tAPI NeoMods

I Wonder If Neo Is Going To Make A Mod That Adds Weapons

I enjoy coming up with new things. So if I ever get a good idea for a weapon, I'd probably do it. But it'd have to fulfill one of two important conditions: it goes along with the theme of a mod (really the only themed mod I have is Master Crafter), or it has to be something unique in function. It couldn't be just a recolor or new sprite for an existing type of weapon. Adding that kind of stuff seems more like doing a chore. Figuring out how to get the game to do something it doesn't normally do is my kind of fun!

For example:
  • Draw - Turns a game into a paint program
  • Utilities - Adds various game mechanics, most of them from suggestions made in the Player Suggestions area
  • Debug - Is a tool I use all the time to help me better understand what my other mods are doing wrong
  • Disassembly Station - Un-crafting
  • Tile Direction - Another suggestion from the Player Suggestions area allows even more tiles to face either direction
  • Tile Foreground - Adds an additional layer of depth
  • Recipe Book - Shows all recipes, and is great for Role Players who want to discover recipes as they gather items
  • Light Beams - Another Player Suggestion that's just really fun to play with, and cool to look at
  • Master Crafter:
    • Tents that let you sleep through the night
    • Craftable Demon/Crimson Altars
    • Station Groups to conserve space
    • The Coil, a tile that spreads biomes for you, or protects the biomes you love.
    • The Coil Amplifier that physically connects to the Coil once placed
    • Mult-Wrench, every color wire, placeable with just one tool. (Has anyone tried an ALTernate way of Right Clicking it? Shh...)
    • Pulverizer accessory - Prevents destroyed tiles from dropping an item.
    • Sunlit Boss items so you can face your enemies at the time you choose.
The only weapon ideas I have right now are:
  • A magical staff that transforms critters into other critters. It's funny to see, lol
  • A boulder gun that shoots out those boulders that are always falling on our heads
  • And a Nail Gun that uses nails as ammo. Nails will be introduced into Master Crafter soon to spruce up crafting recipes, along with one time use crafting plans, and other building materials. (Glue, screws, mechanical widgets, making the sawmill require saw blades for some items, etc)

May I suggest a mod that differs from your normal route? Changing what certain NPCs sell during Hardmode. Nearly all of them become useless later on. Go check out @SzGamer227 's Merchant suggestion.

I'm a fan of quite a few of SzGamer227's ideas. That one would require creating quite a few new items, weapons, and armors. Probably too many for me to want to do at this time. But I'll add it to my mod ideas list. I look through it whenever I'm at a good stopping point in my mod development, or when a particular problem is frustrating me and I need a break. Thanks for the suggestion, and for thinking I'm capable of creating it! :)

Just wanted to thank you for these mods especially neo draw . Fantastic work and i look forward to the new updates and mods you will bring.
Neo draw was a life saver since im on mac and i cant run tedit so this was even better.

Hey Neo, I just had a suggestion for a new mod! This may take some time, but what if you could paint your own painting in-game? For example, you could buy paints and tools from the Painter NPC, make a canvas (what if you could choose the size?), and start painting. I feel like it's an interesting idea, and you seemed like the guy to be able to do it. If it seems impossible, you can leave it alone, but it's just a suggestion for you to think about. :)

It's the end of another day, so here's the next minor update to one of my mods.

Neo Draw got another update...
  • Updated visuals for selections, now with better highlighting and they also have a moving marquee like the Selection Button. Has everyone tried out Cut, Copy, and Paste yet?
  • The first list sort option is available. I'm still working out how best to switch between different sort modes, but for now just click on a tab while it's the current tab. So if you're in the Tiles tab, just click the Tiles tab again to alternate between sort by ID, and sort by name.
  • Changing screen size no longer messes up the scroll bars or the Undo/Redo buttons
  • Changed the world layer markers slightly
  • Flood Fill can now go outside the bounds of your screen if you fill while holding down the Alt key

Here's a screenshot showing some of the changes. Also visible in the screenshot is the start of a status bar. It'll display messages, tool information, etc. It's WIP so not included in today's update.
IjRfah9.png

That's it for today. Hope you enjoy!

Just wanted to thank you for these mods especially neo draw . Fantastic work and i look forward to the new updates and mods you will bring.
Neo draw was a life saver since im on mac and i cant run tedit so this was even better.
Glad to hear you're enjoying them! Let me know of any features you think might be beneficial to add, or mod ideas. Especially for Neo Draw since there aren't too many people using it yet.
Hey Neo, I just had a suggestion for a new mod! This may take some time, but what if you could paint your own painting in-game? For example, you could buy paints and tools from the Painter NPC, make a canvas (what if you could choose the size?), and start painting. I feel like it's an interesting idea, and you seemed like the guy to be able to do it. If it seems impossible, you can leave it alone, but it's just a suggestion for you to think about. :)
I played around with this idea. A while back I had a developer's build of Master Crafter available for download. It created and modified textures in memory. I was thinking of using the code to allow players to customize their weaponry. You'd go to an NPC, place your weapon in the slot, pay some coin, then a window would pop up showing the current items texture. You could make changes to it, apply them, then have have a new fangled weapon to look at! I abandoned the idea though cause it would require saving the texture files to the players PC in order to load for next time, and I wasn't too comfortable doing that. I like the way you think though, cause I sure was excited about that idea when I first had it!

I had a developer's build of Master Crafter available for download. It created and modified textures in memory. I was thinking of using the code to allow players to customize their weaponry. You'd go to an NPC, place your weapon in the slot, pay some coin, then a window would pop up showing the current items texture. You could make changes to it, apply them, then have have a new fangled weapon to look at! I abandoned the idea though cause it would require saving the texture files to the players PC in order to load for next time, and I wasn't too comfortable doing that. I like the way you think though, cause I sure was excited about that idea when I first had it!
Thanks for the compliment! I tend to get good ideas like that one (narcissistic much?), but I see what you're saying about the textures. Oh well, when I get another good idea, I'll ask you if its possible. :D

What.
The..
FUDGE ???
O_O

I must say I'm impressed ! I mean, In like 2 weeks you came up with a bunch of new ideas (and items) that look (Dark)Awesome !
I mean the shelves, the Neo Draw Update (I don't use the mod cause I'm too lazy to draw)... I really feel like that's a lot.
Well maybe I'm just impressed by a simple thing but still.

Lookin' good :) Great job @Neojin

EDIT : Can you please update the mod's description ? I nearly missed the update :p

Can't wait to see if a Search Bar comes in the future.

-snip-

I could you use the help of a few brave testers. I have a Search Bar implemented... kind of... maybe. That's what I need help figuring out. Anyone interested in trying it out should Click Here (Link removed, beta no longer available, release version now includes the search bar). There aren't any changes that were made that should cause any files to be corrupted, but it is likely to crash. Enjoy it if you'd like! And if it crashes please inform me via PM with any info you might be able to provide.

Here's a screenshot for those you choose not to download it at this time -
wQjU1UI.png

I think the most beneficial from your list of ideas is the searchfunction :p great update btw
Also have you posted it on the terraria reddit? that will get it the attention it deserves :)

The reddit page seems like a great place to spread the word! Thanks! I need to update the main post, and make some new GIFs showing off some Neo Draw stuff, then I'll do that!
I must say I'm impressed ! I mean, In like 2 weeks you came up with a bunch of new ideas (and items) that look (Dark)Awesome !
I mean the shelves, the Neo Draw Update (I don't use the mod cause I'm too lazy to draw)... I really feel like that's a lot.
Well maybe I'm just impressed by a simple thing but still.

EDIT : Can you please update the mod's description ? I nearly missed the update

Thank you for the compliments! And you're very right. I need to pause and update the OP info. I was coming out with updates so often I just stopped doing change logs and updating that info. (Bad programmer! >.< ) Thanks for reminding me!

P.S. - Just to give you an idea how 'simple' Neo Draw is, the User Interface file alone is 5,416 lines long. There's 109 files altogether. (Not counting the 10 ID files I put in every mod) I modified 85+ functions from the WorldGen file so structures like the dungeon and temple can be created post World Generation, and so everything done would support Undo/Redo. :p

P.P.S - I know you were just kidding, lol.

Last edited:
Neojin, your stuff never ceases to amaze. One question, how do you keep all this stuff organized? With how complex this stuff is, you might want to consider using a version-control program. I'd suggest Github, its a great way to have everything organized. It makes it easy to undo mistakes, and you have trouble with something it's easy to get input from others. It's free too.

New update for Neo Draw is available.

V 1.1
  • New Smoothing option added to Other tab. 'Intelligently' applies slope style and half brick to smooth out terrain changes.
  • Corruption Biome now added to Structures tab! How could I have left that out for so long?
  • Make Hole added to Structures tab. Somewhat random looking holes of selectable size with or without water.
  • Mayan (Lihzahrd) Pryamid is available as a sub-selection of Pyramid. This is a slight variation to the Egyptian pyramid that I've coded

I also updated some of the info in the OP for Neo Draw. And included this new infographic I created -
Ocr0FhA.png

Neojin, your stuff never ceases to amaze. One question, how do you keep all this stuff organized? With how complex this stuff is, you might want to consider using a version-control program. I'd suggest Github, its a great way to have everything organized. It makes it easy to undo mistakes, and you have trouble with something it's easy to get input from others. It's free too.
I'm really interested in using some type of version-control software, but Git is a little overkill for my needs. I'm looking for something much simpler, but there aren't many versioning programs geared toward the single developer.

I try to keep several backups at various points of my mods, especially when making a drastic change. I make ample use of descriptive, single purpuse functions, natural sounding variables, and custom extensions. (For example I can use - if (Main.tile[x, y].IsNotSolid()) instead of using - if (!TileDef.solid[Main.tile(x, y).type]) ) I also make use of Regions to help keep my code separated.
5600 lines of code can fit on a single screen once I have things closed up, lol

ujz9zql.png

Have I ever talked about how useful and cool these mods are? These mods are basically the usefulness of Miraimai's Dual Wield mod and the coolness of the Thorium Mod combined. I don't think I have ever mentioned that you are my official favorite mod creator either. So great job and keep it up! :D

I just thought of something that might be really handy. Would it be possible to code a mod that allows you to toggle rainfall? I've noticed that sometimes rain in my worlds can cause a sudden, MASSIVE nosedive in my FPS, to the point of making the game unplayable. It would be great to just have a way to tell errant rainstorms to get lost. Or if you actually WANTED some rain, to tell them to show up.

This seems like the kind of code-based, quality-of-life mod that you excel at, so I just thought I'd make the suggestion.

I just thought of something that might be really handy. Would it be possible to code a mod that allows you to toggle rainfall? I've noticed that sometimes rain in my worlds can cause a sudden, MASSIVE nosedive in my FPS, to the point of making the game unplayable. It would be great to just have a way to tell errant rainstorms to get lost. Or if you actually WANTED some rain, to tell them to show up.

This seems like the kind of code-based, quality-of-life mod that you excel at, so I just thought I'd make the suggestion.
I need to come up with some more ideas like this to have enough to make a mod out of it. I'd like to do something similar to the Misc tab of Shockah's FCM but not duplicate everything he's already added. I just don't know what else to have alongside that. Let me know what other little tweaks you think up!

If you have the Developer's Console enabled in the Mod's Menu, you can open it up and use this to start / stop rain for the time being.
Main.StartRain();
Main.StopRain();

I need to come up with some more ideas like this to have enough to make a mod out of it. I'd like to do something similar to the Misc tab of Shockah's FCM but not duplicate everything he's already added. I just don't know what else to have alongside that. Let me know what other little tweaks you think up!

If you have the Developer's Console enabled in the Mod's Menu, you can open it up and use this to start / stop rain for the time being.
Main.StartRain();
Main.StopRain();
*Cough* Grox's Template Mod *Cough* Rain Wand *Cough*

Main.StartRain();
Main.StopRain();
Maybe you can make a mod where you can make certain events happen with a 'flick of the wand.' For example, you could make a blood moon happen with a Blood Wand. (The Blood Wand could only be created with items from the blood moon so that you have to at least experience a blood moon once.) Or a Solar Eclipse could be initiated with a Hero Sword. (This could be a consumable where its created with a Broken Hero Sword. That way you won't be able to get unlimited Broken Hero Swords lol.) Hope this mod works out because it seems interesting.

Let me fix that.

Maybe certain items that use 200 mana that alter the events that happen.

A Day/Night Changer
A Solar Eclipse Summoner
A Blood Moon Summoner

Let me fix that.

Maybe certain items that use 200 mana that alter the events that happen.

A Day/Night Changer
A Solar Eclipse Summoner
A Blood Moon Summoner
That makes more sense, except for the fact that you can summon a solar eclipse whenever you want with just 200 mana. That's why I said that he should make the item consumable/one use only so that its not too OP.

Back
Top Bottom