Other Remove Blood and gore

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only reason I could see this not being an option is the amount of work reskinning and retheming all the things that are gore-themed that aren't necessarily gibs. It reminds me of World of Warcraft, where HUGE SWATHS of the game during Wrath of the Lich King (an EXTREEEMELY undead-themed expansion) had to be reskinned for the China release because of some law regarding the depiction of skeletons and bones and death in general.

But as an OPTION, as in, something you can choose to enable or not, if you completely disregard the amount of work that'd go into it, I don't see why not... but that opens up a huge can of worms for people to start asking for other 'options' to take out things THEY don't like. Such as an arachnophobe mode. Which, IMO, would be a LOT easier to implement that removing gore. Or an option to change the 'dirty joke' names for certain mobs or other objects. Or an option to remove the female Blood Moon dialogue.

Once one thing starts being optionally censored, where would it end? How many options are gonna end up in the menu for disabling this or that if the devs have to acquiesce to every person who finds some small aspect of the game offensive or triggering?

Adding an option should be easy enough to program; I am not really for this but I wouldn't really care if there was an option to remove it; or if they removed it entirely I wouldn't care either- I'd like it to be noted however that when you take out the gore/etc you're taking out some of the immersion and what I see to as "Consequence" of the action. I think it helps people understand what they are doing is obliterating a little rabbit that they felt like killing or that accidentally walked into someone while they were swinging their Axe. Again; I don't care for or about gore/blood in either fashion.

I however can support that an option could be added to reduce some more skittish people.

Oh, no. Noooo! What I've done!

Until now, I thought that I fight with plushies bubbling, splashing and squirting raspberry syrup.
In my opinion Terraria should have toggle option "Gore, blood - SOME/LOTS/OFF". Yes I said LOTS because I want even more intense experience (teh gibs). I understand that some people don't want to see them.
I support it, to make option for more gore!!!

My suggestion:
After complete off gore dying monster would disappear in animation similar to Cloud in Bottle.

Are you suggesting enemies drop even MORE heads?

This actually used to happen to Pirate Captains, who would gib multiple heads on death.
Sk1RTMo.png

But I like the blood and gore.
I want even more intense experience (teh gibs).
Personally, I find the gore to be comical and satisfying.
I'd hate if my Pirate Captain couldn't glitch and have his head explode into 5 different heads.
In fact I actually like the gore, exploding monsters are awesome.
I was playing Wolfenstein 3D when I was just a wee lad

Uh-huh.

Yeah, I'm never trusting these guys again.

I don't understand why gore is so disturbing to people. Maybe if it was more realistic. I'll even accept you being disturbed by gore IRL. But really? You're disturbed by pixels?

Yeah, I'm never trusting these guys again.
You once trusted me? Thanks, man. :happy:

In my defense: I've played a lot of violent games when I was a kid, but I also picked up snails off the road and put them back in the bushes and saved the drowning flies out of our inflatable swimming pool.
What I am saying here is that violent games don't make violent people. ;)

Maybe someone could make a texture pack which would make the gores less gross? (I don't really care about the exploding heads etc)
Someone could reskin the gores into something more less bloody. Just a suggestion for this.

You once trusted me? Thanks, man. :happy:

In my defense: I've played a lot of violent games when I was a kid, but I also picked up snails off the road and put them back in the bushes and saved the drowning flies out of our inflatable swimming pool.
What I am saying here is that violent games don't make violent people. ;)

Terraria was the first game I ever played with any gore. I grew up on Kirby and Mario, and I killed every fly, spider, and every other horrible creature I ever saw.

With acid. >=D

If all the blood and gore was to be removed from Terraria, that would basically, (Sorry for the Bluntness), It would pretty much rape terraria. The gore is what adds a level of fright to terraria and helps make it so fun and scary at times. How would the brain of cthulu look without its gore? It would be gone. Wall of Flesh? Gone. Eye of Cthulu? Gone. It would be completely stripped and those are not the only things that would be gone.

And it's just an OPTION so if we choose this option it will be disabled so we pretty much all win.

No, we don't all win. Turning off gore would require re-skinning an entire biome, along with its weapons and items, as well as the creation of new effects to replace the gore. This would consume valuable development time. Everyone who looked at the ESRB rating of the game knew there would be violence and blood when they bought the game, so for those of use who didn't have a problem with that, it is not a win-win situation.

I have nothing against games not having gore, but Terraria is not such a game. It is inherently gory and it is clear the developers meant it to be that way (e.g. "<charname>'s innards were turned into outards by Green Slime"). Personally I believe the game's creative vision would be ruined by the removal of gore. It's a game of Zombies and disembodied eyeballs - even entities which are usually portrayed in games as being kind or benevolent are violent murderers in Terraria (Unicorns, Faeries...).

The splatter when you strike an enemy looks to me like yet another particle system. If so, reducing that part of the grisliness would be very simple; just tweak a parameter or three and the droplets would become less plentiful, smaller, vanish faster, etc.

Whether this is something that should be done is another matter entirely. I mean, it's a game in which you use swords and stuff to hit things that are trying to kill you until they die. Having a giant eyeball with razor-sharp teeth poof into a smiley-face firework burst on death would, in a way, be creepier than a rain of icky giblets.

I wouldn't like to see realistic gore either but the silly, cartoonish violence in the game now is too unrealistic to bother me terribly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom