Biomes & Nature [Sprites] -The Cyber- a worthy adversary for the Crimson

1.3 should be made without this, then there should be another update literally called "The Cyber Update" that is purely dedicated to adding the Cyber into the game. If it doesnt make it into the game at all, I will cry. For 2 weeks. And 2 days. And 2 hours. and 2 minutes. and 3 seconds. and 4 milliseconds. and 5 nanoseconds. and 2 picoseconds.

Crimson was added in 1.2 along with lots of other content, why should the Cyber be any different?

I want the Cyber as soon as 1.3 is out.
Yeah, and how long did 1.2 take? Over a year of development. Undoubtedly, the implementation of Crimson took a decent chunk (I'd put an estimate at at least a quarter) of that time. If they were to add Cyber in 1.3 the amount of time taken to finish off the update would likely shoot the release date into early 2015, assuming it isn't already there. It's already become clear that some people aren't that patient.

In the end though, it's really up to the devs.

Hey Zoomo I've known your suggestion for a long time but it is just now that I have read it throughly and I find it really interesting although there are some things bothering me like how you didn't quite develop the palette that is illustrating the robots and the environment, it all looks so generic and gray-scaled.
So I sprited this robot thing to show you what I mean, it could be more colorful:
HdDFhNC.gif
This is also a bad example because it's not futuristic looking but my points on the colors.

Also.. Cyan Ice xP

Also.. Flappy Bird

A lot of people have suggested that I make the colour pallete more diverse and I originally did experiment with that however I didn't like a lot of the results and I wanted the mobs to feel as streamlined as the rest of the biome, with only small deviations from the theme like the copbots padding and the welder and oiler. I may experiment more with the themes behind the mobs but I'm still not sure about revamps as I like the current designs. We'll see though. :dryadsmile:

i fail to see what you mean there... it looks totally out of place in terraria, like i said before, it's like putting Borderlands into something like CoD, putting a Cartoon-ish art-style into a Real-ish Art-style. Terraria has a nice, smooth like Art-style where As Starbound Has a Brighter more in-depth Art-style, which this Suggestion is sorta taking on, making it look totally out of place! The Hardmode bosses Aren't all in-depth like how starbound has its textures.

you know, :red: it, i'm not gonna bother going on with this, it's not even gonna lead anywhere.

in short, IMO, the suggestion is bad and the Art-style would be more suit'd for the likes of Starbound.

Edit: Also, "a worthy alt for the Crimson", An Alt of an Alt, gg.

I honestly do not see the resemblance between the two themes of starbound and my work. Starbound uses selective outlines, a different colour scheme, and far different shading and scale. I think that what you say about the mech bosses is because they are actually technically very flawed and crude. Since 1.2 pretty much all the sprites have raised to a greater quality and imo are a far better standard to base mine off of.

also as for the alt of an alt, I don't think you actually read the suggestion.:dryadgrin: I cleared that up in the title but seriously the first few paragraphs explain what it is, and it's not an alt to generate instead of the corruption or crimson.

A lot of people have suggested that I make the colour pallete more diverse and I originally did experiment with that however I didn't like a lot of the results and I wanted the mobs to feel as streamlined as the rest of the biome, with only small deviations from the theme like the copbots padding and the welder and oiler. I may experiment more with the themes behind the mobs but I'm still not sure about revamps as I like the current designs. We'll see though. :dryadsmile:
I concur- the design of the sprites works just fine for the intended purpose. It's a land of order, after all- of course the machines will all be uniform in color.

Yeah, and how long did 1.2 take? Over a year of development. Undoubtedly, the implementation of Crimson took a decent chunk (I'd put an estimate at at least a quarter) of that time.
The Crimson added about 40-50 items, 7 enemies, and 1 boss. 1.2 update contained about 1000 items, 125+ enemies, and 4 bosses. I doubt the Crimson was anywhere near the main cause for the length of time required for development, especially considering most of it (like the Cyber would be) was based on existing entities that are easily duplicated, such as existing weapon types and mob AIs.

Even if the cyber were to slow down development I don't see anything wrong isn't it better to receive great content than to be left with a faster sub par update?
Also Zoomo your mention of the weakness of the mechs sprites made me wonder perhaps the mechs could get a reskin for the type of metal in the world...
(yeah still not a fan of the ore replacement... iron, gold, and platinum are still valuable to me in hardmode and I don't want to loose them...)

Take a look at the original Megaman (1987)..
I concur- the design of the sprites works just fine for the intended purpose. It's a land of order, after all- of course the machines will all be uniform in color.
.. machines should not be all uniform in color, reasons behind this are: different parts, different materials, different shapes, different types. Even in a 'land of order' you still need an organization & a pyramid. Now if Zoomos' aim is a biome where every enemy resembles another without considerable variation in color | shape | material | parts | type , then I have nothing else to say but 'Good luck', because no one likes generic so I've heard.

Too be fair though, all underground hallow enemies share just two colours (pink and for the chaos elementals, purple), If you count overground they also use yellow, grey, bluish grey, bright yellow, and pink.
All corruption enemies share just two colours (light brown and greyish purple), three if you count the cursed flames, but they are projectiles and crimson also uses just three or four colours (red, greyish red, yellow, and white).
for comparison Cyber uses in total four colours (grey, cyan, coppery orange, and navy blue) putting it above the Corruption and tied with the Crimson. Yes Hallow has more colours but then it is the land of rainbows isn't it?

So at first I was like "ehh" but then i was like "ooh" and after that I was like "ahh" and now im like "Red pls"

Just some questions though
wyvern's will drop a core with a more frost-golem like name.
In the post you never actually said what it would be. Cores of flight?

The crimson/cyber alt for Souls of Blight
But PC doesnt even have Ocram, would it be added with this so in corruption worlds you can get souls of blight?

Durasteel Bar
q2Ec2tu.png

The Peacekeeper 100% (15-30)
These are now dropped by the mech bosses instead of hallowed bars
So, the bosses are now called the peacekeepers?

Banners
IkCXjuA.png
jfEXLqU.png
lj2K1GB.png
F5p3KSR.png
A4jvJLS.png
gP3hc85.png

The Peacekeeper 0.4%
Did you mean to have dropped from all the bosses? It seems weird that the Peacekeeper would get 6 different banners.

Other than that, this is an astoundingly good idea, and it gets my support.

So at first I was like "ehh" but then i was like "ooh" and after that I was like "ahh" and now im like "Red pls"

Just some questions though

In the post you never actually said what it would be. Cores of flight?

But PC doesnt even have Ocram, would it be added with this so in corruption worlds you can get souls of blight?

So, the bosses are now called the peacekeepers?

Did you mean to have dropped from all the bosses? It seems weird that the Peacekeeper would get 6 different banners.

Other than that, this is an astoundingly good idea, and it gets my support.

1. I'm not sure, I guess I was originally thinking they take Sky Cores but I'd say they can probably just keep Souls of Flight. Also maybe Sky Cores should float...

2. :p That's why I tell people to read my previous suggestions. In pc my idea is that they would be dropped by the Peacekeeper, an mech for the queen bee.

3. Typo I fixed it.

4. Also a typo and also fixed. :)

Too be fair though, all underground hallow enemies share just two colours (pink and for the chaos elementals, purple), If you count overground they also use yellow, grey, bluish grey, bright yellow, and pink.
All corruption enemies share just two colours (light brown and greyish purple), three if you count the cursed flames, but they are projectiles and crimson also uses just three or four colours (red, greyish red, yellow, and white).
for comparison Cyber uses in total four colours (grey, cyan, coppery orange, and navy blue) putting it above the Corruption and tied with the Crimson. Yes Hallow has more colours but then it is the land of rainbows isn't it?
The colours don't matter, it's the palette in it's entirety that matters, if you have purple, green and yellow you can't do poo, and you sure can do more with a light/dark yellow and a yellow:

-Corruption enemies(6)/environment (not including flowers/grass and mushrooms(not counting even in total)) counts 39 colours, now again not counting slimes & mummies (that would be 25 colors (64 colors total) this is here for the scale).

-Cyber enemies(8)/environment (not including flowers/grass and mushrooms(not counting even in total)) counts 37 colours (counting every enemy presented: 8), (not counting mummies didn't bother to make a total, it would be around 50).

Conclusion: 7/39 is more than 9/37, approximately 5.5 and 4.1, 5.5 - 4.1 = 1.4 color more, for each color in cyber, in corruption. You could use more colors, approx +1.5 more colors, just saiyan..

(37*0.5= ~18 ; add 18 more colors = '4 colors')

But that's just my opinion.

Oh. My. God. This Thread.

It is a huge and epic suggestion. Great idea, great sprites, great concept overall. I would really love to see this in a official terraria version in the future. It would be a lot of work for the developers, but it will be worth it.

Edit: I wonder how the music of the cyber would be with the typical terraria music style. I could imagine that a small touch of electro in some parts of the music would sound fitting.

Last edited:
If this does not get implemented into the game at some point i will be sad... anyways would there ever be a possability of such a thing as a test verion? you know like if you got into contact with modders and such?

The more i was thinking about the cyber, the more i thought about one major problem with this. The ore generates underground, right? Before, hallowed bars were renewable through killing mechs, but if ore spawns underground, there is only so much of it. This may restrict the possibility of getting enough ore to craft things made of it. I would fell much better about it if you A) made it act like chlorophyte and spread with the hallow/cyber, or B) change it back to the way it is in 1.2. Other than that, i would be really mad if this wasnt added.

The more i was thinking about the cyber, the more i thought about one major problem with this. The ore generates underground, right? Before, hallowed bars were renewable through killing mechs, but if ore spawns underground, there is only so much of it. This may restrict the possibility of getting enough ore to craft things made of it. I would fell much better about it if you A) made it act like chlorophyte and spread with the hallow/cyber, or B) change it back to the way it is in 1.2. Other than that, i would be really mad if this wasnt added.
It converts all earthly ores- I sincerely doubt that will be a problem given the sheer quantity of them.
The colours don't matter, it's the palette in it's entirety that matters, if you have purple, green and yellow you can't do poo, and you sure can do more with a light/dark yellow and a yellow:

-Corruption enemies(6)/environment (not including flowers/grass and mushrooms(not counting even in total)) counts 39 colours, now again not counting slimes & mummies (that would be 25 colors (64 colors total) this is here for the scale).

-Cyber enemies(8)/environment (not including flowers/grass and mushrooms(not counting even in total)) counts 37 colours (counting every enemy presented: 8), (not counting mummies didn't bother to make a total, it would be around 50).

Conclusion: 7/39 is more than 9/37, approximately 5.5 and 4.1, 5.5 - 4.1 = 1.4 color more, for each color in cyber, in corruption. You could use more colors, approx +1.5 more colors, just saiyan..

(37*0.5= ~18 ; add 18 more colors = '4 colors')

But that's just my opinion.
As an actual pixel artist I can tell you firsthand that Crimson has just as much color variety as Cyber- red. Everything is red. If it isn't red it's yellow, which in case you didn't know is a very close color. Cyber has primarily grays, but also incorporates cyan (which is on a very different side of the color spectrum, as grays have no hue, which puts them under red), a bit of yellow, and even some black. Whereas in Crimson literally everything is red. Red, pink, yellow. That's it.

Yes, Corruption has more color variety, but as zoomo stated, Hallow is not much better in that regard as all of its underground enemies follow the exact same color scheme- the surface is the only one with any sense of color variety.

Back
Top Bottom