Member-Run Project Terrae Opus

Commander Crocket

Official Terrarian

XkwTPV0.png
divider.png

-- Terrae: plural form of Terra (Earth) -|- Opus: artistic work, especially one on a large scale --
divider.png

Greetings fellow Terrarians, and welcome to Terrae Opus, an ambitious project that aims to become a mouthpiece for the members of our beloved community, while serving as a conduit to their abilities and allowing them to tap into their latent potential. Here, one is able to enjoy a subtle amalgamation of a variety of works, ranging across the realms of fact, fiction, lore and literature, on a bi-monthly basis. Whilst the majority of the entries submitted to this literature project will be based around Terraria, we also plan to feature the best of the fanfiction pool to ultimately give authors the recognition they deserve.

To provide structure and form to the article for the convenience of both ourselves and our readers, our planned segments will be made public, and will be posted below.

kdcROYP.png

Index of Segments

• Biomes - Delving into the individual environments of each biome, and the native flora and fauna, with a brief description of their characteristics.

• Potions - Their appearances, consistencies, tastes, and miscellaneous uses.
└➞ [Sub-Segment] - Brewing Blunders - A satirical analysis of experimental potions that have yet to enter widespread use, managed by the one and only Baconfry.​

• NPCs - Introducing the myriad of deuteragonists that accompany the player, while exploring their unique appearances, interests and personalities.

• Minerals - The origins, rarities and physical attributes of the ores and gemstones found in the plethora of underground systems.

• Equipment and Weaponry - Taking a step further into given information regarding both equipment and weaponry, with information on statistics, origin, and more.

• Knowledge of the Arcane - Explaining the origins of Mana, and methods in which it can be utilised.

• Terraria: A History - Exploring origin stories and other lore concerning the world of Terraria

• Short Story - A tale written by our writers to conclude each edition of Terrae Opus, one filled with humour, action, tragedy, and depth.

• Interview - An exclusive cross-examination of prominent members of the community.

• Comic Corner - A regular comic page illustrated by our resident cartoonist DeltaVii to conclude the former half of each entry on a light-hearted note.

kdcROYP.png

Beginning from Entry 2, we will also include a selection of community segments. We encourage you to submit your content to us, with the sole prerequisite that they fulfil and do not contravene the general forum rules.

Community Segments

Artwork - An exhibition of canvases from our community's budding artists.

Builds Showcase - Presenting the builds made by members of our community, with added commentary.

Literature - Spotlighting the authors of the community, complete with their literary works.

kdcROYP.png

Meet The Team

In the following section, you will have an opportunity to both meet and gain insight into the personalities and writing styles of the writers that work tirelessly to output quality content to the masses.
divider.png

[B]Commander Crocket[/B]: Creator, Founder, Absent-Minded Scholar, Preacher of MeeM, .gif Maniac, Hater of the “E” key

“Greetings and salutations to all! Those of you who are aware of my presence on these forums, should know all too well who I am, and what I represent. For those of you that are yet to be graced with the knowledge of my existence, I hereby extend a formal invitation to the rest of this paragraph, and by proxy, to the remainder of this segment.

To summarise myself in as few words as possible, I am an articulate and brusque, yet friendly and approachable person that takes pleasure in all forms of written communication with others, especially scientific writing. Do not let this deceive or otherwise deter you, however; much to the dismay of family members, friends, and fellow forum-dwellers alike, I make a note to both retain and maintain a healthy sense of humour.

So without further ado, I present to you the remainder of the faithful cast in our grand scheme of events!”

divider.png
[B]Derunih[/B]: TCF Writer, Bored Rambler, Creator of the Unusual, That Creepy Writer

“I am that creepy one known as Derunih! Newish to TCF, I am sure some of you have seen me around anyway, due to the growing popularity of my other works. From the mysterious land of Australia, I send you my wackiness over the internet, and watch in glee as it is received.

I write about things mystical and arcane, finding an explanation which both has yet to be discovered, but also makes perfect sense. I do my best to tiptoe the line between conjecture and pure fantastical imagination~”

divider.png

[B]Baconfry[/B]: TCF Writer; Self-explanatory

“deez nuts”
kdcROYP.png

The Archive

Below is a list of all of our published entries. We aim to release each publication bi-monthly; we feel that this is necessary in order to ensure that the quality of the of the included content is as flawless as possible, though as always, this is subject to change.

-- Entry 1 --

divider.png

Subscribed Users

@Kalifox
@Nitramster
@Sloth TDT

divider.png

Criticism is always appreciated, as it helps us form a rough idea of what you, the reader, prefer to read and see. If you have any suggestions, feel free to leave a comment below, tagging myself. Thank you for reading, and enjoy!

Last edited:
XkwTPV0.png

divider.png

Greetings once again, fellow Terrarians! I, Commander Crocket, present to you, the first ever entry of my first significant project, Terrae Opus. Throughout each entry, myself and my hand-picked troupe of skilled writers will collaborate, and endeavour to develop and fine tune this and any subsequent entries to provide you, the humble reader, with the best possible reading experience. Each entry promises to inform and impress the reader with its expansive vocabulary and its minute attention to detail, in the hopes that they learn something new. Without further ado, we present to you, the humble reader, the first edition of Terrae Opus!

kdcROYP.png

-- Entry 1 --

kdcROYP.png

BiomeBannerForest.png

divider.png

Biomes - [The Forest]

The Forest biome, also known as the Purity, will originally be the most common surface biome and, in most cases, the very first biome a player will encounter upon initially entering a world.

divider.png

Characteristics

Characteristic of this biome is the abundance of dirt, the green grass that grows on said dirt, and the Daybloom, Yellow Marigolds, mushrooms, trees and occasionally, the sunflowers that grow alongside it. During the autumnal equinox, Pumpkins may also sprout and grow. Several lakes are dotted around its surface, some small and shallow, others larger and deeper. The terrain is, for the most part, level, though hills, overhangs, pits and entrances to caverns may also be present at the surface. Lower tier ores such as Copper and Tin may also be present.

divider.png

Native Inhabitants

The daytime fauna encompasses critters such as bunnies, birds, ducks and butterflies, which are all inherently non-hostile, as well as slimes, primarily the green and blue varieties. Slimes are not initially hostile, but will not hesitate to pursue their aggressors if attacked, a behaviour shared by the vast majority of the members in its genus.

However, the night-time fauna are a different matter entirely, and are far more sinister. With the exception of fireflies, every nocturnal creature is naturally hostile. Their ranks include the likes of a vast assortment of Zombies and Demon Eyes, each with subtle differences in their appearances, drops and statistics, which include their health, damage, defense and vitality.

kdcROYP.png

Alchemy_Table_%28placed%29.gif
Ironskin_Potion.png
Ironskin_Potion.png

divider.png

Potions - [The Ironskin Potion]

The Ironskin potion is a yellow potion, consisting of a liquid with the consistency of molten metal. When ingested, one may encounter a slightly bitter, ferrous taste, not unlike that of blood. Its most prominent effect is the hardening of the skin and/or hide of the consumer, thus increasing both their resistance and resilience to enemy attacks.

divider.png

Recipe

This potion is created with a basic set of ingredients, of which are considerably easy to obtain, assuming one knows where to search.

- 1x Bottled Water
- 1x Iron Ore | NB: Lead Ore may be used as an alternative
- 1x Daybloom

Bottled Water is a universal base, one required for the concoction of most potions; it provides a medium for the ingredients to converge and express their effects, one that is easy to contain and store.

A fragment of iron or lead ore serves as the binding ingredient, and is the main agent responsible for the defensive increase of the consumer. The final ingredient of the Ironskin potion is a single Daybloom plant. The petals of the Daybloom plant are what grant the Ironskin potion its distinctive colour. One must make sure to utilise the entire herb, as this will aid in the complete nullification of the toxicities of the transition metals used - iron, while an essential mineral in the body, can cause issues when consumed in high enough concentrations, while lead is a neurotoxic, and is thus lethal in far smaller quantities.

divider.png

Effects

Upon consumption, this potion will increase the defense stat of the player by 8 for a total of five minutes, effectively reducing any damage taken by a total of 4. Thus, this is a recommended potion for any situation, though it excels in scenarios where survival is paramount, primarily in boss encounters, invasions and other such events.

divider.png

divider.png

Alchemy_Table_%28placed%29.gif
Bone.png
Flask_of_Poison.png
Bone.png

divider.png

Brewing Blunders

The crafting of potions is a precise art, and as such, many questions have been asked regarding its finer points. “Who came up with the original recipes for these potions?” “Why do we use the ingredients we use?” “Who discovered them?” And most importantly of all:

“Who tested them?”

One can only imagine the horrible fates that befell those unfortunate souls who took a drink of the first attempt at an Ironskin Potion. I imagine that that must have been one of the few cases when rigor mortis preceded death. It is believed that early versions of the Rage Potion led to permanent insanity, and those who tasted the first Gravitation Potion… for all we know, their freeze-dried corpses are still careening through interstellar space to this day.

Thankfully, there’s no need for wild alchemical guesswork today, since the recipes for most major potions are well-established and virtually impossible to screw up. The spirit of adventure still lives on, however, and through a little experimentation, we have synthesized a few brews that, while not exactly practical, aren't particularly dangerous either, and could be used for a variety of purposes, such as pranks or party jokes. Have fun!

divider.png

Goosebumps Potion

Recipe

- 1x Bottled Water
- 1x Shiverthorn
- 1x Feather

As you can guess from the name, this one gives goosebumps to whoever drinks it for 5 minutes. I can personally attest, the novelty wears off pretty quickly, but it could be a fun thing to spike punch bowls with at frat parties. (But who would be dumb enough to drink out of a punch bowl at a frat party?)

The effect becomes much funnier when used while wearing a Moon Charm.

divider.png

Gas Potion

Recipe

- 1x Bottled Water
- 1x Variegated Lardfish
- 1x Deathweed

Secondary metabolites in the Deathweed react with the fatty acid-rich flesh of the Lardfish to create a compound that cannot be broken down by human digestion, and is instead fermented by the natural bacteria in the gut. This produces a lot of gas. A LOT.

For an even more intense experience, try adding a pinch of Fireblossom petals, for a re-enactment of Johnny Cash’s hit single, ‘Ring of Fire’.

divider.png

Blabbermouth Potion

Recipe

- 1x Bottled Water
- 1x Blinkroot
- 1x Fireblossom
- 1x Frog

Having tried this potion myself, I would highly recommend it for anyone who struggles with introversion since it reduces inhibitions and makes it possible to continue speech eloquently and smoothly and you get an entire five minutes to express yourself in a way you would normally never achieve due to the ordinary reservation you have around strangers and even people you know well and the words pour forth like fluid out of an irritated bowel and you end up using vocabulary you thought you had forgotten years ago and it’s really marvellous, the potential it unlocks in your brain, you might go off-topic a bit but it’s not really that big a deal, and the taste is surprisingly good, it’s like somewhat tropical with a sweet tang at the end but it starts with a sort of refined savoury bitterness, and you think those two tastes wouldn't really go well together, but they do, you just have to trust me, and within seconds your mind just sort of awakens and grasps onto any topic that comes to mind, anything at all, and I'm sure it has a bright future in the field of psychology as an agent that makes verbal data collection much easier for those who practice Freudian psychology which is based heavily on the process of free association, in which people just talk about anything and everything that comes to mind even before the brain has the chance to say “wait, no, I don’t really want to say that” but it’s too late and you've already said it but don’t worry, it’s strictly confidential, I promise, I mean we promise, not saying that I'm a psychologist myself, but I feel like I've the right to use the word “we” since I'm providing an introduction to the field, and besides it’s not like I'm not open to the field of psychology, it’s really a wonderful field, and I'm sure those who choose to major in it or even take one class in it will go through life with a new perspective about themselves and others, but that’s not what I really meant to get into, all I meant to say was that anything you reveal in a therapy session will remain strictly confidential unless of course you say something like you’re threatening to perform a major crime and it’s reasonable to believe that you have the means to do so, but of course it’s ridiculous to talk about this since it’s unlikely that anyone who attends a therapy session will actually be a criminal, especially not any of our faithful readers, but of course you know what they say, it’s better to be safe than sorry, where was I, ah yes, you drink this once and it will lead to the elimination of those horrible awkward pauses that plague every potential social scenario, and I don’t know about you guys, but I think no one really appreciates ketchup enough, it goes so well with things you never thought it would go well with, and honestly, people look at me funny when I tell them I eat ketchup by itself, but of course they’re unenlightened fools, because ketchup is the god of sauces, it has like every good flavour in it, it’s sweet, salty, sour, savory, and people are always so strict about dipping the chicken nuggets in barbecue sauce and the fries in the ketchup and if they mess up they’re like “oh no, my entire fast-food experience has been desecrated because SOCIAL CONVENTION requires me to accurately dunk the chicken nuggets in the barbecue sauce and to do otherwise would be a travesty, what have I done, I feel like a fraud, this poor chicken nugget will never reach its full potential and I only have myself to blame” and that just sounds like you have no idea how to enjoy life and be spontaneous and dip your chicken nuggets in ketchup, although I admit that there are some things you really shouldn’t be dipping in ketchup, like strawberries, but I wouldn't know and I’ve never tried it mainly because I don’t like strawberries and I never did like them ever since I was a kid since we used to have this strawberry plant in our front yard, and I think I liked strawberries back then, but snails would always eat the strawberries before they were ripe, and you’d always have the constant fear of picking a strawberry and there would be this slimy abomination on it, and I'm not sure but I think that’s why I have a phobia of snails that persists to this day, as well as an aversion to strawberries, and of course I’m classifying it as a phobia because it affects my daily life as per the clinical definition of a phobia, I'm mortified of the nasty creatures, I never walk outside right after it rains, I tape over the pictures of snails in my biology textbooks, but the weirdest thing is that it’s just land snails, sea snails don’t bother me, and there are some really badass sea snails out there, like the cone snail, which can stab you with a venomous spine and kill you in minutes, and I’m sure that might bother me a little bit if I got stabbed except I still find cone snails less terrifying than the average land snail and it’s unreasonable but a phobia was never meant to be reasonable, anyways there’s one sea snail we can all share a positive opinion on, and it’s called the triton trumpet snail, and it’s huge, and it eats crown-of-thorns-starfish, which are like the cane toads of the ocean, and that really helps for coral preservation because those horrible starfish vomit their guts out on coral and bleach them to death and they’re just ruthless and savage but they get eaten by triton trumpet snails who really don’t give a damn about their stupid spines and they casually insert a drinking straw into them and suck their guts out, and I know I said that I don’t mind sea snails, but I actually mind them a little bit maybe, like when I’m tidepooling on a field trip I tend to leave the periwinkles alone and for some reason there’s a sea slug called the sea hare that really grosses me out but other sea slugs are really cool and they come in all sorts of fabulous colors and some of them do booty dances, the official name for them is nudibranchs, the problem is that they’re not really good to eat since most of them will poison you, but from my experience sea snails can be quite delicious, I had barbecued whelk at a picnic once and it wasn’t so bad if you kept your eyes tightly shut and didn’t think about what you were eating, but it’s kind of like well-seasoned squid and I wouldn’t mind having another, it’s not as slimy as okra, and another weird thing is that freshwater snails are only slightly less scary to me than land snails, and it would be stupid for my brain to make the distinction between saltwater and freshwater since the only difference, well the main difference, is the osmotic situation the organisms have to face, and I doubt that there’s anything remotely terrifying about cellular-level membrane protein function but I really don’t know how my brain works, and the horrible thing about my phobia is that I’ve never met someone who had the same phobia and there isn’t even a fancy Latin name for it because everyone’s so mainstream with their fear of spiders and snakes and heights and no one cares about the bottom crawlers and they laugh at me, mainly because my name is shared with probably the most famous fictional snail in existence and they think it’s hella ironic and of course they’d never know, they’ve never had the same nightmares, and if they saw a Giant African Snail up close they’d freak out too, have you seen the size of those things, they’re so warty and gross, I’d almost rather Google Image search “flesh eating bacteria” than “giant african snail”, it probably sounds like a really girlish phobia to have, by the way don’t perform any of those image searches if you value your sanity, but anyways people are right to call me girlish sometimes, because I’m at least somewhat conscious of my diet and I don’t watch sports but they shouldn’t be calling that girlish and dismissing it when it’s the smart thing to do and they can just feel all smug and content when they’re making poor decisions for their health, and you know, being girlish isn’t all that bad, in fact it might be nice to be a girl, not just because I’d have lady parts, but because at least among my community, females tend to be the more refined sex, and I happen to be learning Japanese, which is a language that sounds better spoken by females, at least in my opinion, with the exception of the voice actress who does Nonon Jakuzure, I mean seriously, how do you listen to that voice without feeling the urge to rip your ears out, I do wish she would shut up, how much rambling can a person be expected to tolerate...

Wall of Text has awoken!

divider.png

kdcROYP.png

Guide.png
Book.png

divider.png

NPCs - [The Guide]

The Guide, whose names vary from Kevin to Andrew, is the first NPC the player will encounter, one made notorious among the community by his habit of opening doors at inconvenient intervals. He is well-mannered and punctual, though harbours a secret fear of the occult.

divider.png

Appearance

The Guide is most commonly seen wearing a grey shirt, a pair of blue denim jeans, and a pair of black shoes. His eyes are dark brown, as is his hair, albeit a lighter shade of it. His hairstyle is reminiscent of a front quiff, and his skin is tanned to a degree. Overall, his appearance could be described as ordinary, with no notable or outstanding features.

divider.png

Uses

The Guide’s primary use lies in his principal dealing; information. He is able to provide tips and other useful information for early-to-midgame progress, while being able to cite all of the possible crafting recipes attributed to a given material.

divider.png

Personality

Passive, aloof and astute, the Guide is a silent companion, in the sense that he prefers not to speak unless spoken to prior to initiating conversation. He tends toward not taking sides in the event of conflict or crisis. His predisposition towards neutrality stems from his years of experience in the field of guiding and welcoming newcomers.

Friendly and approachable, he functions as the voice of reason within his social circles. Rumours suggest that he appears to harbour some form of a crush on the Nurse, one further emphasised by his inability to form words correctly whilst in her presence. However, he has yet to openly declare his affections, due to his resentment of the thought of rejection.

divider.png

kdcROYP.png

Copper_Ore.png
Lead_Anvil.png
Tin_Ore.png

divider.png

Minerals - [Copper and Tin]
Appearance and Characteristics

Copper is essential for all animal and plant life, though is toxic in high concentrations. It is malleable, ductile, and an excellent conductor of heat and electricity. It possesses a red-orange metallic luster, though tarnishes to a dull brown colour if exposed to air. In Terraria, copper ore exists in the form of Cuprite.

Tin is generally considered to be non-toxic, though the vast majority of salts it forms are indeed toxic. It possesses a silvery-white appearance, and is both soft and malleable. It possesses a polishable surface, and its ore exists in the form of Cassiterite.

Both copper and tin ore can be found sporadically on the surface, as well as in the Underground and Cavern biomes.

divider.png

Usage

Copper and Tin are the most easily obtained ores, and as such, their primary usage lies in smelting their ores into their respective bars, and subsequently utilising said bars to create their respective sets of armour and equipment. Both minerals are alternatives to each other; only one of the pair will be spawned during world creation. They yield the weakest sets of equipment, though tin equipment is slightly superior, possessing certain subtle advantages over copper equipment.

The ores of either metal, along with a stone block, may be used to craft bricks at a furnace, and plating at a heavy work bench, both of which can be utilised in construction.

kdcROYP.png

Turtle_Scale_Mail.png
Wooden_Sword.png

divider.png

Equipment and Weaponry - [Turtle Armour]
The Turtle Armour set is a highly coveted set of melee-specific armour operating around the sound principle that the best offence lies within a good defense. It is comprised of two ingredients, Turtle Shells and Chlorophyte Bars, both of which can be found in the Jungle biome, dropped by Giant Tortoises and found sporadically alongside Mud Blocks, respectively. Individually, these materials exceed most preceding materials in terms of toughness. However, when they are combined, the Chlorophyte quickly adopts the qualities of the Turtle Shells and the Giant Tortoises that once inhabited them, both assuming and augmenting its already respectable resilience; this results in a near-indestructible set of armour, surpassed only by few in terms of the defense a full set bestows, an astoundingly large 65.

When a full set of Turtle Armour is equipped, any enemies that make physical contact with the player will be inflicted with the full amount of damage they would have inflicted on the player, ignoring their current defense. This combination of its offensive potential coupled with the innately defensive nature of its constituents results in a very effective set of combat armour, encouraging a style of play with a near-perfect synergy of offense and defense, where little of one is sacrificed for the other. Assuming that the player hasn’t equipped any vanity clothing or armour in their middle 'Social' slot, a turtle shell will appear on their back, a quality it shares with other weapons and accessories, including the Leaf Blower and the Heat Ray.

The process of gathering ingredients for Turtle Armour is infamously tedious, for although every Giant Tortoise possesses a perfectly usable carapace, it is extremely difficult to slay a Tortoise in a way that doesn’t damage the shell, rendering it unfit for use in the creation of armor. The task can be compared to extracting the meat from a walnut using a fifty-pound sledgehammer, which would be challenging enough even if this cultivar of walnut didn’t have the annoying habit of leaping into the air and crushing people to death.

As a result, most shells extracted from Giant Tortoise carcasses are either chipped with sword cuts, dented by bullets, or otherwise denatured due to residual magical energy. Only 5% are considered fit for use in high-quality Turtle Armor. As for the remaining 95%? I hear that after being sanded down, they make for remarkably good Frisbees.

divider.png

kdcROYP.png

Bee_Wax.png
Hornet.png

divider.png

Knowledge of the Arcane - [The Hornet Staff]

Often the first summoning weapon available to the minion-inclined, the Hornet Staff is often overlooked in favour of more potent additions to the player’s arsenal. However, having even a single minion to fight by your side is an order of magnitude better than no minion(s) at all. Thus, it is highly recommended to craft one as soon as possible.

divider.png

Recipe

- 14 x Bee Wax

Surprisingly, the materials for the resulting Staff are rather simple: fourteen fragments of soft and malleable high quality Bee Wax. These can only be found in the possession of a Queen Bee; defeating but one of these regal insects should yield a sufficient quantity of Wax, while also leaving behind an excess.

divider.png

Method

Take five fragments of Bee Wax, and lay them in a circle atop an Anvil of any make or material. Using the palms of your hands, knead the soft wax, using a similar technique to what one would use to prepare dough. Shape them into a set of five petals, each of an equal size and shape.

To connect these, take one of the pieces of Wax, and split it in two, rolling one of the halves into a short cylinder, with a diameter of approximately one inch. Press the ends of the petals into the cylinder, taking extra care not to deform their structures. Use the other half to form a ball, and place it precisely in the middle of the arrangement of petals. This completes the head of the Staff.

Two more pieces of Wax are then formed into two leaves. These require less effort in that they do not need to be too detailed; a simple flat and ovoid structure will suffice, though each should be longer than an individual Petal. Attach these to the bottom of the Head, in a similar fashion to how the Petals were applied to the top. The shaft of the Staff is exceedingly simple to produce, only requiring that the remaining six pieces are combined and rolled into a single cylinder, of the same diameter as the cylinder that comprises the Head of the Staff, before placing the Head of the Staff over the shaft and applying gentle pressure. Assuming that all fragments of Wax are sufficiently bound to one another, we are ready to proceed to the final step.

To finish, one will need to weave but a sliver of Mana into the finished Staff. In doing so, one may encounter the lingering essence of the Queen Bee’s command over her hive, one which you are to subvert by asserting your will over it. Successfully doing so will trigger a reaction in the Wax, causing changes specific to each section: The shaft will harden, the leaves will turn green, and the petals will become more resilient and adopt a silky texture, resembling the flowers that once provided the nectar necessary for the production of honey. The Hornet Staff is now complete.

divider.png

Activation

As with all Summoning Weapons, the conjurer is required to channel the appropriate amount of Mana through the Staff before any summoning can occur. Upon being supplied with the correct amount of Mana, the latent instructions stored within the Weapon will execute, and the Summoner need only to point the Staff in the area in which you wish your Minion to appear. Assuming that the Staff has been correctly constructed, the remainder of the process is automated. If this is not the case, consider consulting your local Witch Doctor, who may be able to adjust, and possibly even fine tune the initial Summoning mechanism.

The vespian origin, alongside the physical properties of the Wax grant the Staff a basic blueprint for the resulting ethereal Construct, providing the baseline for its appearance and its offensive power. This, coupled with the fact that the Staff is comprised of nothing but Bee Wax, the Hornet Staff is one of the weakest Summoning Weapons available to the player. Summoned hornets differ from normal hornets in that normal specimens function as a member of a large, hive mind, and possess a predisposition to serve their Queen, by working to ensure the survival of their hives. This eventually manifests itself as it enables them to thrive in the otherwise hostile Jungle ecosystem. A summoned Hornet functions on a similar premise, though its loyalties lie elsewhere - to its summoner. Summoned hornets possess a modified “hive mind”, one telekinetic rather than instinctual in nature, allowing it to respond both to the will of its master and co-ordinate with its fellow Minions, attacking anything that is deemed a threat.

Note: All Summoning Staves have a built-in safety feature. Should your control over one of your Minions waver, they will automatically be dismissed. There exist certain equipment and enchantments that are able to supplement this control, effectively increasing the number of Minions you are able to summon before your control over them lapses.

The auto-dismissal feature is a relatively recent addition to summoner technology, and its absence in ancient times made the art of summoning a risky prospect indeed. During this period, any minion that escaped a summoner’s control would revert to its original aggressive behaviour. As enemies, these would have to be disposed of with caution. This is why, prior to the last decade, summoning was considered as a dangerous, albeit experimental art, and not a viable method of combat.

divider.png

Historians still speculate on how the practice of summoning came into being. According to the most popular theory, summoning originated in the Lunar era, as an experiment invented by ancient researchers (the same ones idolized by modern-day Cultists). At that time, the mechanism of monster spawning was already well-known: all you needed was an open space located a fair distance away from a human. Scientists still do not understand why human presence has any effect on the spawning of monsters, but after decades of investigation and many failed attempts, by using Stardust Fragments as a catalyst, they were able to force monsters to materialize in their presence. (For the first experiments, Slimes were chosen as test subjects—a wise choice. However, there are records that show that one research group met with a terrible fate after a night of partying, when one drunken scientist became highly curious as to whether it would be possible to summon a Dungeon Guardian using this method.)

Centuries later, Nebula researchers were able to enforce an early form of mind control on the summoned monsters, though due to the magical properties of the Nebula Fragments, this came at the cost of a small amount of mana. Sadly, very few monsters were judged to be compatible with this technology: only the Slime, Hornet, Fire Imp, and a select group of others. Scientists who attempted to harness the power of the mighty Duke Fishron and create the ultimate summoning weapon only found moderate success in the creation of the Tempest Staff. However, they also succeeded in attracting the attention of Duke Fishron himself, who then proceeded to devour the entire research team along with the weapon they had created. It may still be possible to recover their weapon by slaying the beast, but unfortunately, at this point, it’s unlikely that anyone would be able to rescue the scientists.

With the conclusion of the Lunar period, the power of the Lunar Pillars would disperse, though this would continue to manifest itself in its surroundings for the subsequent millennia. It is thanks to this residual Lunar energy that any scrub with a few Hellstone Bars or a handful of beeswax can create a viable summoning weapon with only the twitch of the index finger.

divider.png

kdcROYP.png

Cooking_Pot.png
Book.png

divider.png

Papa Pixel's Recipes - [Alchemical Romance]

When one moves forward, it is important to remember where they came from; thus, this segment is intended to be a one-off throwback to my personal roots as a writer on these forums, as a writer for The Boreal Bookshelf. I hope that you enjoy reading this blast from the past.

divider.png

<< The Alchemical Romance dish carefully unearths and handles the succulent taste of a fish from the tropics, combining it with an all-encompassing blend of alchemical herbs and gel in order to create a truly extravagant dish. >>

Serves 1-2 people.
Duration: 1 day.
Difficulty: Intermediate.

Ingredients

- Variegated Lardfish x1,
- Daybloom x1,
- Moonglow x1,
- Fireblossom x1,
- Waterleaf x1,
- Blinkroot x1,
- Honey Bottle x1,
- Gel x2.

divider.png

Method

In order to begin with this recipe, one must first obtain a Variegated Lardfish, fresh from the tropical waters of the Jungle. Lay the fish flat on a suitable surface before proceeding.

1. Prepare the fish by utilising a pair of sharp scissors to remove its fins, and, using the back of a knife, descale the fish by working the back of the knife from the tail end of the fish towards its head. Strokes should be rapid and short, and with the correct amount of applied pressure, the scales will detach from their resting places. Insert your knife into the tail end of the underside of the fish, and cut towards its head.

2. Spreading the now-exposed abdominal cavity of the fish, gently cut away at the inside of the fish. Remove any visceral organs and rinse the fish in water. Assuming the completion of all prior tasks, the fish is now fully prepared and ready for use..

3. Place the Gel inside a mixing bowl and add one bottle of Honey. Using a whisk, stir vigorously to aerate the Gel - the addition of air pockets serves to increase the surface area of the Honey-Gel mixture, so that it is better able to permeate the flesh of the fish, and thus allow for a more pleasant taste.

[Chef’s Counsel] - For best results, I recommend adding two fragments of Gel for every bottle of Honey. However, since preferences tend to differ between individuals, do not hesitate to add more or less as required.

Continue to whisk the mixture and slowly begin to add water until it forms a light yellow, non-gelatinous liquid.

4. Prepare the marinade by cutting the individual stems of each alchemical plant, setting aside any seeds you may find.

[Chef’s Counsel] - Do not throw the seeds away! The seeds obtained from alchemical herbs are able to be ground to produce spices, which are able to be used to season a variety of other dishes.

Dice the stems and petals before adding it to the Honey-Gel mixture, taking care not to further fragment the plants. The presence of a fruity aroma indicates that the marinade is ready to be applied to the fish.

5. Smother the marinade onto the Lardfish using a clean brush. Ensure a consistent spread of marinade throughout all areas of the fish, so as to ensure a balanced distribution of flavour. Leave the marinade to soak into the flesh of the fish for at least one day, reapplying the marinade sporadically, before proceeding. To cook the fish, skewer it on a sturdy stick, and cook over an open campfire until the flesh is able to peel off easily - this ensures that the fish cooks thoroughly, and ensures a consistent texture throughout the fish. Allow to cool for a few minutes before consumption.

[Chef’s Counsel] - For the finishing touches, use a platter woven from the leaves of the Rich Mahogany tree, garnish with the petals and shavings from the stem of a Jungle Rose, and serve with a glass of Shiverthorn Sherry.

^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^ Bon appetit! ^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^

divider.png

kdcROYP.png

Mana_Crystal.png
Mana_Booster.gif

divider.png

Terraria: A History - [Mana - A Comprehensive Analysis]

Mana. An enigmatic, ethereal quantity, invariably tied to the life force of all sentient life, flora and fauna alike. As old as time, and as expansive as space itself, it is a resource representing the essence and the limitless potential of the very universe it exists in. Many have tried to deduce its origin, doomed to failure by its refusal to follow the laws laid down by the astronomers of old. Countless scholars have slaved away, for hours each day, in the hopes of decrypting the mysteries of this semi-spectral entity, but each time they attempted to do so, it refused to yield to their inquiries. To this day the origins of Mana remains unknown. Science had failed to explain its presence and properties, henceforth it was decided that a more spiritual approach was necessary.

Through the analysis of a slew of religious texts, it was discovered both the practices of the extinct, physically focused chi practised by the Lihzahrd tribes, and the more mentally-inclined chakra taught by the Dryad monks of old bore similarities to Mana, though these teachings described Mana as the driving force behind every action, and required discipline in both the body and the mind if it was to be controlled effectively. During a time when both factions co-existed in harmony, Lihzahrd archaeologists unearthed a tome from the deepest and most secluded bowels of the world, which they promptly sent to their scholars to analyse.

The tome contained a conglomeration of characters, some of which the Lihzahrd recognised and used regularly in their own language, while the meanings and appearances of others had escaped them, rendering them unable to decode the tome. Desperate for answers, they turned to the Dryad to uncover the meaning of the text, only for them to be met with the exact same outcome. Thus, a council of elders was formed, where the most esteemed and celebrated scholars from each party would collaborate to translate the tome.

Countless days and nights arrived and left before any significant progress was made. The resulting translation was a peculiar one, for it was one unfamiliar to both races, and seemed to hold a strange and inexplicable power, for when they were spoken, all outside interaction would cease, as if Mother Nature itself was placed under its spell. Thus, the tongue of the Elder Gods, the ancient language, was born! However, all was not well, for it was only a matter of time before a zealous Dryad youth, in their excitement and arrogance, stole a copy of a fragment of the tome, leading to the discovery that reciting certain words in this language allowed one manipulate their surroundings, expending one’s energy in the process, thus heralding the discovery of Magic. This marked the beginning of a revolution the likes of which were never seen before.

Usage was plentiful in the past. All utilised their Mana for the greater good, protecting their loved ones and coming to the aid of those in need. The knowledge and use of magic continued to thrive, and all was set to remain well for eternity. That was, until the world was impacted by a meteor, one of titanic proportions. The resulting explosion ravaged their world. The Lihzahrd, having grown accustomed to living underground, managed to escape the destruction, but the surface-dwelling Dryads were far less fortunate, driven to the very brink of extinction. Learning of this, the Lihzahrd, in their sorrow, vowed to honour their pact with their Dryad brethren, by ensuring the peace of their world. However, this was not to last...

Ever since this cataclysmic event, the use of mana has diminished significantly, eventually forgotten by the Lihzahrd as they led increasingly provincial lives. Thus, it is no longer present in the abundant quantities that it once was. Despite this, however, a sliver of Mana still remains in each being, and with the correct items and incantations, is able to be called forth at will.

divider.png

The Manipulation Mystery

One of the recurring dilemmas concerning Mana is the manner in which it is utilised. Magical weapons function by drawing on this seemingly ethereal resource. Assuming one is fully knowledgeable in the ancient language, one need only to possess the correct tome and/or stave, and recite the correct words of power, granting the Mana both physical shape and form, allowing it to interact with the beings of the world. It is important to note that no two incantations of the same spell are exactly the same, for there will inevitably exist subtle variations in the quality and build of the magical item, and the loudness of the recitations.

Spells are able to be cast without the need of a prior recitation, though this is a dangerous venture. Without the words of power to grant the Mana its physical shape and form, it is forced to seek its instruction via the will of the caster. A transparent visualisation of the spell and a clear mind should be kept at all times, for should your concentration waver or your mind wander in the slightest, it could have disastrous results. As a result, this is a technique reserved for the elite, and those with an extensive knowledge of the spell which they are attempting to cast.

divider.png

Enrichment of Capacity

It is possible to increase the amount of Mana one possesses artificially via the use of a fragile blue star-shaped stone known as a Mana Crystal. It is composed entirely of stellar matter, and, when consumed, increases the Mana capacity of the user. Though its usage appears simple enough, the precise mechanisms involved at the molecular level are an order of magnitude more complex.

Upon microscopic analysis, it was discovered that Fallen Stars contain mutualistic extraterrestrial retroviruses (later named Fallen Star Virus, or FSV) that can enter brain cells and permanently insert genes encoding for an enzyme called FS3 nebulase. This enzyme possesses mana-retentive properties when expressed in nerve cells, and is the only means by which humans can absorb mana from the environment. The concentration of viruses within a single Fallen Star, however, is only 20% of the concentration required for absorption into the bloodstream; five stars must be consumed at once in order to experience the effect. The most effective procedure is to suspend the star residue in a soluble crystalline medium; this protects the FSV viruses from disintegrating upon exposure to sunlight. Most choose to use rock sugar, though alternatives exist for diabetic mages.

Unlike most retroviruses, FSV does not enter a lytic cycle, meaning that it will not reproduce within the brain (If it did, FSV infection would be an incurable and ultimately lethal disease). However, due to the viruses’ inability to reproduce, ingesting one Mana Crystal will not grant magical abilities to the entire nervous system, but only to a limited percentage of cells. A single Fallen Star contains a little over 2 billion FSV viruses, so in order to saturate all brain cells with copies of FS3 nebulase, 9 Mana Crystals must be consumed.

Infuriatingly enough, even though the FS3 nebulase gene has been fully sequenced, the mechanism by which it enables mana control remains a mystery. However, some important discoveries have been made. A protein found in Glowing Mushrooms shares a similar structure to the FS3 nebulase transcription factor, enough to increase the expression of FS3 nebulase in human cells. This is the reason why Glowing Mushrooms are the primary ingredient in Mana Potions. Furthermore, Unicorn Horns contain an organic cofactor that allosterically activates the FS3 nebulase enzyme, increasing activity even further. As a result, they are used in the synthesis of higher-quality Mana Potions.

divider.png

Mechanism behind ”Mana Sickness”

FS3 nebulase mainly plays a role in maintaining mana reserves. However, the potency of mana (in other words, magic power) is controlled by a different enzyme, HL3-transferase, which is normally not expressed except in the presence of FS3 nebulase enzyme. The problem is that the proper folding of both enzymes is performed by the same type of chaperonin. Therefore, when FS3 nebulase is expressed more (to increase mana reserves), less chaperonin is available to assist in the folding of HL3-transferase, which in turn reduces the availability of functional HL3-transferase, lowering mana potency. This temporary condition was given the name “Mana Sickness”.

divider.png

Other Findings

FSV was not the only genetic vector found in Fallen Stars, as it turns out. Fallen Stars also contain a virion known as DMV (Deathweed Mosaic Virus), whose only host on Earth is Necrophyllium fortwentii, commonly known as Deathweed. Among the genes encoded within the DMV genome, one codes for a polypeptide that is normally one of DMV’s capsid proteins, but can also act as an activity-enhancing cofactor to human HL3-transferase, though it can remain bound only for a duration of two minutes. The tiny amount of DMV present in a Fallen Star can be increased exponentially by allowing it to reproduce within Deathweed. (Deathweed is unique for being metabolically active even when dead.) Within the human body, the DMV capsid is hydrolyzed, releasing HL3-transferase cofactor and temporarily bolstering HL3-transferase activity. To this day, combining a Fallen Star, Deathweed, and Moonglow (which protects HL3-transferase cofactor from digestion) is one of the most effective ways to boost magic potency without using magic-amplifying equipment.

This concludes our analysis of Mana. As research continues to be performed on the finer details of its usage, augmentation, and mechanisms, our knowledge regarding this archaic quantity will continue to deepen. An air of progress is being maintained in this field, and attempts to incorporate the findings into items for commercial use are being met with promising results. In particular, species of Offerumenta naturale, otherwise known as the Nature’s Gift, are being studied extensively due to their affinity to Mana, despite the lack of evidence that suggests that O. naturale had evolved for such a purpose.

divider.png

kdcROYP.png

Shadowflame_Hex_Doll.png

divider.png

Short Story - [Voodoo Magic]
We, the writing team, make no effort to usurp the credit for this segment - it is to be given to Pixel, a member of the writing team prior to an unfortunate chain of events leading to their prolonged departure from these forums.

Hope the Steampunker was pounding her fist furiously against the locked door of Andrew's room, that had been completely bound with chains and locks, clasps and latches. There were so many locks that there was no sign of the undistinguished green paint the door had been unsparingly bedaubed with, nor was there sign of the door's handle. Even the window to the Guide's room had been locked to such a similar degree, for extra security measures. Whatever was going on in there, it was obviously confidential. "Open up, Andrew!"

Since Andrew's atypical disappearance, Hope had been regularly knocking on Andrew's door with the objective in mind to receive some form of acknowledgment. This had been the fifth day, and signs of stress had already began to show; her skin turning red and her fists becoming uncomfortably clenched as she smacked them against the door frame. Hope was going to get to the bottom of this, as much as she didn't possess any emotions towards Andrew the Guide. The Guide, on the other hand, was as besotted to the Steampunker as the Arms Dealer was towards the Nurse.

Whilst Hope put her strength to work against the locks and the door, the Guide was tinkering with his voodoo doll. The most part of his days spent in the confinement of his room was spent learning how to knit. He had mastered it within a few weeks. In fact, he could probably tell you some knitting innuendos, if he so desired.

Andrew was fed up with being the sacrifice to summon the Wall of Flesh, and so he had stolen the equipment from the Nurse's workspace, which had proved to be an arduous task. The Guide took the needle and created a backstitch, bringing the thread through the holes and fabric to a stop. A small tear fell from his duct as he looked at his creation with ecstasy and pride. A sense of relief consumed his entire body, and he stared at his work.

The Angler Voodoo Doll was complete. The death of the Angler, or otherwise known as Andrew's worst enemy, would compensate for the banterous pranks he had played on the Guide, in front of Hope. Not only that, but he would no longer be posed as victim to the satanic sacrificing that lured the presence of the Wall of Flesh. This most definitely was the master plan. And even though Guide was a decently-built man, he couldn't help but let out a giddy schoolchild giggle. Andrew took the voodoo doll and stuffed it into his jean pockets, and went to unlocking the chains, to the Steampunker's surprise. And what the Guide had expected to be a long embrace and smooch-session turned out to devolve into a slap in the face. The Steampunker's slaps were extraordinarily painful.

"ANDREW. HOW DARE YOU?" The Guide was still recovering from the impact of Hope's slap. He didn't have any words to say, and thus walked past. He descended the flight of stairs that joined the sleeping quarters to the hall, and ventured off in search of the Hero's storage. Once he felt the reassuring click of the door handle, he found the Voodoo Doll chest and deposited his creation inside. He could still hear the vulgar shouts of Hope from behind him, whom had followed him down into the rooms. She wasn't happy, that was evident. And yet, Andrew continued to dismiss her retorts.

Gareth, the Hero, grappled onto the underworld ceiling, taking extra notice of the bubbling lava that ran its course below his body. He dropped onto the platform he had built for this special occasion, entirely fashioned from stone blocks he would otherwise had discarded. From his pocket, Gareth withdrew a voodoo doll that didn't look much like the Guide, but rather the Angler. The Hero thought nothing of it, and threw it into the magma.

"Look, Andrew, what I'm trying to tell you is that if you modify the voodoo doll, it will kill you regardless!" Hope shouted, prodding her finger against Andrew's chest.

"I'm going to survive, Hope, I'm goin--!" The Guide's body exploded into a hundred different pieces, spraying blood on Hope's Steampunker outfit and running through the floorboards. His brain had been reduced to nothing, his insides had now become outsides. It didn't look too pretty.

divider.png

kdcROYP.png

Paladin.png

divider.png

Interview - [Samrux the Paladin]
For our debuting entry, we have decided to interview a member known and loved and all, our very own friendly neighbourhood Paladin, Samrux.

Q: What inspired you to make the literature you have been placed in TCF's history books for? What started it all off?

A: “The Paladin, introduced in the 1.2 update, was an interesting monster: Paladins are often represented as holy and righteous warriors in gaming culture, but in Terraria it wasn't only found as an enemy, but moreover surrounded by skeletons in a dark cursed dungeon. I wanted to explain where the paladin of the dungeon came from, and I liked the concept a lot. I quickly adapted it into my already-existing character Samrux, and later, into my entire forum persona. By then, the ideas I had about the paladin's origins were becoming more and more complex, and I wanted to share them with the community.”

Q: Did you have any difficulty writing your story and if so, what were the hardest parts?

A: ”The first and most persistent problem I encountered was the language barrier. English is not my native tongue, and I definitely didn't receive very good education for it; Because of that, I basically taught myself throughout my whole life. While I had most of the skills and knowledge necessary, during and outside of writing I had to constantly look up words and enrich my vocabulary to be able to express the story in the correct tone. It was my first time writing something actually serious, and thus, the first time I ever needed such a varied lexicon. Now, and ever since I started writing Story of a Paladin, I am able to use fancy words, like 'lexicon'.”

Q: What are your final thoughts on the project?

A: ”My final thoughts about Story of a Paladin? Well, for one thing, I'm a little upset, or disappointed, that I stopped writing. There was and is so much more to do and show, but it ended up being too much for me and I moved onto new things. These past months have also been very hard for me, impeding my return. I don't want for this to be another project that I leave behind uncompleted.

Yet, I am very satisfied with everything I accomplished (With a little but very important help from a few close ones, of course). The story means everything to me and my persona in these forums, and I'm so, so glad with how it all turned out: The final work, the community's response... It was a dream, and I am grateful. I have expressed my desire to continue writing it, when I have the time and health, of course.”

Q: Is there anything you would like to add before we conclude this interview?

A: “I want to thank the community. And yes, I know how that phrase is usually thrown around for the tiniest of reasons, but this time, I mean it in a much more powerful way. Terraria, manifesting itself as more than just a game, has shaped me as I've grown up. Not much the game itself (which has been an adventure as well), but the always-changing community surrounding it. That community has given me much, as I have given to it as well. That community taught me things, it made me do things; It made me develop my skills, and gave me goals. Most of those goals I did reach. Without the time I spent in Terraria Online and these very forums, I would be a much different person; I would still have the English level of a 10-year-old; I would have never known how it was to feel as part of a group, how it was to feel relevant; I wouldn't have met amazing people, that, while most can't really be called friends in the truest sense of the word, have inspired me and/or helped me through my ways.

These couple of years have been so much more than they appear. They have been an important stage of my personal life; I am still just a teenager, after all. And for all those things I have nothing more than to feel glad, grateful, and proud. Not the kind of pride that is felt in arrogance, but the kind of pride that is felt in satisfaction, for it has been a great ride.”

-- END OF INTERVIEW --

divider.png

kdcROYP.png

Comic Corner

Last edited:
It was great fun building this up from nothing beside you CC, and it's a shame I parted from the group and replaced by both incredible writers Baconfry and Derunih. I hope this project blossoms into something quite beautiful, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't doubt your competence in leadership and project management.

Good luck buddies.

Oh.
Interesting.
I'll look at this from time to time. Seems like a good idea. I don't doubt all of you, you are all good workers.

Can't wait to mow my way through and shove your adorable faces with my criticism. Awesome comic by the way, Delta. :p

Can I become part of this, Crocket? You showed it to me ;)
Looks brilliant so far! I haven't seen Baconfry's writing before but it all seems damn good.

I came here thinking that this was released some time ago. Convincing myself otherwise was later a pretty trivial task.

Many great examples of writing all huddled here, looks good so far. I'm going to keep up with this and probably re-read what I've missed when I've the actual time. Good luck Crocket & co!

Wow. This already looks amazing. Although, I'm a little confused on how it's going to work: are the entries just by the members of the team, or are you accepting entries? The intro made it sound like this was a mega-contribution project sort of like CC.

Also, I'm surprised no one caught this: Terae Opus. TO. TerrariaOnline has returned dun dun dunnn

Wow. This already looks amazing. Although, I'm a little confused on how it's going to work: are the entries just by the members of the team, or are you accepting entries? The intro made it sound like this was a mega-contribution project sort of like CC.

Also, I'm surprised no one caught this: Terae Opus. TO. TerrariaOnline has returned dun dun dunnn
I think entries are entrusted only to members of his team (subject to change???), but I believe he is still considering members. Someone earlier asked if they could join the team, if you have interest you probably should too.

I think entries are entrusted only to members of his team (subject to change???), but I believe he is still considering members. Someone early asked if they could join the team, if you have interest you probably should too.
the seed has been planted. i wanna join.

I think entries are entrusted only to members of his team (subject to change???), but I believe he is still considering members. Someone early asked if they could join the team, if you have interest you probably should too.
Oh, ok. Might consider it later, cuz I was thinking it would be something I would enter just every now and then (sorta like the CC), but if I find more time to join I'll give it more thought.

Back
Top Bottom