On Strange Plants...

Either stop them from spawning or get your dirt bridge out of their range, either by terraforming or moving the dirt bridge itself.

I decided to take a slightly different route

this is my strange plant farm, 800 ft in the air and everything mined down to 0 level LOL
thanks @Yoraiz0r for making me spend 2 days sterilizing a section of the world lol

I think strange plants need a maximum 150-200 clear block radius, 700ft is WAY too much

I decided to take a slightly different route

this is my strange plant farm, 800 ft in the air and everything mined down to 0 level LOL
thanks @Yoraiz0r for making me spend 2 days sterilizing a section of the world lol

I think strange plants need a maximum 150-200 clear block radius, 700ft is WAY too much
Im gonna try building at the top of the world a big bridge made of asphalt and moss stone.

Edit: also, 700ft = 350 blocks, so why 200?
i take it back, did the same, my world limit is 800fts high, its way to much, i guess the best way to farm the dyes is end game...with the drill mount :/

-also, fail, i need an Blend-O-Manic for that, asphalt is gonna have to wait till hardmode, better just moss stone.

Last edited:
So far I've found yet another 4 plants.

My best tip, next to building a great dirt bridge (which everyone here figured out by now) is, to host your world ONLINE and REHOST it every time you farmed all your stranged plants on the surface.

I just found nothing on my bridge (after letting my Terraria run overnight).
I rehosted the world online, and all of a sudden 6 Plants spawned on my bridges.

So for all of you struggling to find some, you might want to try to rejoin / rehost / restart your world, and check again.

Last edited:
So far I've found yet another 4 plants.

My best tip, next to building a great dirt bridge (which everyone here figured out by now) is, to host your world ONLINE and REHOST it every time you farmed all your stranged plants on the surface.

I just found nothing on my bridge (after letting my Terraria run overnight).
I rehosted the world online, and all of a sudden 6 Plants spawned on my bridges.

So for all of you struggling to find some, you might want to try to rejoin / rehost / restart your world, and check again.
This seems to be more and more clear. Reconnecting to a world seems to expose recently grown strange plants. In addition, if you are hosting your world on a dedicated server, you can do the settle command to expose them.

Here is what 'Blue Acid', the only one I've been able to find, looks like on a kimono.
It is animated like the waterfall blocks.
08F52hU.jpg

This seems to be more and more clear. Reconnecting to a world seems to expose recently grown strange plants. In addition, if you are hosting your world on a dedicated server, you can do the settle command to expose them.

Right now, i cant host(becouse of a bug), does it work if i do it on the console server? Or do i have to join for it to work?

Right now, i cant host(becouse of a bug), does it work if i do it on the console server? Or do i have to join for it to work?

The settle command only works on the console server, afaik.
I can't exactly tell you if you have to join, though. For me it works by hosting my own world, leaving, and rehosting it.

I guess the console should be the same thing.
The strange plants DO have some sort of a respawn timer, though. I generally have to wait around 2-3 ingame days in order for them to respawn. (Waiting 2-3 Days, rehosting and then they are on the bridge most of the time)

If by console you mean the CMD looking program the game comes with, and you can download from the website as "server software", then yes. That's what a dedicated server is.

Such a cooldown does not seem to exist for me. I sometimes refresh with a quick settle only 10 minutes after the last harvest and I'll have another plant.

Okay, so I've continued looking everywhere... I've even done another world just for looking.
Not. A. Single. Plant.
Considering how many of these you need to have any hope of getting enough of the same dye to dye a full set of stuff, these plants are waaaay too rare.
He gives 3 dye for one plant.

If by console you mean the CMD looking program the game comes with, and you can download from the website as "server software", then yes. That's what a dedicated server is.

Such a cooldown does not seem to exist for me. I sometimes refresh with a quick settle only 10 minutes after the last harvest and I'll have another plant.

Thank you, so i guess i better keep making my sky bridge, thanks a lot.

My dirt bridge at 990 ft is capable of growing strange plants. It appears that on large worlds the limit may be in fact 1000 ft for growing dye and strange plants.

I have looked for hours now. Here are the things I've tried.

I have looked across the surface of 6+ different worlds. Half of those were on expert.
I have set multiple skyways. Some had grass. Some were plain dirt. I have tried at space level and at points in between.
I've tried in Crimson worlds and Corruption worlds.
I've tried mowing down existing plants and leaving areas unattended for in-game days at a time.
I've tried worlds made in 2014 and worlds made this week.
I've tried multiple single player worlds and multiple online worlds.

ZERO strange plants.

My dirt bridge at 990 ft is capable of growing strange plants. It appears that on large worlds the limit may be in fact 1000 ft for growing dye and strange plants.

What do you mean? Large worlds need more space? (So instad of 700ft, 1000ft?)

Also, i started doing the same on another large world, i can go as high as 1020fts, and there are only 5 parts of the world that can get to ~350ft so it should be better.

What do you mean? Large worlds need more space? (So instad of 700ft, 1000ft?)

Also, i started doing the same on another large world, i can go as high as 1020fts, and there are only 5 parts of the world that can get to ~350ft so it should be better.
Dye plants grow on my bridge with an elevation of 990', but not on my bridge with elevation 1100'. The limit must be somewhere between those numbers, and 1000 seems probable, however I cannot say for sure.

I got tired of trying stuff to spawn those things (in small world), and I'm not going to waste more time in a large world, so if I find one cool if not, screw it

Back
Top Bottom