Casual Pet Peeves

When people say getting famous on youtube is easy
[doublepost=1471415693,1471415460][/doublepost]
My own :red:ing brain.
Let me elaborate, the human brain is an incredibly complex system of neurons, with different segments that carry out different processes. Your brain (assuming the people reading this aren't robots) is SUPPOSED to work near-flawlessly in order to keep your body moving. My brain is a different story.

Let's say i'm playing Zelda or something, and I need to remember which switches are supposed to be on and which ones need to be off. This is where my CLUSTER:redmunch: OF A BRAIN DECIDES "HEY, LET'S TOSS THESE SHORT-TERM MEMORIES! HE DOESN'T NEED THEM!" And then I have to pull up a guide or spend another 10 minutes trying to figure out what to do again. My brain also makes me feel pain whenever I have to do something I don't like "Oh, let's just make his muscles feel like they are cramped up whenever we don't get our way".
That kind of cluster:redspin:ing is the reason I can NEVER get things done, not even in real life.
But you are your brain

When people try to "bum cigarettes" off of me. Let me paint you a picture. I'm walking home, past midnight, nobody in sight, on an empty road. Someone pulls up next to me, kinda creepy. They roll down the window...only to ask me if I got a cigarette.

Excuse me? Do they not understand how weird of a situation this is? First off, I'm not even remotely doing anything that looks like smoking, so this is how the situation plays out from their perspective: "Wow, I really need a cigarette this exact second, and I can't make it to the gas station 2 minutes up the road. Oh, here's this random person walking on the side of the road that I've never seen before in my life. She's not smoking or anything, but I better drive real close-like, just so I can ask her on the off-chance that she's willing to give me a cigarette."

I understand the addictive properties, don't get me wrong, but at what point does it become socially acceptable to just go asking random strangers for cigarettes? I've never had anyone come up to me asking for cash, food, alcohol, hitchhike, carry their groceries, or do anything. It's cigarettes and literally only cigarettes, that elicits strangers to invade my personal space and ask me to give them something. Is this part of the code of conduct that people have to swear on when they start smoking, or something? I can totally understand if it was a group of people smoking, and you really have the craving...but when you cross the street in a rather aggressive fashion, creep up next to me on the side of the road after midnight, or even follow me, walking faster until you catch up...just to ask for a cigarette, I think something's seriously not right with the picture.

The fact that this happens extremely often only increases my disdain for it. You're not even going to strike up a conversation, first? Not even going to acknowledge my presence? Make any sort of small talk, or even say "Hey, what's up?" You're just going to come at me like a shark who smells blood in the water, just because you see me as a potential source of nicotine, drop a "ey, you got a cigarette I can have?" and then promptly leave the second I say no, without a word? Even if I did have a cigarette, I wouldn't give it to you on the sheer principle of you acting like a douche about it. Again, I understand the addiction, but if you're that addicted that you would ask a completely random stranger, out of desperation, for one quick fix...and then be rude when they don't even smoke, you should probably make sure you have a steady enough supply to feed your addiction.

Also, yes, I did say "rude when they don't even smoke." I've had people approach me in a rather unbecoming fashion, ask for a cigarette, and then get angry or annoyed at me when I say I don't smoke. Oh, I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I don't have the same addiction you do, so that I'm unable to feed your addiction with my own addiction because you're not good enough at feeding your addiction and have to ask complete strangers to feed it for you. Or they accuse me of lying so I can keep all the sweet, delicious nicotine for myself, apparently.

I'm not shaming anyone for any addictions they might not be able to kick so easy, either. I understand that wholly. I understand and respect the power of the addiction and the struggles associated with kicking them. What I don't understand is being aggressive and rude to people who refuse to feed your addiction for you. As well as the whole "culture" of "bumming cigarettes." I've never found it socially acceptable, and it baffles me even to this day, that it's one of the few things that causes people to do such belittling things. "I've never seen you before, but give me something." That's what it is. No conversation, no anything. Just "Can I have this from you and then never speak to you again."

I wouldn't be annoyed if they were friendly about it. Maybe it's just my town, I don't know. I will say that I've seen homeless people on the sidewalk of my workplace, politely asking for food cause they're hungry. And in the same day, I've seen someone picking through the ashtray for a smokable butt of a cigarette to get their quick fix. That's not a peeve of mine, since it's their choice and at least they're willing to get it without begging for it, as...humiliating as I imagine it is. Just the whole concept of cigarettes being bummed confuses and irks me when I'm asked for one and get rudeness in return, like I'm the one inconveniencing them in this situation.

On behalf of all smokers with a shred of societal propriety, let me apologize to you for those of us who display such unbecoming behavior, it is rude, as you said, and completely uncalled for.

The standard etiquette, as I understand it from my twenty plus years of smoking, is that you only ask to bum a smoke off of another smoker and even then only when they are smoking or have given some clear sign that they are indeed a smoker. Once bummed it is still rude to walk away and it is somewhat expected that you will spend at least a few drags worth of time being very grateful and offering thanks to the person giving you something for free and if the request is denied you still thank them anyway and never get pissy about it. Since the late 90s it has even become common, at least for us poorer folks in my area, to require some exchange for the smoke such as a quarter or two, as times are tough for all of us. What the people bothering you are doing violates every standard of smoker etiquette that I have ever known. For being so rude, I and the other smokers I know would light up in front of them while telling them, "Sorry, I don't smoke" (the greatest ':red: you' that one smoker can give another smoker that is out of smokes).

Again, I offer you all the apologizes from the polite smokers out there.

When people try to "bum cigarettes" off of me. Let me paint you a picture. I'm walking home, past midnight, nobody in sight, on an empty road. Someone pulls up next to me, kinda creepy. They roll down the window...only to ask me if I got a cigarette.

Excuse me? Do they not understand how weird of a situation this is? First off, I'm not even remotely doing anything that looks like smoking, so this is how the situation plays out from their perspective: "Wow, I really need a cigarette this exact second, and I can't make it to the gas station 2 minutes up the road. Oh, here's this random person walking on the side of the road that I've never seen before in my life. She's not smoking or anything, but I better drive real close-like, just so I can ask her on the off-chance that she's willing to give me a cigarette."

I understand the addictive properties, don't get me wrong, but at what point does it become socially acceptable to just go asking random strangers for cigarettes? I've never had anyone come up to me asking for cash, food, alcohol, hitchhike, carry their groceries, or do anything. It's cigarettes and literally only cigarettes, that elicits strangers to invade my personal space and ask me to give them something. Is this part of the code of conduct that people have to swear on when they start smoking, or something? I can totally understand if it was a group of people smoking, and you really have the craving...but when you cross the street in a rather aggressive fashion, creep up next to me on the side of the road after midnight, or even follow me, walking faster until you catch up...just to ask for a cigarette, I think something's seriously not right with the picture.

The fact that this happens extremely often only increases my disdain for it. You're not even going to strike up a conversation, first? Not even going to acknowledge my presence? Make any sort of small talk, or even say "Hey, what's up?" You're just going to come at me like a shark who smells blood in the water, just because you see me as a potential source of nicotine, drop a "ey, you got a cigarette I can have?" and then promptly leave the second I say no, without a word? Even if I did have a cigarette, I wouldn't give it to you on the sheer principle of you acting like a douche about it. Again, I understand the addiction, but if you're that addicted that you would ask a completely random stranger, out of desperation, for one quick fix...and then be rude when they don't even smoke, you should probably make sure you have a steady enough supply to feed your addiction.

Also, yes, I did say "rude when they don't even smoke." I've had people approach me in a rather unbecoming fashion, ask for a cigarette, and then get angry or annoyed at me when I say I don't smoke. Oh, I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I don't have the same addiction you do, so that I'm unable to feed your addiction with my own addiction because you're not good enough at feeding your addiction and have to ask complete strangers to feed it for you. Or they accuse me of lying so I can keep all the sweet, delicious nicotine for myself, apparently.

I'm not shaming anyone for any addictions they might not be able to kick so easy, either. I understand that wholly. I understand and respect the power of the addiction and the struggles associated with kicking them. What I don't understand is being aggressive and rude to people who refuse to feed your addiction for you. As well as the whole "culture" of "bumming cigarettes." I've never found it socially acceptable, and it baffles me even to this day, that it's one of the few things that causes people to do such belittling things. "I've never seen you before, but give me something." That's what it is. No conversation, no anything. Just "Can I have this from you and then never speak to you again."

I wouldn't be annoyed if they were friendly about it. Maybe it's just my town, I don't know. I will say that I've seen homeless people on the sidewalk of my workplace, politely asking for food cause they're hungry. And in the same day, I've seen someone picking through the ashtray for a smokable butt of a cigarette to get their quick fix. That's not a peeve of mine, since it's their choice and at least they're willing to get it without begging for it, as...humiliating as I imagine it is. Just the whole concept of cigarettes being bummed confuses and irks me when I'm asked for one and get rudeness in return, like I'm the one inconveniencing them in this situation.

not only that but i have people come up to me and ask if i can sell/give them weed all the time i guess i look like a drug dealer?

This... one of these two things happen to me almost every time I leave my home for a 30+ minute walk. It's annoying, and I have never smoked in my life. But apparently every friggin smoker/drug user in the city seems to think I'll have ciggarettes or drugs for them. Yeesh.

When people start a running gag to annoy me at school, I didn't respond the 1st time, don't try again or I will make you shut up.

When people revive dead threads (especially suggestions) but only say simple things like 'Yes' or 'No' or just add a random off topic comment. Well, you bring exactly nothing new to the table and also get a thread that's dead for a year back at the front page.
My "favorite" is when somebody posts in an ancient suggestion thread to bash it for suggesting something that's in the game now, but not when the thread was made.

i hate how almost all art of the dryad is NSFW. i know it's that way in the game itself, but in-game it's pixelated, so you don't really notice it. actually, all NSFW stuff bothers me, but that especially.

i hate how almost all art of the dryad is NSFW. i know it's that way in the game itself, but in-game it's pixelated, so you don't really notice it. actually, all NSFW stuff bothers me, but that especially.
It's an interesting issue, because the pixel art leaves alot of room for interpretation. Some people take it as a green bikini, others see it as just vines. I don't know what you consider NSFW, but I think the best compromise I've seen are the ones that keep the vine appearance, but add large leaves in the necessary places.

It's an interesting issue, because the pixel art leaves alot of room for interpretation. Some people take it as a green bikini, others see it as just vines. I don't know what you consider NSFW, but I think the best compromise I've seen are the ones that keep the vine appearance, but add large leaves in the necessary places.
in-game i see the sprite as just vines, but i think drawings should be done more conservatively, especially since there's people of all ages on TCF.

[MOBAs] "You're not doing what I want, I will feed/afk and ruin your fun because you ruined my fun"

... people with this mentality should only play single player games.
I can't stand the MOBA community, everyone thinks there is only 1 strategy and if you don't follow that strategy you are a noob who they need to scream at for the rest of the match.

And people constantly scream at you for being a noob even in non-ranked games, I can understand getting mad at someone because they aren't very good and are causing you to lose and go down in rating, but when you are playing non-ranked matches you should expect to see people that are still learning the game and will suck. And so what if you lose? It's not a ranked match! The only thing winning does is make you feel good, and get a little more XP/money but not that much more.

Back
Top Bottom