So... why won't this work? (Fishing)

Xylia

Terrarian
I for the life of me cannot figure out why this won't work.

I tried to make a Jungle Fishing area up in the sky, and my Depth Meter says "Surface", I get Jungle Music, I can catch Double Cods and Neon Tetras.... but the game absolutely refuses to give me the Mudfish and Catfish quest fishes.

79234FCDCE46DE0B5CE6A53EDA3423FE1AE84BFD

I caught over 200 fish, and no quest fish. I ran out of time on the Mudfish.

Next day, was the Catfish and I tried here for about 50 catches, still no quest fish and said "screw it" and went all the way over to the Jungle....

71A5BAAAB3C13FBE2A0EA21FE33C488D646DA03A

I caught the quest fish in this location, after 10 tries.

The only difference I can see is some 300 feet elevation. Jungle Music in both places, "Surface" reading on the Depth Meter both places.

This is annoying...

EDIT: I was gonna fill that bowl with Honey but given how the thing refuses to catch, I don't want to waste all of that time transporting honey if it ain't gonna work anyways.

I'll hazard a guess at saying that you're high up enough for it to be considered "sky" due to being at a floating island, so the quest fish probably doesn't appear due to being in a "sky jungle" but it will appear in the "surface jungle" it asks for.

I'll hazard a guess at saying that you're high up enough for it to be considered "sky" due to being at a floating island, so the quest fish probably doesn't appear due to being in a "sky jungle" but it will appear in the "surface jungle" it asks for.

That doesn't explain the Mudfish, though, unless the wiki is flat out wrong.

It says that Forest is the very last in the biome preference, AND it claims that Mudfish is "Any" Depth.

Did you accept the quest from the fisherman first? You have a much higher chance of getting the fish when you are on a quest.

It's most certainly something to do with elevation. I don't know the mechanics behind WHY, but it is clear that quest fish are pretty strictly divided by how high you can catch them, as the game has no way to decide what a "sky biome" is or the difference between corrupt blocks on the surface or those underground.

Gonna say the wiki's just wrong, here. All quest fish in sky territory are blacklisted to count the entire area, regardless of actual biome, as "the sky" and thus only pulls from that pool of quest fish. Normal fish are handled differently and more on a strictly biome basis.

That's my guess at it.

The game doesn't really handle the elevation thing to well. It also seemingly also doesn't handle the difference between the Caverns and underground Hallow very well either.

Can those fishes be caught in a lake? If (for some reason) it is not elevation, I wonder if it is because the size of the ... new surface of your world. There also may be the fact that the water body is cross biome (might not mean anything at all), or cloud blocks perhaps induce sky biome?

I am trying to do 2 glitches (duplication glitch and 80 quests per-day glitch) and I need the mud fish to do them but I just can’t get it!

Back
Top Bottom