Terraria 2 ..?

Sspyrshlsx

Official Terrarian
So, as Terraria, that huge masterpiece, has come to an end with the 1.4 "Journey's End" update on PC, and other platforms will be receiving updates for the "One Terraria" project, after all those updates, well, will there be a second of the game? Like the Terraria Otherworld project, which was canceled? Since 'twas a very exciting experience to learn every single thing in the game (though I know there are things I didn't do still, like an expert mode run) and having brand new bosses, all brand new enemies and stuff would be, well... So exciting! I though know the "Calamaty Mod" exists for the PC, but I don't own a PC port for the game. Even tho, I'd like to see a 2nd game and asking if it is possible to you dear administrators. If you have any exact information about this, I would kindly ask. Thank you!

The problem with making a Terraria 2 is that all the new content in it can just be added to the base game instead, so unless it comes with big engine changes all the effort put into it is better spent making a 1.5 update

One of the reasons Otherworld was cancelled was that at the end of the day it was just Terraria on another engine.

Hello Sspyrshlsx,

In regards to Terraria 2, we don't know much more about it ourselves aside from what the public has already seen.

The Developers plan on making a new game after Journey's End for Terraria releases, but what that will be still remains a secret for everyone. Terraria 2 is something the developers are interested in, but there's no guarantee the next game will be Terraria 2.

With that said, I am equally excited about the concept of Terraria 2 and will love to learn more about it when the time comes for it. I'm sure when the time is right, information will be revealed about it. The developers don't want to repeat the same mistake with Otherworld by announcing it too early, so it will probably be the case that there will be a period of silence on the Developer's end while a new game gets developed after all platforms of Terraria get 1.4.

unless it comes with big engine changes all the effort put into it is better spent making a 1.5 update
Terraria is currently nearing the logical end of what it can do in its current codebase, the reason 1.4 is going to be the last major update is likely so they can get away from the horrifying underlying mess that the engine made of prayers and dreams is made of.

Terraria is very, very old. Even mods have to deal with some of the restrictions put in place by the dated code base the game uses.

One of the reasons Otherworld was cancelled was that at the end of the day it was just Terraria on another engine.
The primary reason is that development was outsourced to a group that basically took the money and spent a year spinning around in their chairs instead of actually making the game. Relogic cut their losses and shelved the project instead of continuing to sink funds into another year of nothing happening with third parties.

We will see a Terraria 2 in the future. I can tell that there's far too many ideas in the tank that Relogic wants to put out there into a solid game that just can't be reasonably done in this old engine anymore, and iirc Red put out interest for it as well? too tired to fact check this, someone correct me if I'm wrong lol

Don't expect its actual, final name to just be "Terraria 2" though. That'd be silly.

The problem with making a Terraria 2 is that all the new content in it can just be added to the base game instead, so unless it comes with big engine changes all the effort put into it is better spent making a 1.5 update

I think the main reason 1.4 is ending it, is that moon lord is the final boss. With all the epic build up, it wouldn’t make sense to add more bosses past that. Terraria 2 however, you can keep adding new bosses until you set yourself a final boss.

... The developers don't want to repeat the same mistake with Otherworld by announcing it too early...

Why was it an mistake? I mean they showed they working on something. Sure its sad that it got cancelled, but I dont see it as a mistake to talk about it

Why was it an mistake? I mean they showed they working on something. Sure its sad that it got cancelled, but I dont see it as a mistake to talk about it

I was mainly referencing what they stated in the cancelation thread here: Terraria: Otherworld - This is the End: Otherworld Development Cancelled

Re Logic felt it was a mistake to talk about the game as early as they did. They anticipated it would be ready the same year it was revealed, but development on it grew troubled.

Relogic has stopped Development of (Terraria: OtherWorld) indefinitely, but if any of you would like to see it come to fruition sometime in the future, then please help contribute here: Change.org "Redigit, the president of Relogic, has stated that if he can get 100,000 signatures and 15 dollars, he will open-source the game, This could allow people to see what Terraria: Otherworld could have been. Once it is open-source, modders, developers, and the community can work to finish the game themselves, and perhaps people can finally get to see the dream of Terraria: Otherworld realized in a playable form."... worth a shot ;)

Back
Top Bottom