Biomes & Nature Mountains at the world's edge!

RealSaucer

Skeletron
This suggestion was posted in two different threads (long story) on the TO, and got a lot of support, so I'm posting it here aswell. This idea is from me and my friend Patmod373. Also, I wanted to remake the thread anyway.

Right now, your average Terraria world is on a kinda small island. Wouldn't it be cool to make the world part of a large land? This idea is to replace the ocean on one side of the world with a mountain biome, making it look like that. It would also make both the edge biomes a LOT bigger, so more content could fit into them.

The biome would basically be like a small mountain range, starting with small, simple hills to big mountains, ending with a huge mountain peak almost reaching space. After the highest peak, you'd reach the edge of the world.

Got it? Good, then we can move on.

Mobs

Here's some ideas of what could spawn in the mountain biome. The mobs in the biome would get harder the higher you get, from slimes at the lower parts to dragons at the very top. This would be a really cool feeling, I think, as you progress. I won't go through stats, since I'm not very good at balancing.

Pre-HM

Rock Slime

It's not a real biome without a slime, ey?
These are grey-green, and has lots of small stone shards inside them. The jump much more frequently than other slimes, but they can't jump very high, so they have troubles going upwards.
They are found in the lowest parts of the mountain biome.

Drops: Common gel

Mountain Goat/Capricorn
Because why not. They can spawn anywhere in the biome, and share AI with the Unicorn.

Troll (It could also be called Orc if you think that'd be cooler)
These spawn in the higher parts of the mountains, often in packs of 2-3. They spawn much more frequently in Troll Lairs.

Drops: Troll mask (0.5%)

Sky Serpent
Very fast but small enemy, located at the very top of the mountain. Wyvern AI, pre-hardmode dragon.

HM

Armoured Troll

Has a lot better stats than the normal trolls. 1/5 of every troll spawned in HM would spawn an armoured one.

Stone Giant
Similar to the Ice Golem, with the same rarity, but doesn't need rain. It's basically a mini-boss, that spawns more frequently the higher you get.

Mountain Dragon
A green dragon, spawning at the very top of the mountain.
It is slightly rarer than a wyvern, and can spawn with different sizes and stats. It's AI is similar to the Queen Bee, but shoots fireballs instead of stingers and bees.

Structures

Troll Lair
Looks similar to an underground house, but a bit more "messy", and a lot bigger. each one contains at least one Troll Chest, and very often connects to the surface

Items and Loot

Spring Boots
Accessory
-60% Fall damage
+50% Jump height
Makes a funny "Boing" sound when visible.
Combined with Shoe Spikes to make Climbing Boots
Found in the Troll Chests, looks like a shoe with a spring on it.
Tooltip: "Boing Boing"

Troll Mask
Vanity Item (headgear)
Rare drop by Trolls
Looks like a troll face
Tooltip: "Trolololo!"

Faux (Idea by crackshotCerberus)
Sword
If acquired from Troll Chest:
15 Damage
2 Knockback
23 Use Time

If a rare drop of Armoured Trolls:
42 Damage
3 Knockback
22 Use Time

This sword can be enhanced by both Melee and Magic boosts.
(It is also a LOTR reference)

And that's it so far! I really need more ideas for drops, loot, etc.

Last edited:
Nice concept, it would work well in the game and I would love it to appear. Cool ideas and the formatting is clean.

You would have to make up for things that can only be gotten from the ocean (Pirate Maps, Shark Fins, Coral, the Angler, etc), but the idea itself is nice.

Definitely would love for one of the Oceans to be replaced by a Mountain biome.

MetaBiomesNatural.jpg

Sounds nice, but i think it could use some more HM content (Dragon+Giant drops?)(fishron alt? I know it doesn't replace the ocean, but something that drops similar tier gear?)+early game drops, not just the boots ,and maybe you could ask someone to to do stats for you?

Seems interesting, but then what would stop you from going past the world boundary?
It's implied that the ocean goes on forever, so it makes sense to have the edge of the map be past the shoreline. Of course, you can drain the ocean somehow but this is terraria we're talking about.
Meanwhile, mountains are usually either in the middle of a landmass or near the edge of it. Considering that this is a game where you're supposed to dig through miles of rock deep underground, I don't think that a measly little mountain is going to stop you from going past whatever boundary may exist.

What I suggest is having a different type of ocean: instead of the traditional sandy beach type of ocean, it's more of a steep, rocky cliff leading off to a regular [or extended, if we're going with the Extended Oceans idea] ocean at the end of the map, after the mountain ranges. The ground under the sea level could also be steeper and near-vertical, making the water really deep and such.

Seems interesting, but then what would stop you from going past the world boundary?
It's implied that the ocean goes on forever, so it makes sense to have the edge of the map be past the shoreline. Of course, you can drain the ocean somehow but this is terraria we're talking about.
Meanwhile, mountains are usually either in the middle of a landmass or near the edge of it. Considering that this is a game where you're supposed to dig through miles of rock deep underground, I don't think that a measly little mountain is going to stop you from going past whatever boundary may exist.

What I suggest is having a different type of ocean: instead of the traditional sandy beach type of ocean, it's more of a steep, rocky cliff leading off to a regular [or extended, if we're going with the Extended Oceans idea] ocean at the end of the map, after the mountain ranges. The ground under the sea level could also be steeper and near-vertical, making the water really deep and such.
I don't see the problem. When you are at the end of the world you can't go past it. The mountain is meant to make the world feel bigger and make you feel you're not on a island.

Back
Top Bottom