terraspark boots aren't worth it

Quality of life. You don't need to make the Terraspark boots you know, they exist to let you use the lava waders basically, since its hard to justify taking up an entire accessory slot just for a water walking potion effect. Same deal with Frostspark boots, they exist to let you use the ice skates without needing an extra accessory slot. Terraspark boots don't need to be super strong, they just need to be nice.

In other words, Terraspark boots exist to let you have fun with some niche accessories that you would otherwise have a hard time using.

And boots get outclassed nearly the moment hardmode starts anyways.

what does any of this have to do with bosses

ice skates are completely irrelevant, you are NEVER fighting a boss over thin ice or anything

3-4 mph over amphibian boots is not really significant... other than for wall of flesh maybe?

again, the only time where water walking/lava resist is useful for a boss is wall of flesh, but like, just use a water walking pot lol, you'd progress through the game much faster by just using a potion once than grinding for the whole damn accessory
The whole reply isn't about bosses, just the lightning boots part. I feel like that was already pretty clear, but I'll edit it a little.

I need every bit of speed I can get when fighting bosses such as moon lord, the twins, and EoC, at least in expert mode, which is the only mode I play on.

Yeah, the water walking function isn't useful for bosses, but it is useful for... you know... Not dying in lava and traversing over liquids. I feel like that was pretty clear since I explicitly said that in the reply.
I hate traversing through liquids, but the terraspark boots let me walk on top of all of them. And the lava waders help you not die in lava.
There is nothing in that sentence mentioning bosses at all.

Having all these useful things only is one accessory is definitely worth the grind imo.

Edit: Wording / Grammer

Here's my take on terraspark boots:

Lightning boots are a solid item, and a fairly meaningful upgrade over spectre boots. In pre-hardmode it (and its upgrades) is the best all-around mobility item that you don't need to go too out of the way for. Only bundle is stronger, but that one (usually) requires quite a grind to get in pre-hardmode, though in hardmode it's a lot more manageable.
However, in hardmode, lightning boots gets outclassed by amphibian boots for 2 main reasons:
  1. When using wings, the 32% increased ascent speed from amphibian boots is significantly more useful than 0.7 seconds of additional flight time from lightning boots.
  2. The increased running speed from lightning boots does not affect your horizontal movement when flying, since every pair of wings better than angel/demon already has 34+ mph horizontal speed in the air, and the game uses that speed instead of your boot speed (if it is higher) when airbourne.
I'm also just considering wing-based mobility setups here. If using a mount as your main mobility, either with bundle of balloons (e.g. basilisk, wolf, hexxed branch) or without (e.g. witch's broom, ufo, cute fishron), you'd skip boots entirely.

When upgrading to terraspark boots, the main issue is just how little you get over lightning boots for the amount of effort you need to put in. The obsidian rose means that terraspark boots are only pre-boss by technicality, in the same way that the demon scythe is. By the time you get them, liquids really aren't too big of an issue, aside from lava. Obsidian skin potions are a much more effective solution for lava, and are fairly cheap, so it's not unreasonable to bring some with you whenever you plan to go around lava. As for walking on liquids, water walking potions also exist, and while the crafting recipe is a bit more annoying (due to shark fins), you tend to get quite a few as chest (and pot) loot over the course of a playthrough. From loot alone it's pretty easy to have enough for all of your liquid walking needs (namely wall of flesh and/or duke fishron).

Another reason terrasparks fall off during hardmode is that lava becomes less and less of a hazard the more you progress through the game. Sure you might encounter lava during early hardmode mining (which you can just use obsidian skin to deal with), but once you have your hardmode ores there's little reason to be around (natural) lava. That's not even considering the fact that with hardmode mobility, avoiding falling into lava is trivial, plus hardmode armour defence means lava won't hit nearly as hard. Regarding player-placed lava, building arenas with lava covered floors to prevent mob spawns is an effective strategy (I do it quite often, especially on higher difficulties). However, you are only going to be using your arena for boss fights and/or invasions, so you might as well just add obsidian skin potion to your combat potion set. This means that terrasparks are offering little value over lightning boots at this stage of the game.

Imo, the main use cases for terrasparks is if you don't use potions (either by choice or as a self-imposed challenge) and/or you want extra insurance against the don't dig up or get fixed boi seeds' 200 damage lava, which doesn't make a strong case for their use on an average playthrough.

To summarize, I don't think they are very good due to their very short window of relevancy (mid to late pre-hardmode to late pre-mech) combined with just how much effort you need to put in to get them. If you happen upon a lava charm (or magma stone), obsidian rose, and water walking boots during a playthrough, then by all means use terrasparks. I just don't think they're an item that's worth putting effort into grinding for on 95% of playthroughs.
If you are someone that rarely ever uses potions, I highly recommend trying them out. Building and maintaining an herb garden is a far less time-consuming task than obtaining terraspark boots, and has much greater rewards (obviously useful for boss fights, but also allows easy access to builder/mining/spelunker/obsidian skin for general building/exploring). Even if you ignore the fishing aspect of potion-making you'll still get a ton out of them (I personally take a minimal fishing approach and only go for endurance + lifeforce, and maybe summoning), and having a good herb garden allows you to use potions significantly more often.

Last edited:
Well, I think there should be an upgrade for Terraspark boots. They should make it look as much as cool as the normal terraspark, though. I do agree with the original post and you, however. what Terraspark boots grant isnt really worth it in terms of combat.
"Zenithflare boots"? (The naming alone gives you a good idea of the coloring of the upgrade...) Not sure what it would do though. The only idea I have is to combine it with the ninja climbing gear and lucky horseshoe(as if I recall, the Terraspark boots still don't block fall damage)

"Zenithflare boots"? (The naming alone gives you a good idea of the coloring of the upgrade...) Not sure what it would do though. The only idea I have is to combine it with the ninja climbing gear and lucky horseshoe(as if I recall, the Terraspark boots still don't block fall damage)
Adding "Zenith" to accessory's name is pointless, but if you can find a better name then I actually like this one. And yep, terraspark does not block fall damage.

I dont like the "Zenith" on the name because I dont like "Zenith items" type of stuff. And the name "Zenith" should only be special for the weapon in my opinion.

Other than that, I would name it something like "Terrahero boots" to match up with its achievement name (boots of the hero).

Terraspark Boots are very CRUCIAL and VITAL in my opinion due to all of its benefits and capabilities it provides the player with. I never ever do a playthrough without them.
Said benefits and capabilities are mostly convenient instead of *actually* making a difference or saving time, most of the time.

Being able to walk on top of water isn't gonna save you from Spazmatism incinerating you with its cursed-inferno flamethrower. Amphibian Boots's higher ascent/jump speed however gives you a better chance at avoiding it.

Not breaking thin ice isn't gonna help you escape Skeletron Prime's spinning head if you get caught. Cross Necklace's extra i-frames however will.

Terraspark Boots's extra effects are simply convenient at best during exploration and don't actually make some big impact in the gameplay that would make it "CRUCIAL and VITAL". Not to mention you can replace most of its effects with Obsidian Skin Potion, Water Walking Potion and (for fighting Duke Fishron) wood platforms.

I agree, Terraspark boots' advantages are more so novelty; luxury items more so. Resistance to lava, not breaking ice, higher rocket time, walking on liquids, resistance to hot surfaces - all of these are luxurious that make traveling a tad smoother. However in means of Combat they are easily outclassed by amphibian boots' agility, furthermore ease of craft

Liken it to the obsidian shield, losing knockback is cool but not enough to sacrifice a slot for

I am sorry, but that Accessory slot is absolutely worth it for the knockback immunity. Knockback Immunity is a blessing and no one can tell me to not equip a KB immunity shield.
Agreed, partially at least. For me it depends on the run, or rather on how long I take to get the shield. In one of my runs I got so used to getting bounced around by everything that by the time I got the shield, it felt weird to not get bounced around anymore and I unequipped it soon after.

Terraspark boots are the only ones I make, tbh I've never tried Amphibian Boots (at least not that I remember) but I think I'd just be thrown off by the vertical speed boost. If I want to fly up quickly I'll bring the winged slime mount into a boss fight instead.

"just dodge" is never a good argument.

But that's how I freed myself from luxury items, I bit the bullet and died time and again, eventually the muscle memory set in and the damage awarded me a swift victory.

Although it's a journey, it is unreverseable

I do acknowledge casual playing so: killing your enemy in a few hits or even one is great compensation

Terraspark boots are the only ones I make, tbh I've never tried Amphibian Boots (at least not that I remember) but I think I'd just be thrown off by the vertical speed boost. If I want to fly up quickly I'll bring the winged slime mount into a boss fight instead.
yep, similar thing here tbh

i've never actually seen or gotten amphiboots before, while i at least have terrasparks on my main (i think my old one has it too but not sure) and they're adequate enough for what i need: said main is primarily used to explore worlds quickly and shred-farm bosses with the zenith, so dodging isn't usually needed though i have CSB+SI to cover that if needed, can't go wrong with 150mph vertical and 84mph horizontal
for non-overpowered stuff, i'm pretty sure in all of my playthroughs i got lightning boots, they really don't require that much effort, luck is required, sure, but you'll almost always find an aglet in early wooden chests, hermes boots are at least fairly common, rocket boots are bought from the goblin tinkerer, the jungle one is definitely the hardest... but even then i've found that spectre boots are plenty adequate if i don't get the two boosters (i frankly never felt a difference between spectre and lightning lmao)
as for mounts, yeah the queen slime one is really good for its ridicilous upwards speed, but really, the UFO (or its upgrade, the broom) is usually enough for most cases... ML deathray might be troublesome for those but many wings at this point have a 50-60 (or higher) mph ascent speed so you can just disengage mount, fly up and avoid, then engage mount again

It’s not just a qol item, it’s a qol item that takes up one slot. Having that many qol perks in one slot, especially in the later difficulties when you can sacrifice a slot, makes the terraspark boots 100% worth it (even if it is just qol). Terraria isn’t just a boss rush game, you know!

I might be wrong but I personally think that every "boots" accessory becomes almost useless in hardmode. It is also one of the reasons why "Quick" accessory reforge is not cared by anyone after hardmode.

Amphibian boots is not as good as people say it is in my opinion. I almost never felt the effects of the amphibian. I still have no idea what auto jumping does, and extra jump height is simply unnoticeable to me.
That is not even mentioning the fact that you never really wander in the ground in hardmode. In hardmode, you always fly with wings, and that is why "Quick" reforge becomes useless. The movement speed buffs only affect the speed on ground, so every "boots" accessory becomes almost useless in hardmode.

If you manage to get Terraspark boots early on, they are maybe the best accessory you got the whole pre-hardmode. Combine it with a "Quick" reforge and your mobility is beatiful. Movement speed is important in Pre-Hardmode, so Quick reforge and stuff like Terraspark boots are your best friends the whole time before the Wall of Flesh.
Let's not forget that Balloon accessories are also affected by movement speed. Bundle of horseshoe balloons with some good movement speed is perfect.

Everything takes a different step in Hardmode though. Unless you are preferring Bundle of horseshoe balloons over wings (which I do until like, Post-Plantera) there is no reason to keep movement speed buffs. Wings are not affected by movement speed buffs, and due to you basically always flying all the time, movement speed buffs become obselete. Its a whole different story in Post-Plantera, where Soaring insignia exists. Empress of Light is not easy, but she will give you nice stuff open your victory. Her wings, prismatic dye and Soaring insignia are her best blessings and Jewel of Light, but anyway to you. Get those and you will never need balloons or movement speed ever again.

I think if Terraspark boots had upgrades that functioned as both wings (flying mobility) and boots (flat ground mobility) throughout the game like they do in Calamity mod (I love Seraph Tracers, spiky wings go hard) then they would be absolutely worth getting. Being able to fly and get nice mobility on the ground from one accessory is something everyone would want. I dont know if something like this could actually exist on the base game, because unlike the mod I gave example of, Base Terraria does not seem like a place where some mobility accessory like that could be balanced. If someone suggested some accessory like this, Red is probably gonna slap the saying "too overpowered" like how he slapped it to asphalt platforms.

In summary, I think all the "boots" accessories, even the amphibian boots that people love so much, is almost useless right after hardmode. In Pre-Hardmode, movement speed and thus "boots" accessories are extremely good, but in hardmode there is a high chance of you not feeling their effects at all.

Last edited:
I need every bit of speed I can get when fighting bosses such as moon lord, the twins, and EoC, at least in expert mode, which is the only mode I play on.
for moon lord you can use asphalt, infinite flight mounts, or insignia + betsy's wings, for twins you have asphalt and blessed apple, and eoc is easy enough to beat with hermes boots

speed aside, in hardmode you want to use amphibian boots for bosses and not terrasparks; a measly 4mph speed boost doesn't hold a candle to greatly increased ascent with wings
Yeah, the water walking function isn't useful for bosses, but it is useful for... you know... Not dying in lava and traversing over liquids. I feel like that was pretty clear since I explicitly said that in the reply.
yeah that's my bad, i read that wrong. but again, you can literally just mine around lava, or just pop an obi pot if you really need to be in lava for whatever reason, which i can't really see happening after you mine hellstone.

for moon lord you can use asphalt, infinite flight mounts, or insignia + betsy's wings, for twins you have asphalt and blessed apple, and eoc is easy enough to beat with hermes boots

speed aside, in hardmode you want to use amphibian boots for bosses and not terrasparks; a measly 4mph speed boost doesn't hold a candle to greatly increased ascent with wings
Personally, I just use a mine cart track for the Twins. I also use one for Moonlord sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom