Sprites Rod of Discord revamp.

What you you think?

• Great idea, would really help out.

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • Eh, it's ok, but I think there's too many steps.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • No, I love grinding for hours, leave it be or die!

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters

The Storm

Golem
This suggestion has been fully implemented into my mod: tModLoader - Storm Diver's Additions and Changes

Hello again people, creatures and Derplings, I’m not sure if something like this has been posted before, but I’ll post this anyway.

Don’t you just love spending hours killing thousands of Chaos elementals just to get the infamous Rod of Discord? Well he is my suggestion on how to make it a less tedious task (Sort of):

Rod of wood:
n4506yB.png

Type: Crafting Material
Tooltip: “I know what you’re thinking”
Rarity: White
Sell: 50
Copper Coin dropped

Crafting: Palm Woodx30 @ Work Bench

Broken Rod of Discord:
o882zdo.png

Tooltip: “Seems to be lacking soul power”
Rarity: Purple
Sell: 1
Gold Coin dropped
Silver Coin dropped

Crafting:
n4506yB.png
x1 +
iDm5jnN.gif
x10 +
Crystal Shard item sprite
x30 + Soul of Lightx15 @ Mythril Anvil/Orichalcum Anvil

Rod of Discord
Rod of Discord item sprite

Crafting:
o882zdo.png
x1 + Soul of Mightx5 + Soul of Sightx5 + Soul of Frightx5 @ Mythril Anvil/Orichalcum Anvil

New Idea:

Chaos Shard:
iDm5jnN.gif

Tooltip: “Imbued with pure chaos”
Rarity: Pink
Sell
: 50
Silver Coin dropped

So these are what the Chaos Elementals drop, each one has a 15%/20% chance of dropping one of these, and the Chaos Elementals themselves no longer drop the rod.
Now once you have collected enough of these you can move on to the next step:

Rod of Discord
Rod of Discord item sprite

Crafting:
iDm5jnN.gif
x10 +
Crystal Shard item sprite
x30 + Soul of Lightx25 +
Hallowed Bar item sprite
x20 @ Mythril Anvil/Orichalcum Anvil

Now you may notice that you require hallowed bars to craft it now, meaning you must defeat a single Mechanical boss in order to get this item. I feel this is a good way of compensating for the fact that the rod can be obtained so much quicker now, as even though before it could be obtained right after killing the WoF, most people wouldn't get one until even after Golem.
Now here's a quick comparison from the current method
Before:
0.2% chance drop rate from Chaos Elemental: 500~ Kills to obtain, can be obtained right after activating Hardmode.

After:
10 Chaos shards with a 15%/20% drop rate: 66~/50~ Kills to obtain, requires a single Mechanical boss to be defeated.

As you can see this massively reduces the amount of Chaos Elementals you need to kill, but to make it not too easy to obtain I pushed it slightly further into the game's progression, but not by much. Anyway, it's not like anyone's gotten the rod pre-Mechanical boss anyway, unless you're really lucky.
So to summon all this up:
  • RoD now requires far fewer Chaos elemental kills, but can only be obtained post-Single Mechanical boss.
So what do you think, is this idea really great or really stupid?

Last edited:
I mean, you can just increase the Drop Rate. The Broken RoD is practically the same thing just a bit more annoying to use, so you really arent fixing the problem of it being "too powerful" (it really isn't)

The RoD wasn't really meant to be easily obtained since at the end of the day it's just great QoL and nothing more.

I mean, you can just increase the Drop Rate. The Broken RoD is practically the same thing just a bit more annoying to use, so you really arent fixing the problem of it being "too powerful" (it really isn't)

The RoD wasn't really meant to be easily obtained since at the end of the day it's just great QoL and nothing more.
I understand what you're saying, but where's the fun in simply increasing the drop rate? Also what if the Broken rod was just a crafting material instead?
And I don't mean to call it too powerful, it's just a very useful item and making it easier to obtain but making it obtained a little later balances it out, plus I only got my Rod post-Golem so on average it'll take less time to obtain.

I understand what you're saying, but where's the fun in simply increasing the drop rate? Also what if the Broken rod was just a crafting material instead?
And I don't mean to call it too powerful, it's just a very useful item and making it easier to obtain but making it obtained a little later balances it out, plus I only got my Rod post-Golem so on average it'll take less time to obtain.
The Rod of Wood is unnecessary; you could just use Pearlwood as a raw crafting material. For the Broken Rod; why would anybody logically build a broken tool? That's like if we had to craft the Broken Hero Sword; why not just craft an actual, functional sword?
Sometimes, the best solution is also the simplest.

I am the last :red:ing person that should be saying that.

What if the broken rod was dropped by the Chaos elementals instead, and you simply use the shards and souls to fix it?
(I only added all the other stuff as I wanted to make more sprites and a more advanced crafting tree) :dryadcry:
Although I really wouldn't mind crafting the Broken hero sword if it meant less RNG, which was what I was trying to do here.

Tell you what, I'll overhaul the crafting recipe tomorrow and ditch the 2 useless rods.

Last edited:
Ok since people really hate crafting, I decided to overhaul the recipe, no longer will you have to craft 2 useless rods, and instead you craft the rod directly with shards, but you need hallowed bars to do so.

I have an idea. Instead of only crafting you could say craft or drop.

Also the new RoD is to easy to optain. How about increasing it to a higher number. For example 100 or 90 required.

I have an idea. Instead of only crafting you could say craft or drop.

Also the new RoD is too easy to optain. How about increasing it to a higher number. For example 100 or 90 required.
I could make it require more shards or make the elemental have a lower chance to drop shards. And I do like the idea of keeping the old drop rate along side this new idea.

Hello, i really like the idea, and would love to implement it to my mod. Could i port the idea with the sprites to my mod? Would be Cool! :pinky::joy::rslime:
Sure go ahead, I have never modded Terraria before and am too lazy to do so, just credit me for the sprites and give me a link to it. :dryadhappy:

Added them in the mod, everthing works fine :D BTW, if ya want to watch Terraria Videos with no Voice, check out my Youtube Channel! Its named Qualiaty Hezer
Thanks, I'm assuming it's the Qualiaty mod :dryadsmile: looks interesting, I'll download and play around with it soon.

Back
Top Bottom