tModLoader Reduced Grinding

how to actually configure the drops I want in the config file
The config file itself only contains any configs that are different from the mod's default config settings. Make your changes using the in-game mod settings. If a setting for an item doesn't exist, then sadly you can't change it.

How would I change the drop rate of amarok for example?
Like Freedbot said, I don't have a configuration for that.

If you can handle the snow enemies, you can boost the spawn rates with Greater Battle Potion or boost it even more with Super Battle Potion. It's 1/300 in hardmode. Hardmode snow enemies only spawn at night/blizzard on the surface so daytime would be a great time to use it. Without mods you can fight King Slime or use Goblin Battle standard.

Last edited:
Working on modding is hard lately. We're just getting out of heat spell (each day was at least 104f/40c).

On monday it was 110f/43c, very windy, and a wildfire started nearby in the afternoon. I'm still not in the evac zone and the fire is moving away from my area, but the evac zones are getting alarming close. Currently it's burnt over 18k acres, 5% contained, and is spreading multiple directions in areas that haven't burnt in a long time. It's hard to sleep in a heat spell, but it's even harder since monday. Updates on my mods could slow down or end up stopping for a while.

Yikes. Definitely wishing you a ton of luck over there. Weather is no joke.
Thank you. Hopefully they get a hold of the fire soon.

Updated to 8.6​

• When going underground during an Invasion, it will cancel in 20 real-life seconds instead of instantly. It will also give a warning that the invasion can find you and will soon leave.
  • Potion stack sizes increased to 300.
  • Rarity of several items adjusted to a more accurate rarity.
  • Modded Battle Potions affecting invasions can now be set to affect vanilla invasions only and is now disabled by default. I decided to focus on boosting hard drops instead of changing invasion spawns, but you can still enable it if you want.
  • New "The Dutchman's Treasure" grab bag item drops from the 1st Flying Dutchman kill for each Pirate Invasion. It drops rare pirate items and 2 Gold Coins. Each item has a 20% chance of dropping; this is configurable.
  • Bugfix: Adjustments for rare pirate loot chances when dropped by Pirate Captain or Regular Pirates was incorrect, and was adjusted to match like vanilla.
  • Bugfix: Spawn rates were adjusting to an active invasion instead of whether the player is currently in an invasion.
  • Bugfix: Spawn rates were being adjusted for all players as a whole instead of for each player individually.

Last edited:
Well the fire is much more contained now. Mother nature gave a huge boost with a tropical storm this weekend. Eventually the fire was distant and today evacuations zones near our house are open now, so I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get evacuated. At this point I don't even see smoke (all though there is a lot of regular clouds).

Updated to 8.7​

• Namefix: "The Dutchman's Treasure" was missing an apostrophe.
  • Added functionality with Wikithis mod. With that mod installed, pressing an assigned hotkey on an item will open a Wiki page for it.
  • Removed the usage of recipe groups from a lot of recipes, that didn't need it. This will add more clarity when you see an icon of a needed item when looking up a recipe.
  • Gave Multi-Bobber Potion and Sleep Potion variants their own unique texture.

EDIT:​

Okay, for some reason it's not publishing (so the newest version isn't in the in-game Mod Browser), so I'll have to look into it. For now you can find the new 8.7 version of my mod here: link. The new version of my mod should have Multi-Bobber Potions that look like this:
1662963181517.png
and Sleep Potions that look like this:
1662963195865.png
, please let me know if it doesn't.

Last edited:

Updated to 8.8​

I considered advancing the quest amount some extra times when finishing a quest, but another idea that I've seen a few times is a custom quest shop. I like the idea from this one, where the shop uses a custom currency: link. I figured this would be more mod-compatible friendly. I did adjust when Guaranteed quest items are give though. At default settings, you still rely quite a bit on RNG, but after completing a bit of quests, you can buy what you're missing. Here's all the changes:
  • You can now adjust completed quest requirements for Guaranteed rewards are given. Default:
    • Fuzzy Carrot, 3 from 5
    • Angler Hat, 5 from 10
    • Angler Vest, 10 from 15
    • Angler Pants still 20
    • Golden Fishing Rod still 30.
  • Angler always resets their quest by default (was 0% Pre-Hardmode, 50% Hardmode, 50% Post-Plantera). Tip: having a Pylon Network combined will Teleports will make questing even faster.
  • 1 Fish Coin is rewarded for finishing a Quest by default.
  • New Fish Merchant, who spawns at the Angler when talking to him. Use Fish Coins to purchase Quest Reward items (these can be locked by vanilla requirements (for example, Hardmode). The item values for items by default mostly range from 10% to 20% the base rarity chance.
  • Will remove when 1.4.4 comes out for tModLoader: Angler has an extra chance to give furniture items. This chance increases are more quest rewards are done.
  • Multi Bobber Potion extra bobber amounts are now 1, 2, and 3 by default, and alternate bobber amounts for when using Calamity are removed (recipes are still altered when using Calamity).
I'M STILL NOT SEEING SIGNS OF MY MOD UPDATING IN THE IN-GAME BROWSER. HERE'S A LINK TO A COPY OF THE UDPATED MOD: LINK. I'M TRYING TO GET HELP WITH THIS ON DISCORD.

EDIT: I attached the updated version of my mod. Place it in "Documents\My Games\Terraria\tModLoader\Mods" to use.

EDIT: The issue has been solved.

Last edited:
I finally got my mod to update, thanks to Discord help on tModLoader. I uninstalled then reinstalled tModLoader and published for real this time.

NOTE: If you have my mod located at "Documents\My Games\Terraria\tModLoader\Mods", I would remove it, and re-install my mod through the in-game browser.

Updated to 8.9​

• Modified time rate increase while sleeping:
    • Disabled by default, but it can still be enabled in the configuration. Note: Time rate while sleeping is still x5 from vanilla mechanics.
    • Has been simplified. You can set the amount to increase for Pre-Hardmode, Hardmode, and Post-Plantera (this addition happens after Terraria multiplies time rate by 5). This also means Sleep Potion and Time Charm are removed.
    • Time rate increase was simply adding to the game's time; now it's running on a function that tModLoader has specifically for increasing time flow. This makes it not only more stable, but I was able to make it so it increases the time rate for tiles, events, and plant growth. I made it so it wont increase a player's tax timer rate beyond vanilla's x5.
  • Greater Battle Potion and Super Battle Potion's recipes will be disabled if settings for them are set to x1 for Spawn Rate and Max Spawns.
  • Bugfix: Creating a world after exiting another world save the previous world's custom mod data into the new world.
  • Bugfix: Slime Staff extra drop rate where being added twice for many slime variants. NOTE: Due to a bug in tModLoader, this will still happen until the next Stable release of tModLoader which should arrive after September.
  • Bugfix: Configuration for dropping Truffle Worm from Duke Fishron was creating 2 Truffle Worm drop chances instead of 1.

Updated to 8.9.1​

• Removed a custom save data that's no longer being used.

Last edited:

Updated to 8.10.1​

• Fishing Stuff (will remove when 1.4.4+ for tModLoader comes out):
    • Removed previous furniture mechanics for a new one. If a furniture item would drop from vanilla mechanics, the item will be swapped for 1 of the 3 quest reward potions before dropping. Afterward (whether or not furniture was swapped for a potion), this mod rolls for a furniture item (without potions) with 6 / 19 chance of failing (in pre-1.4.4 it was a 57 out of 70 chance or failing which gave a potion instead).
    • A bottomless bucket is guaranteed on the 25th quest completed (in addition to anything else that was rewarded).
  • Loot Drops
    • Instead of adding extra drops to enemies, this mod will now change the vanilla drop rate. This also means less Bestiary clutter and easier configuring.
    • Removed configuration Bloody Machete and Bladed Glove drop rates. Both will now drop from all enemies during Halloween instead of only weak enemies.
    • Terragrim no longer drops from Dev-Item dropping Boss Bags (it's now easier in World Generation below).
    • Removed Sandstorm in a Bottle Drop from Sand Elemental (there are now 1.4.4+ methods to obtaining it)
    • Tomb Crawlers and Dune Splicers no longer drop Sand or Fossils.
    • Oasis and Mirage Crates drop Sandstrom in a Bottle like in 1.4.4+
    • Flying Carpet from Oasis/Mirage Crates
    • Pirates
      • Removed configuration for all pirate drop rates except for Coin Gun from Flying Dutchman which is now the same as it is in 1.4.4+.
      • Drop rates for rare Pirate items are increased to the rates in 1.4.4+
      • Removed the Dutchman's Treasure.
  • World Generation
    • Instead of placing a set amount of Terragrims in random chests, each generated chest will have a chance to have a Terragrim placed inside it (default chance 1/75). This means larger worlds wont have a lower Terragrim to Chest ratio.
    • Terragrims will now be placed in any chest except for regular chest (the plain kind you see at surface level).
    • Will no longer insert missing Mushroom Chest exclusive items. Every Mushroom biome will now have a chance of generating a Mushroom Chest, then a Mushroom Chest is generated in a random Mushroom Biome with any Mushroom Chest exclusive items if they're still missing form the world.
    • Will no longer place a Sunflower or Ladybug Minecart in chests if they're missing from the world (new way to obtain them easier below).
  • Finch staff is no longer dropped by trees (new way of obtaining below).
  • Recipes
    • Recipes that mimic 1.4.4+ Shimmer Transmutation (at a Crystal Ball):
      • Sandstorm in a Bottle and Magic Carpet from Pharoah's Set.
      • Finch Staff from Living Wood Wand.
    • Pharoah's set from Sandstorm in a Bottle / Magic Carpet at a Crystal Ball.
    • 1.4.4+ Sandstorm in a Bottle / Blizzard in a Bottle from Cloud in a Bottle and Forbidden Fragment / Frost Core.
    • Leaf Wand to Sunflower Minecart at a Crystal Ball.
    • Sunflower Minecart to/from Ladybug Minecart at a Crystal Ball.

Last edited:
Hi, just stumbled on your mod. Loving it so far, but I've got a question - I've enabled the CraftableGoldCritters, but how do I go about crafting them? Thanks!

EDIT: I've found the recipe using the Recipe Browser mod. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey I had a question. It's been really hard to figure out since it feels like it just disappeared one time and I can't find any changelogs regarding it. Whatever happened to the Chlorophyte Accelerator? I'm certain it used to be part of this mod some time ago but I can't find mention of it being removed anywhere on the github changelogs or even in this thread. Chlorophyte mining is still a huge bother a lot of the time and it used to help out a ton, so I'm really wondering where it went, whether it was intentional, how long ago it was removed, etc?

Hey I had a question. It's been really hard to figure out since it feels like it just disappeared one time and I can't find any changelogs regarding it. Whatever happened to the Chlorophyte Accelerator? I'm certain it used to be part of this mod some time ago but I can't find mention of it being removed anywhere on the github changelogs or even in this thread. Chlorophyte mining is still a huge bother a lot of the time and it used to help out a ton, so I'm really wondering where it went, whether it was intentional, how long ago it was removed, etc?
When I migrated to 1.4, I tested out Chlorophyte Ore mining and noticed with Ancient Chisel and Slice of Cake and the Bars cost going from 6 to 5, it's a lot easier than before, so I ended up removing it. I'll add a configuration to set how many ores per bar in the next update.

When I migrated to 1.4, I tested out Chlorophyte Ore mining and noticed with Ancient Chisel and Slice of Cake and the Bars cost going from 6 to 5, it's a lot easier than before, so I ended up removing it. I'll add a configuration to set how many ores per bar in the next update.
While I appreciate the thought of that, I was definitely hoping for it to come back honestly, and a config to change how much ore per bar isn't really something I'd use. Its much easier/faster and much less destructive on the world to farm out some power cells from the temple and convert those to chlorophyte ore than it is to go mining in the jungle.

In my particular situation right now, playing a calamity playthrough with a friend, our jungle and ice biomes ended up overlapping severely which made finding chlorophyte annoying, and it made me realize that I missed having a more easy renewable chlorophyte method. If it were a world where I expected to spend a lot more time in (like if we decided on master or revengeance mode) then I'd probably have been fine just setting myself up a vanilla chlorophyte farm, but when you're at spawn and realize you've run out of one particular ore for like the fourth time in one playthrough, it starts to get annoying, since it's used for shroomite and spectre stuff as well.

While I appreciate the thought of that, I was definitely hoping for it to come back honestly, and a config to change how much ore per bar isn't really something I'd use. Its much easier/faster and much less destructive on the world to farm out some power cells from the temple and convert those to chlorophyte ore than it is to go mining in the jungle.

In my particular situation right now, playing a calamity playthrough with a friend, our jungle and ice biomes ended up overlapping severely which made finding chlorophyte annoying, and it made me realize that I missed having a more easy renewable chlorophyte method. If it were a world where I expected to spend a lot more time in (like if we decided on master or revengeance mode) then I'd probably have been fine just setting myself up a vanilla chlorophyte farm, but when you're at spawn and realize you've run out of one particular ore for like the fourth time in one playthrough, it starts to get annoying, since it's used for shroomite and spectre stuff as well.
I realized in 1.4.4 that I'd rather my mod be simplified, so although the tile was neat, I don't want to bring it back. I'll set it so you change the amount of bars you craft instead. So if you set it to 10000, you would get 2000 bars for 1 ore. I'm going to have my mod adjust the bar's value based on this.

Your ice biome colliding with the jungle is an abnormality though, in a vanilla world it Chlorophyte wouldn't be so hard to obtain. The colliding biomes sounds like a Calamity bug, so you should report it to them.

Is anyone have a problem with Bladed Gloves and Bloody Machetes always dropping when using the newest version of my mod (8.10.2) like in this bug report: link? Looking through my mod, the 2 items are only messed with in one tiny area of my mod, and I don't see any reason that it would drop with every enemy kill.

