Standalone Terraria Industrial Revolution

Sorry about the size thing (though any modern internet should make short work of it :/). Keep in mind T-IR isn't just a mod. T-IR is a complete game. The large size is almost exclusively the new music file. I intend to figure that out one day. Either the normal Terraria music is much more compressed/lower bitrate or .... well it has to be something like that. Unless the M$ sound studio supports MIDI/Module music I can't see how their file is so much smaller than ours. I chose to maintain stereo channels in our music since some of the chosen tracks have subtle effects that use stereo (The Molog Den is a primary example).

Last edited:
Sorry about the size thing (though any modern internet should make short work of it :/). Keep in mind T-IR isn't just a mod. T-IR is a complete game. The large size is almost exclusively the new music file. I intend to figure that out one day. Either the normal Terraria music is much more compressed/lower bitrate or .... well it has to be something like that. Unless the M$ sound studio supports MIDI/Module music I can't see how their file is so much smaller than ours. I chose to maintain stereo channels in our music since some of the chosen tracks have subtle effects that use stereo (The Molog Den is a primary example).
I'm not sure if this will help at all but it requires changing Terraria's sound bank file so you would have to add some sort of custom sound bank file of your own. But anyways: In Terraria's Content folder, there's a file called Sound Bank.xsb Which requires Microsoft's XNA Game Studio to open, and I don't know where to find an updated version but you would have to do some searching for it. This is the closest thing I have: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23714

If you don't know how to use it, look at this: http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/how-to-custom-soundtracks.21951/ (Really outdated thread, but I don't know anything else.)

This probably didn't help at all, but I'm adding it in anyway.

Quick edit: Are you sure you're saving the music files in .wav format?

Thank you for the somewhat in-depth effort. When last I researched changing the music for Terraria (years ago) I found it not possible to edit the music file. It was almost like trying to decompile most games. I assume this is why no mod at the time, and few mods now, try to change the music for Terraria. You could build your own music bank like you're suggesting, but you'd have to take care to use exactly the same amount of tracks and put them in the order you preferred according to the in-game music track list. T-IR doesn't attempt to alter the original music. T-IR has extended the music track selection by building an entirely new music bank and extending the code to use both the original and the new bank to play music. It is that music bank file that is rather large.

From what I researched, the music files had to be in wav format for M$'s Game studio to use them. When I get around to checking that out I'll once again see if I can use some compressed media format (MP3 etc).

Last edited:
So turns out I downloaded the wrong file... YAY. Now I gotta wait again with the best 100kB/sec download rate. Also have no idea if there is a right game sized mod game thing to download right now, so I'll hold off until later releases.

will there be a new download link, I would love to download this again and play it and check for bugs and give feedback, but the download link on the last page doesn't work

I wish it were easy to convey progress. Since I started posting about T-IR, I've learned that the majority of the community doesn't care much for the behind the scenes details. I think some exceptional progress was made over the past 6 months. I've finally put quite a few things behind me now as completed.

One possibly interesting thing that's been finalized are the liquids. Specifically Oil. That liquid was changed rather completely. The black liquid is now Tar. It's solid black and actually has a feature now. Oil wasn't much fun. It didn't do anything unique. Tar on the other hand dramatically slows down the players, the npcs, and the items that fall into it. This makes Tar a rather unique danger because unprepared players will likely find themselves drowning in Tar before they are able to escape. Grappling hooks save lives in T-IR :) The spawn of Tar has also mostly been implemented. We've decided to make a mini biome of it as well as random pockets. Since we don't plan to implement the granite and marble caves from 1.3 this should be a nice replacement.

Another likely interesting thing is a whole new entity known as a spawner. These will be varied in size and appearance, but in common they will share the function of spawning NPCs. I wouldn't think of these as just a different way to spawn NPCs. These will be implemented to create some dangers in specific areas. They have 4 states currently. As you do various things like approaching them or attacking them their spawn rates climb and can overwhelm unprepared players. to give you some visual imagine a bee hive that spawns bees. When you get too close it begins to swarm. It you attack a hive you're likely to call the entire colony out.

There have been many internal rearrangements with the goal of reducing memory usage, but none of that stuff will be interesting to most of you.

As with many amateur creations (and often professional projects), we're the victim of feature creep. We start new things before finishing current things. I'm trying my best to halt the creep and tie up loose ends.

Last edited:
I would say that there is also a good side of this feature creep - You are less likely to forget about these things if You already started them. It works as some kind of reminder. If I was to judge, I'd place the unique world generation features on the first place, as they seem to be the very best part of Your mod.

I agree that new terrain to explore is the main attraction. I believe having a map 2.5 times the size with 1.1 times the content isn't very useful though. That's why I won't put out a full release.

So much work was done behind the scenes and with new mechanics. I doubt anyone but a programmer would appreciate the work that went into these mechanics. There's over 2200 lines of code server side in just the core of the tile hardness mechanic alone. Not to mention the integration snippets here and there, or the client side bit. The liquids code was quite the challenge. A lot of things were rewritten to give that mechanic the ability to scale with any number of liquids and more randomness on the generated block placement. Next, we have the Starmap. There are 3 components of the Starmap that had to be created: client side, server side, and master server side. Then, the call for vehicles comes in. Originally, I didn't know how in the world I was going to make that happen. When the mount system came out for Terraria I decided to use that. Now, I've decided to go in a different direction with vehicles. I'm moving all of my code out of the mounts and creating whole new entities for them.

So, where does this leave us? Well, that's a tough question. I'd be willing to put something legit out if I finish the crypts, the molog den, and all of the early items content up to hard mode. On that note, how close are we to that goal? If I had my way the crypts would be done inside a week and the molog den maybe another week. The early industrial item content isn't really hard to implement unless those items relate to some other mechanic that's labor intensive to create.

I'll end the rambles there and leave you guys with some pictures.

This is the Bonepile Spawner that will be in the crypts. It's main function is to spawn enemies thereby making the crypt zone fun and challenging. It will also drop an item used in the crypt for something ;)
bonepile01.png
bonepile02.gif
bonepile03.gif
bonepile04.gif

1. Inactive - On screen player not in spawner's zone.
2. Active/Idle - Player in spawner's zone.
3. Agressive Spawning - player in spawner's zone and in spawner's line of sight.
4. Enraged Max Spawning - player in spawner's zone, in spawner's line of sight, and within aggro range. OR Spawner has taken damage and inside cooldown timer.

Last edited:
I agree that new terrain to explore is the main attraction. I believe having a map 2.5 times the size with 1.1 times the content isn't very useful though. That's why I won't put out a full release.

So much work was done behind the scenes and with new mechanics. I doubt anyone but a programmer would appreciate the work that went into these mechanics. There's over 2200 lines of code server side in just the core of the tile hardness mechanic alone. Not to mention the integration snippets here and there, or the client side bit. The liquids code was quite the challenge. A lot of things were rewritten to give that mechanic so it can scale with liquids and more randomness on the generated block placement. Then we have the Starmap. There are 3 components of the Starmap that had to be created: client side, server side, and master server side. Then the call for vehicles comes in. Originally, I didn't know how in the world I was going to make that happen. When the mount system came out for Terraria I decided to use that. Now, I've decided to go in a different direction with vehicles. I'm moving all of my code out of the mounts and creating whole new entities for them.

So, where does this leave us? Well, that a tough question. I'd be willing to put something legit out if I finish the crypts, the molog den, and all of the early items content up to hard mode. On that note, how close are we to that goal? If I had my way the crypts would be done inside a week and the molog den maybe another week. The early industrial item content isn't really hard to implement unless those items relate to some other mechanic that's labor intensive to create.

I'll end the rambles there and leave you guys with some pictures.

This is the Bonepile Spawner that will be in the crypts. It's main function is to spawn enemies thereby making the crypt zone fun and challenging. It will also drop an item used in the crypt for something ;)
bonepile01.png
bonepile02.gif
bonepile03.gif
bonepile04.gif

1. Inactive - On screen player not in spawner's zone.
2. Active/Idle - Player in spawner's zone.
3. Agressive Spawning - player in spawner's zone and in spawner's line of sight.
4. Enraged Max Spawning - player in spawner's zone, in spawner's line of sight, and within aggro range. OR Spawner has taken damage and is within enraged count down.
Seems cool!

This legit makes me more excited than 1.3 did somehow. I think I said something along those lines earlier.

Is there gonna be a source code available? I'm actually curious to see the magnificent castles of code

Is there gonna be a source code available? I'm actually curious to see the magnificent castles of code
I can't imagine there is any license that would allow me to get away with releasing any Terraria source code to the public. This code certainly isn't the original Terraria source code, but it certainly is source code enough to be completely copyright infringing to just release it to the masses. Likely a EULA or some law exists somewhere that states something about backwards engineering prohibition. It's with the hope of having the grace of the owner(s) that I continue planning a real release. If any of you have followed T-IR since I posted about it nearly two years ago on the old forums you'll remember T-IR wasn't ever going to be released. It was just something I was compelled to do for my own amusement and wanted to talk about with the modder community.

Do you program or have you programmed in C#? I'd be interesting in chatting here and there about random code experiences if so.

Do you program or have you programmed in C#? I'd be interesting in chatting here and there about random code experiences if so.
it's a yes/no situation, I learned C# in school and in general got interested in programming, and figure source codes can help me learn more. Heck, I'm even installing Linux to my PC now to throw myself in the developing world more.

I bet it would help you learn more C#. I'm like 90% sure I wouldn't have anywhere near the level of programming knowledge I have now if it wasn't for source modding Terraria. Terraria is what motivated me to teach myself how to code. I think the majority of the knowledge that's been helpful isn't just with syntax and concepts so much as techniques for doing things in video games.

Back
Top Bottom