Weapons & Equip Ranged may require some tweaks...

Does Ranged require any changes?

• Give them mobility, this game is like Touhou, it's all about dodging!

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • Give them new weapons! Anything that isn't a fish or a firework.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • Mobility or better weapons? Why not both! Mages have both too...

Votes: 66 50.4%
  • Give rangers nothing, I don't think they deserve it.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • Or give rangers the ability to build sentry like minions and arm them with ranged weaponry!

Votes: 23 17.6%
  • Change/give Vortex Armor a set bonus which grants damage bonus based on how fast the player moves!

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Change the movement speed penalties to defense penalties on Vortex Armor.

Votes: 27 20.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or you could just remove the stealth mechanic and increase damage, since that'd just put ranged on par with magic in terms of damage with no lifesteal or nebula-esque bonus, meaning ranged would still be the worst possible option as is the status quo. It would just be less worst.

I don't know hot it is about SDMG - IMO it's pretty powerful, but nothing special, just machinegun. Name is good, but it's sprite sucks.
If we get to the celebration... IMO it's far too weak to be ML drop. The same goes for Snowman Cannon. For other classes, ML drops thing that - even if joke like Meowmere - are super destructive. We have fishgun (pretty strong, but still joke) and lame, weak, damned firework that has slow firerate, low damage (as for endgame weapon) and is far weaker than it's "predecessor", the Snowman Cannon.
And both of them are jokes! We have no badass, cool weapons, just jokes. Even if SDMG is strong, it's joke. Celebration is damned, weak and sucks. And it's joke. We have no serious endgame weaponry, VB and Phantasm being nerfed constantly because of being not ML drops, while only weapon that could match in power other classes' endgames being SDMG.
So, we have low damage. If we have high damage, then no movement = instadeath. We have only one powerful endgame weapon, being also our only ML drop, but it's fishgun.
(Yeah, I know that we have theoretically two ML drops. But what, did You count Celebration? It's a joke, but not on game - on players. Broken as heck, and really not worthy to waste ammo using it.)
Tsunami looks like a snout of a Fishron, and it outperforms the Phantasm in some areas.
So you could substitute moon Lord for fishron. After all, they are just as hard but there's less waste in fighting Duke.

One thing that may ease the mind of ranged players is that, in expert mode with four accessories, ranged can reach a permanent (as in, unboosted by potions) 100% critical strike chance using its best weapon, and a 99% with four accessories (or 100% with five) in non-expert. Magic can reach a permanent 78% crit chance at maximum with 6 accessories (meaning no celestial magnet or mana flower), 72% outside of expert. And that's without stealth. Melee gets 89@6/83@5, with the terrarian, and 10 less with meowmere and star wrath. That means ranged players could, with the 20% crit chance from stealth in vortex gear, drop three of the accessories it'd be using for crit chance (or 5/6 of its lucky accessories) and still have a 100% chance to crit. For those of us with a minmax mindset, that means magic has a 22-28% chance to have its damage reduced by half, and that's with less defense and less flexibility in terms of accessories.

But celebration is still :red:.

One thing that may ease the mind of ranged players is that, in expert mode with four accessories, ranged can reach a permanent (as in, unboosted by potions) 100% critical strike chance using its best weapon, and a 99% with four accessories (or 100% with five) in non-expert. Magic can reach a permanent 78% crit chance at maximum with 6 accessories (meaning no celestial magnet or mana flower), 72% outside of expert. And that's without stealth. Melee gets 89@6/83@5, with the terrarian, and 10 less with meowmere and star wrath. That means ranged players could, with the 20% crit chance from stealth in vortex gear, drop three of the accessories it'd be using for crit chance (or 5/6 of its lucky accessories) and still have a 100% chance to crit. For those of us with a minmax mindset, that means magic has a 22-28% chance to have its damage reduced by half, and that's with less defense and less flexibility in terms of accessories.

But celebration is still :red:.
Yes, well celebration is only to celebrate, nothing more.

Here's how you fix VA:
Make it usable while mounting, with a speed penalty (but not too much of a speed penalty.)

This would chance everything!
Yes, well celebration is only to celebrate, nothing more.
Well then get it out of the ML drop pool and replace it with a better rocket launcher. I don't want it blocking my access to the more powerful weapons.

What are you talking about? The celebration is a beast! Massive blast radius and plenty of damage with paired with the right ammo.

What are you talking about? The celebration is a beast! Massive blast radius and plenty of damage with paired with the right ammo.
Low range, low veolicty, low DPS (SMDG and even VB will easily outdamage it both on single and multi targets), problems with aiming (massive blast radius isn't compensated by fact that it will propably hit with only one missilbe). It doesn't destroy blocks with ammo it should, thus using R IV with it is such a waste.

1. Rip off Unreal Tournament's Ripper & bring it into this game. Sawblade Launching is total fun factor! Also can use Unique Ammo - Sawblades! Not sure who'd be the best NPC to sell them though.
It's IMO very good idea. And I think that fitting NPC would be Goblin Tinkerer or Steampunker; they specialize in this kind of items.

About Vortex Armor stealth... I'll stick to idea of tremendously lowered armor in exchange. I love it.

Last edited:
*short login just to check on the thread*

Challange / Quest
All of you might know, how awesome the Phantasm is. Additional homing arrows, high attack speed, multishot attack, and the solid base of being a bow.
Which means, you can't really make it any better, because, bows are bows. Arrows have always been superior projectiles, Jester's Arrows have been there since early versions and are easier to obtain than Luminite Bullets, similarly, Unholy Arrows have been always better than Meteor shots, etc, etc.
Arrows are cool. Making a bow that works with these arrows and make them even cooler is kinda hard.

Even I can't think of anything that is more awesome, than the Phantasm is. So my Challange is, considering we now have awesome Luminite Arrows, make suggestions of bows that use it and add some intertesting mechanic on top of it, making the weapon unique. Well, bonus Homing Arrows are already done by Phantasm, so that's out of the question.

Competition starts now!

Tsunami looks like a snout of a Fishron, and it outperforms the Phantasm in some areas.
So you could substitute moon Lord for fishron. After all, they are just as hard but there's less waste in fighting Duke.

Actually, Tsunami is much slower. As of base damage and number of arrows go, Tsunami might look better, but the much faster attack speed along with the additional homing arrows more than make up for it. Not to mention, Phantasm has an extremely decreased ammo consumption.
Phantasm, is way better, but Tsunami since patch 1.3 is truly a beast compared to its former self.

I still think higher base movement speed and normal movement speed when stealthed would be awesome.

On the topic of weapons, however.
I think a spread-fire rocket launcher like the Celebration is a cool idea, but-

1. Make it badass looking.
2. Have it shoot more than two rockets in a roughly 45º (maybe) spread.
3. Similar damage values to the Snowman Cannon, and if lower damage, then homing capabilities should be added to compensate.

I've always wanted to see Tactical Shotgun and Snowman Cannon's love child.

Red Curse
isqicQ.png

(Better sprite needed. Could someone help?)
Damage: 86
Use time:10
Rarity: Red (considering it's power should be violet, but the name goes in the way)
Obtain method: Left 4 Devs
75% Chance not to consume ammo, consumes 5 arrows per shot (look down why)
Special ability: Fires three arrows at a time, consuming five for each shot. Every fired arrow has near-instant velocity, as well as not falling before traveling 64 tiles (or more). Middle arrow is converted to "Red" arrow, which strongly glows red and takes texture of red luminite arrow. When attack button is held down, it produces infinite-piercing, red (white core) laser-like beam traveling in a straight line that makes all enemies caught receive "Red Curse" debuff, which annihilates its defense,makes it take 3x damage from red arrow (so that the "side" arrows still do 1x damage), and constantly being knocked back. Debuff works on bosses, though leaves its defense and doesn't knock them back. Debuff vanishes instantly from caught enemies as soon as they get out of the beam.
Base DPS: 2580 [(2 side arrows x 86 + arrow's damage x 6 shots per second) + (1 red arrow x 86 + arrow's damage x 6 shots per second x damage multilier 3 from beam] = [(2 x 86 + ad x 6) + (86 + ad x 6 x 3)] = 1032 + 1548 = 2580; Not THAT superior DPS countered by armor negation
Trivia: Reference to Redigit, though not THAT obvious :D

Last edited:
The lack of luminite rockets makes it clear the celebration isn't meant to be used.
There aren't any craftable rockets, and, if the Celebration weren't meant to be used, it wouldn't be in the game in the first place because adding an item that isn't intended to be used is a massive waste of time. Even assuming it really was intended to be a joke, it wouldn't make sense for it to be in the ML's loot table, rather than being a separate drop, similarily to the Axe.

Mined Freak
Damage: 80
Use time: Very Fast
Obtain method: Combining the Phantasm, Tsunami, 30 Luminite and 40 Vortex fragments.
This is a weapon that has the same multi shot as the Tsunami and Phantasm. However, it fires three arrows (don't think I took this from the Red Curse, Four arrows seems more Phantasm-ish when I want it to be a blend of it's components and five arrows is too much.
attack: It fires a burst of three arrows per shot, while consuming only one. However, it also has a secondary attack where it can be charged to "infuse the arrows" with vortex energy, which when fired, causes the three arrows to be fused together and fired as a projectile of raw vortex energy, unlike the normal fire mode, where it is more like the Tsunami. These arrows will stick in the ground and create "Vortex Mines", which activate when a target/player is within range, creating a vortex and Sucking them in, dishing out 70-90 damage without armor while also stopping the player from moving, like the Frozen debuff. The vortex lasts for 1-2 seconds before dissipating and if the target is lucky to survive, releasing them.
Tooltip: Laying down the pain and hitting like a train.
The DPS is roughly estimated to be around 2250 and 2500.
Sorry for putting this up. Thought that if dzbanek was making ideas, I thought I'd chip in with a possible solution/game changer for the Ranger class.

They need to add a Badass Looking Minigun OR A Teslagun (a real Teslagun, not like the Electrospere Launcher) and A EndGame Shotgun...i mean Comeon! SHOTGUNS=BADASS! Maybe they could make Alternative VORTEX Helmet which functions just like the Beetle Armor but for Ranged Weapons
3 Stages ( Just like Beetle Armor)
First Stage:15 % to Ranged Damage,Crit,Movement Speed
Second Stage:25 % to Ranged Damage,Crit,Movement Speed
Last Stage: 35 % to Ranged Damage,Crit,Movement Speed

And maybe a Dash to the Alternative Vortex Helmet?

the Alt. Helmet would allow us to Dash (cooldown would be like 1or2 Seconds)
it would spawn a Decoy to all Enemies and after getting Attacked, the Decoy explodes and does 170 Damage ( Lower if OP / Higher if to weak)
to all Enemies and it would have the Same Radius as a Dynamite Stick

SDMG....Better then the Vortex Beater and i Still prefer VB
Why? Cuz the SDMG Looks pathetic!

BADASS-Weapons < Joke Weapons

They need to add a Badass Looking Minigun OR A Teslagun (a real Teslagun, not like the Electrospere Launcher) and A EndGame Shotgun...i mean Comeon! SHOTGUNS=BADASS! Maybe they could make Alternative VORTEX Helmet which functions just like the Beetle Armor but for Ranged Weapons
3 Stages ( Just like Beetle Armor)
First Stage:15 % to Ranged Damage,Crit,Movement Speed
Second Stage:25 % to Ranged Damage,Crit,Movement Speed
Last Stage: 35 % to Ranged Damage,Crit,Movement Speed

And maybe a Dash to the Alternative Vortex Helmet?

the Alt. Helmet would allow us to Dash (cooldown would be like 1or2 Seconds)
it would spawn a Decoy to all Enemies and after getting Attacked, the Decoy explodes and does 170 Damage ( Lower if OP / Higher if to weak)
to all Enemies and it would have the Same Radius as a Dynamite Stick

SDMG....Better then the Vortex Beater and i Still prefer VB
Why? Cuz the SDMG Looks pathetic!

BADASS-Weapons < Joke Weapons
They did.
It's called a chain gun

I'm still here trying to understand the whole complaint over movement speed when you have the vortex booster and its hovering capabilities,
Anyway: I think a ML bow or some other final tier bow is fitting, what with the final tier gun and the joke of a final tier rocket launcher. I feel that, even though the Phantasm is kind of a shotbow in nature, a more intense version of this with much higher damage and more projectiles (though at a lower accuracy and maybe, for balance, a bit lower speed) would fit well with luminite arrows, creating somewhat of a massive area of destruction. I would like it more if the luminite arrows had a longer trail, letting this become a laser grid or sorts, but what can ya do. :p

They did.
It's called a chain gun
Chain gun is not exactly the same as Minigun - every minigun is chaingun, not every chaingun is minigun. Especially in Terraria, where it deosn't look that cool.
IMO they could replace dolphin with Gatling Gun - six-barreled, totally destructive Minigun with propeties od SDMG, looking badass and having animation of rotating. Just without this "warmup" time.

I'm still here trying to understand the whole complaint over movement speed when you have the vortex booster and its hovering capabilities,
Anyway: I think a ML bow or some other final tier bow is fitting, what with the final tier gun and the joke of a final tier rocket launcher. I feel that, even though the Phantasm is kind of a shotbow in nature, a more intense version of this with much higher damage and more projectiles (though at a lower accuracy and maybe, for balance, a bit lower speed) would fit well with luminite arrows, creating somewhat of a massive area of destruction. I would like it more if the luminite arrows had a longer trail, letting this become a laser grid or sorts, but what can ya do. :p
It would, but the special ability doesn't activate in PvP.
Which is why a Tsunami is usually proficient in that section.
However u r right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom