Weapons & Equip Summoner Changes

neoselket

Ice Queen
Right now, summoners suck.

Yeah, summoners have to kill roughly 10000 slimes to get the weakest weapon possible. Then they have to kill the second hardest prehardmode boss, Queen bee, with no armor and one little slime. Then they use armor with less defense than gold to fight the Wall of flesh. Then they have to kill not only the three mech bosses with armor as defensive as platinum, but also Plantera, who gives them armor as defensive as mythril. Then, they use their mythril-tier armor to fight the pumpkin moon, where they get armor with even less defense than mythril. Oh, and then, if they kill the final boss with that they get the equivalent defense of orichalcum, which still sucks. These are my ideas to fix that.

First off, i would change summoner armor. Bee armor would have 20 defense, spider armor would have 32, tiki would have 45, spooky would have 42, and stardust armor would have 50. Seriously, summoners are little punchbags for the monsters right now. Also, i would add an armor they can use in earlygame.

Now, i can't take credit for this, as many other people have thought of this.

Slime helmet
2 defense
+5% minion damage
crafted with 25 gel at a solidifier

Slime chestplate
4 defense
+1 minion
crafted with 40 gel at a solidifier

Slime leggings
2 defense
+5% minion damage
crafted with 30 gel at a solidifier
set bonus: +10% minion damage
the slime staff would now be dropped by king slime, as well as having a 1/1000 chance to be dropped by slimes and a 1/10 chance to be dropped by pinky. It would also be craftable with 30 oink gel, 0 gel and 12 wood at a workbench.

And now, for something completely different. a new prefix.

Obedient: +1 minion

This is a prefix for summoner weapons that would allow one extra minion of that type.

Finally, mounts. some mounts can deal damage to enemies, so why not make them do summon damage?

Last edited:
It's an okay suggestion, but if you want to fix the entire summoner balancing issue, you're going to need more than just 1 early set of armor.

It's an okay suggestion, but if you want to fix the entire summoner balancing issue, you're going to need more than just 1 early set of armor.

that's why i increased the defense of all the other summoner armors, added a new prefix, and made mounts do summon damage.

I guess I'm okay with summoning stuff getting a buff, but summon armor and weapons aren't really meant to be used by themselves, you're supposed to use them with normal weapons. With summon armor you might not have the strength of other classes, but you get an army of minions to fight with you. Also, as awesome as the obedient prefix would be, it's just too overpowered as it would let anyone get 5 extra summons without sacrificing anything.

Considering that there are accessories that only add one minion, a prefix that does that would be way OP.
You would be able to obtain 17 minions...:eek: I would be ok with a prefix that increased minion knockback though

For Example...
Dutiful: +1% minion knockback
Obedient: +2% minion knockback
Amenable: +3% minion knockback
Subservant: +4% minion knockback

You would be able to obtain 17 minions...:eek: I would be ok with a prefix that increased minion knockback though

For Example...
Or damage. Minion damage is way underpowered.

For Example...
That would be next to useless to have on an accessory...

Or damage. Minion damage is way underpowered.
But there's already straight up damage modifiers, no one would use minion damage modifiers even if they gave more damage because they could use normal damage modifiers to increase the damage of their minions AND whatever weapon their using on the side.

good point, i'll change the prefix. and having 10 minions doesn't help much if you get squashed because you had to fight the moon lord with the equivalent defense of mythril armor.

That would be next to useless to have on an accessory...
True... I guess it isn't that useful

This may be going overboard for accessories, but how about this

Dutiful: +1% minion knockback, +1% minion damage
Obedient: +2% minion knockback, +1% minion damage
Amenable: +3% minion knockback, +2% minion damage
Subservant: +4% minion knockback, +2% minion damage

I didn't think it would be a good idea to go up to 4% damage and knockback, so I just made it up to 2% with a 4% knockback boost

Well, for the slime armor, how about have it cost about 100 gels and 3 silk (Head: 25 gel + 1 silk, Body: 45 gel + 1 silk, Legs: 30 gel + 1 silk), have maybe a defense of 6 (or whatever would make it balanced as a start-of-game/iron tier armor), and a set bonus of "Press Down twice to summon a single Baby Spiked Slime sentinel" Said spiked slime could do about 3 summon damage per hit with a fire rate somewhere between the Hornet and the Queen Spider. The chest piece could also grant +1 minion, if this isn't too imbalanced. This would make the first Summoner "weapon" actually be the armor itself, though you wouldn't be able to summon extras since it'd be a sentinel. (Making Summoner super unique from the get-go.)
(Maybe something like this?
68c36755a6.png
:3 )

I do agree they need more armors, maybe even more staffs. I love the Optic staff, and would love to see a Prime staff and Rumble Staff which would give you a mini-Skeletron Prime summon and a mini-Destroyer summon. The mini-destroyer would be the first real wormAI-esque summon, since the Stardust Dragon acts more like the Piranha from the Piranha gun, just with the ability to go through walls. :v

For armors, why not add a new helmet type to the Hallowed and Chlorophyte sets? "Hallowed Tiara" Defense 9, + 24% minion damage, set bonus: +3 Minions; "Chlorophyte Tiara" Defense 13, +38% minion damage, +3 Minions.
fc29968a73.png

We could also make the Buccaneer set into a Summoner set that gives you extra minions with the Pirate Staff, like the spider set does with the spider staff.

Oh, another idea, what if each minion you have out gave you extra defense, depending on which summon you're using? This could give some staffs a benefit over others, like maybe the Stardust Cell Staff would give you + 5 defense per minion, where as the Stardust Dragon would only net you +1 per segment (or maybe none at all? Balancing is tough. :v) Maybe the spider staff would give you a bonus .5 defense per spider when used with the spider set as opposed to being used with other sets.

I think summoner may be the weakest class, but there is one problem. Summoners are not supposed to have high defence because all they focus on is dodging. When you don't do anything but dodge, it makes having less defence much easier to deal with. Yes, the summoner is hard, but I have done many summoner only playthroughs. If you wan't to complain about the slime staff just get one and start with it.

I think summoner may be the weakest class, but there is one problem. Summoners are not supposed to have high defence because all they focus on is dodging. When you don't do anything but dodge, it makes having less defence much easier to deal with. Yes, the summoner is hard, but I have done many summoner only playthroughs. If you wan't to complain about the slime staff just get one and start with it.

you can't compensate for defense that low just by dodging. the survivability rate of summoners is WAY lower than melee or even magic and ranged.

Considering that there are accessories that only add one minion, a prefix that does that would be way OP.
Well, there is a Prefix that adds 20 mana.
[DOUBLEPOST=1437803572,1437803322][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well, for the slime armor, how about have it cost about 100 gels and 3 silk (Head: 25 gel + 1 silk, Body: 45 gel + 1 silk, Legs: 30 gel + 1 silk), have maybe a defense of 6 (or whatever would make it balanced as a start-of-game/iron tier armor), and a set bonus of "Press Down twice to summon a single Baby Spiked Slime sentinel" Said spiked slime could do about 3 summon damage per hit with a fire rate somewhere between the Hornet and the Queen Spider. The chest piece could also grant +1 minion, if this isn't too imbalanced. This would make the first Summoner "weapon" actually be the armor itself, though you wouldn't be able to summon extras since it'd be a sentinel. (Making Summoner super unique from the get-go.)
(Maybe something like this?
68c36755a6.png
:3 )

I do agree they need more armors, maybe even more staffs. I love the Optic staff, and would love to see a Prime staff and Rumble Staff which would give you a mini-Skeletron Prime summon and a mini-Destroyer summon. The mini-destroyer would be the first real wormAI-esque summon, since the Stardust Dragon acts more like the Piranha from the Piranha gun, just with the ability to go through walls. :v

For armors, why not add a new helmet type to the Hallowed and Chlorophyte sets? "Hallowed Tiara" Defense 9, + 24% minion damage, set bonus: +3 Minions; "Chlorophyte Tiara" Defense 13, +38% minion damage, +3 Minions.
fc29968a73.png

We could also make the Buccaneer set into a Summoner set that gives you extra minions with the Pirate Staff, like the spider set does with the spider staff.

Oh, another idea, what if each minion you have out gave you extra defense, depending on which summon you're using? This could give some staffs a benefit over others, like maybe the Stardust Cell Staff would give you + 5 defense per minion, where as the Stardust Dragon would only net you +1 per segment (or maybe none at all? Balancing is tough. :v) Maybe the spider staff would give you a bonus .5 defense per spider when used with the spider set as opposed to being used with other sets.
I think you should call it Crown instead of Tiara, and make them for all Hardmode ores.

Well, there is a Prefix that adds 20 mana.
20 mana isn't nearly as powerful as an extra minion though. For one, the player can already get up to 100 max mana naturally, and having 100 more from accessories is only 2x as much, compared to 6x as many minions if the player has 5 obedient accessories. You'd also have to actively use magic weapons to put that extra mana to use, while with extra minions you can just summon an army and be done with it until you log out or die. Also, an accessory that gives you 20+ mana is obtained from shadow orbs early in the game, while an accessory that gives you just one extra minion can't be obtained until you beat Plantera. Admittedly, that accessory was made before summoning was an actual class, back when it only had three weapons and one armor set... still though, 20 extra mana just doesn't compare to having an extra minion to help you out.

Back
Top Bottom