-like machine which, when placed, lets you completely change the details of your character, such as gender, skin and eye color, and hairstyle. Basically, a more powerful version of the stylist.

Wireless Transmitter:
A transmitter which sends out a signal in a straight line, which can be picked up by another transmitter. If two transmitters are "connected", they will display a laser connecting them when wires and other mechanisms are visible. This can be used to replace wires over long distances, which can make setting up teleporters easier. The direction of the transmitter can be set by hammering it.

Weather Control Machine:
A machine sort of like the Enchanted Sundial, except when it's used it causes rain/snow to occur(or if it's already raining or snowing, it stops). Each time it's used, it has a cooldown of a few days.

Slime Condenser:
Crafting Recipe: 100 Slime Blocks + 100 Pink Slime Blocks + Weather Control Machine
A machine that activates the Slime Rain event when used. Like the Weather Control Machine and Enchanted Sundial, it has a cooldown.

DNA Manipulator:
A pod-like machine which, when placed, lets you completely change the details of your character, such as gender, skin and eye color, and hairstyle. Basically, a more powerful version of the stylist.

Wireless Transmitter:
A transmitter which sends out a signal in a straight line, which can be picked up by another transmitter. If two transmitters are "connected", they will display a laser connecting them when wires and other mechanisms are visible. This can be used to replace wires over long distances, which can make setting up teleporters easier. The direction of the transmitter can be set by hammering it.

Weather Control Machine:
A machine sort of like the Enchanted Sundial, except when it's used it causes rain/snow to occur(or if it's already raining or snowing, it stops). Each time it's used, it has a cooldown of a few days.

Slime Condenser:
Crafting Recipe: 100 Slime Blocks + 100 Pink Slime Blocks + Weather Control Machine
A machine that activates the Slime Rain event when used. Like the Weather Control Machine and Enchanted Sundial, it has a cooldown.
I think I like the transmitter. Maybe not the others, as you can already change everything with various items (and the stylist needs a use), and I feel like rain occurs a little too often. Plus, by that time Slime Rain would be pretty annoying. :p

DNA Manipulator:

Wireless Transmitter:

Weather Control Machine:

Slime Condenser:

Very good idea, but any price ideas? I think the transmitter will have to be pretty expensive.

EDIT: I pressed Post to soon, sorry, the original suggestion is a great idea!

I for one would love this to be in the game. Plus, the wireless transmitters would make creating dungeon guardian traps much easier...

Three's a crowd, four's a galore? Maybe?

Anyway, Martian merchants are rather overthought of, however this seems like a great NPC to add!
Here's some quotes:
"I talked to [name of tinkerer] yesterday and I realized how alike our stories were. They kicked me out of the UFO just because I thought invading Earth wasn't a great plan."
"On Mars we say "Ice to meet you!""
"I could never understand why Martians use scutlixes as war animals. Have you seen their babies?"
"Gigazappers aren't called Terrazappers because we only found Terraria a few days ago"
"One thing I won't miss if I leave Terraria is all the zombies. Can't they just leave us alone?"
"Despite the fact we have DNA manipulators, everyone looks the same. Odd."
"I think I'm the first Martian to use a DNA manipulator!"
"Is it a blood moon or Mars?"
"Watch out for the... Oh wait. They only live on Mars."
"Who even came up with tesla towers, anyway?"
"You know, they say [name of mechanic] invented the Martian saucer. [name of mechanic] Tesla to be exact."
"What's with all the tesla anyway? I would've called it [name of Martian merchant]"
"I wish there was a Mars biome solution for the Clentaminator."

Enjoy! :D

Three's a crowd, four's a galore? Maybe?

Anyway, Martian merchants are rather overthought of, however this seems like a great NPC to add!
Here's some quotes:
"I talked to [name of tinkerer] yesterday and I realized how alike our stories were. They kicked me out of the UFO just because I thought invading Earth wasn't a great plan."
"On Mars we say "Ice to meet you!""
"I could never understand why Martians use scutlixes as war animals. Have you seen their babies?"
"Gigazappers aren't called Terrazappers because we only found Terraria a few days ago"
"One thing I won't miss if I leave Terraria is all the zombies. Can't they just leave us alone?"
"Despite the fact we have DNA manipulators, everyone looks the same. Odd."
"I think I'm the first Martian to use a DNA manipulator!"
"Is it a blood moon or Mars?"
"Watch out for the... Oh wait. They only live on Mars."
"Who even came up with tesla towers, anyway?"
"You know, they say [name of mechanic] invented the Martian saucer. [name of mechanic] Tesla to be exact."
"What's with all the tesla anyway? I would've called it [name of Martian merchant]"
"I wish there was a Mars biome solution for the Clentaminator."

Enjoy! :D
I added a couple of your quotes and one of my own. :)

I'm interested at the plating so far, I mean,the probes can be found in the outer thirds of the world with water candles and with a Rare Creature Finder. There's already a Scultix mount. Brain Scrambler

I'm interested at the plating so far, I mean,the probes can be found in the outer thirds of the world with water candles and with a Rare Creature Finder. There's already a Scultix mount. Brain Scrambler
I know there's a mount, but these are a pet and a caged creature. And I know a lot of people would prefer to buy it because some people just can't find them, or they can't kill them when they don't want Martian Madness to occur.

Back
Top Bottom