NPCs & Enemies Mimic Improvement - Making them better at mimicry

I think the new mimics should really act like a chest. push it a bit further, make it so you can actually open them, and they will have typical stuff, and as soon as you take any of it, then the start to attack. Dangersense would still work of course. just an idea.

Now that my suggestion is done, Support!

I think the new mimics should really act like a chest. push it a bit further, make it so you can actually open them, and they will have typical stuff, and as soon as you take any of it, then the start to attack. Dangersense would still work of course. just an idea.
Problem being that you don't usually keep looking for Golden Chest loot in Hardmode. :l

Problem being that you don't usually keep looking for Golden Chest loot in Hardmode. :l
Why would you not look in a gold chest? they can have gold coins (reforging is necessary) dynamite, potions, and the main objects (like magic mirrors) can sell for a gold coin or so.

It'd depend on whether I've explored the area before or not, whether I'd open some random gold chest. And since I usually mine for hardmode ores in the same places I've already explored, I feel I'd miss a lot of mimics if you had to open them.

yeah true, my theory though is as long as your mining or near them, why not open them? then if you have already emptied them you can always grab them for your house. it doesn't need to implemented though. My signature will explain

Note to self. Label all chests "Mimic" and laugh at people on my server running like heck.
[DOUBLEPOST=1436278168,1436278140][/DOUBLEPOST]I mean people who sneak on my single player server when im not playing.

So I came across this other thread first and made this suggestion, which I suppose also applies here too. So here are my thoughts:

• Additional sprites for Mimics as well as chests would help a lot.
  • Dummy chests (and pots if pot Mimics become a thing) spawn randomly post hard mode. Opening them would have a jack-in-the-box sprite pop out at you, making a generic laugh. It's a worthless grey tier items with tool tip "What are you looking at, dummy?" that can be picked up and placed. Dummy chests can be picked up but leaving a dummy chest (or pot) has it despawn when you get too far and is removed from drawn map.
  • You should only be able to attack from a certain distance, this means summons and stray bullets don't give them away in advance. The distance for them to attack you is only a tiny bit shorter than you need to attack them, roughly 2~ blocks difference.
  • Definitely needs hover over tool tip and map icon until it attacks, however it's removed from drawn map once despawned.
  • Lifeform Analyzer doesn't detect them, the R.E.K. 3000 can't unless you get into range to attack first, however the Cell Phone can at a slightly longer distance.
  • Suggested potion changes are good.
  • I can't be the only one that thinks weaker, pre hard mode Mimics in expert would be awesome? They're replaced with harder ones post hard mode to have actual loot.

@SzGamer227 if you'd like further assistance with concepts I'm up for helping. I only have one active thread of my own about revamping melee combat to melee range AND be viable IN hard mode onwards, so I have time.

Great idea, although i would see a couple different aspects of the mimics to be used randomly. In summary:
1. Aggressive mimics - They attack when player gets too close.
2. Neutral mimics - They don't attack unless you try opening them.
3. Passive mimics - They don't attack unless you open them and try taking any item from inside.
4. Calm mimics - Some of the mimics can't be hit by weapons, pets, etc. until they start attacking. Could be any type from 1 to 3.
5. Frightened mimics - Very rare type of mimic with special loot. When opening the chest, it closes after a second and starts running in a random direction, trying to dissapear without fighting.

Great idea, although i would see a couple different aspects of the mimics to be used randomly. In summary:
1. Aggressive mimics - They attack when player gets too close.
2. Neutral mimics - They don't attack unless you try opening them.
3. Passive mimics - They don't attack unless you open them and try taking any item from inside.
4. Calm mimics - Some of the mimics can't be hit by weapons, pets, etc. until they start attacking. Could be any type from 1 to 3.
5. Frightened mimics - Very rare type of mimic with special loot. When opening the chest, it closes after a second and starts running in a random direction, trying to dissapear without fighting.
That could be cool, though this suggestion is primarily just to make them better at what they do already. *shrugs* :)

Back
Top Bottom