Terraria: State of the Game (11/8/18)

Discussion in 'Console - 505 Games/Pipeworks Studio' started by Safeman, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Proto Persona

Proto Persona Brain of Cthulhu

I'm sorry, but no. While the languages might be different, coding for consoles is in many ways simpler. Having a single discrete system dedicated to games running a slim OS is much easier to program for. To say otherwise tells me you don't have much actual knowledge of programming.

Saying they have poor coordination is not a valid excuse. We are not talking about a small group of hobbyist working in their spare time. This is a professional business doing this for a living. They should be held to a higher standard.

Your experience is just that, yours. If tons of people were having the game hard lock up on them, the complaints would be seen here. The only such complaints have been about consoles.

Personally my PC version has never done this, not even on a busy screen, not even while hosting a server. If Terraria on PC is completely freezing and unresponsive for an entire second for you, it's your hardware, and not the fault of the game. The PC version of the game runs fine for the majority of us. So no, it is not impossible to achieve.

I personally am not interested in letting completely false information stand without some form of rebuttal.

2. ShadowOfDarkness

ShadowOfDarkness Terrarian

It's being recoded FROM THE GROUND UP. It's not just an update.

GalaxyShard and Proto Persona like this.
  3. Ilmarinen

Ilmarinen Headless Horseman

I want to talk about that goblin shark thing some more. Will each biome have it's own blood moon "fish"? Will they have special drops? Will there be some sort of expansion to the Angler? Will there be Solar Eclipse fishing too?
    I really hope the next spoiler expands on this new mechanic a little.

4. ShadowOfDarkness

ShadowOfDarkness Terrarian

I'm gonna guess: No, Yes, Yes, Maybe.

5. coffeemancer

coffeemancer Terrarian

Play the update on PC

Daikonradish likes this.
  6. Ilmarinen

Ilmarinen Headless Horseman

It's entirely possible that mobile as a platform is just now getting to the point that it can really handle a game like Terraria. Most mobile games have tended to be rather limited.

7. Proto Persona

Not all of that time was Pipeworks though. The first half of that wait time was another company (Codeglue in the case of mobile) trying and failing to port the game's patches under their own code. When ReLogic and 505 switched to Pipeworks they basically started over again. So the timer is closer to 2 years that work on the current version has been going on.

8. Why does PC always get the good stuff? mods, 1.3, new minibiomes, new enemies, lunatic cultist, solar pillar, vortex pillar, nebula pillar, stardust pillar, moonlord, demon heart, expert mode, solar eruption, daybreak, and now this?! MADNESS! Everyone who plays on other platforms hate PC players as much as the moonlord hates you

9. Lord Garak

Lord Garak Retinazer

Because PC is the best platform and easiest to code on. Everything has to be slowly converted onto inferior hardware with massive limitations to bring this content to Console and Mobile.

Baconfry likes this.
  10. Proto Persona

Because PC is the platform the original creator works on, so it's the lead platform. ReLogic does nothing for consoles and mobile, that's outsourced to another company. They are completely rewriting the game for consoles and mobile because the engine the PC version is written in doesn't work on any other platform. That makes them take longer, which puts them way behind PC development. Not to mention all the bugs the rewrite is introducing that they have to take time to fix.

11. MasterOfBacon

MasterOfBacon Steampunker

Can you please fix the Xbox One Edition screen resolution for local split screen, I can not see my hearts nor can the other players see their hearts or mana.
    Also there is no setting to adjust the screens border to match your TVs resolution. Hopefully this gets addressed ASAP cause it really is making a bad impact on game play and overall game progress. Still love the game regardless :)
    (I don't know if PS4 users experience this issue as well)

12. CfanN_7

CfanN_7 Terrarian

--- Double Post Merged, Nov 20, 2018, Original Post Date: Nov 20, 2018 ---
    Since mouse and keyboard support is on both consoles now can we see them in terraria console?

13. Lord Garak

Lord Garak Retinazer

What do you mean "not for many"? It isn't a subjective measure, it's objectively superior. If you want to consider individual needs then we can talk. Limitations are generated from inferior devices.

Yello_Xplorer likes this.
  14. Yello_Xplorer

Yello_Xplorer Plantera

PC gaming is better because of the lone console for the hardware, unlike smartphones and tablets where they just cram everything on a small platform so they can't really make extreme ones. Though each of them has their own ups and downs, it lies on the players' decisions to choose, not the developers. True, the update time gap between PC and the other platforms are huge, because the PC version is the original one and the others are written in a whole different code, just like how Minecraft: Java and Minecraft: Pocket Edition used to be.

And before you get to "Minecraft can do it, why isn't Terraria doing a better job?", Terraria has more things to implement, unlike Minecraft with the small things. So, it's just a matter of time until we all get One Terraria

Lord Garak likes this.
  15. coffeemancer

coffeemancer Terrarian

Because it's a PC game on Steam

Lord Garak and Daikonradish like this.
  16. Cyberra

Cyberra Skeletron

Ugh, please don't bring that "PC master race" bullslag into this. I'm sick to death of hearing it. I'm one of those for whom PC gaming is not an option (my computer is an old refurb; I can't afford anything better) and by this point it's gone past "irritating" well into "infuriating".

I've never played anything with mods, so I have no experience with them. Likely my only experience with mods at all will be the Skyrim special edition once I get around to playing it. I just wish the pace would pick up so we get the 1.3.1, 1.3.4, and 1.3.6 stuff sooner

17. Lord Garak

Lord Garak Retinazer

No one said "PC Master Race". No one said PC is the superior choice for you. It is a fact that PC is the superior development platform.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 20, 2018, Original Post Date: Nov 20, 2018 ---
    At the risk of continuing to derail this thread, what exactly are you looking for? People have given you reasonable answers for why PC development takes priority over other platforms. You're just ignoring those answers and repeating your question in subjective terms. Being ignorant to the trials of development is not a sin, but prevailing that ignorance instead of acknowledging reality is.

18. Tunnel King

Tunnel King Administrator Staff Member Administrator

All of you: stop this pointless debate/argument about PC vs console vs mobile, before it completely derails this thread.

19. coffeemancer

coffeemancer Terrarian

I hopes and Dream for updates on every console; but PC has it now. Please enjoy Terraria

20. Cyberra

Cyberra Skeletron

Did 1.3 add anything new to the Christmas event? I know it's still weeks away, but I still want to know