Last edited:

Updated to 8.11 (contains 1.4.4 spoilers)​

Any feature that is found in Terraria 1.4.4+ has will be removed when tModLoader updates to 1.4.4+
  • Added new Shimmering Star and Luminite Shimmering Star
    • Their both a crafting station that allows recipes similar to all 1.4.4 Shimmer Transmutations (excluding items that are only found in 1.4.4+).
    • Previous item decrafting will now use them instead of their previous crafting station (this works like decrafting in the Shimmer, but only 1 item can be given as a result).
    • Crate downgrading will now use them instead of their previous crafting station.
    • Previous recipes which will now use these tiles:
      • Living Leaf Wand to Sunflower Minecart
      • Sunflower Minecart to/from Ladybug Minecart
    • Shimmering Star can only be placed in an area similar to where the Aether is generated in 1.4.4+ (it will let you know the missing requirement on failed placement attempts). Luminite Shimmer Star is the same as Shimmering Star, except it doesn't have any placement restrictions.
  • Drops rates configurations adjusted (this needed to be done after switching from adding an extra drop, to changing a previous drop).
  • Empress of Light will always drop her Dye and in quantities of 3.
  • Other 1.4.4+ features:
    • Mechanic Sells Teleporter
    • Lunar Pillar Shield Health now uses 1.4.4+ mechanics (100 in all difficulties, 50 after Moon Lord)
    • Magic Mirror Recipe
    • Zoologist sells Digging Molecart at 35% Bestiary completion.
    • Natural Eclipse and Bloodmoons will reset the Sundial Cooldown.
    • All Chest / Crate / Obsidian Lock box drop chance changes (excluding changes to bars and ores).
  • Buffs from clickable furniture: Improved how they update and made it so they show up as an infinite buff instead of a buff with a timer that doesn't tick down.
  • Removed custom Battle Buffs affecting invasions. This can easily be used to cheese invasions and it's a very unstable feature. Note: If you can still skip evasions by hiding underground for 20 real-life seconds.
  • Enchanted Sundial configuration (off by default) will change it's drop rate instead of adding an extra drop chance.
  • (Off by default), added configuration to set how many bars are crafted when crafting Chlorophyte Bar.
  • Bugfix: Custom Mushroom chest was replacing Mushroom Pants / Shroomcart with the first common loot item.

Updated to 8.11.2​

• Bugfix: Shimmering Star was using Luminite Shimmering Star's recipe.
  • Bugfix: Moonball recipe couldn't be disabled.

Last edited:

Updated to 8.12.1​

• Improved Slime Staff value adjusting.
  • Removed ability to change amount of infection powder per mushroom (the Dryad sells them).
  • Removed ability to change amount of Chlorophyte Bar per ore. Now the Witchdoctor can be set to sell Chlorophyte Ore in the Jungle after beating Plantera, (off by default).
  • Holding an Eternia Crystal will skip the wait time between Old One's Army waves (will remove when tModLoader updates to 1.4.4+, which will allow right clicking the Stand to skip phases).
  • Added 1.4.4+ (will remove when tModLoader updates to 1.4.4+):
    • Most NPC drop changes.
    • Tavernkeep price reductions.
    • Recipe changes.
    • Item Value changes.
    • Merchant and Skeleton Merchant sells normal Healing Potions in hardmode.
    • Skeleton Merchant sells Surface Chest loot (Moon Phase dependent).
  • Bobber Potions:
    • 1st and 2nd tier is disabled by default.
    • 3rd tier's default bobber amount reduced from 3 extra to 2 extra.
    • 1st Tier Bobber now requires Masterbait instead of 3 tiers of critter baits.
    • If a Bobber Potion is disabled, it's crafting ingredients are added to the next tier's recipe.
  • Removed chance to drop King, Queen, Heart, Bomb, or Star statue from Wood, Iron, Gold crates and their hardmode variants. Now after vanilla world generation, all Gold Chest as far down as Lava Lake layers or more than halfway horizontally from Worldspawn to edge of the world will have a chance of having a King or Queen Statue placed inside. The chance is 1 out of 5 for each statue with a guaranteed placement for every 5 chest.
  • Removed color-themed dungeon furniture chance from Dungeon and Stockate crates. Now after vanilla world generation, each color-themed furniture that matches the world's dungeon color will be placed in Locked Chests in the Dungeon (it loops through all of the Chests until each has been placed). They come in stacks of 3 to 5. You can now swap their color at a Shimmering Star.
  • Bugfix: Value adjustments were incorrect after switching from extra drops to changed drops
  • Bugfix: Shimmering Star would tell you to place it under the Eastern Beach, even if it's supposed to be placed under the Western Beach.
  • Textfix: World Gen message wasn't quite accurate.

Updated to 8.12.2.1​

• Typo fix: "Lumanite Shimmering Star" changed to "Luminite Shimmering Star".
  • Minor Grammar fixes in Multi Bobber Potion/Buff variants.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom