On Strange Plants...

I decided to use my old showcase world for this. It's mostly mined out, which theoretically leaves almost nowhere for dye plants to crop up. But it's a small world, and those have been rather iffy.

Found one, finally.

They CAN spawn in space.

RTEnX9t.png

Edit: found a second as well, 346 surface. This supports the notion that they simply require a lot of distance between themselves and any other dye-related plants. The problem, I think, is that because of this mechanic they're being drowned out by dye plants, which are more plentiful. That's the reason why people are finding them as soon as they create the world/in sky islands. In the first instance, they haven't been crowded out by dye plants yet. In the second, dye plants are simply much less likely to crowd them out.

Edit 2: Finding them regularly now. It's the dye plants, as others have suspected. Nuke everything until your dirt bridges are several hundred blocks away from any possible dye plants. I did 350-400 (700-800 feet on the GPS), but less might have been needed.

Last edited:
Wait, you mean you got a duplicate? That shouldn't happen until you get all of them. (I'm not saying it's a glitch; I'm saying I don't think it should happen.)

I think it's random; but yeah I got a duplicate; I think it was due to me spamming the turn in button because I'm an impatient foo'.

I wouldn't trust the wiki 100% yet so close to release, especially on the matter of these plants, but yeah it would probably help...

Yoraiz0r posted on his profile (in reply to a question) that the Strange Plants do not grow withint 700ft (350 blocks) or any other dye related plant.

So far I have found 5 Strange Plants in my Normal World ( Large ), on which I logged to farm them.
I made a large skybridge of dirt and used Dynamite to clear out the forest below me, just to make sure there wouldn't grow any more Dye Plants.

Though, I found all 5 Plants BEFORE I cleared out the forest below the bridge. All of the Strange Plants where found on the dirt bridge. It also didn't take a long time for me to find all of these. Maybe around 45 minutes - 1h.

I hosted my world online, so I can just tab-out while the ingame-time goes on. ( To prevent gamepauses, just in case the Plants have a respawn timer on them. )

The problem is 350 blocks is somewhat huge. An entire small world is only ~1200 all the way across (or 700/2400 feet if you're using a GPS)

Yeah, seems like i wont get any untill i strip the surface down to atleast level 0. Which i wont do untill i get the mining mount 'cause with a hellstone pickaxe id be looking at hours upon hours of monotone mining.

So yeah, bye. Relogic scale that distance thing as per world size please. 80-95 blocks for small worlds?

Yeah, seems like i wont get any untill i strip the surface down to atleast level 0. Which i wont do untill i get the mining mount 'cause with a hellstone pickaxe id be looking at hours upon hours of monotone mining.

So yeah, bye. Relogic scale that distance thing as per world size please. 80-95 blocks for small worlds?

Dynamite it is!

I have a feeling they might tweak how these things spawn. But if you want absolute destructive efficiency, get a Snowman Cannon and rocket IV's. Outstrips the mining mount easily. I'd also suggest simply using a big world and making your sky bridge waaay up in the stratosphere, but who wants to make a new world just to AFK?

Looks like we were almost exactly correct. That, or the information came from him in the first place. But yeah, cat's officially out of the bag I guess.

Oh, iirc a guy several pages back said they only spawn once every in-game week, but once you get a working dirt bridge or two, it doesn't take long for them to respawn. I do it once per in-game day... or so; haven't timed it or anything. Perhaps I should.

Last edited:
I thought I would contribute to this forum and hopefully this information will be helpful to someone. I've made a 4000 long dirt block bridge at about 768 feet in the sky. I'm on an Expertmode world, though I don't think it makes a difference. I put my world on multiplayer so it would constantly run in the background and I would hopefully have a better chance of them spawning, even when sleeping irl. I've awoken the past two days disappointed that only blink-root had grown on my super long bridge. But I remember something that happened yesterday. I saved and exited my multiplayer world and I re-loaded it, doing this I had 4 strange plants appear on my bridge. This happened the day before also in which I re-loaded and had 1 appear on my bridge, that one was half as long as this bridge though.

I would also like to add that I've tried clearing as many dye plants as I can on the surface world and I've started the process of placing wood on the surface to cover most areas that allow growth. I'm only about 1/8th done however, so a long way to go and unsure if this is even helpful lol.

Not sure how I could get my world to constantly run in the background in single-player, if so it might make a difference in whether a re-load is needed for them to appear. But so far, in my personal experience on multiplayer I've had to re-load my multiplayer world and they've appeared immediately.

Edit: Restarted again after about an hour and clearing dye plants again and had 2 more strange plants spawn.
Edit 2: Another re-load after about 30 minutes and more clearing and I found 2 more. I've made sure to find all sky islands and clear them of dirt and dye also.
Edit 3: I turned in all my plants. I had about 15. More then half the dyes I got was reflective gold and reflective silver...The rest were Purple Ooze dye, reflective copper, and acid dye.

Attachments

• p112tXd.png
    p112tXd.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 231
  • bfAJV64.png
    bfAJV64.png
    341.4 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Can anyone verify that there is a height limit to normal dye plant growth? I made a bridge at level 1100 and no dye plants grow on it, or strange plants.
It would be useful to know the maximum height.
Edit: After what has felt like days, one finally grew on my bridge at level 792'. It did appear after I rejoined the server I am hosting the world on, but I can't verify that it was hidden before. Perhaps an issue similar to the previous issues with chlorophyte exists here?
Edit: And now another on my bridge at level 962' ! Perhaps the limit is close to 1000?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom