Game Mechanics Suggestion To Keep Genders In The Character Creation

So, let's create a hypothetical scenario where I am a new player making a new character in 1.4.5. I want him to be a lad. I browse through the """styles""" to see which one I'd like. I happen to be fond of long coats and I spot a whole two of them on the creation screen. I proceed to pick the one outlined in red because both trenchcoats appear to have little to no difference between them. I then give my lad the manliest of all manly growls that the .5 will introduce into the creation screen.

Fast forward a bit and I am making new armor for myself. And, oh no, hwat's this? A battle bra? But why? And the answer is because it's covering a pair of breasts. Because my character turns out to actually be a lass. As is confirmed later by NPC dialog in picture 3. Now I have to procure a """style""" change potion to """style""" away his honkers.

You mentioned that the character creation change is to benefit us by providing more variety because of all the hurt sounds, but this is just confusing. You can add hurt sound choices without having to do away with genders which will just do nothing but obscure information from the player. Surely you're ought to see my point.

There's also the matter of NPC barks. While I'm sure you're not some kinda low effort hacks who would just leave them as is in .5 only adding more bewilderment to the gender obstruction decision and will actually change all these dialog lones to ambiguous ones, I offer you a perspective thar having NPCs refer to customizeable player characters as lads/lasses or young men/ladies or what have you is actually good attention to detail because using ambiguous language makes it seem like the player is some manner of amorphous unpercievable entity to the NPCs, which feels impersonal, unimmersive, and just downright lazy and soulless.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    252.7 KB · Views: 49
I agree with the last point. It would feel weird for the NPCs to use some other word than he when that CLEARLY makes sense. Why must we go to these lengths to avoid gender?

honestly I don't see much importance to add this
I don't even pay attention to character sprites much really
i've played terraria since I was 7
and guess when I learned that the dye trader was male and not female?
2 WEEKS AGO WHILST I WAS SEARCHING THROUGH BESTIARY ENTRIES AND SAW MALE PRONOUNS
if it took me over 7 years and being physically told by the game that they're male to notice that they're male
then it's probably not an important addition

honestly I don't see much importance to add this
I don't even pay attention to character sprites much really
i've played terraria since I was 7
and guess when I learned that the dye trader was male and not female?
2 WEEKS AGO WHILST I WAS SEARCHING THROUGH BESTIARY ENTRIES AND SAW MALE PRONOUNS
if it took me over 7 years and being physically told by the game that they're male to notice that they're male
then it's probably not an important addition
you literally proved why it IS important, so these things dont happen

I don’t see the issue when you can just craft a dresser from wood and nothing else to change your outfit for free.
We also don’t know what they’ll be doing with the pronouns. For all we know they could just be adding a new setting for that similarly to how other games do it on character creation, which basically just decouples it from the outfits rather than removing it altogether.
I don’t really see why we need to get up in arms over this when we know barely anything about this beyond a superficial level.

Last edited:
I'd be fine with allowing gender to stay in the game; I myself put absolutely no importance in gender but I know many other people who find it deeply important to their personal identity. I think we should try to appeal to everyone's preference on that front.

I haven't put much thought into how you'd accomplish keeping it in the game but making it optional, but maybe having some kind of toggle that categorizes each different style as masculine or feminine could help. I myself am greatly annoyed by gendered clothing stereotypes but I know some people who find it very important; I think a toggle is a good starting point.

I'd be fine with allowing gender to stay in the game; I myself put absolutely no importance in gender but I know many other people who find it deeply important to their personal identity. I think we should try to appeal to everyone's preference on that front.

I haven't put much thought into how you'd accomplish keeping it in the game but making it optional, but maybe having some kind of toggle that categorizes each different style as masculine or feminine could help. I myself am greatly annoyed by gendered clothing stereotypes but I know some people who find it very important; I think a toggle is a good starting point.
So basically, just decouple pronouns from the outfits and make both independently selectable. There, everyone’s happy.

So basically, just decouple pronouns from the outfits and make both independently selectable. There, everyone’s happy.
What I mean is that some people find value in knowing that how they look/act/dress is seen as masculine/feminine. I'm absolutely not one of those people, but there are a great many who are. Adding a toggle that makes a split down the middle of the outift selection and defines one side as masculine and one side as feminine might make a lot of people happy.

I'm not attached to that idea at all and personally think it's pretty sloppy, but all ideas start from somewhere.

What I mean is that some people find value in knowing that how they look/act/dress is seen as masculine/feminine. I'm absolutely not one of those people, but there are a great many who are. Adding a toggle that makes a split down the middle of the outift selection and defines one side as masculine and one side as feminine might make a lot of people happy.

I'm not attached to that idea at all and personally think it's pretty sloppy, but all ideas start from somewhere.
In that case I restate this:
I don’t see the issue when you can just craft a dresser from wood and nothing else to change your outfit for free.

I don’t see the issue when you can just craft a dresser from wood and nothing else to change your outfit for free
I like this. Add pronouns, hurt sounds, and body shape to the dresser. That sounds perfect.

I am aware that this removes the need for the potion; I see no issue with that.

Back
Top Bottom