NPCs & Enemies Put your characters in worlds as NPCs.

This idea is already realized apart - in Nterraria mod there are citizens - each character that visited world and set spawn point will spawn at world spawn, and after death on his spawnpoint(they pathfinding like zombies, but really good fighting)

This is possible? That's good to hear. Of course, in this suggestion, they're just passive NPCs, not fighters.

This is possible? That's good to hear. Of course, in this suggestion, they're just passive NPCs, not fighters.
but in mod they mainly strolling around spawn, protecting themselves and collecting loots
[DOUBLEPOST=1425576903][/DOUBLEPOST]or you can make a party of you + 2 characters that follow you, guard home or just strolling - you choose what they do, but there's, as i said, limit of 2 team members in mod to cause less lag and to stop AFK grinding

I like it, and what they say could be written in like signs. This idea seems really cool, so I support.

I support. But what uses would it have? Not much. But I have a way to spruce it up a bit!

All you need to do is to simply make it so they have the ability to trade items. Maybe you can somehow have a set inventory for them that they can trade for money and whatnot. Maybe even their inventory would reflect on the actual character once in the game.

While this could be cool, it would also be OP. You could cheese any boss by just having 50 people with late pre-hardmode gear.
Would this be any different than playing on a server?

If you say this is OP you might as well be saying playing with other players OP.

If anything this would be really helpful to people who have trouble with moon events.

You can also cheese bosses with gravity potions. Are those OP?

It would be nice to create a large number of town biomes, populated by custom characters. Just think of the stories people could tell!

If you're willing to go through the effort of assembling 50 people, and, more importantly, if you're willing to split the loot 50 ways, then I say that's fine. The bigger problem is bringing in an higher tiered character from another world. That is to say, the problem is essentially bringing in an auto-kill button. Even if you're using a Blizzard Staff on the EoC, it takes effort, however little.
If anything this would be really helpful to people who have trouble with moon events.
This is true, as you would have to have X sets of equipment, making it take more effort. Problem is, with the way it's currently suggested, character spawning is available from the very beginning.
You can't cheese bosses, because cheesing implies that exactly zero effort was spent. Sure, you can make it a lot easier, but you still have to have a degree of skill, and put some effort in. An example of cheesing would be a lava pit during the Pirate Invasion.

In order to make their ability to fight balanced, the world-crossing would have to be introduced post-Plantera, when all major gate bosses have been defeated. I don't think the Duke would be a problem, as fighting him takes a degree of skill beyond simple NPC AI. I don't think Golem is a problem, because Golem is kind of a joke.

Now, I don't think that we should limit PNPCs until after Plantera. We can, after all just treat them as aesthetics.

I will say, a more efficient way would be to have the PNPCs spawn if they set their spawn point in the world using a bed.This would also choose their room for them.

The bigger problem is bringing in an higher tiered character from another world. That is to say, the problem is essentially bringing in an auto-kill button. Even if you're using a Blizzard Staff on the EoC, it takes effort, however little.
There's nothing wrong with doing this. You might as well be complaining about cross world play
This is true, as you would have to have X sets of equipment, making it take more effort. Problem is, with the way it's currently suggested, character spawning is available from the very beginning.
This just means more prep time for those that choose to make these NPC. And like I said earlier you might as well be complaining about cross world play.
In order to make their ability to fight balanced, the world-crossing would have to be introduced post-Plantera
I honestly don't have a problem with gating it. But I don't see the point in doing so.

There's nothing wrong with doing this. You might as well be complaining about cross world play
Excuse you. What I said was the problem is that you could simply put no effort in. If you're playing cross-world, then you still have to put effort in.

For events, this is fine, because you can't just run away and hide from events. Bosses, on the other hand, you can hide from, behind your PNPC meatshield.

Excuse you. What I said was the problem is that you could simply put no effort in. If you're playing cross-world, then you still have to put effort in.
Yes you still have to put effort. But it almost little to none really.
For events, this is fine, because you can't just run away and hide from events. Bosses, on the other hand, you can hide from, behind your PNPC meatshield.
Would it really make any difference?

Yes you still have to put effort. But it almost little to none really.
It's enough effort to make it relevant. Moreover, you can summon a boss and have your PNPC eat it while you go do something else.
Would it really make any difference?
Yes, it would. Bosses can only hit so many players at once. Events, on the other hand, compensate for players by increasing the number of enemies.

If you say this is OP you might as well be saying playing with other players OP.

Apparently it needs to be said that the game is primarily balanced around singleplayer, and allowing players to create a massive army would be a little bit over powered.

This is a suggestion to allow people to have custom aesthetic NPCs. This is not a suggestion to allow players to create an army. If you're looking for a suggestion that lets you do something like that, I have one, actually, and it's a bit more balanced by having some restrictions and weaknesses built into it. http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/npcs-acting-in-self-defense-guards.4515/

We could put a limit of uhm.... Let's say 5-10 NPCs per world.

Ok, but what if someone wants to make a massive city with 60 NPCs in it? There are better solutions to difficult parts of the game than just letting the player bring in a small army of reinforcements.

Ok, but what if someone wants to make a massive city with 60 NPCs in it? There are better solutions to difficult parts of the game than just letting the player bring in a small army of reinforcements.
We could have 2 sets of NPCs. Passive and Aggressive.
Aggressive would be the only ones able to attack.

We could set a limit to both like Aggressive - 10 max
Passive - 100?

To be fair, there would probably need to be a cap anyway, just to counter lag.

I doubt they would cause lag unless they had a super complicated AI

Back
Top Bottom