Other Literature My Edit of the Lore Document

MushyMachine

Official Terrarian
so anyway, after I read the Lore document, I noticed that a lot of stuff was still open to interpretation, so after I made quite a few speculations, I edited it to show you guys my interpretation of the story. I think that this classifies as literature, so I'll post it here. Anyway, Here we go.

Welcome to the World of Terraria. A land full of mystery and wonder, with much of its destiny left up to the wildest imaginations... however, a few legends of old have made their way to our present time. Passed down by countless generations of the Order of the Guide, these few scraps of information will serve to help you navigate your journey and overcome threats lurking in the shadows. This knowledge is now passed on to you, the brave adventurer, with the hope that it will aid you in your quest to save our world...

In the beginning, the Gods established a balance to guarantee fairness for all living creatures. This balance was to be of paramount importance, with no cost too great in seeking its fulfillment. Eons have passed since the Gods first began testing the complexities of life in their fairness experiment. In this process, countless living worlds were created and now exist within the Terraria universe. Each world of Terraria is a sentient being that knows all that goes on and can feel the thoughts of all living creatures: with their sole purpose being to ensure that the desired balance is maintained – often violently so. The worlds utilize many defense mechanisms, given to them by the gods, to ensure the balance is upheld at all costs – some of them are known as the Corruption and Crimson, both being forces of darkness, as well as the hallow, a force of light.

The Crimson
The Crimson is a single emergent living being connected directly to each world, sharing a hive mind, and solely focused on restoring balance at all costs. Thousands of worlds before the one on which you stand now have been absorbed by this being. Many misguided people have made the horrific mistake of raising the Crimson to the level of a deity – conducting human sacrifices to it to placate the monstrosity or seek its favor. The Crimson gladly consumes these bodies, becoming one with them and producing terrifying beings, who lose the ability to feel and blindly follow the hive mind.

The Corruption
The Corruption, referred to as the World Evil alongside the Crimson, is a cancer caused by the sins of those living in the worlds of Terraria. The vile actions and thoughts present in all beings feed the growth of the Corruption as it spreads relentlessly across each world. The Corruption knows nothing else but to consume everything it touches, leaving behind terrible creatures of hate that exist for the sole reason to cause pain in punishment for the unearned pleasure experienced by living things. After the Corruption restores balance to life, it destroys it with the goal of turning the world into a desolate abyss void of life.

The Hallow
The Hallow, on the other hand, is of an entirely different nature. Within each world is a Guardian who serves as the world’s master and core. Once this creature is destroyed the world will release the Ancient Spirits of Light and Dark to expedite the process of finding a new Guardian. It is here when the Hallow is created and functions as an overcompensation of purity, taken to the absolute extreme. The Hallow, and the god who created it, The Empress of Light, cure threats that would attempt to violate the critical balance of life, killing anything in their paths as though they were treating an infection – whether friend, foe, or neutral party. Ultimately, the Hallow serves to push back against the never-ceasing encroachment of control.

Your World
It is against the backdrop of this precious balance of life, desolation and pain that the great battles of legend and the adventures of our time take place. In the blind spot of the universe, there exists a planet of unprecedented potential: your world!

Life
In the many worlds of Terraria, there exist many living beings, such as plants, animals, and fungi. On your world, there are immeasurable amounts of life, stretching across the entire land, as well as the sky and sea. The life that inhabits the world have adapted themselves to many climates, but some of the earliest lifeforms are the slimes. These beings are simple minded, corrosive blobs, and can merge with each other tio become larger. Deep underground, a large mass of this slime births all slime in the world.

Souls
Every living creature in the Terraria has a soul. Although almost every soul is different depending on the type of creature, certain beings’ souls have incredibly large amounts of certain attributes. Their powerful souls are so large that when they die, small amounts of the soul are left behind in this plain of existence, able to be harnessed for many purposes. Examples of this are the Wyverns, who have the power of air infused into them, causing them to leave behind souls of flight. The Corruption, Crimson, and Hallow all use their souls to take control of living creatures.

Biomes
In your world, many unique areas exist. Beautiful forests, frozen plains, and many more biomes take up the world that you live in.

The Forest, also known as the Purity, is the most basic of environments. It is home to the most peaceful of animals, and is ideal for setting up a home in. sadly, due to it being completely untainted by light and dark, it is in constant peril of being absorbed by the World Evil or Blessing

The Desert is a desolate landscape made up of sand, where life is rare. The life that does exist is adapted to the desert’s heat and sand, most notably the Antlions, who use sand as a building material for their giant nests. The desert also reacts in strange ways when strong winds blow sand through the air. During sandstorms such as these, dangerous foes appear, and the strongest by far are magical beings made entirely of the power of the desert. It is unknown if they created the desert, or the desert created them.

The Snow biome is a stark contrast to the heat of the desert. This biome is incredibly cold, and is home to the most hardy of life. The ice and snow that fill the landscape is difficult to walk on, and sometimes the ice will break, and send you into freezing water. The pure fridgedness of this boreal forest is also strengthened by the rain. When it rains, it becomes a snowy blizzard, and paralleling how the Sand Elementals appear during sandstorms, the Ice Golems appear during the blizzard. These beings are made entirely out of Ice, and have the power to freeze anything that stands in their way. Unlike the Sand Elementals, it is known that they were created by this frigid power.

The Jungle is much like the forest, except that the humid environment has allowed diverse and lush life to thrive. Terrifying beasts, Evolved versions of normal creatures, and carnivorous plants are only some of the dangers of the jungle. The environment of the jungle has also allowed civilizations to grow. A large population of lizard-like people have built a temple, where they use a large idol to praise their sun god. Within all of the jungle’s greenery, there is a guardian who protects this ecosystem. This guardian is a giant plant known as Plantera. She will appear whenever anything threatens to destroy the jungle, and mercilessly attack anything unusual she sees.

Travel far enough, and you will reach the edge of the island you live on, and encounter the ocean. Here, palm trees sway in the wind, seagulls fly overhead, and the sun shines. But the real wonder of this place is beneath the waves. Here, you can find all manner of fish, dolphins, mollusks, and much more. One of the most bizarre things to exist in the deep sea is a strange mutated being capable of destroying anything that threatens it. The ocean is home to the most abnormal of things.

Beneath the surface, large cave systems exist, made of stone and dirt. The deeper you go, the more riches you will find, such as crystals that can grow your life force. Sadly, along with these riches, more monsters will appear in the deepest depths of these caves.

Deep underground, you can find ruins of an ancient civilization, obsessed with marble and armed with gladiatory weapons. As a counterpart to these marble caves, there are caves made of granite, strangely colored blue, and in some instances becoming animated.

A peculiar phenomenon can occur underground. Large collections of glowing mushrooms can grow on patches of mud, but these aren’t just normal fungi. These mushrooms can infect and bond with any organism they see, even turning grass a strange blue. Strangest of all, they seem to be able to suck the light out of their surroundings. They truly are a mystery.

When you begin to mine deeper into the earth, you will eventually find yourself in the molten Underworld. Full of lava, it is home to all manner of demons. Very evil spirits sometimes are trapped here for their sins as well. The Underworld is also home to the guardian and core of this world, a demon lord called the Wall of Flesh. The Order of the Guide, an organization against Cthulhu, is linked to this being, so that he may be summoned and defeated, to unleash the spirits of light and dark . As you can tell, this biome is very dangerous, but the ruins of buildings can already say that.

Your Story
Your story begins with Cthulhu – a creature of immeasurable power and unknown origin – who arrived long ago with its seemingly sole purpose being to rain destruction on and to have dominion over all the sentient life that flourishes on your world.

None could stand against the advances of Cthulhu. The very fabric of Terraria itself seemed on the precipice of doom. At last, when all hope seemed lost, the ancient race of Dryads arose to wage battle against Cthulhu. The Dryads, with their unparalleled connection to the planet, were Terraria's truly last hope as they joined together to save all life from annihilation.

The Dryads were alas unable to kill Cthulhu. However, with the Dryad’s combined power they were able to cripple Cthulhu's ability to wreak further damage on Terraria by ripping out Cthulhu's eyes, part of its skeleton, and chunks of its brain. The eyes came to life to roam the world, the skull and skeletal arms fled to the edge of the world, the brain chunks merged with the Crimson, and the spine merged with the Corruption. Ultimately this substantial damage forced Cthulhu to retreat to the dark side of the moon, where it was locked away using power from four planets, but it is still gathering strength for another attempt at total conquest. As for the Dryads, sadly, all but a single member perished... and the sole survivor has not been seen for many, many years.

Lunatic Cult
Much time has passed since the Great War of Cthulhu. However, rumors tell of a Lunatic Cult led by a fanatical zealot that is methodically seeking to revive Cthulhu to its former power and bring about the end of the world. As a part of these efforts, a renowned genius – known simply as the Mechanic – has been kidnapped and forced to rebuild the parts needed to make Cthulhu whole once again. Hushed whispers tell of the results of these experiments: horrible mechanical simulacrums of Cthulhu's organs. The Mechanic has nearly completed her work, only needing to finish the Mechanical brain to restore Cthulhu to its full destructive power.

Passing travelers hear construction and screams emanating from the Dungeon – an evil, demonic fortress of the dead at the edge of the world in which the Mechanic is supposedly held prisoner as she conducts her work.

Many across Terraria have fallen under the possession of the cult, including the benevolent Old Man who oversees the Dungeon, a once thriving city full of life, guarded by paladins, inhabited by many, and home to a large number of mages, many of them using water magic. Parts of Cthulhu’s skeleton come to life created a curse that forced all its inhabitants to go mad – living beyond the point where their bodies rotted away and they became mindless undead servants of evil. Without some intervention, some force to stem this tide, some hero to save the day, Terraria's doom is nigh at hand!

This brings us to our adventure. It begins with you – in humble beginnings and shown your path by a faithful and mysterious member of the Order of the Guide. As this world's champion, you will experience communications from the world to help protect your mission. The world has brought you to this specific location at this specific time – will you stand up and fight for Terraria against the growing shadows of impending doom?

so, that's what my interpretation of the lore is. This took a little bit to make, well my edit at least, and I would love to hear your feedback! remember, You create your own story in Terraria. you don't even have to accept the lore document as fact in your story! since this was just an edit of an already existing article, I was kind of limited, so I might make my own entire document later. I'm gonna attach a link to my edited document too, so that you can read outside of this forum. Goodbye!

Back
Top Bottom