On Strange Plants...

There's being rare and then there's "let :red: over any player that dosn't want to make a giant scar of dirt in their world to get cool vanity items. That'll teach then to play their own way."

Well i got one by luck, placed a few dirt blocks on the snow biome for something, came back and there was one :)

Well i got one by luck, placed a few dirt blocks on the snow biome for something, came back and there was one :)
Speaking of then, which dyes did you get? The only plants i found where found on a early spawned world i made. I got reflective black, negative and acid red.

No mess really. It's damn near empty, dude.

Make sure you have some means of infinite flight or you might end up in lava... By which I mean the underworld. I, uh, Murica'd that as well. Edit: one of the chests near the fishing chest is full of mounts, grab the mining laser or something if you don't have such a mount.

I have every dye, so if you're curious check them out; the chests are clearly indicated.

Attachments

• Master_World.zip
    1,020.7 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
There's being rare and then there's "let :red: over any player that dosn't want to make a giant scar of dirt in their world to get cool vanity items. That'll teach then to play their own way."

I've gotten two on a Small world I started the other night. I've done no more than collect all dye plants I see.
If you want to talk annoying though, the Dye Trader should let you pick your reward. The randomness is really annoying.

Speaking of then, which dyes did you get? The only plants i found where found on a early spawned world i made. I got reflective black, negative and acid red.

Negative, doesnt look that good so i have to put it on the hook, minecart, and light source slots.

Unfortunate, that's one of the ones you can get from him any old time. He sells that and shadow dye during full moons, iirc.

A bit of relevant info for folks using TerraMap to hunt for these little jerks! The entries "Strange Plant1" through "Strange Plant4" that come up when you search are not actually the Strange Plant tiles! I planted one I had to test:

tl66oXA.png

Those seem to refer specifically to the items that you get when you pluck the Plants, so if you search for those things, TerraMap will only highlight chests that have Strange Plants in them! TerraMap unhelpfully refers to the actual tiles as "Dye Flowers" which does not seem to also include the normal dye flowers (Marigold, etc). The "Strange Plant#" search came up with four tiles (the chest I had them in), but when I switched to "Dye Flowers" I got six specks in random caves.

Unfortunate, that's one of the ones you can get from him any old time. He sells that and shadow dye during full moons, iirc.

I was wondering why everyone keep saying that (he selling shadow dye), thanks. Also, is it hardmode or prehardmode.?

A bit of relevant info for folks using TerraMap to hunt for these little jerks! The entries "Strange Plant1" through "Strange Plant4" that come up when you search are not actually the Strange Plant tiles! I planted one I had to test:

tl66oXA.png

Those seem to refer specifically to the items that you get when you pluck the Plants, so if you search for those things, TerraMap will only highlight chests that have Strange Plants in them! TerraMap unhelpfully refers to the actual tiles as "Dye Flowers" which does not seem to also include the normal dye flowers (Marigold, etc). The "Strange Plant#" search came up with four tiles (the chest I had them in), but when I switched to "Dye Flowers" I got six specks in random caves.
Nice, i found out i have 3 of then growing up below ground, and that my brige is now working

Awesome, thanks, gonna focus on that later...

Anyway, so back on topic, they grow in caves too. Right?
Yes, check the above comment by Kaiser.

Well, I did a large world and put a 5000 tile long dirt (no grass) bridge at 980ish feet. After putting all that in place, my first trip across I saw my first strange plant...and then THREE more! However, my subsequent trips only yielded 1-2. The last two trips had none. What gives?

Edit: Well, it appears I may have just been getting a little antsy in the pantsy. After going AFK for about 15-30 minutes I got a few more plants. All is right in the world.

Last edited:
If the ground is less than 350 blocks away from the bridge, surface dye plants may be choking out any SP's that might otherwise grow.

finally I could make them spawn, first I build a skybridge (around 600ft) in a small world, as it was too tedious to mine the entire world until 0, I decided to turn the world into corruption/crimson and the jungle into mushroom biome only leaving snow biome (dye plants doesn't grow on those grass), it didn't work, yesterday I did the same in a MEDIUM world with a skybridge at 710 ft, turned all into corruption and jungle into mushroom biome, now everytime I check they spawn.

I hope it helps someone as turning the world with the clentaminator is faster than digging everything...

Made a large world and found optimal world gen for this (where the surface is too far down to effect spawning on a skybridge).
9F4B48119C149079044FD9577213D08A26801586

Back
Top Bottom