Items Nerf Reaver Shark

I have a way to end this discussion once and for all (Hopefully).
Terraria has lots of game unbalances and inconsistencies, and to quote Leinfors, fishing is completely optional. In my first playthrough, I hardly fished at all. Just some Angler quests. And I progressed just fine. Also, if you are using a wood fishing pole and worms as bait, that adds up to 30% fishing power. The Reaver Shark has a 1/100 chance at 50%. That means that you are either going to be at the ocean for a while, or you get super lucky and end up with a good pick.
Which reminds me, having a good pickaxe is hardly game-changing (Most of the time - I'm looking at you, Shroomite Digging Claw). I mean, sure, you can go to the underworld and get molten armor. However, if you are a newbie, you won't even know the Reaver Shark exists, unless you look at a wiki or ask someone. And for more experienced players, who CARES if you can skip pre-hardmode? It is, without a doubt, the most boring part of the game. The only part that rivals it is the early-hardmode grind. So who really cares if more experienced players can skip that early grind? You have done it enough times already.

Sorry about my rant. I got carried away.
THANK YOU.
FREAKING
THANK YOU.

Alright, I'm stepping back in.

Just because you can't survive without certain gear doesn't mean that other people aren't capable of doing so. I would remind you that other people can kill bosses with copper shortswords and whatnot.

But hey, talk is cheap, right? So, just to prove my point: I took a new character, went into my usual world and got myself a nightmare pick (because I'm not spending three hours dealing with RNG), put on wood armor and a wood sword, made a new world and started digging.

I entered the Underworld with wood armor, a iron sword (made of material I got while digging down), a few health potions, rope and a lot of stone/dirt. Built myself a rope bridge back up. Went down again.

Long story short, I got over 150 hellstone before I stopped. And I didn't even get killed- I just realized that that was more than enough for a full set of molten armor and there was no more point in continuing, as once I have molten armor the Underworld is no longer a challenge.

Full molten armor, retrieved with four defense, a ten damage weapon, no accessories and a pickaxe equivalent to one you can obtain at the beginning of the game, without dying. To quote: Check and mate.
Agreeing with Bob the Peanut, Terraria can be inconsistent at times and has items that make it easy to breeze straight past certain parts of the game. The Daedalus Stormbow dummies The Destroyer into The Really Big Hose With Lasers, diving quickly down into the corruption, snagging a musket, and grappling out makes Pre-Hardmode early on pathetic, and I got a Grappling Hook with just what i could scrounge on the surface on day 1. You can do this if you have skill, and if you dont, so be it!

And by the way?
Some players dont even know this exists. These are my estimations
Amount of players who know this is there 50% (Some dont study this like a book thank you)
Amount of players who will bother to try and get it 40%
Amount of players who will actually do it right 30%
Amount of players who will do it right and not lose to the rng 20%
Amount of players who will actually think of using it for skipping most of hardmode 10%
Amount of players who are actually skilled enough to survive down there once they do 5% (Oh, uh, by the way? If these results look odd im also factoring in the other amounts, So more than 5% of players are good enough but the 5% is those who are also in the rest of the percentages)
Amount of players and forumers who actually bothered reading this 0%

I think obtaining the Reaver Shark is an alternative way to beat pre-Hardmode. Even if you'll have the strongest pickaxe early-game, you'll need gear to face the WoF or Underworld enemies (most people won't do it without good weapons or armor).

Also I don't get why people want to nerf it. Terraria is intended to work as a sandbox game, which means that it's a non-linear game... and this is an example Terraria's non-linearity. If something should be fixed, then eventually I'd reduce the chance to get it. Otherwise, nah.

I read it, and I'll have you know that I count as 3.2% of the entire forum. Its true.
Estimations.
I think obtaining the Reaver Shark is an alternative way to beat pre-Hardmode. Even if you'll have the strongest pickaxe early-game, you'll need gear to face the WoF or Underworld enemies (most people won't do it without good weapons or armor).

Also I don't get why people want to nerf it. Terraria is intended to work as a sandbox game, which means that it's a non-linear game... and this is an example Terraria's non-linearity. If something should be fixed, then eventually I'd reduce the chance to get it. Otherwise, nah.
THANK YOU. FREAKING THANK YOU.

Long story short, I got over 150 hellstone before I stopped. And I didn't even get killed- I just realized that that was more than enough for a full set of molten armor and there was no more point in continuing, as once I have molten armor the Underworld is no longer a challenge.
Not to mention the Reaver Shark will allow you to destroy the Dungeon and evil biome early. Otherwise, why bother making dungeon brick unmineable and telling the player to get Purif. Powder / bombs for Ebonstone and Crimstone? In my opinion, it shouldn't be able to mine anything better than Meteor. Nerf it.

For a lame comparison, the equivalent Rockfish (equal to Molten Hammer) doesn't allow you to break altars. Not that that would matter too much, since that can't be done pre-hardmode and aside from that, hammer power is irrelevant anyway.

Besides, if a person wants to skip pre-hardmode, don't bother with a Reaver Shark. Go get a Picksaw or a Lunar pickaxe and rip the world to pieces. Or dig straight down to the Underworld and fight WoF. You don't need a fancy pickaxe for that.

The suggestion strikes me as a "stop liking what I don't like" thing. The Reaver Shark is a tool, not a super-weapon. Acquiring one makes common pre-hardmode chores less of a tiresome grind than they would otherwise be, without giving the user an unfair, game-unbalancing combat advantage.

Removing the ability to get a Reaver Shark at a point in play when it's still useful would do nothing but to increase the boredom factor without any compensating positive. I can't see a reason to support this proposal.

Now, if you wanted to make it a feature in a mod, I wouldn't object at all. That way only those who wanted to inflict tedium on themselves would be forced to suffer, instead of all Terraria players.
Agree

No offense but who cares? I believe that if people buy the game they can do what they choose. Somebody getting the nerf reaver very early on wont affect you, so why do you care?

No offense but who cares? I believe that if people buy the game they can do what they choose. Somebody getting the nerf reaver very early on wont affect you, so why do you care?
Okay, I really was supposed to be done with this thread after the replies started degrading to 'agree' and 'OMG THANK YOU', but this annoys me enough from multiple perspectives that I'm allowing myself to toss in a last reply.

'If people buy the game they can do what they choose' isn't the issue here- of course people can do whatever the living hell they want. Some people spawn in their gear and items- all that's their prerogative and most of us couldn't care less. The issue that OP is bringing up is that an item that is arguably far too good for its tier is available far too early, which if you'll remember, is why so many people complained about the terrablade pre-1.3.

I've seen both good and bad arguments for both sides of this argument, and I've taken a more or less ambivalent stance myself, but 'people should be free to do what they want' as an argument against balancing items doesn't work.

That all said, I'll now wash my hands of this entire affair before this thread degenerates any further.

To be honest, I think it is more of a novelty tool than anything else, a bit like The Axe (obviously more game breaking than it). It should be nerfed so it keeps the fast mining speed, but just change it so it can't mine hellstone. Or gate it past the first step. :p

OK heres the thing.
What are the odds that someone who doesnt KNOW WHAT THEYRE DOING AND CANT PULL A QUICK PREHARDMODE RUNTHROUGH.... Is actually going to know to get wood, make a fishing rod, get the merchant, get a bug net, get some bait and hike down to the ocean and start fishing? This is for the people that do know and already beat the moonlord before. Sheesh.

OK heres the thing.
What are the odds that someone who doesnt KNOW WHAT THEYRE DOING AND CANT PULL A QUICK PREHARDMODE RUNTHROUGH.... Is actually going to know to get wood, make a fishing rod, get the merchant, get a bug net, get some bait and hike down to the ocean and start fishing? This is for the people that do know and already beat the moonlord before. Sheesh.
I did this back in 1.2.4.1 after I figured out what fishing was
You have to remember that there are still people who have multiple playing styles
This could have happened to any noobie to pc terraria the moment they figure out what fishing is

Back
Top Bottom