Items Nerf Reaver Shark

I didnt know why my sword wasnt swinging overhead like my wooden sword.

People dont learn very fast.
Some do I mean just think about the amount of people who are able to learn terraria fast
For me trying to figure out ways to get more ore on my first run was a gate way to getting this tool so easily
Its simply to easy to get this weapon
It would be nice if it had some balance on how it could be obtained like killing skeletron, brain of cthulhu, or eater of worlds

I guess that the Revear Shark can be used for those who are experienced. But that isn't the case for newbies. People who just played the game for the first and get themselves a reaver shark won't go straight down to the underworld, they don't aim for speed runs, but mainly for a first impression of how the game is. They'll rather choose to enjoy the game by exploring around rather than ending it quickly (coz then itll be too boring). And most importantly, how does a first timer even know the presence of the underworld in the first place. (excluding those who check the wiki, but its spoilers, so they probably won't want to see it until they play it themselves.)

I can also get Obsidian potions from fishing. Reaver Shark+Obsidian skin, hell mining is not too hard.
Oh, I can even stock up crates to skip early hardmode mining.
So, maybe, 'Nerf Fishing', or not. Not is great for me.

Yup, Reaver Shark is absolutely powerful. You can get it in the beginning and mine some Hellstone in the Underworld.
But, as Leinfors said, "The "you can skip stuff" element of it is seemingly intentional".
And also, if you play with summoner class, the "Reaver Shark > Hellstone > Imp Staff" is almost the only way to get your first summoner weapon (another is the "Slime Statue > Slime Staff").

However, Reaver Shark is too powerful anyway. So I think the solution of the problem should be that:
First of all, I think Pickaxe Power of Reaver Shark should be decreased from 100% to 95% (you can no longer mine Cobalt/Palladium :)).
Next, you can defeat EoW/BoC in the first days too, but it would be harder than Reaver Shark catching. Harder, but not too much.
So, you should be able to catch the pickaxe ONLY with a 17% Fishing Power+ fishing pole (each fishing pole has 20% Fishing Power+, except Wood Fishing Pole and Reinforced Fishing Pole).
OK, you can get the pickaxe if you find Fiberglass Fishing Pole in the Jungle. It's really hard for that pickaxe.
But what about the Fishing Rods from Demonite/Crimtane? They would be useless for Reaver Shark catching, because you can already craft Nightmare/Deathbringer Pickaxe and mine the hellstone.
Although Reaver Shark is faster than Molten Pickaxe, hmm..... An idea!
Let's make a new fishing rod with 17% Fishing Power (Fisher of Souls has 20%) which can be obtained by completing 2nd Angler's quest!
It would be more balanced, but fishermans still can get Reaver Shark as alternative to combat.

Last edited:

The Reaver Shark is a pickaxe. It ties with the Molten Pickaxe in terms of strength, both have 100% pickaxe power.
The problem? The reaver shark can be obtained day 2 on a small world. Day 1 if you are lucky, and it still skips a lot of time on a medium/large world.

You can just run to the ocean and build 2 houses. Obtain a bug net from and merchant fish up the reaver shark (it is not THAT rare really) and then go mine hellstone and obtain a full molten set, and then kill wall of flesh with ease. Almost the entire pre-hardmode can be skipped because of this. It seriously needs a nerf, on expert mode this pickaxe makes all bosses a faceroll if you can obtain full molten before fighting them.

There are two ways i can think of that can fix this.
1: Nerf pickaxe power to 60%, increase fishing chance.
2: Only make it obtainable after defeating EOW/BOC, and slightly increase pickaxe power?
If there is anything I forgot to point out it is that the reaver shark can mine cobalt and palladium

If there is anything I forgot to point out it is that the reaver shark can mine cobalt and palladium
AND... BTW, each platform has an easy-to-get pick/drill thats OP. Mobile and 3DS have Draxes in Shadow Chests.

How is that any different than a reaver shark? Drax is BETTER.

Its a hardmode drill in prehardmode.
Tell me ONE reason
that the DRAX shouldnt be nerfed on 3DS and mobile.

Its a hard to get drill?

Cool. Walking down to the ocean through daunting jungle monsters or climbing the dungeon where you can get goblin thief attacked is hard too.
Copper shortsword or wood wont help ya there.

Didn't realize Mobile had a way to get Drax pre-hardmode. I learn a lot from forum posts.

Dizelvink, my latest 1.3 character, finally got around to fishing up a Reaver Shark. It's a considerable improvement but doesn't make him a super fighter. It does mean less time spent (or wasted, depending on one's point of view) chopping holes in the ground, leaving more time for the interesting parts, the fun parts of the game: exploring, collecting, fighting, and building. I can't see any drawback to this.

He also fished up a Sawtooth Shark and a Rockfish, providing a triad of decently high-powered toolfishes. I don't find the abilities to slope blocks more quickly, or to harvest wood in a less yawn-provoking way, to be in any way harming game balance. Having gone through early game stages several times, I feel sufficiently familiar with what it's like to be a sloooow worker — I've no wish to continue at a molasses-in-January pace longer than necessary.

Now, if it were possible to get, say, Shroomite Digging Claws from a naturally spawning Glowing Mushroom Chest in pre-hardmode, I would definitely consider that innovation ripe for nerfing. In fact, I'd recommend gating it behind the mech bosses. The Claws' speed is undeniably breathtaking, to the point that I wouldn't consider it hyperbolic to say pre-hardmode availability would be unbalancing. Saying the same thing about the Reaver Shark… I would.

Hardcore expert (nobody on YouTube seems to do this, so I am assuming that most people here are also playing softcore):

1. Farm 50 silver.
2. Build/find two homes.
3. Have the merchant move in.
4. Buy a bug net.
5. Farm at least 20 bugs. By now, it's dark and you have to deal with flying eyes and zombies.
6. Survive getting to the ocean (past corruption/crimson).
7. Be lucky enough to get the pickaxe before you run out of bait.

This is not happening on day 1.

Yes, fishing gives you a ton of stuff, but it takes time. Adventuring takes time too, but success leads to game advancement. I prefer pre-hardmode because there's so much more exploring, building and danger (100 life, 0 defense, traps) than in hardmode.

So now you have your overpowered reaver shark and you've dug down to the underworld, but you're still naked and without a ranged weapon. You can't kill anything and the enemies 2-shot you. A couple of hellbats (70 dmg per hit) kill you several times over before you even land in the freaking lava. GG.

asking to remove this is like asking to remove hoiking. yes it's really good for how hard it is to pull off, but it's also super deliberate, time consuming, and specific. that means people will only do it if they know how and want to. the only way it possibly could ruin your experience is if you wanted a challenge, but somehow couldn't resist doing things the easy way. That or you're upset someone else did things the easy way but feels as accomplished as you.

OK. I completely hate this idea. I skipped most of molten gear because of all the crates I obtained while trying to get the Reaver Shark. I had full Adamantite when I first entered Hardmode. Which I guess isn't a good reason to keep it. LOL.

I don't think having the Reaver Shark be overpowered is that much of a problem -- yeah it's mildly sequence-breaking, but it's part of a pattern where fishing allows for limited sequence breaking. Other pattern members are the Rockfish, Sawtooth Shark, and the Falcon Blade (IMHO overshadowing the more direct Swordfish). And fishing for biome crates can get you some of their chest items.

The thing is, there actually is a gate there: You need to be able to get to the ocean (always across evil, and perhaps jungle as well), get bait, and survive fishing out there long enough to snag an RS (which also needs some fishing power). You can do that with raw skill and guts, but most folks will take a little more time to de-crunchify themselves first.

It's not as bright a line as "I beat EOC", but it's something.

The Reaver Shark is a pickaxe. It ties with the Molten Pickaxe in terms of strength, both have 100% pickaxe power.
The problem? The reaver shark can be obtained day 2 on a small world. Day 1 if you are lucky, and it still skips a lot of time on a medium/large world.

You can just run to the ocean and build 2 houses. Obtain a bug net from and merchant fish up the reaver shark (it is not THAT rare really) and then go mine hellstone and obtain a full molten set, and then kill wall of flesh with ease. Almost the entire pre-hardmode can be skipped because of this. It seriously needs a nerf, on expert mode this pickaxe makes all bosses a faceroll if you can obtain full molten before fighting them.

There are two ways i can think of that can fix this.
1: Nerf pickaxe power to 60%, increase fishing chance.
2: Only make it obtainable after defeating EOW/BOC, and slightly increase pickaxe power?
The reaver shark was introduced for more calm players, who prefer fishing, building, wiring, and NPC quests over excessive combat and strategy (I'm the latter). Remember, Terraria is supposed to be for all types of players! *note* There is a nerfed version of the Reaver Shark called the Candy Cane Pickaxe from the Christmas Season...

Back
Top Bottom