Game Mechanics Meteor Suggestion!!

DarkWiz17

Spazmatism
So, meteors. The most annoying thing in Hardmode, and the most useful in Pre-Hardmode. Once you slam your hammer onto an Orb, usually it instantly says "A meteor has fallen!" Then you have to search your world, in hopes it hasn't landed on your base that you've been making for 16000 years. Once you find it after 3 hours of searching, it is usually in a spot where it is least convenient.

Pretty annoying and BORING, right? I mean, you can't actually see the thing fall from the sky. (For technical reasons, I don't know if it actually falls from the sky or the game just randomly picks a spawn point.)

ACTUAL SUGGESTION:

Anyway, I suggest that once you smash an Orb a timer would appear on your screen for a whole in-game day. Once that timer ends, it would say "A meteor is falling!" and a meteor would spawn in the sky and plummet to the ground. BTW, you would be able to see the meteor crash. Anything living under the meteor will instantly be dead, and the area would be pelted with AT LEAST 100 meteorite blocks, to ensure it turns into a meteor biome.

To ensure it is forced to make 100 meteorite blocks at crash site, the meteor would rip right through a skybridge, making a relatively small hole.

Also, to ensure 100 blocks of meteorite, before it lands, the game will check if there are at least 30 blocks of space vertically, and 50 blocks of space horizontally before the meteor lands, or it would plummet farther into the ground until the requirements are met. So, technically, although very rarely, the meteor can plummet to the Underworld before being stopped by the barrier.

I will try to add stuff to this, as I will make it really in-depth.

Once that timer ends, it would say "A meteor is falling!" and a meteor would spawn in the sky and plummet to the ground.
I really don't think it's easy to make game works this. Since you can't just make blocks fall from the sky, you would have to create a new NPC with a new sprite so that it works properly.
To ensure it is forced to make 100 meteorite blocks at crash site, the meteor would rip right through a skybridge, making a relatively small hole.
That's a HUGE no-no. I would have stopped playing the game a long time ago if this happened.

That's a HUGE no-no. I would have stopped playing the game a long time ago if this happened.
Meteorites can already land in Sky Bridges and damage them. All the change would do is prevent the meteorite from generating a tiny amount of Meteorite.

Meteorites can already land in Sky Bridges and damage them. All the change would do is prevent the meteorite from generating a tiny amount of Meteorite.
Most people generally build a skybridge not just for transportation, but also to stop the meteorite from landing in the mainland. This would enable the meteorite to hit the ground, right where you least wanted it to fall.

Most people generally build a skybridge not just for transportation, but also to stop the meteorite from landing in the mainland. This would enable the meteorite to hit the ground, right where you least wanted it to fall.
Then, leave a few Meteorite Biomes intact so Meteorites can't spawn.

i heard that meteors try to avoid npcs and chests , so it is recommended to put chests and build houses for npcs near places you don't want to become a target to the big brown rock from above

i heard that meteors try to avoid npcs and chests , so it is recommended to put chests and build houses for npcs near places you don't want to become a target to the big brown rock from above
Who are you talking to? And yeah, according to the wiki : "16% of the world centered on your spawn point is protected from falling meteors. Meteorites will not land within 25 tiles of a player, NPC or a chest."

I think that the way it works now is just fine. Maybe there could be a sort of background visual or explosion sound effect, but I've never had a meteor destroy my base or hit a skybridge or whatnot. I DID have one land in the ocean once, but that was a worst case scenario incident.

So, you want Meteors to be actual Meteors and be a Hazard?
Well it would be Possible to do that in the Background ,with Sounds and Effects and all.
but in the actual Foreground seems Impossible from the amount you are able to see on Screen and your FPS.

I think there is a Alternative tho, it make it kinda Possible.

Back
Top Bottom