Please add the option to turn off Biome Spreading

I seem to recall one interview with redigit talked about the possibility of adding a "creative mode". This would certainly make sense as part of that.

The biome spread is in part to make the game more difficult - it's one of the indictators that Hardmode is not for the faint of heart. If you dislike the spread then merely build on a pre-HM world, if you need HM resources utilize another world to obtain them.

biome spreading is there for a good reason, it's part of the design logic of Terraria, and it gets people off their asses and gives them a better reason to purify their entire world

Except actually purifying your world is a ridiculous monumental task that involves hundreds of platinum and hours of work, and if you leave but a few blocks... all of what you did ends up becoming undone quickly.

Reactions: Nev
The biome spread is in part to make the game more difficult - it's one of the indictators that Hardmode is not for the faint of heart. If you dislike the spread then merely build on a pre-HM world, if you need HM resources utilize another world to obtain them.

Except it doesn't make it more difficult but more tedious. And what OP is suggesting is an option to turn it off, use it or don't it's up to you. God...

I just use TEdit and add glass around biomes i dont want to spread.. i hate corruption, especially in jungles

The only issue I have with the spreading is that it destroys the surface jungle. I do wall it off pre-hardmode, but sometimes the crimruption just suddenly surfaces right in the middle, like in my current playthrough.

Make it so that it doesn't convert mud to dirt and I'm happy.

Or they can remove this pointless and unnecessary feature and save us the trouble...
Corruption spread over grass when Terraria was released; It's pretty much inseparable from the identity of the biome, and Terraria. You fight back the contamination, that's a basic part of the game. Moon events, weird wire mechanisms, banner collections - they're not. And battling through them to ante up your equipment is only one fraction of the Terraria experience. Exploration, mining, crafting, and building are not just sidequest minigame chores that you do to pad out game time in between boss fights, they're as much of if not more of Terraria as that. The ability to alter your environment indiscriminately, that's one of the most amazing parts. Biomes can be contained, reverted, extracted, or spread in a controlled state. If a person isn't partial to playing with that ability I don't see why Terraria would draw them.

I think the problem is people spending too much time on the surface making farms and not enough in the caves messing around and accruing resources naturally. It's really nice down there, you should check it out. Get to know your cavern level, it's like 70% of your map.

Corruption spread over grass when Terraria was released; It's pretty much inseparable from the identity of the biome, and Terraria. You fight back the contamination, that's a basic part of the game. Moon events, weird wire mechanisms, banner collections - they're not. And battling through them to ante up your equipment is only one fraction of the Terraria experience. Exploration, mining, crafting, and building are not just sidequest minigame chores that you do to pad out game time in between boss fights, they're as much of if not more of Terraria as that. The ability to alter your environment indiscriminately, that's one of the most amazing parts. Biomes can be contained, reverted, extracted, or spread in a controlled state. If a person isn't partial to playing with that ability I don't see why Terraria would draw them.

And I ask you again. Where. Is. That. Written?

I think the problem is people spending too much time on the surface making farms and not enough in the caves messing around and accruing resources naturally. It's really nice down there, you should check it out. Get to know your cavern level, it's like 70% of your map.

The problem is too many fanboys telling everyone how to play the damn game...

And I ask you again. Where. Is. That. Written?

I played it. When Molten was the highest armor there was, and Skeletron the final boss.

It wasn't the point of the game, but it was integral, anyone who played the game for a while knew corruption would spread up to your house if you didn't get to it promptly in a new world, and cut it off. When we got too good at that, Red added Hardmode with underground corruption, and hallow. And better combat, since we were good at that too. Apparently everyone including him thought that the spreading bit was a fundamental antagonistic force in the game, and so we have this now. You know it's way adjusted from then, it used to be pretty chaotic.

The problem is too many fanboys telling everyone how to play the damn game...

Well I figured if you're having trouble with one of the basic cornerstone challenges of the game you could use a couple pointers. Remember the bit I said about the map - if you know a handy way to send light through stone you can fill most of it in and keep an eye out for nodes. Some use the clentaminator, but it's not very bright, and I recommend using the flare gun to set enemies on fire instead, the particles drop through the floor.

Well I figured if you're having trouble with one of the basic cornerstone challenges of the game you could use a couple pointers.

Yeah you defaulted to the typical "haha too difficult for you" argument. I got that part. What I don't get is which part of dealing with biome spread is supposed to be challenging? Challenging is when you do something because it puts your skills to the test. Tedious is when you do something because it's a chore.

I'll let you guess which of these (challenging or tedious) describes spraying green crap all over the map for an hour.

(and I am by no means implying that it only takes an hour to cleanse the map of corruption, that's just as far as I got before my head slammed against the keyboard and I feel asleep in boredom)

I've never had an issue with biome spreading. It's never bothered me in any meaningful way. I've fully cleansed at least 3 different worlds despite spread not really bothering me, just to say I did it. Yes, cleaning it up was tedious, and yes it could be made a lot less tedious. But the actual spreading biomes themselves have never A) ruined my base, B) ruined my gameplay, or C) impeded progress of any sort.

But I don't think an option to disable it would be a great idea. Maybe better, easier, and more permanent methods of handling it, but not an option to disable it. Even with the clentaminator, it's a chore to clean. I'd want something fancier and better, ideally. Clentaminator likes to miss blocks, too, so there's that.

It's not so much about adeptness, the whole way combat takes muscle memory and fast reflexes and a precise hand. That's the combat side of skill. I mean skill as in knowing the technique to approach cleansing a bad contamination. An octopus could do it, if you could show it the methods and finesse of it. Where to cleanse, where to cut, how to sweep the clent, how to save solution. How to find contamination, what to do at the edge of the map. How to corner your tunnels. It's faster once you have the hang of it, I see people clear a square inch of map every ten minutes.

It's not so much about adeptness, the whole way combat takes muscle memory and fast reflexes and a precise hand. That's the combat side of skill. I mean skill as in knowing the technique to approach cleansing a bad contamination. An octopus could do it, if you could show it the methods and finesse of it. Where to cleanse, where to cut, how to sweep the clent, how to save solution. How to find contamination, what to do at the edge of the map. How to corner your tunnels. It's faster once you have the hang of it, I see people clear a square inch of map every ten minutes.

I'm confused. Are you pro or against biome spread? Because right now you're saying what I've been saying all along: that it's tedious as hell. But I could've sworn you were for it a while ago...

Get out of my head Charles.

I'm still in support of an altar that lets you control the growth rate of each biome (from "fairly fast" to "complete stop").
But I still say it should be an endgame thing, made with Luminite, Souls of Light, and Souls of Night.

All I'm still just suggesting is peaceful/easy world on side of normal world and expert world. People could choose their preference, I don't mind the corruption spread on normal worlds. I'd just like to have an OPTION, not mandatory update to disable the mechanic from all others.

Honestly, I'd support this. It would be nice if the game had a "Peaceful" difficulty world or something. No corruption/hallow spread, less enemy spawns (Meaning less drops), easier enemies, no automatic boss spawning and so on (Maybe even no automatic events near your base). Would be suited well for those worlds you want to build in and take it easy. That way there wouldn't be invasion/blood moon every two seconds if you just wish to build your dream base.

Using something like TEdit is kinda annoying (And could be considered cheating) and manually digging around corruption/hallow takes forever.

And don't give me reason "Don't go to hardmode" because there are so many items that are hardmode only it's nearly unfair.

Oh my gosh. A peaceful world mode to counter expert would be amazing. I'm all for the corruption/crimson spread, but it'd be amazing once in awhile to have a world that was easier. I think that in these "easier" worlds, there should be lower defense/damage on pretty much everything, no hallow/corruption, and bunnies are invulnerable.

The only issue I have with the spreading is that it destroys the surface jungle. I do wall it off pre-hardmode, but sometimes the crimruption just suddenly surfaces right in the middle, like in my current playthrough.

Make it so that it doesn't convert mud to dirt and I'm happy.

Agreed. This is the only part that bothers me, although luckily I have yet to have a jungle get infected right in the middle. Otherwise, the infection aspect of the gameplay post-hardmode doesn't bother me. I prefer to get to the point where I can afford the clentaminator and its ammo. At that point, I have decent enough armor and tools/mining potions for efficiently containing areas I want to build in. That being said, I have no opposition to having the option for a "peaceful mode" or the option of turning off the infection spreading. Hopefully the "creative mode" that the developers have been discussing will become a reality for those who prefer peaceful building.

I'm for biome spread. If you add a 'cheasy' mode, everyone will assume everyone used it all the time. We already call out TEdit users when we notice what they're doing, because taking shortcuts to get where you're going in Terraria destroys the point of the game. Any time you've seen a giant castle or extensive system of rails and teleporters, you know that person took some time to address biome spread in their own fashion, as with combat savants in their giant arenas with a copper sword.

Once you figure out good ways to contain the spread the chore becomes easy, you put the difficulty behind you. It's just another thing you have to work at till you master it, like each boss. And nobody ever proposed an option to make EoC or the Mechs stop spawning up everyone's rear - at least none that were taken seriously.

Also on the subject of converting the jungle, minor spoilers or something, in 1.3 Red tweaked the behaviour of Chlorophyte a little. It now counters that directly by turning dirt into mud around it. Slipping a block into converted jungle every few spaces will now turn it back, and then the Chlorophyte will start to grow in the recovered mud.

Back
Top Bottom