Terraria: Roses and Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baconfry

Terrarian
Alright, guys. I've noticed that debates within the suggestion forums can get really intense sometimes, so I decided to make this thread to put it all in perspective. What I'd like to see you guys do is to list two previous additions to Terraria. Hopefully people can keep those in mind while discussing things down in that lively place.

The first should be one that you agree with, due to being clever and/or adding new dimensions to gameplay. Try not to list big things like 1.1 hardmode or the Crimson, though. We all know that these are good.

The second one you list should be one that you might question a bit. Might be because it's not worth the cost, or just serving no purpose, or throwing off game balance. (And try to talk about something other than lifesteal, thanks.)

My rose is the 1.2.4 fishing mechanic. Not only did it enable the addition of several cool new buff potions, but it gave a use to many of the critters that previously only served to absorb stray projectiles and make the occasional splattering noise. Not to mention Duke Fishron.

But my thorns are the Witch Doctor and Dye Trader. Don't get me wrong, the Witch Doctor sells useful things. And the Dye Trader is... there, I guess? He lowers the enemy spawn rate, at least? But my bone to pick with these guys is that everything they sell can be implemented in other ways. The Dye Vat can be sold by the Traveling Merchant. (Yes, the Traveling Merchant was introduced after the Dye Trader was, but it's a little late to get rid of him now.) Vials of Venom can be crafted from Spider Fangs (and maybe some Chlorophyte, for tiering). The Hercules Beetle could even be an independent enemy in the HM Jungle, and the rest can be added as boss drops/RNG drops, chest loot, etc.

So, what are yours? (By the way, a thorough review of existing game features may have unintended consequences, like coming up with suggestions. http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?forums/player-suggestions.13/)

Last edited:
My rose would have to be the one in my hair.

I'm kidding, kidding.

Rose has to be a name for the Dryad.

I'm kidding, still kidding.

My rose is probably the slopes and half-slabs. They're absolutely wonderful for adding some more detail to a home to make it just right.

The thorn to go with the rose is almost certainly the lack of an upside-down half slab.

Rose: The whole light system, its simply amazing if you know how to use it.

Thorn: Breaking a Demon Altar spawns a bit of Corruption randomly in your world.

Last edited:
Thorn: Corrupters, not them entirely, but the fact they spread the corruption wherever you go. You walk home from a long trip in the Corruption, then you go in an AFK farm, and then half of your home is corruption.
Yeah, removing that feature in the PC version was a good move.

roses: vampire knives
I love the theme and combat style of the weapon, it demonstrates what a end game weapon should be capable of (which is a :red: ton of things). from far range bringing havoc to large swarms of flying enemies, and up close dealing substantial DPS to a single target. It's a brilliant weapon to have in your arsenal for any chosen damage class.

thorns: vampire knives
confused? Well let me clarify. Vampire knives are my favorite weapon because of the way the attack works. however the life steal that it has highly limits what the developers can do with this item as a weapon. They can't make it too powerful, or else you go demigod mode. but since it's so weak, it can't be used as even a secondary weapon for me.

Although the niche of the weapon itself is supposed to be the life leaching effects, I believe it totally ruins it as a weapon, notching it down to a tertiary weapon for me when I am absolutely desperate for health. It saddens me that one thing... ONE thing that seems so small, can completely ruin this otherwise perfect weapon for me.

One could argue that spectre hood is just as bad, but at least it has an alternative variation that doesn't focus on your inevitable survivability.

Rose: hard to pick, it's just all so great. I guess I like how characters can travel between worlds. It's so nice to not be restricted to one alt/ world layout per character.

Thorn: The fact that most of the endgame content is holiday themed. Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas as much as the next guy, but it just doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of terraria when you are playing in june.

Rose: All the different ways to play/look like. You got class armor (which should be made multi-class), accessories, smart cursor, a ton of weapons, the pickaxe/drill debate, and almost too much vanity armor.

Thorn: The fact that the stuff introduced in 1.2 is stronger than the stuff before. I want Tin, Lead, Tungsten, and Platinum as alts with the same power but different looks, not one being more powerful than the other! The same kind of goes for the Crimson/Corruption as well, but to a lesser extent.

Rose: Wow, this is hard. Some highlights include fishing, smart cursor, vanity slots, dinosaur pet, pets in general, and so much more.

Thorn: Spiders. A toggle option would be nice :p I'm also not a big fan of the lack of a Hallow alt for the Crimson. And the evils destroying the jungle, that was a bad idea.

Roses: Music boxes, vanity items, dyes, tons of different enemies, tons of weapons and armor to choose and smart cursor. Putting walls in my houses is a breeze now :happy:
Thorns: Summoner class is too weak, ranged has limited survivability compared to melee and magic, jungle gets destroyed by crimrruption, no alt hallow and you don't get a Hoverboard-like acessory on the same tier as the Fishron Wings.

Roses: mostly everything especially weapons and items for special crafting, just finished my flesh house! :)
thorns: Quest rewards from Angler, pretty cool to add quests but rewards should be fixed, after more than 25 quest you get some potions and APRENTICE bait or a life preserver? c'mon...another one, the throne, just one...there should be more and they should be also for setting spawn point

Last edited:
roses: turtle armor. its simply amazing. who doesnt want your enemies to feel the physical pain they inflicted on you.
thorns: the affect of rng on the key molds. because of it i dont have the vampire knives im sure ill need for the pumpkin moon. from my experience it is the most angering thing in terraria out of all the time ive played

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom