Portal Gun possibilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrasyn

Eye of Cthulhu
I began to wonder what potential the Portal Gun could achieve, and after some discussion with a friend, came up with interesting ideas that I never actually fully realized until now.

-Make a portal in front of you and behind you, with a lava pit in between. Throw the guide doll into lava, wait for Wall of Flesh to close in on you. Go through the Portal next to you, and wind up behind the Wall of Flesh. Suddenly, you are chasing it, and the threat of unavoidable death is suddenly...avoidable.
-Make a tunnel leading to the ocean and the underworld. Place portals on both ends, and let water drain into the underworld, turning the top layer into Obsidian (assuming this works).
-Have the Destroyer chase you through a portal, and watch it end up on the other side with you. Suddenly, just when you thought it couldn't get any longer, it is (assuming this works).

Then again, I don't know what the limits are to the Portal Gun, and if it's strictly functional to the character or everything in the game world.

I began to wonder what potential the Portal Gun could achieve, and after some discussion with a friend, came up with interesting ideas that I never actually fully realized until now.

-Make a portal in front of you and behind you, with a lava pit in between. Throw the guide doll into lava, wait for Wall of Flesh to close in on you. Go through the Portal next to you, and wind up behind the Wall of Flesh. Suddenly, you are chasing it, and the threat of unavoidable death is suddenly...avoidable.
-Make a tunnel leading to the ocean and the underworld. Place portals on both ends, and let water drain into the underworld, turning the top layer into Obsidian (assuming this works).
-Have the Destroyer chase you through a portal, and watch it end up on the other side with you. Suddenly, just when you thought it couldn't get any longer, it is (assuming this works).

Then again, I don't know what the limits are to the Portal Gun, and if it's strictly functional to the character or everything in the game world.
Due to limitations on the games engine (and completely :red:ing with some AI types), the portal gun will only work on players. It was unclear whether or not liquids would be possible. Also if you wind up behind the Wall you just get The Tongue debuff and he pulls you into his mouth.

I highly doubt it'd work with bosses, worms, or things that no-clip. But if it did, I would summon both the Destroyer and Eater of Worlds and get them in an infinite loop.

It'd work best with Destroyer as he doesn't split and is longer. Just watching him look like a train (in a sense, sound like one), would humorous.
If projectiles work with portals too, infinite stream of projectile if it is not subject to gravity. Then summon a boss and let loose the stream of hell. Rockets.. oh.. my god.. >.>;;

Due to limitations on the games engine (and completely :red:ing with some AI types), the portal gun will only work on players. It was unclear whether or not liquids would be possible. Also if you wind up behind the Wall you just get The Tongue debuff and he pulls you into his mouth.

Ah, well, it's the thought that counts!

Ah, well, it's the thought that counts!
Well, here's the full deal Yoraiz0r said about the issue
Tp8PoSa.gif

Does this satisfy your need for portal news? =P

Due to many reasons (some being the AI of enemies in the air not really being smart enough to understand and go out of this, chain projectiles drawing based on direct lines from the player and more of the bazzilion other contents not taking such things into account) the portals created via the portal gun only allow player-travel , for now!
So maybe it was changed, maybe there was some easy fix, but we shall see in 7 days, no?

I imagine the Teleporter arenas for bosses like the DG to become Portal arenas instead because no wire and no buying teleporters

If projectiles work with portals too, infinite stream of projectile if it is not subject to gravity. Then summon a boss and let loose the stream of hell. Rockets.. oh.. my god.. >.>;;

Oh my god indeed o3o Just spawn a portal on the roof and the wall then spend a minute firing some rockets, then you have a wall of rockets.

If it were ever to accept projectiles into it.. Imagine the endless stream of projectiles, as a boss approaches, flying right into the stream..

Sniper rounds would be max damage, but I just had a thought.
What about a shadow beam staff or one of the many other laser type weapons in game that keep going until they hit something? But in a endless portal loop like that they'l never hit anything (If you get the angle dead on at least)

We'll just have to wait and see, but I can't see any really good reason the portals shouldn't be able to work on anything teleport pads do. I guess there are some extra complications, like keeping momentum, but it's basically the same thing.

It might, but it might also not, perhaps it shoots a blue portal and then an orange one? Although that would be fairly inconvenient...

I hope to King Slime that it does work on right click... Which also makes me think: If it does work like that, I wonder if they'll make other items that also have secondary functions?

I wonder if you can place portals on diagonal slopes, for angled jumps. Probably not. Maybe they'll add it in a patch.

You can't do that, she'll pull you with "The Tongue", lol

You can't do that, she'll pull you with "The Tongue", lol

Also THE WALL IS A SHE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom