Casual Pet Peeves

-Politicians
-People who try to force their beliefs down your throat
-Idiots
-Veganism (not vegans - but the idea of veganism slightly peeves me off for some reason. That's my opinion, everyone is entitled to their own - if you have a disagreement with me, PM me)
-People who get mad about tiny things like me saying I get peeved at veganism

-People who say that they hate humans/humanity. No doubt humanity is :red:ed up, but to hate humanity is a little extreme; and they say that they hate all people: except themselves of course, because they're just above the rest of humanity in their self-righteous, smartass, pseudo-intellectual attitude.

i am like that but i know im not perfect also and i can fall prey to stupidity at times

- People who will disapprove of you for eating living beings while they merrily gnaw on a tomato.
- Elitist online players who feel they're superior because they pay for shortcuts and "free to play" players are inferior. Pfffft!
- Any developer using "retro" as an excuse to release :red:ty remakes of 80's games instead of trying to actually push the limits, to evolve gaming instead of devolving it.
- Series about "normals" set in a superhero world. Really, why should I care what this random normal guy who's not Batman, the Joker or any other Certified Hero/Villain doing in Gotham? What a waste of money and production time.

People who say things like "Why do so many indie games go with retro graphics? I'm getting tired of seeing it it's so overdone now".

And to a lesser extent, people who respond "because it's cheaper" or "because it's easier".

No, no and NO.

The reason, the REAL reason, my friends, is not time constraints or budget restrictions.

The real reason... is love.

Game developers will ALWAYS. ALWAYS make EXACTLY what they want. They will not "dumb down" their graphics because of time or money. If they want 3D, they will get 3D. If they CAN'T DO 3D, they will hire someone who can. It's so closed minded to think that people only do retro graphics because they can't do modern stuff for some awkward reason. I cannot name one game off the top of my head that was "originally intended" to be in AAA modern-style graphics and had to be 'dumbed down' to retro graphics for any reason. And I'm willing to bet a small fortune neither can any of you.

The reason there are so many retro-graphic-style games on the indie market is because indie game developers WANT them. A vast majority have loving nostalgia of their childhood days staying up all night playing Earthbound or Super Metroid or Yoshi's Island. They want to bring that love to a new generation.

BUT PEOPLE LIKE YOOUUUUU... Mr. why-all-these-retro-graphics-i've-had-enough... People like YOOUUUU don't DESERVE them! PEOPLE LIKE YOOUUUU DESERVE A KNIFE IN THE BACK.

... metaphorically speaking... ahem...

Some people like me want gaming to get out of the eighties - because we were there and already saw it. Dampening game evolution for the sake of those too lazy to find ways to play old games will not help gaming. Imagine if airplane makers went back to cloth and propeller airplanes because of "love"? That wouldn't be fun at all. Or help aircraft engineering evolve.

Emulation can already bring the real thing back - no need for watered down imitation.

While definitely not the only reason, the absolute ease with which a 2D game can be programmed these days does have some influence on why some developers use "retro" graphics. Not every indy dev can afford to just hire someone to do all the 3D work. Love or nostalgia is certainly a part of it, but the lack of complexity added by 3D coding, not to mention the ocean of difference in difficulty between 2D vs 3D art, is most certainly a part of it as well.

While definitely not the only reason, the absolute ease with which a 2D game can be programmed these days does have some influence on why some developers use "retro" graphics. Not every indy dev can afford to just hire someone to do all the 3D work. Love or nostalgia is certainly a part of it, but the lack of complexity added by 3D coding, not to mention the ocean of difference in difficulty between 2D vs 3D art, is most certainly a part of it as well.
Also, many 2D games just wouldn't work if they were made 3D.

There can be some quite stunning art done in 2D... But most of what's out there is "let's make everything blocky and with 26x26 pixels because NOSTALGIAAAAAA!" It irks me that they're not even trying with 2D. I'm not a fan of 3D - it can make things look nicer, but not always, and one too many games would have benefited from having one less dimension in graphics and one more dimension in characterization and gameplay (as in, characters and gameplay were one-dimensional.) It's not 2D what I don't like, but the way in which some developers think 2D paired with "nostalgia" is a way to get away with not bothering at all.

Half-assedness is half-assedness.

There isn't anything off the top of my head except for my mouse.
I don't know why, I don't know how, but for some reason I haven't had a perfectly good working mouse that lasted more than 4 months.
I'm talking computer mouses that is. But from my memory, one's scroll wheel didn't work, and my current one is a mess when I click. it either double triple clicks in a single click, or doesn't click at all, and I need to hold hard on it to drag something.
It sounds simple, but good god it is actually a nightmare. Imagine having to press on anything multiple times randomly for it to work.

There isn't anything off the top of my head except for my mouse.
I don't know why, I don't know how, but for some reason I haven't had a perfectly good working mouse that lasted more than 4 months.

Hear, hear. Some computer hardware tends to go that way with time.

I remember back when diskettes were a thing. And Nashua and TDK were the two BADASS brands of diskettes. But the hard disks got better and better, and there came a time when even Nashua and TDK's diskettes were low-quality cardboard cutouts only useable a couple times before they went useless.

With mice, I think since trackballs and tablets are more and more "a thing" when it comes to movement through a PC screen, then mouse makers may be going the way diskette makers went - instead of trying to improve and keep up, they simply go "GG WP" and shoot themselves in the face by making low quality, short-lived trash.

Oh, of course there's some 200 dollars Grade A mouses out there. But that's a whole different kind of "shoot yourself in the face" - who the heck would pay as much for a mouse as they could pay for a 2TB hard disk drive? Tony Stark? >_> Oh wait, the guy probably makes his own, sentient, automated mouses.

• I have zero tolerance for stupid and uneducated opinions. If you didn't even bother to check any part of the subject, I don't care what you think.
  • I hate the willfully stupid. I can't stand them at all, and dealt with them all through school. Let's see if your wannabe gangster attitude gets you a job.
  • Privileged trust fund babies who act like they're being oppressed, I'm starting to see that show up everywhere online. I live in a family actually hurting for money, :red:s.
  • The people who can't use their inside voices and end up having the whole neighborhood hear their stupid melodrama arguments, I am surrounded by that.
  • Being told that I'll go to hell for not believing your fairy tales, it happened so much that I'm just not going to be polite if someone pushes it anymore.
  • Also dealt with a lot of people calling me a bad person before I find out they do things just as bad, you're no shining pillar of humanity.
  • People who decide to burst into a conversation because of one part they heard, I have had enough of that.
  • The people who kept telling me my childhood/high school was going to be the best years of my life. Hell no, it sucked :red: and I really prefer being an adult and not being ordered around by anyone just because they're older. A lot of people who tried to tell me what to do when I was younger definitely weren't saints.

Actually 2D art can be more difficult than 3D (depends). You can make a 3D model and for the animations you just move the pieces around. For 2D animation you have to redraw every frame multiple times for every little action. I know I am no expert but 2D animation is a PAIN! 21 or so frames.. for one second? Yeeeah, that's a ton of work.

I wish you people would've quoted me so I'da known this conversation was going on... lol

Anyway...
Some people like me want gaming to get out of the eighties - because we were there and already saw it.
Who said it's still IN the 80's?

This is what I find so silly about such comments. AAA 3-D style games are still the overwhelming majority. It's mind-boggling to think that someone out there thinks there's enough of these 2-D games to even remotely constitute a "threat" against them. Granted the indie scene has lots of 2D stuff (but plenty of 3D stuff) and if you ask me that just makes up for the lack of it in big-name gaming, especially on consoles.
I did say "It's so closed minded to think that people only do retro graphics because they can't do modern stuff for some awkward reason.", so I recognize that sometimes 2D graphics become utilized where there is a budget concern. However, I wanted to make it clear that (at least I believe) WANTING to do the game in 2D graphics in the first place is often the primary reason. There are lots of people who understand that 3D realistic graphics isn't always better. And a lot of those people are indie developers.

Hey, that brings me another one I forgot about!
  • The 'Murder Simulator' crap. It's years old and I'm tired of hearing it. If it were in any way true I'd be knee deep in bodies by now.

Back
Top Bottom