Resolved [PS4] GAME FREEZES ON PS4 (all posts will be combined into this thread)

@Abatroners Thanks for the feedback, we have spent some time ironing out a number of issues but we weren't able to track down all instances where the freezing occurs for players and we're continuing to investigate but knew this update would add some relieve to some big issues we'd seen from players.

Can you give us details on the state of your world?

1. What's the current progress in the world where you're seeing freezes? (pre/post hardmode, which progression bosses defeated, etc)
  2. What kind of mounts/pets do you use?
  3. Has the frequency changed? Are they more or less frequent?
  4. Does turning off water quality reduce/remove the freezing?
Thanks for any info you can provide!
1. I was in the middle of a goblin army invasion in pre-hardmode, when the game stop working. I have only defeated King Slime and Eye of Chtulhu. This is in a large-sized world.

2. I wasn’t using any mount when the game froze, but I previously used the slime mount.

3. I toke a pause from the game after this glitch appeared, so I do not know the frequency of the glitch.

4. I tested turning of wave quality, and it helped alot. The game did not freeze a single time when I played.

Last edited:
UPDATE JULY 6, 2023

DR studios have sent through a new patch today for PS4/PS5 that will hopefully lessen the freezing for some players. Please reply if the fix has worked for you, or if it hasn’t, and your game is still freezing, please help out by giving this info:

1. What's the current progress in the world where you're seeing freezes? (pre/post hardmode, which progression bosses defeated, etc)

ORIGINAL POST
All posts regarding the PS4 freezing issue will be contained in this one thread. The developers are aware of it and are looking into it.

Help the developers out by sharing as many details as possible, and also by sharing your zipped up game files.
Copy from PS4 console System Storage to USB
  1. Connect a USB storage device to the PS4 console.
  2. Go to Settings > Application Saved Data Management > Saved Data in System Storage > Copy to USB Storage Device.
  3. Select a game.
  4. Place ticks next to the data you wish to copy, or Select All, and select Copy
  5. On a PC, zip up the ”PS4" Folder that is saved on your USB device
  6. Upload that zipped up file here on the forums using the “Attach Files” button, OR upload the zipped files to a Google drive (or something similar) and provide a link for it.
This problem has occurred all throughout pre-hardmode. I have not used any mounts at all so far. The frequency thus far has not changed, but I have not yet tried adjusting the in game graphics.

UPDATE JULY 6, 2023

DR studios have sent through a new patch today for PS4/PS5 that will hopefully lessen the freezing for some players. Please reply if the fix has worked for you, or if it hasn’t, and your game is still freezing, please help out by giving this info:

ORIGINAL POST
All posts regarding the PS4 freezing issue will be contained in this one thread. The developers are aware of it and are looking into it.

Help the developers out by sharing as many details as possible, and also by sharing your zipped up game files.
  2. Go to Settings > Application Saved Data Management > Saved Data in System Storage > Copy to USB Storage Device.
  3. Select a game.
  4. Place ticks next to the data you wish to copy, or Select All, and select Copy
  6. Upload that zipped up file here on the forums using the “Attach Files” button, OR upload the zipped files to a Google drive (or something similar) and provide a link for it.
Not sure about anyone else, but I barely started a world on my ps4 and encountered two freezes within 15 minutes. It was going fine until i used a heart crystal. I've never had them that close to each other, so this is a bit new. I've played multi-player worlds where the game had frozen only once when I played (in post-hardmode). I'm currently in pre-hardmode with no bosses beat on a large crimson world. I also have a Spiffo Plush pet equipped. I've also noted that it's only frozen my game while in the snow biome and underground. Hope this helps. I'll post edits as I make changes in my settings to see if anything will change.

Edit:
Turning off waves quality seemed to help a lot. Haven't had a freeze in a while. That might help resolve a bit of the freezing issues for some users.

Last edited:
I play ps4 and music sometimes stutters and sometimes when that happens the game will just freeze. This usually doesn't happen as much during pre-HM but after it the freezes can happen decently often. The new patch seemingly hasn't done anything and I always play on normal sized corruption worlds. In my current world I use the Junimo pet and Queen Slime mount and the freezes have happened most often near my enemy farm and my NPC houses. Even turning off Blood and Gore in the settings hasn't changed much. I hope this feedback helps!

Edit: Turned off Waves Quality and so far it's working!

Hi, I just made an account here to say it still freezes all the time unfortunately!

I don’t know why we’ve put ourselves through this.. but me and a friend have played a LOT the last month despite this issue. The freezing has always been a consistent and extremely annoying problem. It’s froze for the host, froze for just the joining player, underground, above ground, mid-combat, while afk in menu, crimson worlds, corrupt worlds. We’ve experienced freezing in pretty much every scenario by now.

The worst part (I don’t know if this has been mentioned yet) is when the host freezes after a joining player deposits items in a chest.

The result seems to be the host, world and all the chests in it getting rolled back but the joining players inventory will be as it was. So everything you recently put into a chest will be gone for ever.

The opposite happens too if you take stuff out of chests before the host freezes, everything gets duped since it’s still in the chest and still in your inventory when you log back on.

The game almost never freezes during boss fights but when I made a mob farm it crashed like crazy when I was near it but only if was a near it for a while so it's either the amount of mobs,coins or mob drops

UPDATE JULY 6, 2023

ORIGINAL POST

3. Select a game.
I'm still having trouble with it Freezing making the game unplayable

I just wanted to play hoping it works but it still keeps freezing during the middle of gameplay

Not sure about anyone else, but I barely started a world on my ps4 and encountered two freezes within 15 minutes. It was going fine until i used a heart crystal. I've never had them that close to each other, so this is a bit new. I've played multi-player worlds where the game had frozen only once when I played (in post-hardmode). I'm currently in pre-hardmode with no bosses beat on a large crimson world. I also have a Spiffo Plush pet equipped. I've also noted that it's only frozen my game while in the snow biome and underground. Hope this helps. I'll post edits as I make changes in my settings to see if anything will change.

Edit:
Turning off waves quality seemed to help a lot. Haven't had a freeze in a while. That might help resolve a bit of the freezing issues for some users.
So I've been playing for a while, and haven't been fully frozen in game once, only frequent pauses every 10 minutes here and there. I've found that going through biomes (even underground to caverns), events starting (such as windy day or blood moon), and autosave have been the main cause of these pauses and probably the freezing. Not sure if this'll help but I'm hoping a patch comes out soon for this 🙏.

I am still having issues with freezing
Normal mode, no bosses fought yet
  1. What kind of mounts/pets do you use?
Turtle mount
  1. Has the frequency changed? Are they more or less frequent?
Still as frequently as before the patch, a couple times every hour
  1. Does turning off water quality reduce/remove the freezing?
No

Hoping a fix gets found soon especially since I have to reload the game every single time it freezes, loosing a fair amount of my
recent progress

July 13, 2023. PS4 user.

Created an account here just to confirm. It definitely crashes/freeze today. My copy is fully updated to latest patch 1.33. I lost my progress. Then around 5 to 10mins it will crash again.. Please devs fix this on PS4... 😔

It's unplayable 🥺

I just installed the game today after several months. I too am having the freezing issue. Brand new world, new character, lowered settings.... Tried everything, nothing helps to relieve the issue. I can play for 5-30 minutes before it freezes.

Still happening in July for me. I just started my first playthrough on PS4 and the rest of my playtime has been on PC.

I'm currently pre-hardmode in Journey mode. I just have skeletron and The WoF left to do. I spend a lot of my time making arenas so this is mostly affecting that. It happens when I'm busy doing something, whether digging, building, fighting, or even if I'm afk at my spawn point. And each time I lose about 15 minutes worth of progress, so I've had to redo at least 10 hours worth of work and it doesn't seem to be slowing down.

I am experiencing some freezing and have been for a little while. What usually happens is that terraria will run fine for a few hours but then it will start freezing a lot. I usually can’t go 3 minutes without freezing once they start coming, and every time I have to close application, which looses some of my progress. I also found a glitch where if you recently picked up an item that was placed, such as a bast statue, and your game freezes, it gets deleted! I had picked up a statue off of my arena and boom, I froze. Well I went back because the statue wasn’t in my inventory and it wasn’t on the arena either. Hopefully this gets patched soon because it makes playing quite difficult sometimes.

I am experiencing some freezing and have been for a little while. What usually happens is that terraria will run fine for a few hours but then it will start freezing a lot. I usually can’t go 3 minutes without freezing once they start coming, and every time I have to close application, which looses some of my progress. I also found a glitch where if you recently picked up an item that was placed, such as a bast statue, and your game freezes, it gets deleted! I had picked up a statue off of my arena and boom, I froze. Well I went back because the statue wasn’t in my inventory and it wasn’t on the arena either. Hopefully this gets patched soon because it makes playing quite difficult sometimes.
Have you tried turning the "waves quality" setting to low or even off? That worked for me for a while.

Have you tried turning the "waves quality" setting to low or even off? That worked for me for a while.
My “waves quality” was on high so I turned it to off and hopefully that will help it. Another issue that I’m wondering if anyone else is getting is if you lose connection to a multiplayer world but for the next 30 minutes it says “failed to create session.”

Back
Top Bottom