Tax collector rescue is not obvious enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was actually dumb enough to figure it out myself. "What purifies stuffs? Must be purified powder, no way this can go wrong". Turns out it didn't go wrong. Also it was pretty obvious it was an NPC as it dealt almost no damage and its Fighter AI acted very similiarly to a town NPC, that's where I figured out it was most likely an NPC.

Yet again, it's super obscure and it would be great to have a better directive on how to obtain it.

Yeah... truth is, after killing the Wall of Flesh I don't think I ever even bothered to go back to the underworld... there is nothing down there of interest... I had all the loot already... so I never even thought of going down there (picnic in the lava? lol) I am assuming that those tortured souls don't hang around on other levels?

... so what made you decide to go slumming down in the underworld after you killed the Wall of Flesh? You must have been looking for something?

My experience with the Tortured Soul was:
"This guy looks like the new NPC.... He is definitely the Tax Collector, but what do I do ಠ_ಠ?"
"Let me try killing him first, maybe that will free his soul or something.... No? Maybe i'll throw money at him next time"
Then that didn't work so I gave up and checked the wiki. Suffice to say I was not pleased with my forgetting the purification powder existed, especially having over 2k hours now x.x

Just expand the Guide's hints to include a hint regarding the Tortured Soul, with the word "purify" somewhere.
Bam. Problem solved.
I think the Guide's hints need to be expanded in general. Early on I always thought it was fun to be able to get pointed by him, get hints at something else new and interesting to find. After Hardmode that's totally gone.
It's kind of like a more direct version of the ominous messages like "You feel an evil presence watching you."

Yeah... truth is, after killing the Wall of Flesh I don't think I ever even bothered to go back to the underworld... there is nothing down there of interest... I had all the loot already... so I never even thought of going down there (picnic in the lava? lol) I am assuming that those tortured souls don't hang around on other levels?

... so what made you decide to go slumming down in the underworld after you killed the Wall of Flesh? You must have been looking for something?
Hardmode Ores spawn at crazy rates close to the underworld, you can also hallow/corrupt the underworld for Light/Night souls grinding.

It's the only clearly human enemy in the game. That should've been a huge giveaway alone.

I think the issue is that no other NPCs require you to interact with a monster to unlock them.
The Mechanic, Wizard, and Stylist just require you to click on them, which you will probably end up doing out of sheer curiosity, and other than that most NPCs will spawn naturally as you play the game and progress, or by doing things hinted at by dialogue or the guide's crafting recipes.

The Tax Collector requires you to use an item on a mob found in the underworld, which has no place in progression once the mob begins to spawn, and the item needed is very forgettable. Nothing else in Terraria requires you to do so, and it breaks the rule about how enemies should be killed, not purified with an item most people forgot existed.

Honestly, if the Dryad just said something about purification and the tortured soul, it'd be come naturally, since she's the one with the purification powder needed as well.

Why all the fuss about how the Tax Collector needs to be more noticeable for obtaining him?

He is in the game for sheer fun, not because he is necessary. I've said this three times, but people still think he needs to be more easily obtained or mentioned about in progression.

He gives you free gold, so making him easier to get or known by the other NPCs/being mentioned on how to aqcuire isn't needed. Why should you be given an easier chance of finding him, if you didn't know about him in the first place, if he gives FREE gold? Other games have these things called Easter Eggs, things not easily found unless you are just running around doing random shiz and come upon him/her/it. Look at Battefield; most people that find EE's usually talk about how they were just randomly doing things and found out how to do it.

Not everything needs to be found/obtained because not everything has a use. Free gold is awesome, but usually when you get the Tax Collector you are already obtaining gold like crazy.

I hammer demon alters then go spelunking the roof of hell as the mobs in hell are ez
[DOUBLEPOST=1437616820,1437616702][/DOUBLEPOST]
Why all the fuss about how the Tax Collector needs to be more noticeable for obtaining him?

He is in the game for sheer fun, not because he is necessary. I've said this three times, but people still think he needs to be more easily obtained or mentioned about in progression.

He gives you free gold, so making him easier to get or known by the other NPCs/being mentioned on how to aqcuire isn't needed. Why should you be given an easier chance of finding him, if you didn't know about him in the first place, if he gives FREE gold? Other games have these things called Easter Eggs, things not easily found unless you are just running around doing random shiz and come upon him/her/it. Look at Battefield; most people that find EE's usually talk about how they were just randomly doing things and found out how to do it.

Not everything needs to be found/obtained because not everything has a use. Free gold is awesome, but usually when you get the Tax Collector you are already obtaining gold like crazy.
Achievement hunters. If someone can't get all the achievements because of the obscure tax collector npc that could make someone frustrated.
But achievement hunters always check wikis for strategies in other games so idk

I'm not against more information given in-game for things like this but either way I'm not fussed, it's old school game design to put at least a few very well hidden secrets in your game, the idea is to give some players a kick in discovery or to bring the community together to share secrets.

About Miyamoto on designing The Legend of Zelda:

In the initial game designs, the player would start the game with the sword already in their inventory. According to Miyamoto, those in Japan were confused and had trouble finding their way through the multiple path dungeons. Rather than listening to the complaints, Miyamoto took away the sword, forcing players to communicate with each other and share their ideas to find the various secrets hidden in the game. - wikipedia
And here we are :) .....

I'd LIKE to say I'd have figured it out on my own as I'm pretty 'nook and cranny' in my games - but if I hadn't heard about this npc before release I wonder if I would have known tbh. I agree some sort of education should be in place to at least tease at it!

I'm not against more information given in-game for things like this but either way I'm not fussed, it's old school game design to put at least a few very well hidden secrets in your game, the idea is to give some players a kick in discovery or to bring the community together to share secrets.
And here we are :) .....
I think the issue is that it's a completely random thing that is not replicated in any other way in-game.
You expect things like these in games where... things like this happens several times, but the tax collector is the only NPC to require doing something like this in the whole game.

If you had already known about such a method to gain an NPC beforehand, such as by having to purify a clown to get a clown npc, with another NPC mentioning or hinting at this, I think that this would not be an issue anymore, since it would not be a completely "random" thing to do throw purification powder at seemingly humanoid mobs anymore.

I would have missed the Tax Collector completely if I hadn't been looking through the Wiki NPC list to see which ones I still needed to build houses for.
After hardmode began I didn't really spend enough time in the underworld to even get curious about the Tortured Soul...

Guide actually stop give you new advise long time ago,I don't remember when but I think he stop doing that after Hardmode was introduce.
Sure you need to find out everything by yourselves in Hardmode but thing like "using an item that most people don't care about on rare mob found in biome that don't have much content on it" without any kind of hint, there's less than 0% chance that someone would do it by an accident.

Terraria have many easter eggs. All of them except this npc need only luck. I think it should be change now.

There's an achievement about have every possible npc in the world at the same time,and I don't count those money he's collect worthless because those money may save me sometime when I lost all my money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom