Mobile Terraria Mobile Bugs & Issues Status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow this thread is a bit massive. :confused:

I read the list(s) the Dev posted, and wonder if there will be any more updates to it. I don't want to repeat any glitches that were already mentioned.

One bug that wasn't mentioned here (maybe because it is for a different topic) was the rare, but major, issue of the game some how making a save file that supposedly is a 'newer version' than the current up to date game app, and refuses to load the character file or world file because of it. A short while back, my first character got locked up by this, and have been put off from playing the main game ever since. :(

I'm reluctant to start a new character or play on a new world out of fear of possibly overwriting my first character I put so much time into. Plus he is also carrying a few rare dropped items (ones that spawn once per world or so) that I'd rather not replace by raiding a second world; along with the valuable stuff he had on him.

Anyway, I do have a list of other bugs and glitch effects not mentioned to the list. I tried to read the whole thread but got a bit cross-eyed after a while, so sorry if these were mentioned already.

One major issue that I've noticed almost instantly is extreme game instability upon switching between programs. Most often other apps shut completely down and require a restart, but this game app doesn't play it safe and shut down when a restart is critically needed and treks on with its questionable cached files (needed files which may have been unloaded to save memory when the user switched to a different app for any reason) until it glitches and crashes. Stability ranges from crashing on return, to crashing with in seconds of interaction (especially with the inventory menu) or somehow is able to get some of its act together and can run for 5-15 mins... before finally crashing due to some random cause.

I switch between apps often, and bounce around between the browser, a small (memory little) program or two, and sometimes between a graphics heavy app or two. Out of all of the apps I left and came back to, Terraria is one of the glitchiest. I can't even rely on closing the program to clear the memory. I leave the game, and when I come back, it pops back up as if I only switched out of the program and came back. That does me no good, since now it leaves the game memory in an unstable state, and I have to play until it crashes, or Force Close the game to clear the problem.

Even with making sure I have a 'clean' set of files in active memory, and not dare switch out of the game, instability still creeps in, but takes much longer for it to become critical. However, I have noticed some behavior patterns have shown up before a crash.

A reproducible one is when the game stutters and lags while scrolling through the craft menu. This is still doable outside of this, scrolling in other menus, but the length of the craft menu gets rather large very quickly, making it an easier way to trip up and crash the game. If you scroll too fast, the game crashes, but it doesn't if you take your time. However, once that stuttering and lag is there, it will not 'clear up' and stays until the game is reloaded properly again.

Actually, almost anytime where it lags/stutters is where it is vulnerable to a crash (on a Galaxy Note 3 at least). If on a Minecart skybridge, zooming out of one biome to the other, if the program is unable to process that in a quick enough time, it crashes. Often it feels like it comes close to losing it, but most times it is able to deal with it. I don't know what other factors could push it to the tipping point, other than playing for awhile or switching out and back into the game and introduce instability.

There are a few different kinds of lock ups the game does before it likely crashes.

One kind of lock up actually does not lead to a crash, and is kind of humours. What happens is something will case the game movement to freeze, but checking the menu or inventory are both free and available. While locked in place, particle effects will pile up in place (like torches or sparkling chests) and can be seen spotting the source object. After about less than a minute, things are free to move, and the particle effects burst from their sources and everything is fine.

Unfortunately, most lock ups are not that benign. Most often the screen will freeze up seconds before it is forced to close; or the image will freeze, but the game will still keep going, evident by the sound effects being played in a way that is consistent with what was happening at the time, and playing sounds in response to pressing parts of the screen where buttons are, or should be when they would normally pop up. Sometimes it is possible to guess what is happening, and can close the game semi gracefully, saving the progress, by blindly pressing the menu buttons.

Back to the 'new version' save file iissue... I have been hit, very rarely, with that message while playing the game. But until recently, they were not an issue, since after 2 mins a proper save file will be written and that was the end of the issue. The major issue with it came when it happened right before a crash, leaving me with the (hopefully only) locked out character file. I just hope there is a backup file in the system...;( When those have happened, while playing, they never seemed to cause any added instability to the game. Not sure how useful that is, but better to have a bit too much info than too little.

I've since been poking the game, checking to see if that 'newer version' character file is still there, and toyed around with the tutorial game. Of course it has some bugs that some people here are familiar with, and have hashed out possible causes since I've been exploring it and testing it out.

On a semi related note, change the names of the tutorial app and the full game!-_- They show up as the same name in the app menu, Application Manager, and Google Play. With the nomenclature confusion, it is little wonder people get upset being asked to pay again, since the trial app of the same name is going to keep asking the user to buy the game.

Plus, it isn't even a trial game, it is the full game's tutorial! That in of itself gives users a misconception of what to expect. Either rename it as a tutorial/sandbox, with the clear notation that you can't save files, and there is much MUCH more to the game than what is shown; or redo the entire thing, and name it Terraria Lite/Trial and allow the player to at least fight one or two bosses on a small trial map. Otherwise, your teaser game app is going to attract less people to buy the full version, since it doesn't have much of any 'hook' to it to want to bother with the full game, especially with the glitches both currently have.

Anyway... to the glitches I found, and not mentioned on the list.

I could have sworn I read this somewhere here, but the mention of the last tutorial dialogue box not disappearing properly was something I didn't find (or missed) on the list of glitches. If you don't absolutely make sure you tap the screen on the last text box, while not in the inventory menu, it will keep displaying itself when you open up your inventory menu, and block buttons. Even then, that may not prevent the issue, and it is rather annoying to work around.

A less problematic, but more player-frustrating glitch, is the game recognizing the wrong enclosure to consider as the House the player is making. If the player fully digs out the mine pit the tutorial gives (one with the indestructible walls), and then covers the top of it, like with wood platforms so not to fall in, or to use as part of their home's floor, the game will see the mine pit itself as the home that is being conducted for the purpose of the tutorial. Since they can't pick away three vertical blocks for a door from that purple rock, the tutorial will be stuck at that whatever stage of home building it is at until the mistaken enclosure is made invalid by removing one of the 'roof' blocks from the mouth of the pit.

A cosmetic oddity is Obsidian Walls, rather than Dirt Walls, being found behind mined stone around the tutorial Mine Pit. Might be an artifact from making the map for the tutorial, or an Easter Egg, but it is rather odd.

Phew :sigh: Wrote more than I expected. Hope some of it helps.

Wow this thread is a bit massive. :confused:

I read the list(s) the Dev posted, and wonder if there will be any more updates to it. I don't want to repeat any glitches that were already mentioned.

One bug that wasn't mentioned here (maybe because it is for a different topic) was the rare, but major, issue of the game some how making a save file that supposedly is a 'newer version' than the current up to date game app, and refuses to load the character file or world file because of it. A short while back, my first character got locked up by this, and have been put off from playing the main game ever since. :(

I'm reluctant to start a new character or play on a new world out of fear of possibly overwriting my first character I put so much time into. Plus he is also carrying a few rare dropped items (ones that spawn once per world or so) that I'd rather not replace by raiding a second world; along with the valuable stuff he had on him.

Anyway, I do have a list of other bugs and glitch effects not mentioned to the list. I tried to read the whole thread but got a bit cross-eyed after a while, so sorry if these were mentioned already.

One major issue that I've noticed almost instantly is extreme game instability upon switching between programs. Most often other apps shut completely down and require a restart, but this game app doesn't play it safe and shut down when a restart is critically needed and treks on with its questionable cached files (needed files which may have been unloaded to save memory when the user switched to a different app for any reason) until it glitches and crashes. Stability ranges from crashing on return, to crashing with in seconds of interaction (especially with the inventory menu) or somehow is able to get some of its act together and can run for 5-15 mins... before finally crashing due to some random cause.

I switch between apps often, and bounce around between the browser, a small (memory little) program or two, and sometimes between a graphics heavy app or two. Out of all of the apps I left and came back to, Terraria is one of the glitchiest. I can't even rely on closing the program to clear the memory. I leave the game, and when I come back, it pops back up as if I only switched out of the program and came back. That does me no good, since now it leaves the game memory in an unstable state, and I have to play until it crashes, or Force Close the game to clear the problem.

Even with making sure I have a 'clean' set of files in active memory, and not dare switch out of the game, instability still creeps in, but takes much longer for it to become critical. However, I have noticed some behavior patterns have shown up before a crash.

A reproducible one is when the game stutters and lags while scrolling through the craft menu. This is still doable outside of this, scrolling in other menus, but the length of the craft menu gets rather large very quickly, making it an easier way to trip up and crash the game. If you scroll too fast, the game crashes, but it doesn't if you take your time. However, once that stuttering and lag is there, it will not 'clear up' and stays until the game is reloaded properly again.

Actually, almost anytime where it lags/stutters is where it is vulnerable to a crash (on a Galaxy Note 3 at least). If on a Minecart skybridge, zooming out of one biome to the other, if the program is unable to process that in a quick enough time, it crashes. Often it feels like it comes close to losing it, but most times it is able to deal with it. I don't know what other factors could push it to the tipping point, other than playing for awhile or switching out and back into the game and introduce instability.

There are a few different kinds of lock ups the game does before it likely crashes.

One kind of lock up actually does not lead to a crash, and is kind of humours. What happens is something will case the game movement to freeze, but checking the menu or inventory are both free and available. While locked in place, particle effects will pile up in place (like torches or sparkling chests) and can be seen spotting the source object. After about less than a minute, things are free to move, and the particle effects burst from their sources and everything is fine.

Unfortunately, most lock ups are not that benign. Most often the screen will freeze up seconds before it is forced to close; or the image will freeze, but the game will still keep going, evident by the sound effects being played in a way that is consistent with what was happening at the time, and playing sounds in response to pressing parts of the screen where buttons are, or should be when they would normally pop up. Sometimes it is possible to guess what is happening, and can close the game semi gracefully, saving the progress, by blindly pressing the menu buttons.

Back to the 'new version' save file iissue... I have been hit, very rarely, with that message while playing the game. But until recently, they were not an issue, since after 2 mins a proper save file will be written and that was the end of the issue. The major issue with it came when it happened right before a crash, leaving me with the (hopefully only) locked out character file. I just hope there is a backup file in the system...;( When those have happened, while playing, they never seemed to cause any added instability to the game. Not sure how useful that is, but better to have a bit too much info than too little.

I've since been poking the game, checking to see if that 'newer version' character file is still there, and toyed around with the tutorial game. Of course it has some bugs that some people here are familiar with, and have hashed out possible causes since I've been exploring it and testing it out.

On a semi related note, change the names of the tutorial app and the full game!-_- They show up as the same name in the app menu, Application Manager, and Google Play. With the nomenclature confusion, it is little wonder people get upset being asked to pay again, since the trial app of the same name is going to keep asking the user to buy the game.

Plus, it isn't even a trial game, it is the full game's tutorial! That in of itself gives users a misconception of what to expect. Either rename it as a tutorial/sandbox, with the clear notation that you can't save files, and there is much MUCH more to the game than what is shown; or redo the entire thing, and name it Terraria Lite/Trial and allow the player to at least fight one or two bosses on a small trial map. Otherwise, your teaser game app is going to attract less people to buy the full version, since it doesn't have much of any 'hook' to it to want to bother with the full game, especially with the glitches both currently have.

Anyway... to the glitches I found, and not mentioned on the list.

I could have sworn I read this somewhere here, but the mention of the last tutorial dialogue box not disappearing properly was something I didn't find (or missed) on the list of glitches. If you don't absolutely make sure you tap the screen on the last text box, while not in the inventory menu, it will keep displaying itself when you open up your inventory menu, and block buttons. Even then, that may not prevent the issue, and it is rather annoying to work around.

A less problematic, but more player-frustrating glitch, is the game recognizing the wrong enclosure to consider as the House the player is making. If the player fully digs out the mine pit the tutorial gives (one with the indestructible walls), and then covers the top of it, like with wood platforms so not to fall in, or to use as part of their home's floor, the game will see the mine pit itself as the home that is being conducted for the purpose of the tutorial. Since they can't pick away three vertical blocks for a door from that purple rock, the tutorial will be stuck at that whatever stage of home building it is at until the mistaken enclosure is made invalid by removing one of the 'roof' blocks from the mouth of the pit.

A cosmetic oddity is Obsidian Walls, rather than Dirt Walls, being found behind mined stone around the tutorial Mine Pit. Might be an artifact from making the map for the tutorial, or an Easter Egg, but it is rather odd.

Phew :sigh: Wrote more than I expected. Hope some of it helps.

Nice big text about the game's glitches, and I totally agree with this :)

Nope. That was mentioned multiple times.
Must be worded differently, but there was so much there, that I'm not too surprised I missed it if I was looking for a specific word that wasn't used.

Getting key words correct for things can be an issue. I currently don't consider the 'new version' error as a 'file corruption', since wouldn't it give a different message if it were really totally unreadable?

This is also assuming the one post I quoted in a different thread isn't correct, and that files that make that 'newer version' error has a size of 0 KB, making it more than just a corrupted file.

I'm still trying to get confirmation about the existence of .bak save files in the mobile version, like what is on the PC verison. With how .bak files are named, it suggests they maybe backup files that could be used to recover practically all of the progress a player has made (excluding the last 2-4 mins of play before the crash). Which is why uninstalling the game would ruin any chance of recovery.

To repeat what OP said on January 4 about the Amazon update:

Hello, where is our update?

Could someone at least let us know what's delaying the update?

To repeat what OP said on January 4 about the Amazon update:

Hello, where is our update?

Could someone at least let us know what's delaying the update?

If you read the thread, you will see that they shared some news about it literally yesterday.

Hi all,

Had a PM conversation regarding Amazon, and thought I'd share here what I shared with a fellow TCF user.

I do wish we had more to share! We in Support are all on the weekly status calls at 505, and there are still crashing issues related to cloud save sizes that need to get resolved with Amazon before the update can go live. We know everyone is eagerly awaiting the update, but we would rather not push one out that has these problems just to say we did, especially with some of the big issues that were in the iOS and Google Play updates in December. It will receive the same bug fixes and content, but iOS and Google Play had critical failures that actually went live, so those needed to be addressed as quickly as possible.

It's not a case of favoritism or us ignoring Amazon; it was simply what had to be done at the time. Had those things like the iOS7 cloud save and the Google Play repurchasing issue been identified prior to release, those would have been delayed as well. We continue to work with Amazon through this issue, and while forward progress is being made, it will still take some time to resolve.

If you read the thread, you will see that they shared some news about it literally yesterday.

I'm sorry, it's hard to keep up with the updates among all the other things going through the thread. I've been visiting this thread fairly often and it must have slip past me. (We are up to at least 88 pages)

Thanks for letting me know

Last edited:
Hi all,

Had a PM conversation regarding Amazon, and thought I'd share here what I shared with a fellow TCF user.

I do wish we had more to share! We in Support are all on the weekly status calls at 505, and there are still crashing issues related to cloud save sizes that need to get resolved with Amazon before the update can go live. We know everyone is eagerly awaiting the update, but we would rather not push one out that has these problems just to say we did, especially with some of the big issues that were in the iOS and Google Play updates in December. It will receive the same bug fixes and content, but iOS and Google Play had critical failures that actually went live, so those needed to be addressed as quickly as possible.

It's not a case of favoritism or us ignoring Amazon; it was simply what had to be done at the time. Had those things like the iOS7 cloud save and the Google Play repurchasing issue been identified prior to release, those would have been delayed as well. We continue to work with Amazon through this issue, and while forward progress is being made, it will still take some time to resolve.

Windows Phone is in a similar boat in that try as they might, the dev/QA team cannot reproduce the reported launch crashes. We understand that this may be difficult to believe, but we have no reason to lie, because a lot of work was put into the update, and we want as many players as possible to enjoy them. Terraria is a complex, growing beast of a game, so trust us that all platforms are of high priority and importance to us here at 505.

With that being said, thanks for your continued patience and we hope you all have a great weekend!

All I can say to that is "easier said than done". You'd be surprised how remarkably hard it is to replicate certain issues, even on identical devices (because in this day and age, no device is truly identical), not to mention . . . it requires split attention to a vast number of issues, and its difficult to focus that hard on any one and sustain dialogue and communication with (admittedly ephemeral and often hard to contact) forum members.

If you can't replicate it at home on your own, or get exact, precise details on how to do so, its almost impossible to fix, and the former isn't working, and the latter doesn't work nearly as well as you might think.

When will the windows phone bug fix be done i bought yesterday and i'm disappointed.:(

Its not only them....its MS as well. I mean a repeatable crash is pretty much the literal definition of a submission blocker - and yet clearly the MS testers did not experience it either. Noone denies it exists of course....just that until they can get ahold of a device that does it, its elusive.

There are plenty of folks out there, I'll grant that....but I'm not sure how best to leverage that.

Okay, It was reported that there was a complete rebuild on the code for the Windows Phone version and that is was close. Can any news be confirmed on it being closer? I have reset my phones to 8.1 with no other apps installed on both lumia 1520 and 640, the terraria app closes the same as it did with the new update. The Lumia 640 was pretty much the current phone at the time of the update. It should be one of the test units.

Why can't the previous release before the fishing update be released back to the store instead of keeping a broken app available for people to purchase knowing it will not work? Even if it says Terraria(No winter 2015 update, no fishing, but hey it works) in the store would give a lot of relief to people that have just recently purchased the game and those of us who really love the game.

I'm happy the android and ios versions have had some fixes since the release and amazon, at least, has a working version. Windows Phone only has a broken release with no way to go back... disappointed.

My bug is that chaos element isn't spawning in my 2 worlds. I defeated everything and idk plz do something about this, I want the rod of discord

@Kil8 I have one, did you think their drop rate was bugged?

@XxDarkCometxX They do spawn, but very, very rarely which is still a bug. I've only managed to encounter 2 in a total ~300 hours of playing.

Lucky Coins are exceedingly rare in general. If you are concerned there is a bug, keep closely in mind that it is possible to do dozens of Pirate invasions and never see one.

@505 Games Support More bugs:
  • You take half as much fall damage as usual when riding the Slime Mount.
For me, the slime mount doesn't even do damage... -_-
[DOUBLEPOST=1453645239,1453644739][/DOUBLEPOST]
  • There should also be a dedicated up/down button while having the board equipped since hovering is impossible with current controls.
  • There used to be an option for switching between fixed joysticks and free-tap ones, could that be reimplemented?
I agree, but we also need this with the master ninja gear.

Its not only them....its MS as well. I mean a repeatable crash is pretty much the literal definition of a submission blocker - and yet clearly the MS testers did not experience it either. Noone denies it exists of course....just that until they can get ahold of a device that does it, its elusive.

There are plenty of folks out there, I'll grant that....but I'm not sure how best to leverage that.

I know this for the Windows phone, but if they need an example of the android version crashing, I have it happening on all of my android devices. Not sure how it could not be reproduced. Happened on my LG Optimus G Pro and is happening on my Note 4 and Galaxy S5.

Lucky Coins are exceedingly rare in general. If you are concerned there is a bug, keep closely in mind that it is possible to do dozens of Pirate invasions and never see one.
I have this problem with the scaly truffle, as it should be a 1/100 chance with 50% fishing power, and 1/50 chance with 100%. I have 90% and I did well over 100 catches in the cavern Crimson snow biome for this. I got 4 zephyr fish and no truffle. Is this a bug or bad luck?
[DOUBLEPOST=1453645585,1453645505][/DOUBLEPOST]
@Lowdown That would be nice as well, but it is still possible to by double tapping the left joystick in the left or right direction while it's up.
true.

Hello All!
Makes me feel like a snitch for reporting stuff like this, but I'm pretty sure crystal bullets aren't supposed to stack like this...View attachment 93172
(They were all crafted in one big batch btw)
Also, if I buy more than 2000 musket balls at once the counter weirds out a bit, the first digit doesn't wind up in the same place as the last three digits.

Cheers
now you encountered something rare here...

I have this problem with the scaly truffle, as it should be a 1/100 chance with 50% fishing power, and 1/50 chance with 100%. I have 90% and I did well over 100 catches in the cavern Crimson snow biome for this. I got 4 zephyr fish and no truffle. Is this a bug or bad luck?

In my opinion, that isn't enough to have any certainty of a bug yet. User error is always a possible factor, and with around a 1/60ish chance, 100 attempts is hardly a guarantee. Keep trying. :)

Hoping for a new update. Just for a quick survey, does anyone experience constant freezing and crashing? I just recently entered hardmode, and the game crashes and freezes more which is annoying. I end up loosing items I've been grinding, game freezes, gone. I've lost cash. Say I die, respawnables, freeze. My items actually disappear. Had a spider staff for a while, saved, the game crashed, spider staff was gone. (spent a lot of money getting g ruthless). Finally, you should summon the frost legion, the snowmen don't attack and they walk backwards...its really funny and cheesy.

I guess you left them on the fire too long

Another bug, if you craft something then run out of ingredients, the thing you were crafting is no longer at the top of its category (e.g craft a star veil, when you can't craft any more it goes to its original place in the armor/accessory crafting menu) but you follow it to the original place. This means you have to scroll all the way back up after you craft something which is really frustrating.
I get that, but I find it's way quicker to switch to a different crafting category and back than it is to scroll back up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom