Weapons & Equip Ranged may require some tweaks...

Does Ranged require any changes?

• Give them mobility, this game is like Touhou, it's all about dodging!

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • Give them new weapons! Anything that isn't a fish or a firework.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • Mobility or better weapons? Why not both! Mages have both too...

Votes: 66 50.4%
  • Give rangers nothing, I don't think they deserve it.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • Or give rangers the ability to build sentry like minions and arm them with ranged weaponry!

Votes: 23 17.6%
  • Change/give Vortex Armor a set bonus which grants damage bonus based on how fast the player moves!

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Change the movement speed penalties to defense penalties on Vortex Armor.

Votes: 27 20.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a summoner but I use the phantasm with an endless quiver as my main range weapon and even with wooden arrows it comes out at a slightly higher dps than the SDMG with basic bullets, and that's not even accounting for the phantom arrows which might even double the dps.

Edit:
These stats completely ignore the secondary lasers from luminite arrows as well as the phantasms additional 'phantom arrows'

With endless musket-pouch/quiver
  • SDMG = 924 dps
  • Phantasm = 1040 dps
With Luminite ammo
  • SDMG = 1188 dps
  • Phantasm = 1300 dps

Last edited:
Just a summoner but I use the phantasm with an endless quiver as my main range weapon and even with wooden arrows it comes out at a slightly higher dps than the SDMG with basic bullets, and that's not even accounting for the phantom arrows which might even double the dps.

Edit:
These stats completely ignore the secondary lasers from luminite arrows as well as the phantasms additional 'phantom arrows'

With endless musket-pouch/quiver
  • SDMG = 924 dps
  • Phantasm = 1040 dps
With Luminite ammo
  • SDMG = 1188 dps
  • Phantasm = 1300 dps
Yeah, Phantasm is generally superior to the S.D.M.G. in terms of DPS and the S.D.M.G. consumes ammo at a 3.5x higher rate than Phantasm does. Of course, this doesn't mean the Phantasm needs to be nerfed again, unless the S.D.M.G. which is quite underwhelming compared to other Moon Lord drops gets tremendously buffed in return.

Of course, the Phantasm does require a better aim from the player, that could be considered as a balancing point.

Yeah, Phantasm is generally superior to the S.D.M.G. in terms of DPS and the S.D.M.G. consumes ammo at a 3.5x higher rate than Phantasm does. Of course, this doesn't mean the Phantasm needs to be nerfed again, unless the S.D.M.G. which is quite underwhelming compared to other Moon Lord drops gets tremendously buffed in return.

Of course, the Phantasm does require a better aim from the player, that could be considered as a balancing point.
Or the SDMG could simply be buffed, or there could be a new ranged ML drop that is inaccurate, but has a lot more DPS so the SDMG has an use.

...back to our stuff, @felis, I have an interesting question for you. What's your favourite weapon. I'm particulalry interested in both your all time favourite - regardless of it's tier -, both ranged and non-ranged weapons. I'm just interested, now that I think about it. What's the favourite of the others?
It's really hard to say, beacause I am always a mixed type player, I seldom play in one class and likes many weapon.
But as far as I think:
  • Early:Shade/Ebonwood Bow, non-range: Spear/Trident, Shade/Ebonwood Sword, Grenade.
  • Pre-Harmode:phoenix Blaster,The Bee's Knees, non-range: Night's Edge, Vilethorn, Space Gun, Medusa Head.
  • Hardmode(Pre-Plantera):Uzi,Clockwork Assault Rifle,non-Range: Fetid Baghnakhs,Bladetongue, Death Sickle, Mushroom Spear, Golden Shower.
  • Hardmode(Post-Plantera):Sniper Rifle, Tactical Shotgun, Pulse Bow(but I seldom get this), non-Range: Fetid Baghnakhs, Terra Blade, Influx Waver, Razorblade Typhoon(I know it can be obtain pre-plantera, but very difficult and I've never tried so, also other drops from Duke Fishron are also wonderful)
  • Post-Moon Lord: I think ALL of its drops are very good, and for the Fragment weapon, I prefer:Solar Eruption, Phantasm, Nebula Blaze and Stardust Dragon Staff.
If for over-all favourite, I think it's the Sniper Rifle, because it can easily one-shot most mobs and easily reach 100% crit, the only downside is it's difficult when fighting a boss.
And for Non-Ranged:
  • Melee: Fetid Baghnakhs, I can destory the Martian Saucer before it has the chance to change to the 2nd Phase.
  • Magic: Razorblade Typhoon, extremely easy to use and powerful, and I think it's the best weapon for clear the mobs, even at 1.3.
  • Summon: Stardust Dragon Staff, no need to explain.
Finally, I admit the Snowman Cannon is better than Celebration for clear the mobs and digging the Corruption-Proof Tunnels, and still likes it. But the downside is it's more difficult to get than Celebration(my opinion) and DPS is only about half(taken the accurate into consideration) of the Celebration, so that the Celebration is more suitable for boss fighting.

Finally, I admit the Snowman Cannon is better than Celebration for clear the mobs and digging the Corruption-Proof Tunnels, and still likes it. But the downside is it's more difficult to get than Celebration(my opinion) and DPS is only about half(taken the accurate into consideration) of the Celebration, so that the Celebration is more suitable for boss fighting.
Again, the Snowman Cannon is way more powerful. The damage is higher slightly, one of them shoots two rockets, the other one shoots twice as fast, in the end, it is impossible to deal less DPS with it in any practical situation.
Everyone else can do more way more DPS than what you did with the Snowman Cannon, it must be user error on your side that you can't.

On the other hand, getting a Celebration does feel easier than getting a Snowman Cannon. Not like I feel it worths it, I'd always prefer to see one useful Moon Lord drop than seeing a Celebration which I'll never use, but, in the end, yes, the Celebration isn't hard to get unless RNG gets stuck on something more useful.
Frost Moon without Moon Lord tier drops is a mess, possible, but requires quite a lot of luck for the first weapons to drop there.
Moon Lord itself for the first time before getting any drops of his, less of a mess. Despite he was designed to be the strongest boss I'd say he is prolly less of an issue.

Again, the Snowman Cannon is way more powerful. The damage is higher slightly, one of them shoots two rockets, the other one shoots twice as fast, in the end, it is impossible to deal less DPS with it in any practical situation.
I actually use damned Celebration, because there is one situation it's superior to SMC:
Golem farming.
Celebrations has 1,5x DPS of SMC at point blank, and - as golem doesn't have high damage rate, I can allow myself to get close to him, even stealthed. SMC deals less damage at point plank, but far more at longer ranges, though in this particulat situation I can use Celebration's only advantage.
Funny fact: It is also only situation I use stealth - farming previously defeated bosses. Entering it while battling ML - in fact only boss that isn't farmable with previous gear (Maybe besides Fishron and events, but that's another story) - is suicide. No way to escape Deathray.
he was designed to be the strongest boss
Just a detail: strongest single boss. For me, he alone is equal to FM 20th wave when all True Eyes are out. I can fight Ice Queens, Everscreams and Santanks at once in numbers above 3 of each, dodging the bullets, rockets, presents, needles & icicles hell they rain down on me, but there's no way I could last fight with 2 Moon Lords, even using Mage. With other classes (except Summoners), though, maybe I could rip some eyes out first.

Eh, I could take out two moon lords pretty easily as summoner using the nurse teleport trick. Probably be a pretty quick fight too.
It's not that Summoners are weak, just I have some problems with this playstyle.
Also, I'm propably dumbest person in the World, because as Ranger I fight ML running on asphalt, with him nearly always off-screen, using some gun with sniper scope and Chloro bullets to tear him apart :D

Just a detail: strongest single boss. For me, he alone is equal to FM 20th wave when all True Eyes are out. I can fight Ice Queens, Everscreams and Santanks at once in numbers above 3 of each, dodging the bullets, rockets, presents, needles & icicles hell they rain down on me, but there's no way I could last fight with 2 Moon Lords, even using Mage. With other classes (except Summoners), though, maybe I could rip some eyes out first.
Hell yeah, two Moon Lords would definitely hit the skill cap Terraria requires in general, I consider it to be possible to kill them, but that would be some serious Touhou gameplay there.
Your point there is absolute, strongest single boss.

I actually use damned Celebration, because there is one situation it's superior to SMC:
Golem farming.
True, poor golem got always disrespected.

I was thinking about way to repair vortex stealth without complete mechanics overhaul. And You know what, I found perfect solution, and I'm sure Terraria community - especially Mages would love it. So, here it is:
Vortex stealth boost would increase damage done by 1000%, and not slow movements speed. It would also make every creature in game world - except bosses - totally neautral to player (not targetting him). As a pay-off, it wouldn't retain it's invisibility, to prevent it from being as OP in multiplayer as Warrior currently is*, and - here comes most important part - will automatically shut down when firing any weapon, so that it wouldn't it be possible to farm mobs without attention. I just fear it is OP, unlike Last Prism.
*Withstanding 3 crits from sniper rifle, dying on 4th... I know that Worm scarf, Solar armor and such, but - how the hell all three, when I used all accesories for damage, was stealthed and even used wrath, rage & well fed buffs? That's sick; even absurd should have limits.

I was thinking about way to repair vortex stealth without complete mechanics overhaul. And You know what, I found perfect solution, and I'm sure Terraria community - especially Mages would love it. So, here it is:
Vortex stealth boost would increase damage done by 1000%, and not slow movements speed. It would also make every creature in game world - except bosses - totally neautral to player (not targetting him). As a pay-off, it wouldn't retain it's invisibility, to prevent it from being as OP in multiplayer as Warrior currently is*, and - here comes most important part - will automatically shut down when firing any weapon, so that it wouldn't it be possible to farm mobs without attention. I just fear it is OP, unlike Last Prism.
*Withstanding 3 crits from sniper rifle, dying on 4th... I know that Worm scarf, Solar armor and such, but - how the hell all three, when I used all accesories for damage, was stealthed and even used wrath, rage & well fed buffs? That's sick; even absurd should have limits.
Vortex stealth is difficult to use, as you can't dodge really. You ever actually tried playing ranger? In singleplayer, using the stealth doesn't make you less noticeable, as it's relative to other players. Yes, you deal damage like a boss, but bear in mind you're going to be attacked by many, many enemies from all directions at that point (the lunar pillars).
In multiplayer (co-operative), it's kind of better, as the other player takes the hits, and you can help by using them as a "mob magnet" per se, and killing them as they approach. It's still not invincibility + insta-kill, like you make it out to be.
And the game is not balanced for PvP, and will never be, as it's not a PvP game. So stop trying to balance it round that. It's dumb.

I have an idea that would fix the celebration. Just make the current way it works an alternate mode of fire that you right click to use, and make it otherwise rapidly fire fireworks that track and don't explode at the position of your mouse.

I have an idea that would fix the celebration. Just make the current way it works an alternate mode of fire that you right click to use, and make it otherwise rapidly fire fireworks that track and don't explode at the position of your mouse.
Well, I must say Your idea is good.
it doesn't fix main problem with Celebration
If You didn't read this post, here it is, so You could see it:
Main problem with Celebration is that it's joke. Rangers, as only class from Terraria have all their ML drops jokes - Mages, Warriors and even Summoners have things cool, badass and powerfull, and most important - not jokes (besides Meowmere, but it's compensated by Terrarian). We just got two thing, from which only one is powerful, but both aren't something You could put in sentence "I will obliterate this world using my {put ML drop here}". What, would Dolphin or Firework fit this? Certainly not. Warriors could say "With stars raining down from the sky", Mages "With ultimate laser of doom", even summoners could say "With a ray of energy striking down our foes"... Only Rangers have these f*cking jokes
This is the real reason for which Celebration is WORSE than other ML drops. This is why so much players, including me, hate it. Because it had to be something cool and awesome, but - just like this dolphin, which at least doesn't shoot fireworks stolen from Party Girl - is ANOTHER FU*KING JOKE!
Sorry for such... emotional words, but this is something that enrages me even more than C.S. Goto's books. This isn't mean to offend anyone in any way.
It's not that damned Celebration is much weaker than it's counterparts (even S.D.M.G.), because the difference is big, though not tremendous. But it uses exactly the same sprites that firework rockets from Party Girl, making this weapon totally not-original, and looks like confetti gun rather than powerful endgame rocket launcher. And, before You even ask - no way for me to allow damned Celebration to stay in the game other than complete change (DPS, mechanics, theme, sprite) with only name remaining the same.

Well, I like your idea, but I have one that Relogic would love more. Alignment: *Sarcastic Evil*
Sarcasm3.jpg
Vortex Stealth would increase damage by -100%, multiplicatively of course. Movement speed would gain a bonus of -100% while maximum health would gain a bonus of -599 in order to balance out the huge DPS gain. Each of the set pieces would give 100% increase to Use Time of ranged weapons instead of the lame damage and critical hit bonuses.

Celebration would be reworked to shoot 1 rocket with half damage instead of 2 as it is clearly OP as of now, similarly S.D.M.G. would gain a slight nerf of -77 damage in order to keep it from becoming too powerful.

As Relogic hears our cries for additional weapons, we are going to be the first class who gets a Moon Lord drop for all of our weapon types. As we have a gun and a rocket launcher, this means we might get a bow and a dart weapon.

The third Moon Lord drop ranged weapon could be a bow based on a deer, as deers are the most fearsome creatures representing nature, as such, it's sprite would be a deer head with cute little antlers on the character's head. It's most interesting mechanic would be that it wouldn't shoot arrows, instead, it would make the character bow down. Literally. As such, it wouldn't deal damage, but why would a weapon do damage?

The fourth Moon Lord drop ranged weapon is to be announced, I'd believe it'll be the Pandart-gun as Terraria currently has the issue of not having Panda content. Copy-pasting Pandarens from WoW is trendy in MMORPGs, so Terraria needs pandaren content in order to stay in business in the gaming industry. As such ranged is the best fitting class for a serious weapon based on a panda. The Pandart-gun looks like a cute panda, uses Dart ammo, but it ignores the dart ammunition's special effects. To make it balanced It's use time is 67 and it's base damage is 5, making an Unreal Pandart-gun deal a whopping 21(!) OP DPS with Crystal Darts.

INB4 Phantasm nerf required in order to consider the patch to be completely balanced.

That change wouldn't be enought to make it anything borderline acceptable for a weapon, even if you change the mechanics to copy the Snowman Cannon instead, it still won't deal enough damage for a Moon Lord drop. In comparison, Last Prism deals 600 base damage over multiple screens, Celebration deals 65+65=130 base damage over a small area and Last Prism has a higher "firerate" as well.

Celebration can't be repaired, it's so weak that practically you can't keep anything from it if you want a good weapon. Celebration is the melting pot of bad ideas, merged into the worst piece of equipment in gaming history, it is the harbinger of disappointment. Imagine the previous sentence with a creppy echo repeating it in a huge hall.
It belongs on this list:
somewhere around the Flame weapon from Ghosts'n'Goblins, it's that bad.
Awful mechanics, ugly sprite, lame name, low damage, low fire rate, low range, low accuracy, unoriginal and uncool explosion effect. The only thing that we can consider good about it is the ammunition it uses.
"What were they thinking!?"
The previous sentence belongs to the Angry Video Game Nerd, possibly all rights reserved, copyrighted or trademarked.

Last edited:
Well, I like your idea, but I have one that Relogic would love more. Alignment: *Sarcastic Evil*
Vortex Stealth would increase damage by -100%, multiplicatively of course. Movement speed would gain a bonus of -100% while maximum health would gain a bonus of -599 in order to balance out the huge DPS gain. Each of the set pieces would give 100% increase to Use Time of ranged weapons instead of the lame damage and critical hit bonuses.

Celebration would be reworked to shoot 1 rocket with half damage instead of 2 as it is clearly OP as of now, similarly S.D.M.G. would gain a slight nerf of -77 damage in order to keep it from becoming too powerful.

As Relogic hears our cries for additional weapons, we are going to be the first class who gets a Moon Lord drop for all of our weapon types. As we have a gun and a rocket launcher, this means we might get a bow and a dart weapon.

The third Moon Lord drop ranged weapon could be a bow based on a deer, as deers are the most fearsome creatures representing nature, as such, it's sprite would be a deer head with cute little antlers on the character's head. It's most interesting mechanic would be that it wouldn't shoot arrows, instead, it would make the character bow down. Literally. As such, it wouldn't deal damage, but why would a weapon do damage?

The fourth Moon Lord drop ranged weapon is to be announced, I'd believe it'll be the Pandart-gun as Terraria currently has the issue of not having Panda content. Copy-pasting Pandarens from WoW is trendy in MMORPGs, so Terraria needs pandaren content in order to stay in business in the gaming industry. As such ranged is the best fitting class for a serious weapon based on a panda. The Pandart-gun looks like a cute panda, uses Dart ammo, but it ignores the dart ammunition's special effects. To make it balanced It's use time is 67 and it's base damage is 5, making an Unreal Pandart-gun deal a whopping 21(!) OP DPS with Crystal Darts.

INB4 Phantasm nerf required in order to consider the patch to be completely balanced.

That change wouldn't be enought to make it anything borderline acceptable for a weapon, even if you change the mechanics to copy the Snowman Cannon instead, it still won't deal enough damage for a Moon Lord drop. In comparison, Last Prism deals 600 base damage over multiple screens, Celebration deals 65+65=130 base damage over a small area and Last Prism has a higher "firerate" as well.

Celebration can't be repaired, it's so weak that practically you can't keep anything from it if you want a good weapon. Celebration is the melting pot of bad ideas, merged into the worst piece of equipment in gaming history, it is the harbinger of disappointment. Imagine the previous sentence with a creppy echo repeating it in a huge hall.
It belongs on this list:
somewhere around the Flame weapon from Ghosts'n'Goblins, it's that bad.
Awful mechanics, ugly sprite, lame name, low damage, low fire rate, low range, low accuracy, unoriginal and uncool explosion effect. The only thing that we can consider good about it is the ammunition it uses.
"What were they thinking!?"
The previous sentence belongs to the Angry Video Game Nerd, possibly all rights reserved, copyrighted or trademarked.
Then boost the damage. The alt-fire mode would make it unique.

Wait. So, it shouldn't be unique? When all other classes have something uniqe, we shouldn't? If I understood You right, then I just don't like way You think... But I bet You meant something different, so explain please.
No. I said to give it alt fire and make it unique, as well as boost the damage. I said I wanted it unique. Who doesn't want something unique?:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom