No Wood Boxes: A Building Guide

Hello I stopped to build wooden boxes and this is my first house:
Capture 2015-08-04 12_52_27.png

What do you think about it?

Nice, but you should refrain from building wooden houses. Or using nothing but wood material.

If I were you, you should try building a boreal wood igloo.

Here's a thing my wife built back in 1.2, it was more a teleporter hub than actual housing.
3ORM8hS.jpg

Here's a castle I was working on back in 1.2.

Also my little floating "ufo" inspired house. There was plenty of space for folks to move in on the right side, there are a number of cool features in it, (the angle ramps, for example, have many actuators that can let you run right through them on any given floor. When toggled the other way the platforms actuate into the background so you can run full speed up or down the ramp instead.)

It took a while to build as I placed every block by hand, (I did mine a fair amount of the materials but still spawned in probably 2/3rds of them.) The cross shape at the top of the queen has actuators that allows you to exit the very top or out the sides with pressure plates that will make it all solid again. Unfortunately some of the larger common areas were so big that the game didn't recognize them as housing and would allow monsters to spawn within the walls. :/

QhceoE7.jpg
Edit: It looks like the inline image is unreliable for this one, here's the link in case it doesn't load: http://i.imgur.com/QhceoE7.jpg

Last edited:
It was a work in progress but the world file got corrupted. I'm surprised it opened for me last night at all. To get inside you use the teleporters on the outside edges, they have pressure plates and just teleport you through the walls. This way no monsters should get in, (unless you bring them with you on the teleporter...) at least that was the idea. Like I said, a couple of the rooms were so big that they didn't block spawns.

The little floating house has actuated walls with pressure plates, in that screenshot you can see the right one is actually open. Normally I try to keep them both closed.

Last edited:
this is my first real fancy house I'm still pre skeletron, any valid suggestions on building mats? be warned this is a work in progress

Attachments

• Capture 2015-08-07 11_07_37.png
    Capture 2015-08-07 11_07_37.png
    912.8 KB · Views: 418
this is my first real fancy house I'm still pre skeletron, any valid suggestions on building mats? be warned this is a work in progress
i really like that shape actually. I think its more suited to something space aged so i would change the wood when you can to something more metal like and add support beams to the inside

I think its more suited to something space aged so i would change the wood when you can to something more metal like and add support beams to the inside
I kinda see a face in the center of that structure, so I was thinking of materials to enhance that appearance, what do you mean support beams? can you demonstrate?

My small trading post not box
Capture 2015-08-06 09_33_52.png
Also my spiral staircase
Capture 2015-08-07 07_13_11.png
ignore the confetti
I was inspired by this thread to take up building and start some building suggestion threads

hi, i licked ur guid and i treed it out
i did well gud
tell me if u licked it cheez
tank u
ok baie

Attachments

• Capture 2015-08-08 17_20_21.png
    Capture 2015-08-08 17_20_21.png
    284.6 KB · Views: 532
Back
Top Bottom