tModLoader Reduced Grinding

not sure what you think of this, but how about breaking up the whole celestial event?
what I mean is, once you defeat the cultist, he drops an item that lets you trigger the pillars instead of them automatically spawning and once all the pillars are dead, you get a celestal sigil instead of the moon lord starting to spawn.
then add a way to craft the pillar summon item as well, maybe with ectoplasm (to make sure the dungeon is open), beetle husks (to make sure the golem is dead) and whatever else you consider fitting.
that would make grinding fragments much easier plus accidentally killing the cultist would no longer be as annoying.

Hi, can i ask how much is the spawn multiplier of the War and Chaos potions? I know that another potion like the Zerg (calamity mod) is 30x if im right, but i cant find the multiplier of War and Chaos. :(

War multiplies it by x10 and Chaos multiplies it by x20.

not sure what you think of this, but how about breaking up the whole celestial event?
what I mean is, once you defeat the cultist, he drops an item that lets you trigger the pillars instead of them automatically spawning and once all the pillars are dead, you get a celestal sigil instead of the moon lord starting to spawn.
then add a way to craft the pillar summon item as well, maybe with ectoplasm (to make sure the dungeon is open), beetle husks (to make sure the golem is dead) and whatever else you consider fitting.
that would make grinding fragments much easier plus accidentally killing the cultist would no longer be as annoying.

I've created an Atmospheric Barrier item that ends the Lunar Pillar invasions without summoning the Moon Lord and a recipe to craft Celestial Sigil with just 1 of each fragment instead of 20 (there's also a Celestial Beacon to make the Moon Lord summoning instant). I'll work on making a Pillar Summoning item though.

hey i have been trying to find that golden mirror but i cant seem to find it
anyone know where it is

The merchant sells it when MerchantSellsGoldReflectionMirrorForCraftingGoldCrittersItem in the configuration file is set to true.

Could I suggest (if it isn't already there and I can't find it) a potion or something to set the world to day or night?

Edit: nvm, found the granite and marble dials. Ty anyways for making them.

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but where can I get the lock boxes? I do get empty chest when killing mobs, is that supposed to be lock boxes instead of chest?

i cant place the marble and granite sundail, and the ones i had dissapeared, possibly a bug
This is strange, I'll look into this.
Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but where can I get the lock boxes? I do get empty chest when killing mobs, is that supposed to be lock boxes instead of chest?
The empty chest you get from killing mobs aren't lock boxes. Lock Boxes drop from most enemies, they're items you can right click to get items you'd normally find in chest. The default drop rate for all lockboxes is 1%.

Wow. This mod has changed lots since I last used it (This was before the ice lockbox was even added).
It may be since I loaded up an old world with an old config but the new mod version... Though possibly not?
But ah, the lockbox droprates seem to be kind of excessively high. I got like 4-5 Underground lockboxes in 5 minutes.
Could be some odd mod interaction too, not sure. All these lockbox types, with them being so common, alongside chest drops, along with the multiple perma-NPCs, is starting to make this mod feel a bit cluttered, sadly, at least without some significant config tweaking. At least the chest merchant is disabled by default now. Also sad the Time potion got replaced. Many good memories of that thing.
That said, thank you for redoing the config to have nice, neat, organized categories with headers and stuff. That's an absolute timesaver and eyesaver.

But ah, getting used to changes aside... Is the Stationary Merchant even necessary? It sounds like he's rather buggy judging by the last few pages, and given the changes you've made to the Travelling Merchant (more frequent spawns, more frequent item restocking, etc.) I feel like the Stationary Merchant on top of that is really a bit overkill. I'd say he should possibly be disabled by default, or summonable from an item like the Bone Merchant, since the Travelling Merch's changes seem like more than enough at this point.

May I also make a suggestion to add a config to lower the amount of loot you get from a lockbox? I'm not sure how easy it would be, but since lockboxes are infinitely renewable and farmable, it feels like a config that makes them only give say, 25% the amount of loot as a chest, maybe with a 50% chance instead of the usual 100% to contain a "primary" themed item. Still reduces the grinding, but also stops lockboxes from being as easily abused for profit and mass-item farming without config edits.

Also am I the only one who's a bit sad that the two new sundials don't have the cool fast-forward effect the Enchanted Sundial does and just pop you to the time near-instantly?

But ah, getting used to changes aside... Is the Stationary Merchant even necessary? It sounds like he's rather buggy judging by the last few pages, and given the changes you've made to the Travelling Merchant (more frequent spawns, more frequent item restocking, etc.) I feel like the Stationary Merchant on top of that is really a bit overkill. I'd say he should possibly be disabled by default, or summonable from an item like the Bone Merchant, since the Travelling Merch's changes seem like more than enough at this point.
stationary merchant seems entirely bugfree in singleplayer and multiplayer works now as well iirc.
is he necessary? of course not. but it makes life easier. not only does he get all the vanilla loot eventually, but he is there whenever you need something.

Hello,

could you add support for Census for your NPCs? And for those that can be disabled by config file, maybe send a different string depending on whether or not they are enabled, since I believe Census will show them in the list in any case.

Also, I think "Idle Merchant" might be a better name than "Stationary Merchant" since it's shorter, but it's probably not worth the hassle associated with renaming (config file updates and so on).

Wow. This mod has changed lots since I last used it (This was before the ice lockbox was even added).
It may be since I loaded up an old world with an old config but the new mod version... Though possibly not?
But ah, the lockbox droprates seem to be kind of excessively high. I got like 4-5 Underground lockboxes in 5 minutes.
Could be some odd mod interaction too, not sure. All these lockbox types, with them being so common, alongside chest drops, along with the multiple perma-NPCs, is starting to make this mod feel a bit cluttered, sadly, at least without some significant config tweaking. At least the chest merchant is disabled by default now. Also sad the Time potion got replaced. Many good memories of that thing.
That said, thank you for redoing the config to have nice, neat, organized categories with headers and stuff. That's an absolute timesaver and eyesaver.

May I also make a suggestion to add a config to lower the amount of loot you get from a lockbox? I'm not sure how easy it would be, but since lockboxes are infinitely renewable and farmable, it feels like a config that makes them only give say, 25% the amount of loot as a chest, maybe with a 50% chance instead of the usual 100% to contain a "primary" themed item. Still reduces the grinding, but also stops lockboxes from being as easily abused for profit and mass-item farming without config edits.

Also am I the only one who's a bit sad that the two new sundials don't have the cool fast-forward effect the Enchanted Sundial does and just pop you to the time near-instantly?
I also noticed lockboxes dropping too frequent. I was trying to make hermes boots easier, but then I realized swiftness potions don't work after hermes boots so it's like they were made as an alternative. I already gave the merchant swiftness potions, so I'm going to at least half the lockbox rates.

I felt that Dials were more convenient for skipping the blood moon and eclipse because you don't have to search for a time potion or keep them with you if it happens, and I found myself needing it quite often. It also gave me more reason to seek out granite and marble.

The Stationary Merchant was buggy at first, but I got him fixed up. The Stationary Merchant doesn't gain items as often at first; the further you get in the game, the more efficient he becomes. The rate of gaining items compared to the game completion is also a slow curve.

I'm glad you like the configuration reorder. I couldn't find a way to create comment lines, so I had to create false configuration lines full of separators and titles.

Hello,

could you add support for Census for your NPCs? And for those that can be disabled by config file, maybe send a different string depending on whether or not they are enabled, since I believe Census will show them in the list in any case.

Also, I think "Idle Merchant" might be a better name than "Stationary Merchant" since it's shorter, but it's probably not worth the hassle associated with renaming (config file updates and so on).
This seems to be open source on Github, which I'm think is to allow modders to add support for it. I'll work on adding support for it.
found the problem, it was linked to the chest maximum
You mean the dials disappearing? I'm not sure what you mean, by it being linked to the chest maximum, is there a max number of chest you can have in the world?

Suggestion here
Leather: Change recipe to be 2-3 Rotten Chunks @ Workbench instead of 5 RC per. In Vanilla it's used in ONE vanity set, but mods make a LOT more use of it, seemingly oblivious that its a pain to grind for any significant amount. Also, add an alternate recipe for it, 2-3 Vertebrae @ Workbench. Currently leather is Corruption-Only due to having no Crimson alt recipe. Mod Helpers (Hamstar's Helpers) adds a Crimson variant but its equally as annoyingly expensive (and is crafted free-hand for some reason).

Suggestion here
Leather: Change recipe to be 2-3 Rotten Chunks @ Workbench instead of 5 RC per. In Vanilla it's used in ONE vanity set, but mods make a LOT more use of it, seemingly oblivious that its a pain to grind for any significant amount. Also, add an alternate recipe for it, 2-3 Vertebrae @ Workbench. Currently leather is Corruption-Only due to having no Crimson alt recipe. Mod Helpers (Hamstar's Helpers) adds a Crimson variant but its equally as annoyingly expensive (and is crafted free-hand for some reason).
Alright, I'll make leather easier for both Corruption and Crimson.

This does not seem to work for me, I have tried every vanilla key and a few other modded keys with no luck. I am past moon lord and have opened every chest in the dungeon, am I doing something wrong?

The Goblin Retreat Order doesn't work in multiplayer on a dedicated server. I tried one after the "Goblins are approaching", I tried one after goblins started spawning, and I tried one after "Goblins have arrived!" and in no case did it stop the invasion. It just got consumed, made a sound, and everything continued as normal.

yes, there is a maximum, it is 1000 chests. but i think it is linked to that
I don't think there's anything I can do about that. That's a lot of chest, I find the magic storage mod to be very helpful when playing a modded game. If you use it, you wont need so many chests.
This does not seem to work for me, I have tried every vanilla key and a few other modded keys with no luck. I am past moon lord and have opened every chest in the dungeon, am I doing something wrong?
It also will only drop loot from biome chests that you've obtained in the current world.
The Goblin Retreat Order doesn't work in multiplayer on a dedicated server. I tried one after the "Goblins are approaching", I tried one after goblins started spawning, and I tried one after "Goblins have arrived!" and in no case did it stop the invasion. It just got consumed, made a sound, and everything continued as normal.
Weird, that was a problem I fixed when I fixed all the multiplayer incompatibilities. I'll look into again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom